SEW-IN: Regimen? and Case of the itchies!!

SimpleKomplexity

I am about to go nuts over here. I got a Sew-in on the 1st. I don't know how to take care of it. My hair is out in the front. How should I be keeping it? Washing? Moisturizing?

My hair itches sooo bad. I keep patting my head like I'm krazy. All I've been using is Bee Mine. Should I use some kind of mositurizer. How often should I shampoo. I WANNA TAKE THIS ISH OUT NOW! It ITCHES SOOOO BAD! AHHH!

Anyone had any luck with Sew-ins?

LovelyPiratess

I would highly recommend looking at Ediese's and Nichi's weaves thread. I think Ediese's fotki also has a regimen on how to take care of your hair with a sew in.

TheCoilWhisperer

I am about to go nuts over here. I got a Sew-in on the 1st. I don't know how to take care of it. My hair is out in the front. How should I be keeping it? Washing? Moisturizing?

My hair itches sooo bad. I keep patting my head like I'm krazy. All I've been using is Bee Mine. Should I use some kind of mositurizer. How often should I shampoo. I WANNA TAKE THIS ISH OUT NOW! It ITCHES SOOOO BAD! AHHH!

I'm getting a sew-in on Saturday.... And this is what I'm deathly afraid of..... :perplexed

sheba1

Hey there, Simplekomplexity

I feel your pain, dear. Did the stylist add braid hair to your hair before doing the sew in?

If you already have a case of the itchies, I say get yourself a braid spray (anti itch would be great), mild shampoo that you trust, a good cone free intense conditioner (I like either GVP conditioning balm or liquid herbal cholesterol) and two squeeze applicator bottles, STAT!

Squirt about a tablespoon of shampoo in one and quite a bit more conditioner in the other. Fill them both the rest of the way with warm water. Wet your hair and really get the water down in between the tracks before following up with your shampoo squirt bottle. Get down in between and under the tracks with the shampoo/water mixture. Rinse well. Follow up with your conditioner. It's up to you if you want to DC with heat. I usually just use the conditioner, leave in for 5 minutes while washing my body in the shower and then rinse well.

Squeeze towel dry and then it is very important that you dry the hair underneath with either a hand held dryer on cool or low; or sit under a hooded dryer to get down in between the tracks. You don't want to air dry here.

Spritz your hair underneath with the braid spray every other day or so. I like to add a little bit of oil to mine to help soothe my scalp.

Wash your hair every 1 to 2 weeks. Keep in mind that the more often you wash the more chance you have for build up, if you plan on keeping your sew in for several months.

Good luck to you!

PPGbubbles

Dont fret! Usually When I get the "pats" I know its wash time. And yes it may be only a week but sometimes it be like dat lol.

Since you are new to this I would recomend using some kinda spritz on your scalp and see if that helps any. I use diluted Aphogee provitamin leave in and lightly oil (I mix jojoba, coconut, peppermint and tea tree oil) I find that my oil soothes because of the peppermint and tea tree is a natural antifungal which is good since there isnt as much air getting to the scalp. Try some kind of diluted and spritz and oil and see if that helps....

if not....its wash time

Now you do have to be carefull washing your own sew in (but its not hard)
I suggest using a color applicator bottle and diluting your shampoo of choice, a little shampoo goes a long way! Ur not looking for your hair to suds up. I mix the shampoo with cool water so that I can feel were I am applying to my scalp and the small tip of the bottle is especially nice at getting in between braids.

let the shower water run through your hair. do not swirl your hair, that can lead to matting.....Make sure you rinse thoroughly! residue is not your friend with sew ins. I tend to use the same applicator bottle to rinse inbetween the braids. I fill again with cool water again so that I can feel where I rinse and repeat,

Now once you are done use a blowdryer to dry your hair. Nothing is worse than the smell of a mildewed weave :( So use a cool or low setting to dry the braids as much as possible.

when the hair is dry you can straighten and style as necessary.

I personally try to wash every 2 weeks but if I feel the "pats" coming on I will wash as often as I deem necessary. And this happens from time to time because I work out a lot. Since I wash a lot I opt for curly/kinky weaves because I can blend with air dryed flat twists. I love sew-ins because I retain so much of my length and with my reggie I have never had issues with matting.

I would go into my take down reggie but I think this post is long enough! Hope this helps some :)....best of luck to ya!

Vintageglam

I would go into my take down reggie but I think this post is long enough! Hope this helps some :)....best of luck to ya!

Please do !!! I am doing the weave challenge for 2010 and all this info is useful to us ladies
!:grin::yep:

I currently have a sew in which has been in place now for about 4 weeks (taking it down next week then having a break and putting it back in for 2 weeks over x mas and new year before another 2 week break and then starting the challenge on 15 Jan 2010.

This is the reggie that I have been using (and tweaking) which I currently like:

1. Prepoo with Coconut Oil
2. I wash EVERY week without fail. I just love having clean scalp. (I am also maybe thinking of incorporating an anti-fungal/ anti bacterial shampoo/ ayurvedic powder rinse as a 1st lather to my wash reggie to optimize scalp health and therefore growth - Its one thing to retain growth but another to stunt it at the same time).
3. Deep condition with a mix of Protein and moisture. For the Weave hair I use this mixture neat. For my own hair I dilute this condition mixture down to a more liquid consistency and apply to hair under the tracks.
4. I then DC with heat/ steam for 20 - 30 mins.
5. I then thouroughly rinse out this mixture in the shower with the water streaming downwards on my hair for a full 10 mins to get all the residue out. At no point to I rub etc. Just smooth the water down and use your fingers gently between tracks to massage out water and residue.
6. Apply a "dab" of Neutrogena NTM to hair, spritz own hair under weave and weave hair with some Infusium and sit under cool/ medium setting for 30 mins of my hood dryer.
7. Spray my hair and scalp under weave with a mix of rosewater, glycerin, aloe, infusium and some essential oil mix.
8. I then finish by using my blow dry brush on a cool setting on the weave hair for 5 - 10 mins to get a more sleek polished look and then I am done. (Total time 2 Hrs)

ETA: I also "lightly" mist my hair and scalp with this spray on a daily basis. Its light enough to use without creating build up. I also oil my scalp 2x a week with an essential oil mix. I think the itchies come from lack of air/ washing and build up so its impt to counteract this with growth aids/ oils and spritzes with antibacterial poperties such as essential oils/ ayurvedic powders etc.

Last edited:

Dommo

For my straight sew-ins, i get a wash-n-set every week(either at dominicans or myself) so i can clean my scalp and keep my hair and the weave looking fresh and bouncy. if i put anything on my scalp, it'll be some amla oil and only on my crown. If your scalp has too much build-up or if you're spritzing and greasing/oling it too much, it will itch like crazy; keep it clean and you'll be fine.

foxieroxienyc

Oil and moisture on the weave itself (using too much of it) can be a destroyed install UNLESS you are using quality hair like Extensions Plus or Hally's Curls since they are brands with cuticles intact and act/behave like real hair. If I didn't moisture that hair or add the SMALLEST amount of coconut oil to it it would be a HOTTT HOTTT HAM! The best moisture for the weave hair for me was a water based spray moisturizer since it didn't leave too much of a build up or weigh down the hair. I only put oil on the actual hair after a wash to seal the moisture and to keep the hair fresh so I can use it again. I did that before blow drying it.

But oil and moisture on your scalp and braid hair is essential if you plan on having any when you take it down. The applicator bottle works WONDERS. I prefer using a shampoo with mint in it to really get my scalp fresh, and it seems to stop the itching. A shampoo with tea tree oil in it may do you well as well. I just took down my sew in, got tired of it and I prefer my own hair to weaves any day. However my hair was just as healthy coming out as it was going in. I know it's a bit excessive, but I washed my hair 2x a week because I sweat like crazy and workout just about daily. However, one of those washes was with shampoo, the other was a co wash. Always make sure you dry your braids under the weave or you're asking for trouble.

ETA: Oh and as far as the hair I left out, I took care of it JUST AS I WOULD WITHOUT A WEAVE. If the hair you purchased is a close match to your own texture, blending shouldn't be a problem. Continue to care for your hair (and the weave) as though you would your own hair. To keep my leave out hair in great condition, I wash/co washed/DC on a regular basis (as I said 2x a week), I only used heat to straighten it on wash day ONLY. Blending wasn't an issue because I used Halley's Curls Great Wave Relaxed Texture hair which looks and behaves just like relaxed hair. At night I wrapped the hair, or pincurled it. My leave out hair was moisturized and pincurled. Occasionally in the the morning I'd refresh my own hair with caruso rollers (which worked GREAT on the weave as well). I had no breakage in the front, I rocked 2 installs in 2 months (took down the first one after 4 weeks because I went cheap with the hair and used Outre Velvet Remy - WHAT GARBAGE).

Last edited:

TheCoilWhisperer

Please do !!! I am doing the weave challenge for 2010 and all this info is useful to us ladies

I currently have a sew in which has been in place now for about 4 weeks (taking it down next week then having a break and putting it back in for 2 weeks over x mas and new year before another 2 week break and then starting the challenge on 15 Jan 2010.

This is the reggie that I have been using (and tweaking) which I currently like:

2. I wash EVERY week without fail. I just love having clean scalp. (I am also maybe thinking of incorporating an anti-fungal/ anti bacterial shampoo/ ayurvedic powder rinse as a 1st lather to my wash reggie to optimize scalp health and therefore growth - Its one thing to retain growth but another to stunt it at the same time).
3. Deep condition with a mix of Protein and moisture. For the Weave hair I use this mixture neat. For my own hair I dilute this condition mixture down to a more liquid consistency and apply to hair under the tracks.
5. I then thouroughly rinse out this mixture in the shower with the water streaming downwards on my hair for a full 10 mins to get all the residue out. At no point to I rub etc. Just smooth the water down and use your fingers gently between tracks to massage out water and residue.
6. Apply a "dab" of Neutrogena NTM to hair, spritz own hair under weave and weave hair with some Infusium and sit under cool/ medium setting for 30 mins of my hood dryer.
7. Spray my hair and scalp under weave with a mix of rosewater, glycerin, aloe, infusium and some essential oil mix.
8. I then finish by using my blow dry brush on a cool setting on the weave hair for 5 - 10 mins to get a more sleek polished look and then I am done. (Total time 2 Hrs)

ETA: I also "lightly" mist my hair and scalp with this spray on a daily basis. Its light enough to use without creating build up. I also oil my scalp 2x a week with an essential oil mix. I think the itchies come from lack of air/ washing and build up so its impt to counteract this with growth aids/ oils and spritzes with antibacterial poperties such as essential oils/ ayurvedic powders etc.

Your regimen looks awesome. What kind of shampoos and protein/moisture condish do you use?

BGT

Do I KNOW it?!?! I got a sew-in earlier this year and I remember waking up and wanting to rip the weave out it was itching so badly!! :blush: I started a thread on it I believe. I thought I was having an allergic reaction it was itching so badly. IDK what stopped the itching but it stopped eventually. I think it stopped when the braids began to loosen and that decreased the tension on my scalp. Just wait it out :yep:

Last edited:

glamazon386

It sounds like you're allergic to the coating on the weave hair or the braiding hair (if the stylist added it). Get some braid spray - if that doesn't work wash it.

PPGbubbles

Well here is how I take down to avoid tangels and matting.

The day b4 I wash the hair and dry. I oil the braids a little heavier that usual (I use the color applicator bottle to ensure the oil is on my braid not the weave hair)

As I take down the beehive every few inches I place the hair I removed in a loose twist. by the end of the unbraiding I have about 20 twists.

I take each twist and lightly spritz with water and diluted condish. since the sections are small it is very easy to work with. I first seperate the hair with my fingers and finger comb then go over the same section with a wide tooth comb to remove shed hair. I leave the section loose and use a duck bill clip to set the hair aside. when I have detangled 2-3 twists in the same manner I use all of the hair to create one large twist.

At the end of all this I have about 10 lrg twists which I wash and condition in. usually I wash in braids but after a weave take down I prefer twist because more surface area is available to receive product. Also if need be it is easier for me to unravel and retwist so I can feel if any film is left on the hair or anything.

I do this every time and I never have issues with matting or breakage. I took down my first weave and washed/ detangled loose and I will NEVER do that again....yes it takes a lil while longer to twist as you go but it saves detangling time in the long run because the smaller sections are easier to work with.

HTH! :)

Vintageglam

Your regimen looks awesome. What kind of shampoos and protein/moisture condish do you use?

Hey there BreakageInAtlanta I am actually doing another "personal" challenge to use up all my conditioners so I just use what I have in my stash.. I am PJ at its finet - trust me. I have Nexxus, Mizani, ORS and the list goes on..... I just make my mixtures half protein and half moisture then apply. Weave hair loves DC'ing. Just make sure you don't wash with a sulphate shampoo (hence the CON shampoo I use) and make sure you don't use cones on your weave hair as they build up. Less is defo more with weaves hence my I only use a dime size amount of NTM on wash day and then just rosewater/ glycerin/ aloe spritz the rest of the time. You do not want too much product on the weave or it will look awful.

HTH's

ETA: - Just thought I'd note, I always wash, DC and air dry weave hair before use as someone said before you may be getting the itchies from the prods on the weave.

SimpleKomplexity

Thank you ladies for replying. I was scratching so bad I think I have a sore on the right side of my head :(. I oiled it with grease not Bee Mine and plan on washing it today with keracare and conditioning with conditioning balm. Hopefully that eases my "itches", but it's already a lot better!

angelgrl135

so if I want to get a sew in to keep for 8-10 weeks, do you ladies recommend not getting the net?
I thought that it helped to protect the braided hair but I can see how it would get in the way of thorough washing and moisturizing....

TheCoilWhisperer

Hey there BreakageInAtlanta I am actually doing another "personal" challenge to use up all my conditioners so I just use what I have in my stash.. I am PJ at its finet - trust me. I have Nexxus, Mizani, ORS and the list goes on..... I just make my mixtures half protein and half moisture then apply. Weave hair loves DC'ing. Just make sure you don't wash with a sulphate shampoo (hence the CON shampoo I use) and make sure you don't use cones on your weave hair as they build up. Less is defo more with weaves hence my I only use a dime size amount of NTM on wash day and then just rosewater/ glycerin/ aloe spritz the rest of the time. You do not want too much product on the weave or it will look awful.

HTH's

ETA: - Just thought I'd note, I always wash, DC and air dry weave hair before use as someone said before you may be getting the itchies from the prods on the weave.

Thanks for the reply :)

I have no regimen otherwise so I kinda need some direction but this should be helpful and a good place to start.

ThatJerseyGirl

Oil and moisture on the weave itself (using too much of it) can be a destroyed install UNLESS you are using quality hair like Extensions Plus or Hally's Curls since they are brands with cuticles intact and act/behave like real hair. If I didn't moisture that hair or add the SMALLEST amount of coconut oil to it it would be a HOTTT HOTTT HAM! The best moisture for the weave hair for me was a water based spray moisturizer since it didn't leave too much of a build up or weigh down the hair. I only put oil on the actual hair after a wash to seal the moisture and to keep the hair fresh so I can use it again. I did that before blow drying it.

Not hijacking, but I use this hair and I HIGHLY recommend it. I'm rockin the zigzag curly. I use Mixed Chicks for a moisturizer on this hair, and my hair LOVES it.

butterfly_wings

Tea tree oil!! Use it on your scalp when you deep condition or diulte it with another oil such as coconut oil and put it directly on your scalp, this will calm the itchiness

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I ALWAYS have an itchy reaction from weave. BUT What I did for my December install (which by the way has not itched once) was

Before installing the weave I:

Bundled the hair into a hanging pony tail and gently washed the hair with diluted sulfate free shampoo

Soaked the hair in ACV + Room temp water for about 5-10 minutes

Rinsed very well

Instant DC for about 2 minutes

Rinsed again

Added serum/ brushed and blow dried

I plan on keeping this sew in for at least 3 months, and just wanted to share what combatted the itches for me.

SiobhanM

Ive been getting sew-ins since middle school!! lol
I find what best works for me is anything with tea tree oil or peppermint essential oil.
right now i have something called "wondergro herb blaster "itch ease"

The bottles says :
-antiseptic tea tree oil
-cooling mint oils
-relieves dry itchy scalp
-soothes and softens
-promotes healthy hair growth
-(no mineral oil)

Ingredients: soybean oil, aloe vera gel, castor oil, avocado oil, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, wintergreen oil, rosemary, cyclomethicone, protein, shea butter, horsetail, coltsfoot, nettles, burdock, comfrey, chamomile, witch hazel, vitamin e, fragrance, Bht

***this is my new go to! its moisturizing, cools my scalp, and tames those itchies associated with sew ins. picked it up at the local beauty supply store, its also available online

Afrolinda

So you always do a deep condition once a week witha sew-in?

BeautifulFlower

When I get a case of the itchies I wash my hair. I had a bad case last night and I just washed and airdried. I rarely use a braid spray which is contrary to popular principles. WHY? If my scalp itch and I spray anything on it, its like putting gas on a fire. It doesnt relieve it at all. I wash this hair about once a week or week and a half. Only my head saturated with shampoo and water stops the itchies.

I have in a Outre Remi Velvet so washing always does wonders but this hair is so resilient. If its not quality hair, i wouldnt recommend washing so frequently.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
all the regi's and advice looks great so i will only add one thing,

when i wore weaves my head itched like crazy the very first install only. until someone suggested that i use a applicator bottle with half water/half apple cider vinegar as my final rinse after shampooing. (i sometimes use it before shampoo and after)

it's a natural scalp cleanser, ph balancer, clarifier, anit-bacterial. all that! LOL! it worked great. healed my scalp (i got a sore from scratching too) and i NEVER itched after that again. i wore weaves for two years back to back and had great success.

it's cheap and real easy to find. i didn't have much success with commercial sprays, but that was me.

hopefully your itchies are not an allergy to the hair:(

but i hope that helps :)

gabulldawg

It sounds like you're allergic to the coating on the weave hair or the braiding hair (if the stylist added it). Get some braid spray - if that doesn't work wash it.

I think that's my problem. Everytime I get a sew-in I itch like CRAZY for the first couple of weeks. :nono: Sometimes for the whole time I have the hair in, which is why I never keep my installs in for very long. I think I may try to wash the hair first before installing it if I ever decide to do another sew-in. I'm wearing half-wigs now.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I think that's my problem. Everytime I get a sew-in I itch like CRAZY for the first couple of weeks. :nono: Sometimes for the whole time I have the hair in, which is why I never keep my installs in for very long. I think I may try to wash the hair first before installing it if I ever decide to do another sew-in. I'm wearing half-wigs now.

just chiming in on this....definitely always wash any hair before you use it if you can. you never know what's in hair. when i wore weaves i preferred to install clean hair. also, if the hair is gonna turn into a rat's nest after washing, you will know BEFORE it's sewn onto your head.:yep: