I Want to Preserve My Braidout

Isis

After all this time on LHCF, wearing braidouts, I feel I should know the answer to this by now but I don't. :lol:

I wore a braidout to church for Easter and it turned out so well, I really don't want to rebraid it tonight. If I wear my hair out but tied with a satin scarf to bed, like I'm doing right now, I feel that my hair that's hanging out and ends might dry out overnight. If I wear a scarf and put my length up inside of a satin bonnet (which I learned from Sylver2 for straight styles), my hair would stay moisturized but I'm pretty sure my waves will be flattened.

I welcome any and all suggestions. :spinning:

pink_flower

How are you applying your bonnet? I wear rod sets a lot so to keep my curls I flip my hair over and apply my bonnet from the ends of my hair up(if that makes sense). The end results in my curls being way on top of my head(looks kinda like a chef hat). It looks crazy but it makes my sets last longer and I find it encourages my curls more. I think that would work for a braidout.

Cincysweetie

I spritz my hair with my water/glycerin/EVOO mix, add some NTM Leave-In, then section my hair into 4 sections and braid each section. Then I cover it with a bonnet or scarf. Works well for me, this helps preserve the style for days.

Isis

pink_flower said:
How are you applying your bonnet? I wear rod sets a lot so to keep my curls I flip my hair over and apply my bonnet from the ends of my hair up(if that makes sense). The end results in my curls being way on top of my head(looks kinda like a chef hat). It looks crazy but it makes my sets last longer and I find it encourages my curls more. I think that would work for a braidout.
Pink flower - This is interesting, thank you for your suggestion. I remember your album from before - you have really mastered flexirod sets. I'm going to see what happens when I do this with my bonnet!

BTW, your hair looks very pretty (and still long) with your recent trim!

Isis

Cincysweetie said:
I spritz my hair with my water/glycerin/EVOO mix, add some NTM Leave-In, then section my hair into 4 sections and braid each section. Then I cover it with a bonnet or scarf. Works well for me, this helps preserve the style for days.

Cincysweetie - thank you also for your suggestion. Your technique looks really good but I'm trying not to rebraid this time. Usually, I braid in 4 box braids (I too really like that NTM leave-in). This time, I want to preserve my current braidout as is without rebraiding my hair for the night.

pink_flower

Isis said:
Pink flower - This is interesting, thank you for your suggestion. I remember your album from before - you have really mastered flexirod sets. I'm going to see what happens when I do this with my bonnet!

BTW, your hair looks very pretty (and still long) with your recent trim!

Thanks Isis! Let us know how it turns out.

amy1234

Gather your hair over your head and secure it gently with a headband (it will look like a high ponytail) before going to bed. Release your hair in the morning, you may need to flatten it out a bit but you won't loose any of the waves. HTH

Isis

*Dee* said:
Gather your hair over your head and secure it gently with a headband (it will look like a high ponytail) before going to bed. Release your hair in the morning, you may need to flatten it out a bit but you won't loose any of the waves. HTH

Thank you Dee! It sounds like your suggestion and Pink flower's are similar, mainly getting the hair up on top of the head to preserve those waves. Now do you wear a bonnet over this Dee or just leave your high ponytail loose?

Isis

Lady_Lioness said:
Thanx Isis for bringing this topic up...I need to know this aswell
Bumping for more suggestions...
You're welcome Lady Lioness! I'm learning something new here!:)

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
To keep curls or waves I usually do a "pineapple".....I gather up all my hair on top of my head and clip w/ duckbill clips or one of those claw clips, then tie my scarf on loosely. I look like a conehead but it works, lol.

Ladylynn

pink_flower said:

This is what I do also. To make sure the hair stays on top of my head, I may use some hair pins to keep it there. I have one of those satin bonnets with the top open that uses a ring to secure it . You can make it as small or large as you want. These stop the hair from getting flat since the bonnet is larger.

Isis

Pokahontas - your "pineapple" with the scarf tied loosely sounds like it works very well. I don't mind looking like a conehead at all! :lol: Thank you!

Ladylynn - thank you for your comment. I didn't know they made this kind of a satin bonnet, with an adjustable opening at the top. Where do you get yours?

Cincysweetie

Isis said:
Cincysweetie - thank you also for your suggestion. Your technique looks really good but I'm trying not to rebraid this time. Usually, I braid in 4 box braids (I too really like that NTM leave-in). This time, I want to preserve my current braidout as is without rebraiding my hair for the night.
Oh, okay. I thought you didn't want to rebraid each braid--which is how I am, so I only do a few compared to how many I do when first doing a braidout. I can't put mine on top of my head b/c it doesn't want to fall right in the morning after being tied up all night.

Dee-Licious

Pokahontas said:
To keep curls or waves I usually do a "pineapple".....I gather up all my hair on top of my head and clip w/ duckbill clips or one of those claw clips, then tie my scarf on loosely. I look like a conehead but it works, lol.

How do you do your hair in the morning? does your hair be like stuck in the position pointed up from being in the clips all night? or does it fall back like it is supposed to be?

BklynHeart

I keep my hair pinned up as well. My only problem is that since I sleep on my left side, in the morning that side is mashed up!:look:

Isis

BklynHeart said:
I keep my hair pinned up as well. My only problem is that since I sleep on my left side, in the morning that side is mashed up!:look:
:lol: That's what I'm wondering about! I haven't heard the other ladies mentioning this yet. Are you wearing a scarf or a bonnet over yours?

Isis

Yay it worked! :clap:

I finally did it last night. I bent over and while I was bent, held the length in one hand like a ponytail and put Good Hair Days pins with the other hand all around my hair at the scalp. I used my oversized silk bonnet and put it on loosely , while still bending over. When I stood up, my bonnet was sitting loosely on top of my head. I pinned the edges down all around and used my scarf as a tie, to secure my bonnet. I had to laugh at my high-headed self!:lol:

This morning, my hair looked just as wavy as it did the night before. It didn't notice any mashing on the sides either. :lol: I just arranged my hair down and put on a scarf for a few minutes, to train it back in place.

Thank you Pink flower, Dee, Pokahontas, BklynHeart, Cincysweetie and other ladies for your great tips and comments.

This is yet another time saver plus less manipulation and a safe way to preserve existing braidouts (and other wavy styles). As a hair nourishing bonus, bending over for a minute or two really gets the blood rushing to the scalp. :spinning: