Are You New to Weaves? Here Are Some Definite DON'TS!!

Ediese

I haven't searched, so I'm not sure if there is a thread like this already. If there is, this will just count as a refresher for those of you that are new to the world of weaves.

I think that I'm qualified to pass on what I've learned over the years because I started wearing glue in weaves when I was about 12. Then, I graduated to sew-ins at about 16. :ohwell: To think, I probably could have have WL hair by now. :lachen:

Anyway, these are my lessons learned that I hope will be helpful to someone else. If anyone else has other tips, please list them, I'll compile it all to make a huge list.

1. After you take out your sew-in, DO NOT WASH YOUR HAIR before you properly detangle and get out ALL shed hair. (Trust me, you will have a MAJOR setback if you do not listen to that one rule). I learned the hard way. My cousin advised me against it, and I told her that I have that 'good' hair, so my hair will surely not tangle. Well let me tell you...as soon as water hit my hair, it formed locs and got really matted. I had to chop out huge chunks of hair.:wallbash:
  2. Do not let the stylist braid your hair or sew in the weave too tight. You'll know because aside from the major migraine that you'll experience, you'll see a lot of white bulbs on the tip of many strands along your hairline. This means that hair has been pulled out because of the tension. Also, tiny bumps will form in the back of your head. Silly me...I already know this, but I'm suffering from this right now. :wallbash: I need to listen to my own advice. I have two months to nurture my hairline.
  3. It is not recommended that you wear your install for more than three months. I wore an install for four months this year, and thankfully I took it out when it first started to matt up, so I didn't lose any hair. The longer your leave the install coupled with the frequent washing + airdrying, shed hair, etc. will cause your hair to matt up over time.
  4. Do not trust just ANYONE to take out your install. I always take out my installs by myself. I can't say that I don't trust her, but I don't even let my sister take it out. This way, if I happen to mistakenly cut my hair...oh well...at least I was the one that did it. Also, I'm much more patient, and can afford to take the extra 2+ hours to carefully take it down. I doubt a stylist will be that careful.
  5. If you are planning to leave your install in for three months, you might want to rethink frequent washing and cowashing. I usually wash once per week, but sometimes I change it up to once every two weeks. Again, frequent washing and airdrying, product buildup, etc, might cause your hair to get matted..eer on the side of caution. (this is especially true for those with natural hair)
  6. If you are getting a full sew-in with no hair left out, ask your stylist not to braid the baby hairs or the really short strands around your hairline. Trust me..this is the first time that I've had a full head sew-in with everything braided, and my hairline is missing. She braided every strand, and now I"m having to baby that area.
  7. It is normal for you to see lots of hair in your comb after you take out your sew-in. Remember, you did have your hair braided for x time, and what you're seeing is most likely shed hair.
  8. Try to do a protein treatment prior to the sew-in, and when you take it down. This helps to strengthen your hair.
  9. It's also recommended that you at least wait 1-2 weeks before you reinstall another sew-in. This gives you an opportunity to give your real hair that much needed TLC.
  10. Have fun with your weave! Remember there are so many different styles that you can achieve with a weave without damaging your real hair. Do you want some blonde highlights, a curly or wet n' wavy look, or perhaps a pixie cut? Go ahead, and weave it up! Um..you might want to stick with something that will look more natural though. If you're 4a or 4b, you might want to stay about from silky straight hair.
  11. Oh yeah...please stop patting your weave in public!:lachen::lachen: If you haven't noticed, the whole weave moves like it's a wig.

12. If you're relaxed, this is a good way to stretch your relaxers. You don't have to keep relaxing your entire head when you take down an install. If it's going to be braided up anyway, what's the point?

13. Do NOT use hair glue unless you want to be permanently bald, hair glue is a no no. (tip from Ms. Devo) If you're not interested in getting a sew-in weave, please try out the clip in extensions before getting a bonded weave. If you still go ahead and get bonded weave, please take all necessary steps in taking it out so you don't lose hair in the process.

14. Tips on washing hair while you have a weave:
I picked up this great tip from someone on BHM. Put your shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner in separate water/applicator bottles. Dilute it with water, and pour it over your head so it reaches your braids. Gently massage your scalp, and rinse thoroughly. This works great!

15. This is the regimen that I follow when I have my sew-in. Remember I switch it up, and sometimes only wash every two weeks.
Wash 1x week with Creme of Nature (white bottle with green cap)
Condition w/ Mane N Tail
DC 1x week Pantene Pro V relaxed and natural dc mask (really good slip)
Leave in conditioner - Infusium 23
Moisturize every day by spraying a glyercin and water mix to by braids and to the hair that's left out. I also seal the ends of the hair that's left out with castor oil.
Clarify 1x month w/Suave clarifying shampoo

16. What are good brand weaves?
Inexpensive
Beauty Supply Store brands
  • Sensational Premium Now
  • Sensational Outre Goddess Remi

A little more Expensive, but very worth it (You can reuse these. Google them to find them on the net)

• Extensions Plus relaxed texture
  • Halleys Curls relaxed texture
  • Wagmans
  • Indique
  • Belle Noir

17. If you can't (or won't) spend the time DAILY to blend your real hair and the weave hair ............get a FULL HEAD weave (where all of your real hair to tuck out of sight)! Walking around with two different textures or colors...not only scream WEAVE it also is just plain tacky! (Tip by CurliDiva)

18. Buy vent brush or comb with you and USE IT regularly! A weave needs to be styled (either with a comb, brush or my your hands). Do not walk around with a tangled head of yaki hair that looks like you haven't touch it since you rolled out of bed. (Tip by CurliDiva)

19. It is possible to wear a "glued" weave without losing hair - but I definitely would not recommend using that nasty black glue (grey bottle with red tip). If you want a glued weave use Liquid Gold with Airflex strips. I did that with no problem at all. (Tip by Soulie)

20. To remove a sewn weave - don't use scissors - use a seam ripper to break the thread, then use a bobby pin, comb tail, or fingernail to pick the thread out. It takes a little longer, but there is no cut hair. (Tip by Soulie)

21. Invest in quality hair such as Extensions Plus, Nature Girl or Wagmans. All of them maintain their quality over time (even can be reused). This will reduce the amount of tugging against your own braids from attempting to detangle. (Tip by Soulie)

22. Excellent Post! Another thing I would personally like to add is wait at least 7-10 days after taking out your install before geting a touch up relaxer. For the same reason as number 9. (Tip by Bermudabeauty)

23. Tips on blending natural/transitioning hair with weave. If you bought a curly/kinky weave and you're natural, you might want to try using flexi rods or trying a braidout on the hair that you left out. That will help blend your hair with the weave. If you bought a straight weave, you'll more than likely have to constantly straighten it so that it blends in with the weave.

Last edited:

Amerie123

:yep: Ediese is 110% right on all of those, and although i didn't have to experience most of those setbacks first hand, I always kept ALL of those tips in mind from just dealing with hair in general, I just learned as I went along. I am so happy she posted these, because ladies, I'm telling y'all, she is absolutely right with those tips. as far as the washing of the weave, i only washed once every two weeks for those purposes that she mentioned, plus washing a weave is more work than your real hair!!
Again, thanks Ediese for those pointers, and even if I think of some, I will love to chime in.:yep::up:

MonaRae

Many thanks! I hope to be brave enough to get a weave soon. Your info will be very useful very soon!

LadyPaniolo

Very useful! Any advice for itching? That's the main reason why I can't do weaves/ braids.

One thing that cuts down on the weave itchies is taking the base off of the weave hair. First you fill a basin/sink/big pot with warm water and add a few cups of white vinegar. Then you submerge the weave hair and gently swish it about. Let it sit in there for a while, especially if there's no rush to get it out. Wait until you see a whitish scum on the surface of the water. Then take the weave hair out and rinse it off. Let it drip dry and give it a good combing before installing it.

I notice a HUGE difference in itchiness when I do this. I do it with braiding hair, too.

HTH

Joanna721

thanks so much for this I have kinky twists in now and I plan to keep them in till sometime in December and then get some more in January till March and then for graduation (May 9th) Im gonna get a full sew in instead of relaxing my hair so I can have straight hair without a press that will sweat out and without relaxing my hair....I love these tips seeing as though I will probably have it in for two months, I do plan on cutting it right after graduation to a cute asymetric bob

I know that was way more info than anyone cares to know but Im excited to see how much growth I can get by then

smwrigh3

thank you so much I am getting a sew in on Sat for my 21st birthday I have had plenty of them.. but I have neva taken care of my hair while I had them... time for a change!

msdevo

I think another should be to NEVER use hair glue. Unless you want to be permanently bald, hair glue is a no no.

Ediese

Does it matter which way the hair is braided underneath the sew-in? Vertical or in a "beehive" type of braid?

I think most times it's braided in the circular/beehive pattern if you're getting a full head sew-in with now hair left out, or if you're getting some type of bang. For other styles, I think they use the vertical pattern.

Ediese

thanks so much for this I have kinky twists in now and I plan to keep them in till sometime in December and then get some more in January till March and then for graduation (May 9th) Im gonna get a full sew in instead of relaxing my hair so I can have straight hair without a press that will sweat out and without relaxing my hair....I love these tips seeing as though I will probably have it in for two months, I do plan on cutting it right after graduation to a cute asymetric bob

I know that was way more info than anyone cares to know but Im excited to see how much growth I can get by then

I can't wait to see how much growth you'll retain!

Country gal

Thanks to the board, I made sure to really comb through my hair after I took my corn rows outs. I had been wearing a wig and would switch it out every month. My hair did grow but it didn't get to APL yet. :perplexed It is really soft and very thick.

CurliDiva

Great Thread!

My 2 cents:

1. If you can't (or won't) spend the time DAILY to blend your real hair and the weave hair ............get a FULL HEAD weave (where all of your real hair to tuck out of sight)!

:nono: Walking around with two different textures or colors...not only scream WEAVE it also is just plain tacky!

2. Buy vent brush or comb with you and USE IT regularly! A weave needs to be styled (either with a comb, brush or my your hands)

:nono: Do not walk around with a tangled head of yaki hair that looks like you haven't touch it since you rolled out of bed.

crazydaze911

Ediese, how do you take ur own sew in out when u cant see the top of ur head? i've had pple cut my REAL hair out on two occasions - thats why i wont get another weave. I took my own hair locs out with pliers from the hardware store, but i did not dare try anything with scissors......:nono:

Lexib

What's an "install" - is that the net weave? If so I agree 1000% with what you wrote. I lost a lot of hair in my crown & nape area last year from leaving a net weave in for 3 months. when I took that thing off my hair underneath had COMPLETELY matted up. It took about an hour to pry my hair from my scalp and detangle. Thank God I only had half of my hair under the net and not a full head weave :nono:

...and thus began my hair journey:ohwell:

Last edited:

ghanja

good post, halfway through my natural journey this year I broke down and put in a glue in weave which I ABSOLUTELY HATED. I put a ton of oil in my hair when I took it out but towards the bottom I guess the glue clumped up so I lost about 2 inches on the right side of my head :nono: Im glad that it happened early on in the process but still. I can still see where it broke off...:sad:

soulie

It is possible to wear a "glued" weave without losing hair - but I definitely would not recommend using that nasty black glue (grey bottle with red tip). If you want a glued weave use Liquid Gold with Airflex strips. I did that with no problem at all.

To remove a sewn weave - don't use scissors - use a seam ripper to break the thread, then use a bobby pin, comb tail, or fingernail to pick the thread out. It takes a little longer, but there is no cut hair.

Invest in quality hair such as Extensions Plus, Nature Girl or Wagmans. All of them maintain their quality over time (even can be reused). This will reduce the amount of tugging against your own braids from attempting to detangle.

chitowngal330

In addition to the method mentioned above about rinsing the weave in vinegar, I would also recommend keeping your scalp moisturized (I moisturize daily with ORS Olive Oil and sometimes with a liquid leave in). Also, washing every week helps me (I use diluted shampoo and conditioner).

Very useful! Any advice for itching? That's the main reason why I can't do weaves/ braids.

Amerie123

Ediese, how do you take ur own sew in out when u cant see the top of ur head? i've had pple cut my REAL hair out on two occasions - thats why i wont get another weave. I took my own hair locs out with pliers from the hardware store, but i did not dare try anything with scissors......:nono:

Hope i can help answer, and this is the way that i'm able to do it: There is a big difference in the way your hair feels, and the thread, so it's easy to find the thread. so, you wanna take the scissors only against the thread, and kinda put tension on the thread (in like a saw like motion), to break the thread, causing everything else to unravel. and you do this as often as needed. The BIG thing though, is to take your time. but this is my 2 cents. HTH.

Last edited:

bermudabeauty

Excellent Post! Another thing I would personally like to add is wait at least 7-10 days after taking out your install before geting a touch up relaxer. For the same reason as number 9

NYAmicas

Seeker
I dont wear weaves but this is a great thread. Since I'm scared to dye my hair again I may get a weave instead.

loolalooh

Thanks for this thread, Ediese!! I'm thinking about getting a sew-in next year ... just thinking about it.

Question: How do you get your new growth to blend in with your sew-ins? Since I'm natural, I've gotta figure out how this will work. The last time I got a partial sew-in, it was a pain to keep my new growth straight and sleek all the time.:perplexed I also feel like full sew-ins won't look as real, but I don't know.

Ediese

I think I'm so afraid that anyone else will cut my hair that I just go ahead and do it myself. If you can start cutting the thread in some places, which in my case the thread is always brown so it makes it easier to see, you should be able to pull out the thread and the track will come out easily.