Weave it Up Challenge 2012 (6 Month Edition)

waffigrl

I'm in. I need to give my hair a break so I can finally get to my APL goal length

How Long are you wearing sew-ins (total): 6 weeks at a time

Why are you wearing sew-ins: Summer internship hair + give my hair a break

Regimen: Wash scalp and hair once a week (I exercise and sweat way too much to make it to 2 weeks...attack of the weave patter lol). Moisturize my braids every 3 days. Also twist my leave out every evening.

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave: On my hair, I'll use some giovanni+water+tea tree oil mix. On my weave, I'll get some curly hair leave in conditioner (organix maybe? I need to go and do some youtube research). I'll also be using kinky curly hair from aliexpress

End of challenge goal: To have retained 3 inches and be on my way to APL,

Post a starting length picture; or describe starting length/condition:

Starting length is basically 5-6 inches all around, with a goal of 9 inches all around by Christmas. Condition is pretty healthy since I had a trim a few weeks ago and have been hennaing and DCing every week since then. Hair is popping! :) But it needs to rest

camilla

sorry ladies i was waiting for my hair just arrived virgin chinese straight i will be trying the boiling method bc now i want curly hair instead and i saw some great yt vids i will post picts of the process i self install and will install sat or sunday

Carmelella

How Long are you wearing sew-ins (total): 8-12 weeks at a time

Why are you wearing sew-ins: Growing out my natural hair to at least bra strap length before I wear it out.

Regimen: I wash every two weeks with ORS moisturizing shampoo or Creme of nature shampoo and then condition with Aussie 3 minute miracle. Dry under hooded dryer then flat iron the weave hair.

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave: Not much at all. I pretty much set it and forget it until wash day. I've had no issues with retention or dryness. The short hair pic was last october after my big chop.

End of challenge goal: Armpit length by august/september.... bra strap by december

The front of my hair (bang) is maybe 1/2 cm past my nose, the sides of my hair is a tad past my collar bone (middle of bone), and the back is full shoulder length.

I only have a unstretched shrinked picture of my natural hair taken right before my install.

Current weave: bobby boss full head with bang closure. I added some color to the front with outre hair but that hair sheds and tangles so i'll be removing that soon. Looking for a new brand of hair, tired of bobby boss.

Attachments

• april 20th 2012 d.JPG
    april 20th 2012 d.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 129
  • may 2 2012 b.JPG
    may 2 2012 b.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 135
  • may 2 2012.JPG
    may 2 2012.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 120
  • april 20th 2012 b.JPG
    april 20th 2012 b.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 115
  • oct 2011 bc.jpg
    oct 2011 bc.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 112

SkySurfer

A week done, 5 weeks left. I need to not get bored and take down this weave :( Need to stay strong so I can reap the rewards...

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
I'm coloring the perimeter of my hair black which is already dyed reddish brown with bigen. So that it matches my black bohyme hair. I hope that I don't regret this. I tried to use a rinse but it didn't take.

virtuenow

Here are pics of the wig I am wearing this today.

Its a full lace human Chinese remy that I got from bestlace wigs a few years back.

I do not use glue or tape. Just bobbi pins and I sewed an elastic strip in the back. (BHM tips).

It's been chopped up, dyed, fried and laid to the side. BUT Its still kicking..:lol:

*I have no makeup on yet.. running on my first cup of coffee.. so yea :blush:

If that's how wigs look, then I may have to revisit! Its very natural looking. Its hard to make a wig not look like a wig, I can always spot them; but this looks good.

I'm coloring the perimeter of my hair black which is already dyed reddish brown with bigen. So that it matches my black bohyme hair. I hope that I don't regret this. I tried to use a rinse but it didn't take.

Now that's dedication to the weave! Instead of coloring the weave, you're color your hair :).

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Still in this thang....

Tomorrow makes 7 days that I have had my cornrows in. IDK if I am going to push it to 14 or go ahead and take them out Sunday after church and redo them (as was planned).

My leave out section isnt weight down so I might leave them in and be a lazy bum for another 7 days.

curlycrown85

How Long are you wearing sew-ins (total):
Doing wigs instead of sew-ins until further notice.
Cornrow hair every 2 to 4 weeks.

Why are you wearing sew-ins:
As a protective style to retain length.

Regimen:
Cornrow hair every 2 to 4 weeks.
Take down to wash, deep condition, and do a protein treatment (if needed).
Stretch hair with curlformers.
Cornrow stretched hair.
Repeat every 2 to 4 weeks.

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave:
Applying coconut oil to cornrows once daily.
Spraying with water/glycerin mix 2 to 3 times daily.

End of challenge goal:
In six months, I hope to retain at least 4 inches worth of growth.

My starting length is 5 inches in the front and 5.5 inches on the sides and towards the back.

Attachments

• 100_1080.jpg
    100_1080.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 100_1098.jpg
    100_1098.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_1105.jpg
    100_1105.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

TopShelf

Today's install of the Bohyme Brazilian hair. I waited damn near 4 hours so that I can get one particular stylist. She used my silk thread (and loved it) and braided my hair just the way that I wanted so that I wouldn't get the bulky feeling on the bottom when I put it up in a ponytail and she used a cap. I love the hair. I cut out a track once i got home and may have to cut another because its a lot of hair.

I love the texture and I think this one will last for a good two months. I go on vacation next week so I'll post more pcis, especially some wet ones

Last edited:

SkySurfer

Today's install of the Bohyme Brazilian hair. I waited damn near 4 hours so that I can get one particular stylist. She used my silk thread (and loved it) and braided my hair just the way that I wanted so that I wouldn't get the bulky feeling on the bottom when I put it up in a ponytail and she used a cap. I love the hair. I cut out a track once i got home and may have to cut another because its a lot of hair.

I love the texture and I think this one will last for a good two months. I go on vacation next week so I'll post more pcis, especially some wet ones

Your install is beautiful!

TopShelf

For naturals who are leaving some of thair hair out......

how often are you straightening it and what are you using to maintain the straightened hair

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Still in this thang....

Tomorrow makes 7 days that I have had my cornrows in. IDK if I am going to push it to 14 or go ahead and take them out Sunday after church and redo them (as was planned).

My leave out section isnt weight down so I might leave them in and be a lazy bum for another 7 days.

Took it down as planned and doing a HOT right now and will finish up with my wash session tonight and rebraid it back later on.

ms.blue

How Long are you wearing sew-ins (total):
Off and on for almost 5 yrs.

Why are you wearing sew-ins:
I'm actually trying not cut my hair and I'm just sick of looking at my hair. Sew-ins also allow me to try different styles w/o having to manipulate my hair.

Regimen:
W/ my leave-out, wash and condition every week, lightly straighten, moisturize and seal. W/ my braided base-wash and conition every two weeks, use spray moisturizers every 2 days.

Products you are using for your own hair and for your weave:
I have no particular shampoo or conditioner will be consistently using. Most likely I would be using con argan shampoo, trader joe moisturizing shampoo, elasta qp creme conditioning. The conditioners will be trader joe's moisturizing conditioner, shesceinit avocado conditioner.

End of challenge goal:
Well I cut my hair to apl from bsl so back to bsl I guess.

I will try to post a pic when I get my install.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang

TopShelf that is some beautiful hair I love it, matter fact I want some. How long is it, where did you get it from, I love the way you have it styled, OMG its BEEEAAUUTTTIFFFFUUULLLLLL :lick:

TopShelf

I got it in NY (Flatbush Brooklyn) when I went for the makeup show. It's 12".

You can check their site to find out where to get it but beware. They have changed the texture and the new textures are very silky. Someone got the bright idea to take the "kink" out of it, so you have to make sure you're getting the original version. The original feels dry in the pack and its very bushy, but once you wet it, its amazing.

Check out some of the Youtube reviews

virtuenow

@TopShelf that is some beautiful hair I love it, matter fact I want some. How long is it, where did you get it from, I love the way you have it styled, OMG its BEEEAAUUTTTIFFFFUUULLLLLL :lick:

The hair she has is also the same hair I'm wearing. I posted a link to the Ultimate Bohym Brazilian Thread in the links section of my first post. I was able to buy several packs of the old version from the beauty supply store. There is still alot of it (I beleive) if you go in instead of ordering on internet.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I got a bad batch of Bohym Brazilian (bobraz) hair the first time I used the hair. I ordered it online.I paid 100 for the install and probably another 100 for the hair.. and had to take it out after only 2 weeks.

I wish my local BSS carried the old version.

yaya24

@virtuenow-- yes ma'am wigs have come a looooooooooong way:yep:

I ordered a new wig last Monday and got it on Wednesday the same week from platinumwigs.com

I'll post pics/info on it later today.

Platinum

Thinking about removing this install in a week or so. I used Shake-N-Go XQ Cuticle Remy about 6 weeks ago and it's starting to shed and tangle a lot now.:sad: The hair is a little too silky for my taste so I'll probably look into purchasing Virgin or Indian hair sold locally in my area.

I like the style but I need to try a different kind of hair. Anyway, here's a pic that I took after the install:

Attachments

• 2012-04-08 21-03-53.545.jpg
    2012-04-08 21-03-53.545.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 107

Haddasah

Can I join?
Im in a partial sew-in and I plan to use weave as a protective style for the reminder of summer. The only thing is that I have gotten lazy and I believe that this will help me to stay on top of my hair. I plan to take out this weave in June and put in another one soon after.

Regimen:
Cornrow hair with DC and other moisturizers in it for sew-in
Cowash hair every other week using a diluted solution and applicator bottle
moisturize nightly using homemade leave-in mix

Keep weave in for 2-3months at a time

curlycrown85

Thinking about removing this install in a week or so. I used Shake-N-Go XQ Cuticle Remy about 6 weeks ago and it's starting to shed and tangle a lot now.:sad: The hair is a little too silky for my taste so I'll probably look into purchasing Virgin or Indian hair sold locally in my area.

I like the style but I need to try a different kind of hair. Anyway, here's a pic that I took after the install:

Platinum -- Cute! I love it!

Nayna

Unbothered
I currently have senegalese twists in. They will probably last until the end of June. After that I will get another install. I am in love with kinky straight hair so I will buy it from Senghori Shells. I want 20 inches this time; I'll add it to the 16in that I already have.

virtuenow

Awesome group thus far, does anyone else want to join our troop!? How are you ladies prepping for your June installs? Get ready to post reggies and hair for our June 1 start date!

As for me, I'm rebraiding my leave-out in micros. When July hits, I plan to have a totally differnt look. So I'm enjoying the faux micro-head look for a while.

Can I join?
Im in a partial sew-in and I plan to use weave as a protective style for the reminder of summer. The only thing is that I have gotten lazy and I believe that this will help me to stay on top of my hair. I plan to take out this weave in June and put in another one soon after.

Regimen:
Cornrow hair with DC and other moisturizers in it for sew-in
Cowash hair every other week using a diluted solution and applicator bottle
moisturize nightly using homemade leave-in mix

Keep weave in for 2-3months at a time

@Haddasah Yes, we welcome you! I think summertime is the perfect time for sew ins. Your reggie sounds good. I like the idea of a straight co-wash w/no shampoo. What cond'r are you using for co-wash? Oh boy, we are going to have some awesome reveals @ the end of this :).

@virtuenow-- yes ma'am wigs have come a looooooooooong way:yep:

I ordered a new wig last Monday and got it on Wednesday the same week from platinumwigs.com

I'll post pics/info on it later today.

@yaya24 What wig did you get, or what kind? Is it yaki, remi, human?? Thanks

So took down my sew in and now I am in a 3/4 wig same hair though

@lexxi your hair is very pretty. Forgive me if its already been posted, but what kind is it and what colors? How are you blending your leave out; and how is detangling going? Oops, lots of questions! :)

Last edited:

lexxi

what kind is it?its a 3c kinky I got duped from a cv
and what colors?is a light auburn color if you dye your hair this color use ion lightner with argon oil from sallys because i have to boost the color abit (natural hair is dark brown black)
How are you blending your leave out?I flat twist it with crisco the first night ,flat twisting hair with the weave the following nights
and how is detangling going? good ive done kc weaves for awhile so im used to it . I just use my deman on my weave and fingers on my hair.

JerriBlank

Dayum guys!
I thought I was around week 6 w/this weave. I double checked today and I'm @ week 9. Shucks!
My growth is hanging and the hair is starting to tangle in the back. I'm gonna have to take it down.
*ugly cries*
If I do,I'll be back weaved up within a couple of weeks. No longer than that!

yaya24

@virtuenow I got the soft yaki unstyled and cut & styled it to my liking.

Its Indian Remy although I prefer Chinese remy.

I don't know how I totally feel about it yet.
When I first got it, I loved the texture..

BUt so far........

It sheds like a beast (LaceFront. The tracks in the back shed.):sad:

It gets greasy/shiny synthetic looking when I add curls to it (which I really like curls over straight hair for work) :sad:

and

overall for a new wig it required A LOT of tweaking. :sad:

Here are pics: (Day 1: Green vs Day 8: curly then straight)

ETA straight pic before adding curls

Attachments

• Day 1.JPG
    Day 1.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Day 8.JPG
    Day 8.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 81
  • straight Day 8.JPG
    straight Day 8.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Oneprettypa

I'm definitely in! I got my most recent sew in 2 weeks ago using Indian Remi hair. Excited about this journey with you ladies!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-1014096196.jpg
    image-1014096196.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 81