The Official 2007 Weave/Extension Challenge

glamazon386

The 2006 Challenge was a success for many of the ladies on this board. We had a good year this year. Anybody wanna do it again next year?

I got good growth with the sew in weaves but since I bced I'm starting over. I'm already on the Boot Camp Challenge for 2007 and plan to wear sew ins and braids again. If you wanna join the challenge, post your regimen here. Braids are included this time.

I haven't totally devised my regimen yet. I'm taking Rexall Super Potency Biotin from Walmart. 2 pills a day. I usually just wash my weave once a week. Depending on the type of hair I might cowash every 2-3 days. I Spray BRX braid spray on the cornrows to keep them moist. Right now I'm in a full head straight weave. It's about 3 weeks old. I'm getting my hair straightened and cut into a style (I need a trim) on Jan 8th. After that it'll be covered back up.

Alright ladies, Let's Get It!

Challengers

Bmoreflyygirl
CarlafromVA
Alli77
Esoterica
Tishee
MissFallon
Tyefrmy
GoingNatural
HoneyDew
cutebajangirl
RabiaElaine
TowsonGirl
kandegirl
CurliDiva
ak46
cmw45
msdeevee
renae226
prettypuff1
penspringz
jaded_faerie
LondonDiva
Bosslady1
LadyChe
naijamerican
kitkat
mahogany814
Hidden_Angel
asiaticlily
dany06
sweetg
msbrown76
nikkivale
asummertyme
DAJ875
rinygirl6
p31woman

Last edited:

Carla From VA

May I join in? I'm a weave queen. I'm in the 6 month apl challenge too. I have a sew in that I did myself with extensions-plus hair, 14". I'm cutting out direct heat, though I love my sedu flat iron so much :drool: . It is going to be tough, but I'm going to try to use the hood dryer instead of blow drying/flat ironing. I use jojoba oil and shea butter mixed on my natural hair, and occasionally use Elasta QP mango butter as needed. I can retain the most growth my hair is not being manipulated as much, so this is definitely a challenge made for me!

glamazon386

Alli77 said:
I'd like to join, but I don't plan on doing my installation until Feb because I need to take a break from the weave.

Yeah I have a weave now that's about 3 weeks old but I'm gonna wear my hair out for a week or so after I get my trim on the 8th.

Sure Carla. Welcome! :wave:

esoterica

i'll be weaving all year as usual. my regimen is very low maintainence. i wash & condition weekly and thats it. i dont apply anything else to my scalp/hair. sew-in gets redone every 4-6 weeks at which point i sometimes do an aphogee treatment.

Healthb4Length

Carla From VA said:
May I join in? I'm a weave queen. I'm in the 6 month apl challenge too. I have a sew in that I did myself with extensions-plus hair, 14". I'm cutting out direct heat, though I love my sedu flat iron so much :drool: . It is going to be tough, but I'm going to try to use the hood dryer instead of blow drying/flat ironing. I use jojoba oil and shea butter mixed on my natural hair, and occasionally use Elasta QP mango butter as needed. I can retain the most growth my hair is not being manipulated as much, so this is definitely a challenge made for me!

Carla, I recognize you from BHM. I'm currently using EP RT hair in 14-16 inches and I like it. My question to you is how do you blend your hair (perimeter) if you plan on not using direct heat? I'd like to know because my hair is not damaged but it's definately the same length. Are you planning on using the hood dryer then go over those parts with a flat iron?

morehairplease

Alli77 said:
I'd like to join, but I don't plan on doing my installation until Feb because I need to take a break from the weave.

me too! I will join in Feb after taking a short break from braids.

MissFallon

Im in! I'm in regular cornrows right now and realizing that braids aren't for me (my forehead is too big and I look strange w/ no hair on my face). I really want to learn how to do my own full sew-ins, as of right now I can only do one or two tracks. When these braids come out in January I will try to do my own sew in (atlest 4 tracks). I think I am going to get Spanish wavy hair because it is the closest to my hair textrue and I don't plan on using heat to blend. I also may try wet and wavy. I will probably wear weaves for 3 weeks at a time and then 1 week out until April/May and if I have enough NG I will probably do the BC sometime in the summer. My goal for this challenge will be (lower) midback since that is where the 14" weaves comes to on me.

Demi27

I wanna join. I wanna join.
I am also doing the Bootcamp challenge as well (I hope I can keep up).
I currently have my hair in braids (that I just did last week), so no starting pics ..I've said that like 3 times on here now...lol.

I'm changing up my regimine. I normally use human hair to braid, but this time I think I'm sticking w/synthetic hair. I used synthetic hair this summer and it was ok, but the hair was too thick. This time, I cut a lot and thinned out a lot.
I'm going to drink a lot of water. I just ordered some Lenzi's request and I'm currently started using a mixture of WGO and Sulfur. I'm taking 2000 of MSM daily (just started that).
I'm excited for myself and everyone else !

Carla From VA

Alli77 said:
Carla, I recognize you from BHM. I'm currently using EP RT hair in 14-16 inches and I like it. My question to you is how do you blend your hair (perimeter) if you plan on not using direct heat? I'd like to know because my hair is not damaged but it's definately the same length. Are you planning on using the hood dryer then go over those parts with a flat iron?

Alli, I've been able to get away with rollersetting with the flexirods pretty firmly and sitting underneath my dryer. But I'm only 8 weeks past my last relaxer. See me in February, it may be an entirely different story. BUT, this EP relaxed texture hair blends in with my hair whether nappy or straight, so that is a blessing. No demarcation with it. Oh, and I bought some Bedhead Manipulator and I apply a little bit to my edges, slick em down and tie on my scarf while getting ready for work. When push comes to shove, I will probably just put some of that on my leave out area in the top too.;)

glamazon386

Carla From VA said:
Alli, I've been able to get away with rollersetting with the flexirods pretty firmly and sitting underneath my dryer. But I'm only 8 weeks past my last relaxer. See me in February, it may be an entirely different story. BUT, this EP relaxed texture hair blends in with my hair whether nappy or straight, so that is a blessing. No demarcation with it. Oh, and I bought some Bedhead Manipulator and I apply a little bit to my edges, slick em down and tie on my scarf while getting ready for work. When push comes to shove, I will probably just put some of that on my leave out area in the top too.;)

What does the Bedhead Manipulator do?

GoingNatural

Count me in! I want to try to weaveuntil June or December if I can keep it up that long.

I won't be using any direct heat for the year of 2007 and most likely no indirect heat either

HoneyDew

I want to do this. I am in braids right now, but I know I will not be able tosit for them every 5-6 weeks like I want to. I think I may be able to 2-3 more sets, but after that I need to try weaves out.

I just need to find someone good to do it for me.

cutebajangirl

Im in. I fell off of the 2006 Weave Challenge but I'm gonna stick to this one. I plan to try something different this time around. I plan to wear each style for 3 months at a time. I think this will cut down on the breakage I get when I take them out every 6 weeks to wash for another weave. I will also relax every three months when I change the weave. The first style will be braids with Adorables body wave hair (since that is what I already have in now, lol).

Carla and Alli do you have any pics of your EP RT?

RabiaElaine

Alli77 said:

I'm in too Bmore!!!!!!!

I'm becoming a bit of of a weave queen myself!

Carla I recognize you too :wave: you were one of the people that helped me on BHM to weave. Anyway I'm glad you came over to LHCF it's great over here. With the hair care tips plus keeping your hair weaved up you will experience tremendous growth!!!!!!!

Welcome!

RabiaElaine

Carla From VA said:

I use EP RT too based on your recommendations it has been the biggest blessing to me with weaving. I've been using the same hair since August I think. I just wash, airdry and flatiron it and it's gorgeous. It's also pretty airdried but too big for me to wear in every day life.

Anyway I love this hair, thanks again!

RabiaElaine

cutebajangirl said:
Im in. I fell off of the 2006 Weave Challenge but I'm gonna stick to this one. I plan to try something different this time around. I plan to wear each style for 3 months at a time. I think this will cut down on the breakage I get when I take them out every 6 weeks to wash for another weave. I will also relax every three months when I change the weave. The first style will be braids with Adorables body wave hair (since that is what I already have in now, lol).

Carla and Alli do you have any pics of your EP RT?[/quote]

I have pics.

This is the hair after being washed and airdried. It has a good amount of texture to it so it matches our relaxed hair well.

After lightly flatironing (note I was about 15 weeks post in these pics)

After curling

That hair is 14 inches in length in those pics, now I wear a mix of 14 and 16 that I trimmed a little so that it would be more even.

Also note that the hair can be flatironed more so that it is pretty much bone straight relaxed hair. You won't be disappointed with this hair IMO.

TowsonGirl

Hey, I really wanna join this challenge, but does it count if I only put a sew-in in the back half of my head? The front of my hair is healthy and grows weel, but its the back that needs the help. So I am planning on keepin it cornrowed and sewing in tracks. I plan to:

*moisturize the braids every day with braid spray
*use NO direct heat
*only use the hooded dryer for deep conditioning
*take my vitamins everyday and drink more H20

Also, what are the rules for this challenge?

MzLady78

I'd like to join too. I just got a full head weave about 2 weeks ago. Will post pics soon.

Last edited:

kandegirl

I'll be back in again next year too. I just got my first full head weave two weeks ago so I can't update my 2006 progress until late January or February. I'll be six/seven months post relaxer by then. But I do plan to keep it up.

cutebajangirl

RabiaElaine said:
cutebajangirl said:

Carla and Alli do you have any pics of your EP RT?[/quote]

I have pics.

This is the hair after being washed and airdried. It has a good amount of texture to it so it matches our relaxed hair well.

After lightly flatironing (note I was about 15 weeks post in these pics)

After curling

That hair is 14 inches in length in those pics, now I wear a mix of 14 and 16 that I trimmed a little so that it would be more even.

Also note that the hair can be flatironed more so that it is pretty much bone straight relaxed hair. You won't be disappointed with this hair IMO.

STOP PLAYING! That hair looks good! Thanks for the pics. I know it was mentioned a bit on BHM but I am hardly there anymore so I never saw any pictures of it. Normally hair that is that good of a match tangles alot. Do you have any problems with that?

RabiaElaine

cutebajangirl said:
RabiaElaine said:
STOP PLAYING! That hair looks good! Thanks for the pics. I know it was mentioned a bit on BHM but I am hardly there anymore so I never saw any pictures of it. Normally hair that is that good of a match tangles alot. Do you have any problems with that?

Nope EP doesn't really tangle. Most BSS hair after you wash it, it becomes a poof ball but not with EP. After washing it is just the way you got it.

Carla From VA

Bedhead Manipulator can be found at Ulta and Target, and its not like a gel, more like a thick pudding. I think caucasion hair types use it to spike their ends, but for me, I put a little on my 4F edges, tie it down, and it looks like I got a fresh relaxer. My edges nap up really quick. Some ladies use it on their leave out portion to match their weaves up.

Rabia, hey girl!! I'm glad you are liking your extensions-plus hair. Here are some pics of mine, this is my current install which was done on Election Day. I've been reusing this hair since September, it doesn't tangle or shed. I have approx 3 ounces installed. Yep, THREE ounces! A little goes a long way, the wefts are very thick and full.

just blowdried:

flat ironed, with smooth and shine serum:

14" hangs way down on me....

HoneyDew

Do you guys ever reuse the EP hair? It is kinda expensive for me since I can't do my own weave - I have to pay some one. :(

I really want to to Europe this year and I think my weave and braids are going to eat all my cash.

HoneyDew

Carla From VA said:
Rabia, hey girl!! I'm glad you are liking your extensions-plus hair. Here are some pics of mine, this is my current install which was done on Election Day. I've been reusing this hair since September, it doesn't tangle or shed. I have approx 3 ounces installed. Yep, THREE ounces! A little goes a long way, the wefts are very thick and full.

You answered my question. :D

What about you RabiaElaine? You reuse any?