Finally decided to wear my own hair.....

fancypants007

I have wore wigs, braids, etc. for over 2 years and I made the big decision to wear my own hair in a braidout as a protective style. I followed Sylver2 method and it worked great! I am very impressed at how long my braidout lasts. I'm equally impressed in that I thought my hair would get caught on things, well it didn't. I was concerned about my ends brushing up against clothing other than silk/satin and split, well my ends seem OK. I do my complete braidout following Sylver2 method on wash day, and then I don't comb my hair until next wash day. I apply moisturising products to my hair every AM/PM and tie up with satin scarf/wrap + satin cap and go to bed. I use oils, anti-frizz serum and whipped baggy cream on my ends and they seem to be holding up. When I apply my moisturising products (AM-NTM Silk Leave-in/PM John Frieda Secret Weapon + Wonder 8 oil) and as I'm massaging it through my hair, I've noticed that I don't have many hair strands on my hands which is also impressive to me. I'm loving my hair right now and will be wearing braidout all through the winter months into the summer and hope I will get some good hair growth. I didn't think braidouts was a protective style, but my ends are protected with serum/oil everyday, and I moisturise twice a day. It's also low manipulation because other than moisturise my hair, I do nothing else to it until wash day. My hair is a little past brastrap and for soooo long I just didn't wear my own hair and many friends would ask me why. Perhaps I was not satisfied with my hair or wanted it to grow more. Well let me tell you, I am loving my hair and the results I have achieved from all the hard work and effort put into trying to make my hair healthy. I just wanted to share. I will post pictures as soon as I get them developed.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Enjoy that hair, girl! You've worked hard for it! Swang it and flaunt it and love it as much as you want :D

*patiently waits for pictures*

likewtr4chklit

Wonderful....you may as well enjoy the fruits of your labor. I decided to wear my own hair in a bun today instead of my phony pony.

almond eyes

I started wearing my own hair out in May and I love it especially when I started getting the hang of the braidout. I don't think I can ever go back to braid extensions again unless I would like to have a different look for a special occasion, but if I want that I'll simply do a flat iron or press and curl. If I want a more 'wet' look with my braidout I don't use gel just my moisturisers and sealants. If I want a 'dry' look braidout then I use gel occasionally.

Best,
Almond Eyes

sylver2

I have wore wigs, braids, etc. for over 2 years and I made the big decision to wear my own hair in a braidout as a protective style. I followed Sylver2 method and it worked great! I am very impressed at how long my braidout lasts. I'm equally impressed in that I thought my hair would get caught on things, well it didn't. I was concerned about my ends brushing up against clothing other than silk/satin and split, well my ends seem OK. I do my complete braidout following Sylver2 method on wash day, and then I don't comb my hair until next wash day. I apply moisturising products to my hair every AM/PM and tie up with satin scarf/wrap + satin cap and go to bed. I use oils, anti-frizz serum and whipped baggy cream on my ends and they seem to be holding up. When I apply my moisturising products (AM-NTM Silk Leave-in/PM John Frieda Secret Weapon + Wonder 8 oil) and as I'm massaging it through my hair, I've noticed that I don't have many hair strands on my hands which is also impressive to me. I'm loving my hair right now and will be wearing braidout all through the winter months into the summer and hope I will get some good hair growth. I didn't think braidouts was a protective style, but my ends are protected with serum/oil everyday, and I moisturise twice a day. It's also low manipulation because other than moisturise my hair, I do nothing else to it until wash day. My hair is a little past brastrap and for soooo long I just didn't wear my own hair and many friends would ask me why. Perhaps I was not satisfied with my hair or wanted it to grow more. Well let me tell you, I am loving my hair and the results I have achieved from all the hard work and effort put into trying to make my hair healthy. I just wanted to share. I will post pictures as soon as I get them developed.

Aww man..CONGRATS!!! thank u so much for visiting my fokti. Im so glad it was able to help you:grin:would love to see pics

tapioca_pudding

Can't wait to see! :) I have only tried a braidout twice (both times unsuccessful) since joining LHCF. I might give it another go. :)

ajoyfuljoy

Can't wait to see! :) I have only tried a braidout twice (both times unsuccessful) since joining LHCF. I might give it another go. :)

When I first started doing braidouts they sucked! Now they are one of my favorite styles. Just keep trying, it will work for you :yep:

LadyPaniolo

I keep thinking I'll start wearing my hair out soon... but there are so many other things I want to do like lace braids, tree braids, curly weaves.... I'll be at WL before I wear my own hair out! :grin:

Jazzmommy

Congrats...
I'm waiting for pictures too... I've been "hiding my hair" for almost 2 years now. I trying to wait at least one more year... :look:

fancypants007

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement and support. One thing I found quite interesting was very few people said anything to me about my hair. Now understand, I wore braids/wigs, etc. for over 2 years, but prior to that i wore my hair in a hair bun (approx. 1 1/2 years) and other styles where my hair was up and protected, not down. Alot of my friends have not seen my hair out, and I have been on my job going on 5 years and they have never seen my hair down. One of my coworkers made a comment, and I saw other coworkers take a sneaky but subtle look at my hair but never said anything. Also only one of my friends told me my hair looked cute. One of my other friends I think was checking me out to see if this really was my hair and not a weave or hairpiece attached. I'm not complaining that no one said anything, in fact I think it is quite cool. I really don't think my hair is long but I just decided that I had to do something instead of hiding my hair under braids or wigs. I think I will go back and forth putting braids in after 2 months because Sylver girl, I don't know how you deal with all the hair you got and then you stretch for months. I can only go 4 months and then I need to get a touchup. But you know, one thing I noticed was a little breakage in the back nape area which is a very vulnerable spot. I'm thinking it may have come from my last touchup which was 4 weeks ago, because some stylists think my hair is thick, but I've been told I have fine texture hair, but I have alot of volume. Anyhow, I have to nurse it and strengthen it because I really don't want this to escalate into more breakage which leads only to cutting which would be sad to me. Maybe stretching for months like Sylver is the way to go.