Weave it Up Challenge 2012 (6 Month Edition)

vlove29

I would also like to join the challenge as well. I just got a fresh install on Saturday and will keep it in for around 3 months. This is my third install. Given the amount of growth I have experienced and the tremendous difference in strength between my natural hair and relaxed hair, I think I will be working to transition to natural. I am currently NL.

For those getting installs with a net, how do you manage to do the following to keep your own hair healthy?:
  • Shampoo/Condition
  • M&S

SkySurfer

SkySurfer, yall dont carry it in yall regular BSS. Do yall have a Sallys?
I try to keep the balance of that Moisture and Protein....

Haha, there are a few Sallys scattered around the UK, but first of all I'll see if there is some HS in my local beauty depots.
But the weird men that run those shops creep me out -_- LOL

kinky curlygenie

Ohh I want to join but iv been in installs all year and I want to do crocht braids for summr, I'm wearing a wig atm so I can hav a break from thrm lol

Lovelylocs

I have 3 tracks of straight hair in. I want to try a curly style next, but I don't know if I'll be able to style it myself if I do that. I want to be able to go from straight to curly.

irisak

I would also like to join the challenge as well. I just got a fresh install on Saturday and will keep it in for around 3 months. This is my third install. Given the amount of growth I have experienced and the tremendous difference in strength between my natural hair and relaxed hair, I think I will be working to transition to natural. I am currently NL.

For those getting installs with a net, how do you manage to do the following to keep your own hair healthy?:
  • Shampoo/Condition
  • M&S

For the shampoo/conditioner, use and applicator bottle and dilute the shampoo/condish so you can get under the net. Same for M&S I just mix the oil in with the moisturizer.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I am thinking about getting me a curly unit for the summer.....Oh let me post pics of the hair I am wearing now.

I wasnt able to add them to my Fotki cause its tripping right now but I will do it later. This is my U-Part wig that I made 7 months ago with Indian Natural Wave.

1st pic is how I roll her up at night.
2nd pic was from Saturday
3rd pic was from the winter time
4 and 5 and how my hair is braided underneath my wig

Attachments

• rolled up.jpg
    rolled up.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 123
  • upart curls.jpg
    upart curls.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 165
  • upart.jpg
    upart.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 144
  • under u part 2.jpg
    under u part 2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 121
  • under u part.jpg
    under u part.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Another pics of the braids underneath from a top view, not my head but the same pattern.

Hair in its natural state

Attachments

• Braids.jpg
    Braids.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Natural State.jpg
    Natural State.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I'm summoning everyone from the Weave 2012 challenge (the thread died and could not be revived :( :)). This will be an active 6 month challenge with active challengers, so everyone feel free to join share your regimen, your challenges and victories please @bronzebomb, @camilla, @havilland, @humility1990, @kinky curlygenie @MekyakaKinkerbelle @Geminigirl @Kerryann @Nayna @Platinum @Lovelylocs @DarkChyld

I am trying to stay as active a possible because I know me. When I start slacking IDC anymore LOL

I also air dry my hair after washing. I've never had anything close to mildew smells or mold. I've never heard anyone report such either. I read some posts that said you should blowdry or sit under hairdryer but I use if I need to dry in a hurry.

I was thinking the same thing but IDK.

SkySurfer, yall dont carry it in yall regular BSS. Do yall have a Sallys?
I try to keep the balance of that Moisture and Protein....

Haha, there are a few Sallys scattered around the UK, but first of all I'll see if there is some HS in my local beauty depots.
But the weird men that run those shops creep me out -_- LOL
LOL, if he dont have it, tell him to order some. You know you can do that right.....

Nayna

Unbothered
I want to join but I doubt I'm going to get another install when I take this out. I want some long senegalese twists for while. I'll get another install in August.

YoursTrulyRE

I'm in. Just started wearing a sew-in and will probably wear them for awhile to get to my goal length and because of my hectic work/school schedule.

How Long are you wearing sew-ins (total):
At least six months but thinking about wearing them until I finish school in Dec 2013.

Regimen:
Install and wear for 10-12 weeks, then redo.

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave: Elucence shampoo (diluted in applicator bottle), Dove moisture conditioner (on weave), Mix of water, infusium 23 repair & renew, and JBCO (on my hair and weave), alter ego condish (my hair), shea moisture curl smoothie (my hair as needed)

End of challenge goal:
BSB length and thicker healthier hair

Post a starting length picture:
I'm currently in a weave (installed 5/4) but starting length was 1" from APL in back and chin length in front.

JerriBlank

I'm in.
I've been in a kinky curly weave for the past 6 weeks,and it will stay in for 6 more,even though my tracks are hanging.:look: . Ion care.
The hair's been shedding,so I'm gonna get some tracks added to the thin spots,and keep it truckin.
My ng is well maintained,and I'm using mostly Wen fig in the tracks,so I feel good abt that.
After this sew in is removed,I'll do back to back dc's for 2 weeks to a month,then the weave is right back in for 6 more weeks. I need more length!!!

Me! Me! I wanna join!

How Long are you wearing sew-ins (total): weekly I take it down to intensely wash/moisturize/deep cond. my hair

Why are you wearing sew-ins: protective style while awaiting growth/repair

Regimen: Take down weave, wash w/ sulfate-free shampoo, D.C w/ Nexxus for 1 hr under cap/dryer plus 1 hr of cap/body heat, followed w/ Cantu Shea leave-in, re-braid hair, seal w/ coconut oil and another leave-in, apply black castor oil to scalp, re-apply sew-in.

Products you are using for your weave: Profectiv oil sheen prior to flat ironing

End of challenge goal: thick, lustrous hair like Nina Pruitt's on YouTube!!

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
virtuenow,
Can I be added?
Planning on wearing wigs vs weave.

6 weeks cornrows per "install"
washing weekly

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I'm in. For the summer.

I'm doing at least two installs from June to October.

Regimen:
Install and wear for 8 weeks. My hair is fine. So any longer leads to too much tangling.

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave: I use hairveda shampoo diluted or dr bronners on my braids. Deep condition with hairveda moisture pro light protein condish. Same on my hair. Chi keratin mist for my braids and hot six oil.

End of challenge goal:

Mid back length.

My starting pic is my siggy. I'm BBSL. BARELY BSL. LOL! ;-)

Post a starting length picture:
in siggy march 2012

Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Me! Me! I wanna join!

How Long are you wearing sew-ins (total): weekly I take it down to intensely wash/moisturize/deep cond. my hair

Regimen: Take down weave, wash w/ sulfate-free shampoo, D.C w/ Nexxus for 1 hr under cap/dryer plus 1 hr of cap/body heat, followed w/ Cantu Shea leave-in, re-braid hair, seal w/ coconut oil and another leave-in, apply black castor oil to scalp, re-apply sew-in.

Products you are using for your weave: Profectiv oil sheen prior to flat ironing

ChocolateBabySteps, you need to be my personal buddy in this challenge since you are also taking down weekly. And I love Nina Pruitt's hair, off to go look at her on YT havent seen her in a while.

Haha, yeah I know.. but i'm trying to curb my online purchases.
Anyhow....onwards with the challenge :)

SkySurfer, noooo LOL tell the owner of the BSS (the weird guy) to order it to put into his store. Thats what I was trying to say.

irisak

Me! Me! I wanna join!

You take down an entire install once a week, or a U-part wig?

SkySurfer

ChocolateBabySteps, you need to be my personal buddy in this challenge since you are also taking down weekly. And I love Nina Pruitt's hair, off to go look at her on YT havent seen her in a while.

SkySurfer, noooo LOL tell the owner of the BSS (the weird guy) to order it to put into his store. Thats what I was trying to say.

Ahaha I get you, a bit of a missing-brain moment there, I think exams are depleting my brain cells haha.
I will look into it, thanks ZebraPrintLover :)

SunySydeofLyfe

How Long are you wearing sew-ins (total): I am not sure I was thinking two months but my ma did these braids so good, I just may make it 3...

Why are you wearing sew-ins: Convenience

Regimen: Poo/DC leave out 1x per week alternating protein and moisture, apply braid spray and WGO and air dry. Not apply anything during the week, trying an experiment to see if I can avoid washing so much. Poo/DC entire head every 2 weeks.

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave: Anything I have on hand, PJ products need to go!

End of challenge goal: BSL

Post a starting length picture: I dont have a recent one, but I dont think I have gotten much growth from the last pic. **Update with Pic later**

virtuenow

I have been in sew ins since July '11. Yay, almost a full year. I planned to do a total of 18months to 2yrs (wow, huh?)

Why are you wearing sew-ins:
I was unsuccessful at retaining length with my out styles. I have very tight 4b hair that seems to break w/alot of manipulation (which was kinda required until I pic up some new skills). I experienced alot of breakage and want to grow my hair back w/the utmost care

Regimen:
Deep Condtion weekly, spritz hair w/moisture spritzy every other day and seal w/JBCO

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave:
For my hair, I am using the moisture drenched pre-poo (aloe vera juice/castor/jojoba/evco) and Aubrey Organics GPB/HSR on damp pre-poo soaked hair for a DC. I use a diluted shampoo for my scalp. Basically any shampoo in my stash that I'm trying to get rid of. Then I rins it all out and do an oil rinse w/castor oil...For the weave hair, I'm using water and castor oil spritz to detangle & Tangle Teezer. I stopped using it on my own hair a long time ago but I found it works great on wigs and weaves. I use Trader Joes Nourish Spa to co-wash the hair.

End of challenge goal:
I would love to be full APL and grazing BSL

Post a starting length picture; or describe starting length/condition:
To Be Continued. I cut my hair right before the first install. The stylist cut about 4-6 inches.

Last edited:

virtuenow

I am wearing wigs, not weaves. Am ion rhe right thread!

View attachment 149927

I think wigs should be fine too. The idea is that you are going for longer stints of not manipulating the hair and letting it grow while taking good care. I always felt excluded b/c I couldn't do weaves, so I think some wig and extension braid wearers should be fine for joining this challenge!

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
How Long are you wearing wigs (total):
I plan commiting to 1 year starting today. So June 15, 2013 I will decide what the next goal will be. Long term I'm thinking 10.14.2014 I'll meet my goal and can do buns and try "out" styles more.

Why are you wearing wigs:
I used to wear wigs post BC as my method of PS but fell off early last summer after I gained length and wanted to "play in it". :nono:. My hair is fine and like to be left alone.

I WANT to get to MBL stretched. By my 30th bday. Thats 10.14.2014
So retention is my reason.

Wig Regimen:
Shampoo scalp weekly. Deep Condtion weekly. Spritz hair w/ my moisture spritzy every day and seal w/crisco oil.

Edges & Ends-- JBCO.

Night-- 2-3xs a week overnight baggy w/ GA

Cowash as needed.

Products you are using for your own hair and for your wig
HAIR:

W/cornrows- Leave in: Mix of hempseed oil/Apricot Kernel Oil/Garnier fructis sleek and shine conditioner/ distilled water. Mixed in a spray bottle for daily spritz

Tea Rinse at week 4 (nettle tea)

Deep conditioner (under steam): AO HHSR diluted with aloe vera juice

Shampoo (for scalp ONLY as needed): Castile peppermint soap
Cowash: V05 mm.

Scalp (baggy nights): sulfur mix

Once cornrows are down- I will do a protein treatment (JOICO KPak Reconstruct-with steam) and shampoo the length of my hair(w/ Elasta QP creme conditioning).

Get it blowdried/ cornrowed and repeat.

WIG:
Chi silk infusion or Organix Argan oil for shine
Conditioner- Whatever I have in my stash that I am trying to get rid of..
Shampoo - Organix argan oil

End of challenge goal:
I would love to be grazing-full BSL by June 2013

Post a starting length picture; or describe starting length/condition:
I am in week 2 of 6 of my current cornrows. Once mid June hits, I will be back with pictures.

kinky curlygenie

virtuenow said:
I think wigs should be fine too. The idea is that you are going for longer stints of not manipulating the hair and letting it grow while taking good care. I always felt excluded b/c I couldn't do weaves, so I think some wig and extension braid wearers should be fine for joining this challenge!

In that case I'm comin back I'm in I will b alternating between weaves, wigs and crotcht braids :)

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
Yaaaaay...

I've got my bohyme hair and my silk thread. I can't wait til sat which is when I get my sew in done!!!!!

Last edited:

virtuenow

Yaaaaay...

I've got my bohyme hair and my silk thread. I can't wait til sat which is when I get my sew in done!!!!!

I'm also wearing Bohyme Brazilian (Bobraz). I love it and don't think I'll use anything else! I put castor oil on my thread to make for a smooth, breakage free install. Where do you get your silk thread, that sounds interesting. Is it thick like sew in thread or is it like regular sewing thread?

MzOptimistic

Hi,

I'm in. I currently have a quick weave *I guess you can call it that* I don't really know what it is. It's a cap with an invisible part. I've been wearing sew-ins for the past 8 months and I wanted to give my hair a break. With this invisible part thingy; I can wash and deep condition my hair every two weeks. I'm growing my hair back to MBL. I'm currently back to SL due to cutting my own hair by accident in the back:drunk: It is what it is now I need to grow it back:yep: