"CHECK YOUR WEAVES.... DON'T DISRESPECT THE WEAVE"

AMAKA127

I just wanted to share my sew in secrets with you all. I've been a member for about a year now and I have found great success using sew in as my protective style.

Corn row pattern I use:
Circle: My hair pattern I have found the most success with a “circle”. This is when your whole head is braided into a circular design beginning from the back. This leaves just one braid in the middle of your head. I leave my edges out and just enough hair to cover up the tracks. I have had bad experiences with sewing my edges in. I just DO NOT recommend it.

Type of hair I have used/use (worst to best): Milky Way, Outré premium hair weave, outré velvet remi (wet and wavy), Indi remi, sensationnel Goddess Remi

I think it is important to maintain your hair underneath the weave. A common misconception about sew ins are that you can just get them put in and leave the hair underneath alone.... ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I do two things:
1. I spray my scalp every night. In my spray bottle are the following: herbal essences long term relationship leave in conditioner, Neutrogena triple moisture silk touch leave-in cream, honey quat, and S.A.A. (silk amino acid). I put a little bit of each of the following products in a spray bottle (only a cap full of the honey quat and SAA) and dilute it with water. I spray only my scalp.

2. I apply a mega-tek mixture to my scalp once a week. In my mega-tek mix, I put the following: mega-tek, bee mine serum, Herbal essences long term relationship leave-in conditioner, herbal essences none of your frizzness cream, Neutrogena triple moisture silk touch leave in cream and a little bit of Cocoa nut oil. I normally wash my hair every Saturday, so I apply this mixture on Thursdays.

Washing and Maintaining the actual Weave:
I actually picked up a very good technique from LHCF in regards to washing a sew in. I also think it depends on the type of hair you buy, because some lower quality hair is not washable in my experience. The products I use for my actual scalp and own hair is ORGANIX Cocoa nut milk shampoo. I normally do not use this on the actual weave … it kind of just leaves the weave really dry. However, it gets your actual hair really clean which I like due to all the buildup accumulated during the week. To wash the actual weave, I use Garnier Fructis fortifying shampoo. I dilute my shampoos with water in a spray bottle. I spray my scalp directly with the Organix shampoo. I dilute it just enough for it to come to a lather, massage my scalp and rinse. I do the same for washing my actual weave except I spray the hair directly.

Afterwards, I deep condition with Silicon mix (love this):yep:, Herbal Essences Long term Relationship, and Suave humectants conditioner. I also dilute these products in a spray bottle and apply it directly to my scalp, the hair that is left out and the weave. I place a shower cap over my head and let it sit in for about one hour. After an hour I rinse out the conditioner and I DO NOT BLOW FRY MY hair or the weave.:nono: I have done both blow dry weave and let it air dry and so far I have gotten the most longevity with weaves by allowing it to air dry.

To the hair left out, I apply small amounts of Cantu Shea butter, Neutrogena triple moisture silk touch, and Carrot oil to it while the hair is still wet. When my actual hair is half way dry I seal it again with Cocoa nut oil and cover it with a satin scarf. After the weave is dry, I apply a quarter size amount of bio-silk or Chi silk infusion to it. I also apply a small amount to my actual hair as well. I try and keep flat ironing to a minimum so I try and use a flat iron once a week.

Below are some of my pictures of some of my sew ins. Feel free to ask me any questions.

wet && Wavy

my first ever sew in ... ow

my most recent (still kicking)

Dont mind me ... i was soooo bored in school but the BANGS!

Long hair don't CARE!

wet && wavy (before wetting)

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i really like all of them-especially that wet and wavy first pic-too fllyyy.
alrite, since you said feel free, i'm bout to release a ton of questions on you. u ready?? :grin:
are you natural or relaxed? how did you blend with that wet and wavy one? what brand is it? how much is it? do you get them online or at the BSS?? how long do you keep in your weaves?? does the track loosen up because you're washing once a week??
sorry for the avalanche-feel free to ignore any questions that overwhelm you, hun. i'm just a newbie to weaves, and i'm considering doing them throughout the whole winter. :look:

msa

Heyyy...aren't you another member's sister? I recognize that first pic.

Anyway welcome and great tips! Lovely hair as well.

poookie

the ones with the bangs look great! would you mind sharing where you get them installed?

AMAKA127

i really like all of them-especially that wet and wavy first pic-too fllyyy.
alrite, since you said feel free, i'm bout to release a ton of questions on you. u ready?? :grin:
are you natural or relaxed? how did you blend with that wet and wavy one? what brand is it? how much is it? do you get them online or at the BSS?? how long do you keep in your weaves?? does the track loosen up because you're washing once a week??
sorry for the avalanche-feel free to ignore any questions that overwhelm you, hun. i'm just a newbie to weaves, and i'm considering doing them throughout the whole winter. :look:

lol its fine i love to share my "secrets"... im relaxed I blended the wet and wavy by braiding my actual hair every night... the particular pattern i use which is called the "circle" hasn't let me down so my tracks barely loosen... I normally get my hair from the beauty supply store and the brand of the wet and wavy is Velvet remi I got it for $89 a pack (2packs for full weaves)

AMAKA127

Heyyy...aren't you another member's sister? I recognize that first pic.

Anyway welcome and great tips! Lovely hair as well.

yea thats my sister ... she told me about all the feedback and encouraged me to share my secrets

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
lol its fine i love to share my "secrets"... im relaxed I blended the wet and wavy by braiding my actual hair every night... the particular pattern i use which is called the "circle" hasn't let me down so my tracks barely loosen... I normally get my hair from the beauty supply store and the brand of the wet and wavy is Velvet remi I got it for $89 a pack (2packs for full weaves)
thanks so much!!:grin: i'm definitely gonna consider that for my next weave-the price ain't too bad...it's interesting that you prefer the circle-the girl who does my weaves HATES it, but i might have to convince her otherwise, since i'm having trouble with loosened tracks.

AMAKA127

thank u thank u thank u ... ur far too kind!

I don't install myself ... a friend of mine actually does it for me

my bestfriend goes to the salons but they are just a bit too pricey for me

I normally keep them in for about 2 months max ... afterwards I would either get them redone or wait a week or so then perm my hair (great way to stretch relaxers and protect your hair)

Netta1

I DO NOT BLOW FRY MY hair or the weave.:nono: I have done both blow dry weave and let it air dry and so far I have gotten the most longevity with weaves by allowing it to air dry. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Okay but how do get it to dry w/o the braids underneath mildewing????

Adaoba2012

YES this is my sister! I had mentioned her on another thread talking about natural looking weaves...she barely ever posts on here so I forced her too! I paid for her membership!! lol we both wear and love weaves and I'm glad shes finally getting comfortable posting. Ask her a million questions! :grin:

lilsparkle825

thank u thank u thank u ... ur far too kind!

I don't install myself ... a friend of mine actually does it for me

my bestfriend goes to the salons but they are just a bit too pricey for me

I normally keep them in for about 2 months max ... afterwards I would either get them redone or wait a week or so then perm my hair (great way to stretch relaxers and protect your hair)
"please hold your applause"...:lachen:

Um...can you hook me up with your friend who does weaves? I'm in Newport News and I want a full sew-in.

Your sew-ins are gorgeous!

AMAKA127

the ones with the bangs look great! would you mind sharing where you get them installed?

Okay but how do get it to dry w/o the braids underneath mildewing????

I dont mind the mildewy smell sometime ...lol (i kno its weird) but my bestfriend suggested to me to braid my hair in to four parts and sit underneath an overhead dryer for 30mins to an hour..... this works as well

AMAKA127

scoreeee...

is the hair you used for the one with bangs (and the one you have in now as well) BSS hair?

sorry for the late reply madam. Yes, both of those hairs are bbs hair. The bang- milkway (do not recommend) and the instill i have presently is remi hair two different types top indi-remi the bottom goddess remi

If you plan on keeping your sew ins for a long period of time ... I recommend remi. Remi hair is just a really good quality of hair in my opinion. But the keep is weave maintenance. :yep:

tasty14rb

Definitely love the pics and tips. I just tried the circular pattern for the first time and I love the fact it lays down better to me esp since I like high pony tails. I didn't cornroll my hair as close as I like so I had to double up. But I definitely think I will be using this method here on out

MaintaintheSexy

Thanks so much for this post. I offended my beautician of five years when I told her that I will go to someone else to get my weave installed. The issues that I've been having is, the thread will get loose and the tracks will slip, my hair is not growing and is very dry and it appears to be thinner and the hair weave looks nasty a week later. These negative experiences are very discouraging and I am soooo close to making this current weave, my last weave.
My beautician explained to me that I don't take care of my hair underneath my weave. Okay granted, maybe I don't but I do now. She explained that she doesn't like the hair that I use. I use hair by the pound, the one that you can wash and wet and flat iron and do various other things. She would prefer I use pack hair, which I don't mind, but it has to be very, very good. *The ones you suggested are, I just haven't tried them*

I HATE that my weaves look fake. This is the problem that I have. Really and truly. She give me a closure and a bang, so when I bend my head down, you see the weave closure and it looks so fake to me. The hair gets shiny and greasy looking after I apply products to my scalp. I end up washing the weave. Overall, I don't enjoy weaves like I once did. It feels like a chore now and I am not happy with the way they look and feel.

Im going on vacation next month and if my hair looks bad when I take this current install out, the next one will be my last one. I don't like weaves the way I once did. I don't know if it me or my beautician. I think its a combination of both. I am fed up at this point and so far this is my only option of protective styling until my hair grows out.

Oh Boy! But this post has given me some new insight. Maybe I won't give up but try different methods of care and different brands of hair and different styles :wallbash: :giveup: :perplexed

AMAKA127

I just got a new sew in on monday and i must say im loving it! One thing I can recommend is to use hair that wont tangle .... even if its not remy hair ... there are two brands i used before called Outre and sensationall hair ... they were pretty good when it came time to wash it

I only use remy hair because I simply just love it!

here are a couple websites that I have gotten my hair from www.kakiaremy.com and www.indivahair.com take a look!

Last edited:

Almaz

I must say these are the most natural looking weaves I have ever seen you would not know that they were weaves unless you told someone hence the mark of a great install