Weave it Up Challenge 2012 (6 Month Edition)

virtuenow

I really think we need an active Sew in Challenge, so I gathered a lot of the content from the last successful Sew-in challenge from 2010. See for reference. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=423524 (copied). Just thank this post or pm me or comment if you would like to join! Happy hair growing!

Weave It Up Challenge 2012
(June 1 2012- December 31, 2012 for 6 month participants)

Weaving your hair is one of the ultimate protective styles for retaining hair length. I’m starting this challenge for those ladies who want to braid it up, then weave it, and leave it alone. The benefit of the challenge is to allow your hair to rest while avoiding heat, over-manipulation and overall damage. By leaving your hair alone it has nothing to do but RETAIN LENGTH!

The Rules:

1. Install your weave (it can be full or partial/ curly, kinky, or straight; may include a braided perimeter)

2. Shampoo hair at least once every 2 weeks

Instructions on how to shampoo hair while in a weave.

Take an applicator bottle and dilute your shampoo with water. Lift each track and squirt the shampoo under the weave. It will create an almost instant lather, then GENTLY massage your scalp in between the track to loosen dirt, debris, and build up. Rinse.)

3. Moisturize your braided hair at least 2-3x a week

Instructions on how to moisturize hair.

Lightly mist your favorite watery moisturizer or leave in and apply to braided hair or;
Create your own moisturizer by diluting a light conditioner and spritzing your braided hair or;
Use an applicator bottle filled with your preferred moisturizer and apply to braided hair.

Product suggestions include African Royale Braid Spray, Infusium 23, Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave In Conditioner, or a mix of part water/conditioner (VO5 or Suave)/ aloe vera juice/ and/or oil.

4. Keep trimming to a bare minimum. You can dust your ends for knots and splits before each installation.

5. Leave your weave in for an appropriate amount of time. Up to two to three months max is ideal. Disclaimer: Trying to push the install beyond four months increases the likelihood of matting and tangles. However, there are members who have done so successfully.

6. Shampoo and Deep Condition your hair after each removal and before each installation.

7. Re-install weave within 1-3 weeks upon removal.

8. Check in regularly, motivate, discuss, and post pictures of your beautiful hair and installs. :yep:

9. Post your regimen and staple products!

Helpful Links (Updated 5.13.12):

Ediese's Do's and Don't of Weave Care
Reniece the Weavologist's FAQs
How to Maintain Weave for Several Months
Nichi's Successful Install
Another Nichi Successful Install
Amaka127's Weave Regimen
Basic Weave Care
Weave Care FAQs
How to Care for a Weave
Sealing Weft Tutorial
Battling the Itchies
Tips for Taking Down Sew In
Pictures of Sew Ins
Ultimate Bohyme Brazilian Kinky Curly Thread
Weave Challenge 2010
Weave Challenge 2008
Weave Challenge 2007
Weave Challenge 2006

THIS IS A 6 MONTH CHALLENGE; You may extend at your own leisure. Please have your weave installed by June 1, 2012.

Optional: a starting picture of your own hair
Required: an ending picture--preferably comparison pictures of your start and finish.
I will buzz everyone to post at the end of challenge. Where's the fun if we cannot see the results? Everyone is highly encourage to post pictures of their installs, new growth, progress, etc. in order the keep the thread interesting and informative.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=423524 (copied & modified-- giving credit to the source)

****Starting Questions (copy & paste):

How Long are you wearing sew-ins (total):

Why are you wearing sew-ins:

Regimen:

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave:

End of challenge goal:

Post a starting length picture; or describe starting length/condition:

Participants (will regularly add names through June):

Kinchen
Ms.blue
mEmYSELFaNDj
ZebraPrintLover
beana
SkySurfer
TopShelf
irisak
Lexxi
YoursTrulyRE
beautyintheyes
SunySydeofLyfe
Thequirkyone
Scarcity21
Platinum
Havilland
Krisalexs
VLove29
CurlyCrown85
Nayna
JerriBlank
ChocolateBabySteps
YaYa24
TinaGreen10
kinky curlygenie
TSmith
Waffigrl
Camilla
Carmelella
Haddasah
Smartkutie03
Tah620
BeautifulSharece
est.April1983
Oneprettypa
Mwenye_Heri
AyannaDivine
AXtremeTakeover

Last edited:

ms.blue

I'm in! I'm getting a new install this Saturday. Is it a requirement to leave the install for three months ? I ask this b/c I generally only like keeping my install for two months at a time.

mEmYSELFaNDj

I'm in! Currently wearing a kinky curly 3/4 wig, its so easy too maintain and blend, I don't even need to use heat on my leave out yes! I was already planning to wear this on the daily until December updates so I'm happy to join this challenge.

virtuenow

I'm in! I'm getting a new install this Saturday. Is it a requirement to leave the install for three months ? I ask this b/c I generally only like keeping my install for two months at a time.

No! You can leave it in for as little or as long as u like. However, it has prviously been advised not to go beyond 3months. Those who are truly skilled and take good care of their hair underneath can go up to 6months. ETA: some members have reported doing so w/good results.

Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I NEED in, I have a U-Part that I washed and DC yesterday and will be putting on tomorrow.

I am 4 months post and its killing me, I cant do this mess..... IDK if I wanna transition or relax.

I want to go to the salon and get my overall hair inspected before getting a sew in. So I will be ready by June 1. I will take pics after getting a relaxer or straighten and ends clipped.

Off I go to ready the other threads that were posted.

How Long are you wearing sew-ins (total):
I am wearing a u-part and wigs (LF) so it will be a month at a time.

Regimen:

Once a take down braids, prepoo, wash, overnight DC and rebraid right back up. Spray braids daily with spritzer mixture. MN on my edges and in btwn braids. Ever 8 weeks go get ends dusted.
Keeping it real simple.....

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave:
My usual for my hair, CON Green (poo), and whatever kinda conditioner I have at home mixed with oils

My weave, I ONLY use Dove Intense Moisture (poo and con) and a quarter amount of Chi Silk Infusion. Wash weekly or ever 2 weeks.

End of challenge goal:
Really dont know at the moment, thats determines if I am transitioning or not. If not then healthy, thick, BSL hair.

Post a starting length picture:
In my fotki.

Last edited:

SkySurfer

I'm in! I currently have a crochet weave with my edges left out to reduce tension, i hope to keep it for 1 and a 1/2 - 2 months

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
No, there is no minimum. Just as long as you're wearing mostly weaves w/short breaks in-between! Yep

Ok cause with my U-Part I was thinking about no longer than a month, that way I can take it down, wash it, DC forever, and then go back in.

If I happen to get a full weave I would go longer.

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Count me in......Plan on buying my hair tomorrow and installing next week

Does anyone plan on using silk thread as opposed to the thread they use at the salon?

I just order some from hairfactory.com. Shipping was free and it was $8. I've never used it before but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to try.

How Long are you wearing sew-ins (total): My goal is for atleast 4 months but I would love to do six.

Why are you wearing sew-ins: I want to retain more length, hopefully this will somehow help

Regimen: Cowash maybe daily and fully wash atleast every two weeks with deep condition

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave: Weave, I'll use Garnier and some other leave-ins that are not that pricey and for my hair I'll continue to use my Darcy's along with my oils

End of challenge goal: Full Healthy Apl

Post a starting length picture:

Last edited:

irisak

I'm in. I've been wearing weaves for almost a year as my protective style. Here's a starting pic. I wear full weaves with lace closures and only take 2 or 3 day breaks but I baby my hair during those breaks. I also moisturize using an applicator bottle with an mn, rosewater, vatika,grapeseed oil mix.

ForumRunner_20120512_011105.jpg

Last edited:

virtuenow

Thanks everyone thus far! We've got a good group going! The thread should be encouraging for those who baby their hair under their weaves. I noticed some of us are already "weaved up", including myself! Will post reggie and pics soon.
I'm in. I've been wearing weaves for almost a year as my protective style. Here's a starting pic. I wear full weaves with lace closures and only take 2 or 3 day breaks but I baby my hair during those breaks. I also moisturize using an applicator bottle with an mn, rosewater, vatika,grapeseed oil mix.

View attachment 149353

Thanks irisak, you look to be about APL. That moisturizer sounds good :).

lexxi

You can count me in I will be reinstalling next week I just came out of a sew in and Im waiting on extra hair so I can make a u part wig ,this challenge will be perfect for the personal megatek/sulfur challenge Im in.Im trying to retain atleast 3in or more.

irisak

virtuenow said:
Thanks everyone thus far! We've got a good group going! The thread should be encouraging for those who baby their hair under their weaves. I noticed some of us are already "weaved up", including myself! Will post reggie and pics soon.

Thanks irisak, you look to be about APL. That moisturizer sounds good :).

Thanks. The only thing about the mn is the nitrates do give me brief headache when I first apply them. The rosewater keeps the vatika from smelling like curry goat in my head.

beautyintheyes

I want to join I have a question I so scared of mold and stuff I hear that can build up and I love to wash my hair I just use aloe and oil mixes to my hair underneath and I air dry my hair cause I'm a no heat challenge but I used the blow dryer on cold so I didn't cheat lol will it still build up?

SkySurfer

I want to join I have a question I so scared of mold and stuff I hear that can build up and I love to wash my hair I just use aloe and oil mixes to my hair underneath and I air dry my hair cause I'm a no heat challenge but I used the blow dryer on cold so I didn't cheat lol will it still build up?

A blow dryer on cold isn't too bad it's like accelerated air drying :)
maybe try a hooded dryer for faster drying, if you're afraid of mildewing.
I know it's heat but it's indirect lol

What i personally do is i wash early in the morning and let my braids under the weave air-dry for the whole day. By the end of the day they are dry and non-funky-smelling LOL

You can still use your aloe vera and oils, but maybe slightly less often than you would do for your own loose hair, because 1) you want to avoid matting and 2) your hair is protected under the weave, so it won't dry out as fast

I spritz my hair every 2-3 days, because i don't want my hair to be constantly damp and develop that mildewy 'fragrance' lol.

Like everything it's a question of moderation

SkySurfer

I do the samething to my braids using HS14n1, AVJ, and Infusium 23. You just gave me the idea to add oil into the mix.....

And you just reminded me to add a bit of keratin mist to my mist occasionally lol!

I need to get my hands on summodat hawaiian silky, i hear good things, but i don't know where to find it in London...i'm gonna go on a bit of a treasure hunt haha

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
And you just reminded me to add a bit of keratin mist to my mist occasionally lol!

I need to get my hands on summodat hawaiian silky, i hear good things, but i don't know where to find it in London...i'm gonna go on a bit of a treasure hunt haha

SkySurfer, yall dont carry it in yall regular BSS. Do yall have a Sallys?
I try to keep the balance of that Moisture and Protein....

I want to play. Sewing my hair in today. 2 month maximum. Happy hair growth!

SunySydeofLyfe, LOL, come on with it then.

Platinum

I'm currently weaved-up at the moment. I'll probably keep it for another 3-4 weeks, then take it down. I'm not sure if I'm going to re-use the same hair again or try another type.

I've been slacking on growth aids lately but I'm probably make a sulfur/MN mix this week. I may consider ordering MegaTek as well.

virtuenow

I also air dry my hair after washing. I've never had anything close to mildew smells or mold. I've never heard anyone report such either. I read some posts that said you should blowdry or sit under hairdryer but I use if I need to dry in a hurry.