Fast and Easy Braidout **PICS & Video** - Satin Scarf Method

Tickin4Gold

OK, so I read this thread the other day and planned on trying it. Then last night I wanted to do it before going to bed. Well it was late and I could not find the silk scarf! I was frustrated for a bit but didn't want to go to sleep with my twists undone.

....So I decided to cut strips from a plastic bag. Sounds crazy, but it was late when I went to bed. lol. I used a WEN mix and sealed with grapeseed oil. So picture a white bag flat twisted into 3 flat twists on my brown/black hair. I put a scarf over so DH wouldn't think I lost my mind and went to bed.

I ,must say I'm am loving the twist out!! Big popping curls. It made me think of baggying without the crinkling or wet head which I have issues with when I'm trying to sleep.

I didn't take pics because it was late and I didn't think it would work out but I'll be doing it again.
OMG, this is too funny. LOL. A plastic bag. :grin: That is a new one. That is something I'd almost be willing to pay to see...almost. :lachen:That was very resourceful of you to use the bag, but you must have had a noisy night. I hope you've graduated to the scarf by now. :)
Thanks for sharing.

Tickin4Gold

I tried this last night too and slept on it. this will definitely be a staple braidout method for me. also I'm transisitioning from barely texlaxed to natural :).

I use 4 braids though. 3 of them came out nice and wavy curly and one was just barely wavy. I guess I did something diff on that one....

I just qhemet products too and my hair came out very nice and soft. also my hair was already blown out. I'm going to have to try all methods for my hair as I likey!!!

Girl you finally tried the braidout! Yay! Where are the pics? :)

And yes, you have to be careful to do the exact same thing to each braid or they may come out looking different and we don't want that do we...?

Tickin4Gold

Hello Naturals,

Please post pics of this method! I will try it next week after my wash day:grin:

cocomama Did you try it? Duff is kinda natural and she tried it with positive results.

If/when you do try it, plz post a pic or 2 for the other naturals to see.

cocomama

@Tickin4Gold: So far not a good look! LOL
But I think I'm going to change the method so that it will work for 4? natural hair. Stay tune I maybe posting something tomorrow:grin:

naturalmanenyc

I tried the satin scarfs using 4 single braids. It did not do much for my 4a curls. I guess if I had blown my hair out first I would have had better results. I ended up just putting my hair in a puff.

Ms Kain

Hey all :),

Just thought I'd share....
Some time ago I made a thread about my Satin Scarf Braidout with video tutorial - i.e. how to do a braidout with cornrows.

Alot of people indicated that they didn't know how to cornrow /french braid etc.

So I made a video tutorial showing how to do a braidout with regular single braids /plaits - No Cornrows.

It is fast and easy, but most importantly the results are much better than the normal braidouts.

OMG! :thankyou:for this! Let me tell you! This was definitely a lifesaver for me! I am one of those people that have a hard time cornrowing my hair so after I failed miserably the first time I decided from then on I would try braid outs using single braids only.:ohwell:

One of my biggest challenges is that I am just below shoulder length and on my way to APL so basically it was really important that the wave patterns start near my scalp and not a few inches down because I really only had a few inches to begin with! :lachen:But again if you aren't very good at cornrowing your hair, getting that wave pattern to start at the root is extremely hard. But I tried anyway and either the curl pattern would be incomplete or frizzy, my hair wouldn't dry all the way or my hair would be extremely dry once I unbraided it. Not to mention that my ends would be without a pattern so they would end up sticking up all over the place.:nono:

So last Saturday night I saw Nina Pruitt’s video on how to do a braid out with silk strips and even though her technique is a bit different she shouted Tickin4gold/ZaneAndRob as being the person who she got the technique from!!! So the next day I go off to the store and get the two packs of silk hair wraps, came home and tried it.

Since my hair tends to act like Nina’s in a lot of ways ( my hair really enjoys coconut oil )I mostly followed her technique but honestly I think both videos are great! The two things that I definitely followed and found to be a great help was to make sure that my hair air dried at least 90% of the way and to make sure to moisturize as I braided. :yep: I think these two things made a big difference. Also to make sure that my shoulder length hair got a full wave pattern from my roots to the ends, I used 8 strips of the silk with 4 at the crown and then 2 at the side and 2 in the back. The next morning when I unraveled my hair I found the curl pattern was almost perfect (like the wavy human hair in the store)!!! My hair was soft, moisturized and had a great shine without being oily!! :woot:

When I got to work I got so many compliments about my hair that it was insane! So thank you very much for showing us "cornrowdeficient"people how to do this! :grin: I'm only five weeks post but now I feel much more confident that I might be able to stretch a lot longer than the 14 weeks than I'm used to!:yep:

~Hera

Last edited:

Tickin4Gold

OMG! :thankyou:for this! Let me tell you! This was definitely a lifesaver for me! I am one of those people that have a hard time cornrowing my hair so after I failed miserably the first time I decided from then on I would try braid outs using single braids only.:ohwell:

One of my biggest challenges is that I am just below shoulder length and on my way to APL so basically it was really important that the wave patterns start near my scalp and not a few inches down because I really only had a few inches to begin with! :lachen:But again if you aren't very good at cornrowing your hair, getting that wave pattern to start at the root is extremely hard. But I tried anyway and either the curl pattern would be incomplete or frizzy, my hair wouldn't dry all the way or my hair would be extremely dry once I unbraided it. Not to mention that my ends would be without a pattern so they would end up sticking up all over the place.:nono:

So last Saturday night I saw Nina Pruitt’s video on how to do a braid out with silk strips and even though her technique is a bit different she shouted Tickin4gold/ZaneAndRob as being the person who she got the technique from!!! So the next day I go off to the store and get the two packs of silk hair wraps, came home and tried it.

Since my hair tends to act like Nina’s in a lot of ways ( my hair really enjoys coconut oil )I mostly followed her technique but honestly I think both videos are great! The two things that I definitely followed and found to be a great help was to make sure that my hair air dried at least 90% of the way and to make sure to moisturize as I braided. :yep: I think these two things made a big difference. Also to make sure that my shoulder length hair got a full wave pattern from my roots to the ends, I used 8 strips of the silk with 4 at the crown and then 2 at the side and 2 in the back. The next morning when I unraveled my hair I found the curl pattern was almost perfect (like the wavy human hair in the store)!!! My hair was soft, moisturized and had a great shine without being oily!! :woot:

When I got to work I got so many compliments about my hair that it was insane! Mind you I live in Arizona and as you probably know by now ethnicity and race go with Arizona like oil goes with water so you know my hair had to be ridiculously on point for these people to actually admit that my braid out was on point!:sweet:

So thank you very much for showing us "cornrowdeficient"people how to do this! :grin: I'm only five weeks post but now I feel much more confident that I might be able to stretch a lot longer than the 14 weeks than I'm used to!:yep:

~Hera

cornrowdeficient huh? :lachen:Thanks for posting this and sharing your story. I am so glad this method is working out for you. Even though doing the single braids with the satin scarf is so much more easier than cornrowing, many people still don't get it. So kudos to you for not only doing it but for putting your own spin on it. Because that's what it's all about! :yep:

I also love that you are reaping the benefits of this method. Keep doing what you doing girl the satin scarf/strip method will not fail you.

Your wave pattern must have been amazing with your 8 braids.
Next time post a pic, you know we love pics on here ;)

kbragg

My daughter is a 3b/c natural with waist length hair. She has been harassing me to straighten her hair but I don't like using 2 types of heat (blow dryer and flat iron) too often. Actually I'd prefer if I can use the blow dryer only as often as possible.

Anyway, I washed and conditioned her hair then blew it out using the tension method with a comb attachment and Chi Iron Guard. I then sectioned her hair into 3 sections, lightly spritzed her hair with Mane n Tail Braid Sheen Spray and added a dime sized amount of chi silk infusion (I did it 1 section at a time so it wouldn't revert) She has her braids in right now:grin: I will take pics in the morning:grin:

kbragg

Hair in scarves:

Hair After (She hates it but I think it looks :drool:)

Front (attitude lol she thinks it's too big:rolleyes:)

Front w/o attitude cuz she says she changed her mind and likes it and is ashamed of having an attitude:rolleyes:

Sides:

Back:

Excuse the mess in the background:blush: We're trying to get rid of some stuff and reorganize for our upcoming move.

lane

Hair in scarves:

Front w/o attitude cuz she says she changed her mind and likes it and is ashamed of having an attitude:rolleyes:

Sides:

Back:

Excuse the mess in the background:blush: We're trying to get rid of some stuff and reorganize for our upcoming move.

Looks great! You did a wonderful job mommy!

godsflowerrr

Thanks again OP. I love this technique. I tried this on my natural hair and it didn't work the first time but I'm determined to make this work for me because it is soooo easy and I love the OP's results! I think that I have to grow out my hair a little more.

Tickin4Gold

Hair in scarves:

Sides:

Back:

Thanks so much for sharing. Your daughter is adorable. And look at all that hair! OMG, jealous. :spinning: It looks goregous. And you did an awesome job with the braidout. Love it!

Thanks again for posting the pics.

Ms Kain

cornrowdeficient huh? :lachen:Thanks for posting this and sharing your story. I am so glad this method is working out for you. Even though doing the single braids with the satin scarf is so much more easier than cornrowing, many people still don't get it. So kudos to you for not only doing it but for putting your own spin on it. Because that's what it's all about! :yep:

I also love that you are reaping the benefits of this method. Keep doing what you doing girl the satin scarf/strip method will not fail you.

Your wave pattern must have been amazing with your 8 braids.
Next time post a pic, you know we love pics on here ;)

LOL! Yes, I know so even though I'm not much of a picture taker, I still snapped two shots of the 2nd braid-out I did using this method.

Now just to give you some idea on my length, my hair is SL on the side and I’m a little past SL in the back. I'm also at about 9 weeks post. When I did my braid out, I did it rather tight because I wanted the curl pattern to drop or loosen as the days go by. Because of all of this, it made my braid-out about ear length.

Here’s a picture of the front……(If anyone knows how to resize pictures please PM me and let me know how because this pic is super big!!:rolleyes:)

....and here’s a pic of the side / back.

This is the second time I did this and this time I just did a basic co-wash and while it was still wet, I worked in some Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Split End Protectant followed with coconut oil. I put Lottabody Foam wrapping lotion in the front and then used a boar bristle brush to lightly brush it back and then wrapped the front. I let it airdry and then I braided it with the silk scarf strips and slept in it overnight. When I took it down, I separated them with Keracare Conditioning Headdress on my hands as I did it.

It feels so soft and smells so good! This is great! I love it! Thanks Zann! :grin:

Last edited:

fivetimestwo

I tried this last night and I must say I loved the results. I co-washed and then used my "leave-in" (V05 Strawberries & Cream) sealed w/ castor oil, applied HE tousle me softly mousse and let my hair get about 85% dry. I have to concentrate on the back a little more next time because the ends aren't as defined as the front. I also swept it to the side and did a little hump in the front as an experiment. I am getting married Saturday and I think this is how I'm going to wear my hair for the big day :grin: OP: I can't thank you enough for this technique!

[IMG]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5/doit4fun78/100_3076.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5/doit4fun78/100_3073.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5/doit4fun78/CIMG0100.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5/doit4fun78/CIMG0099.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited:

Tickin4Gold

LOL! Yes, I know so even though I'm not much of a picture taker, I still snapped two shots of the 2nd braid-out I did using this method.

Now just to give you some idea on my length, my hair is SL on the side and I’m a little past SL in the back. I'm also at about 9 weeks post. When I did my braid out, I did it rather tight because I wanted the curl pattern to drop or loosen as the days go by. Because of all of this, it made my braid-out about ear length.

Here’s a picture of the front……(If anyone knows how to resize pictures please PM me and let me know how because this pic is super big!!:rolleyes:)

[/IMG]

....and here’s a pic of the side / back.

This is the second time I did this and this time I just did a basic co-wash and while it was still wet, I worked in some Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Split End Protectant followed with coconut oil. I put Lottabody Foam wrapping lotion in the front and then used a boar bristle brush to lightly brush it back and then wrapped the front. I let it airdry and then I braided it with the silk scarf strips and slept in it overnight. When I took it down, I separated them with Keracare Conditioning Headdress on my hands as I did it.

It feels so soft and smells so good! This is great! I love it! Thanks Zann! :grin:

I love it! It really looks nice. And Yes, your curls are very tight, but soo cute. It kinda looks like a perm rod set. Also, for 9 weeks post your hairline looks very smooth and tame :)
Anyway...
Keep doing what you doing girl, you got this method on lock.

Tickin4Gold

I tried this last night and I must say I loved the results. I co-washed and then used my "leave-in" (V05 Strawberries & Cream) sealed w/ castor oil, applied HE tousle me softly mousse and let my hair get about 85% dry. I have to concentrate on the back a little more next time because the ends aren't as defined as the front. I also swept it to the side and did a little hump in the front as an experiment. I am getting married Saturday and I think this is how I'm going to wear my hair for the big day :grin: OP: I can't thank you enough for this technique!

[IMG]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh5/doit4fun78/CIMG0099.jpg[/IMG]

Girl, when did you post this? I swear I am not getting these alerts.

Anyway..

Thanks for posting your pics curvycurly78. Congrats on your wedding. . I hope you have a wonderful day and I hope your hair holds up to the humidity!

Your hair came out pretty. From your album I think you are partially texlaxed - transitioning to natural. Correct me if I'm wrong. You did good job, the braidout seems to be a good way of blending the 2 textures.
Don't worry, everytime you do the braidout, you are one step closer to perfecting it. So next time, I know you'll get the back more defined just like you want it

congrats again

NYAmicas

Seeker
After the lovely pics ^^ and watching your YT vids Im going to attempt your style tonight. Right now Im waiting for my hair to airdry which takes a long time for me but my biggest concern is getting the waves to start close like you did in the non-cornrow vid. Also doing this on about 10 weeks post with massive NG on a thick head of hair.

fivetimestwo

Girl, when did you post this? I swear I am not getting these alerts.

Anyway..

Thanks for posting your pics curvycurly78. Congrats on your wedding. . I hope you have a wonderful day and I hope your hair holds up to the humidity!

Your hair came out pretty. From your album I think you are partially texlaxed - transitioning to natural. Correct me if I'm wrong. You did good job, the braidout seems to be a good way of blending the 2 textures.
Don't worry, everytime you do the braidout, you are one step closer to perfecting it. So next time, I know you'll get the back more defined just like you want it

congrats again

Thanks for the congrats! Everything was perfect, including the hair! It held up pretty good with the humidity too. I am partially texlaxed and about 11 months post right now so I was sooooo happy I could do something to really blend the 10 different textures :lachen:. Here's a pic from the wedding (click to enlarge):

Tickin4Gold

Thanks for the congrats! Everything was perfect, including the hair! It held up pretty good with the humidity too. I am partially texlaxed and about 11 months post right now so I was sooooo happy I could do something to really blend the 10 different textures :lachen:. Here's a pic from the wedding (click to enlarge):

You look so happy, you and your family look great :)! Your hair came out gorgeous.
I know it was humid but I can't tell from the pics, it just looked like a beautiful day to be outdoors.
Thanks for sharing the pic!

Ms_Twana

Oh that was YOU. :lol: I just watched that video the other day. I tried it last night and it turned out good. I came across this post doing a search on satin braidouts. I have a question. I'm not certain if this was answered already because I haven't read the entire thread. But when I was starting off, the scarf kept slipping. So my plaits didn't start close to my roots like I wanted them to. How do you keep the scarf close to your roots?

Tickin4Gold

Oh that was YOU. :lol: I just watched that video the other day. I tried it last night and it turned out good. I came across this post doing a search on satin braidouts. I have a question. I'm not certain if this was answered already because I haven't read the entire thread. But when I was starting off, the scarf kept slipping. So my plaits didn't start close to my roots like I wanted them to. How do you keep the scarf close to your roots?

Well firstly, congrats on getting the method to work for you. :)

To answer your question, I actually never experience the scarf slipping while braiding with it. I had a hard time even picturing this. But I think the key to it not slipping it getting it in properly to start with.
Think of how you put in a ponytail holder in your hair so it's tight and it hold your hair securely. The key to putting in the ponytail holder in tightly is to grab a hold of your hair firmly and then slip the clip on without relaxing your hold until the clip is in place. The same concept applies to the scarf. Grab your hair firmly with one hand and then use the other hand to wrap the scarf around your hair and then start braiding. Watch the way I do it in the video around min 2:04 and onwards

Ms_Twana

Cyd, I LOVE your avatar pic and your Antoine Dodson quote. "Hide cha kids. Hide cha wife." :lol:

Greater laurels to win. Greater tasks to begin.

curlupndye

I've never seen anything like that before. I have to say that I was truly amazed and have stored it in my memory banks for myself (when I get much more length), but also for my daughter. Thanks!

Tickin4Gold

Oh okay. I was putting the scarf on top, instead of the bottom. Maybe that's the problem. Thanks.
I hope the scarf underneath works for you. I know some people braid inside out and will put the fabric on top. But I couldn't tell you how they keep it from slipping...practice and skill I guess. :)

I've never seen anything like that before. I have to say that I was truly amazed and have stored it in my memory banks for myself (when I get much more length), but also for my daughter. Thanks!

Thank you... :)