What is your hair care budget?

Lovely901Lady

I need the bare essentials, too...I have three kids, work full-time, and I just enrolled in shool full-time....I can't really afford to spend a whole lot of money or time on my hair. I have this year, so far, spent about $70 on deep conditioner, moisturizer, and a creme moisturizer. I have bought some Surge, mango butter, a phony bun, some WGO, vaseline, baggies, ouchless ponytailers, and a moisturizing shampoo. Still on the list of things to get are MSM powder, some cheap conditioner, biotin, flaxseed oil, and blender and stuff to make protein shakes...whew!!! I may start doing my own relaxers this year but it just looks so much better after my hairdresser does it. All in all, I am going to try to keep it under $1200 for the year. That's for me and my daughter....$100/month seems reasonable. Oh, and I want to try some of CD's products before the end of the year.

LABETT

[ QUOTE ]
anky said:
am i the poorest/most hair frugal person on this board or something?

well shoot if my sugardaddy acted right i would be a PJ again

[/ QUOTE ]

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
[ QUOTE ]
anky said:
am i the poorest/most hair frugal person on this board or something?

well shoot if my sugardaddy acted right i would be a PJ again

[/ QUOTE ]
Anky, you got a friend in me (woody's song in toy story).
My staples are CON shampoo, clairol 5x conditioner, redken anti-snap leave in, s-curl, redken deep fuel, acv and safflower oil. I almost forgot my vitamins and since I hate taking pills of any kind, I'll limit them to Z-BEC, b-5, Iron and Flax seed oil
My, I think that did add up,
but my hair's never looked this good

Junebug D

I'd estimate over two months (since that's how lonh most bottles of Shampoo and conditioner last me)
- Shampoo: Between $3(CON from local CVS) and $6 (online Nature's Gate)
- Nature's Gate Conditioner: $6 (online)
- Profective Root Health : $5.30 for two week's worth of this
, so for two months, $21.00!

- random hair accessories from Claire's: $15.

TOTAL: $50.30 for two month's worth of hair stuff. Not TOO bad, but I should try to cut down seeing as if I'm a broke college student.

frankie

I'm so proud of myself...I havn't spent any money on hair products this year yet...but everytime I got to the Beuaty Supply Store I leave with more than I planned on getting, sometimes leaving behind something that I needed
!!!

But, I used to get a touch-up every four weeks which was $55 at least, extra for deep conditioning and trims. Lately I've been getting touch-ups at home w/ Motions Oil Relaxer. I don't really have a budget, I just buy new products that I want to try. But, I have so many products now...I need to stop buying new ones and use the ones I already have.

caramelbarbie

I love this tread!! I'm hoping it will help me to spend less. I started a spread sheet. For Jan I've spent $130
But i needed everything i bought.
Keracare silk /seal 24.95
Keracare silk /seal spray 19.95
Keracare conditioner 12.95
Aphogree vitamin style gel 5.99
Smooth and Shine gel 5.99
Phony pony*3 59.79
I'm going to try not to spend money on hair for FEB.

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
shan_2001 said:
I'd estimate over two months (since that's how lonh most bottles of Shampoo and conditioner last me)
- Shampoo: Between $3(CON from local CVS) and $6 (online Nature's Gate)
- Nature's Gate Conditioner: $6 (online)
- Profective Root Health : $5.30 for two week's worth of this
, so for two months, $21.00!

- random hair accessories from Claire's: $15.

TOTAL: $50.30 for two month's worth of hair stuff. Not TOO bad, but I should try to cut down seeing as if I'm a broke college student.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I go through Root Health like water too... They really need to make it in a bigger container.

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
I don't have a set budget. All I know is that I spent waaaay too much money on hair care in 2003. That's why I'm doing the Product Junkie Challenge, hopefully til June!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey I figured that it would be a good idea to keep the receipts from the hair stuff we buy while on the challenge and set up a budget from that information. That way by having a set $ amount to spend on hair products per month, we'll be less likely to overspend.

I think I could definitely spend less on hair products monthly and probably supplements too.

Spagirl

Just like some women never tell their age....Um, a PJ never tells her hair budget.

This year's receipt pile won't be as many as last year's pile. To date I have spent $0.00

inthepink

I don't really have a budget specifically for hair care but I do track what I spend and I just ran some reports. Quite interesting...

So far this year I've spent $178 on hair supplies.
Last year, I spent a total of $707 on hair supplies and a grand total of $1,104 on hair supplies and hair salon trips.
Last year by the end of April, I'd spent $230 just on going to the hair salon and that is b/c I was not yet purposely taking care of my hair so not yet a product junkie.

The way I look at it, I'm doing better this year b/c I've spent less money on my hair than I would have normally. Now, let me see what I want to buy from fromnaturewithlove.

Allandra

So far this year I've spent $213.28. This includes EVERYTHING that I've purchased for my hair (which includes my trip to the salon in January for a relaxer touch-up).

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
How much is your touch-up, Allandra?

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you thinking about relaxing again or just curious about the price?

inthepink

That is a cheap price for a touch-up! Wow! But just wondering what helps add up to the $213? What else did you buy?

BMoreFlyy

So, far I haven't spent over 50 dollars on hair supplies. I'm not a pj.
So, I buy what I need and that's it. I took a chance on the Surge and I know that once I'm out... I'll buy the oil again but not the Revitalizer... I think that only causes build up. But time will tell..

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
That is a cheap price for a touch-up! Wow! But just wondering what helps add up to the $213? What else did you buy?

[/ QUOTE ]
When I get a chance, I'll see about putting it on my website.

Purtygurly

Well, mine is 30 per month on products.

I only take a multivitamin now, so that's about 8 dollars and one bottle lasts for like... 6 months. so that's 16 dollars

Then I get a relaxer twice a year... costs about 15 dollars (I do it myself)

406 dollars. Not bad!

Irresistible

ummm this is sickening, but I have spent about (estimating) 800 dollars in the last two months , stocking up on hair stuff, oils and butters and all the regular products....this made me so sick at first , untill i looked at it like this....

I can stretch all this stuff out to last at least 8 months (i'm pretty sure i can) plus this is for two head of hair....

so when broken down , its 100 dollars a month, 50 dollars a head...ahhh thank God for justification

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Wow, what did you buy in the last 2 months??

[/ QUOTE ]

girl, tons of oils and butters. i got lbs and lbs of them, i know they will last till the end of the year at least. (they should)

then i figured well im all stocked up for that , so i might as well stock up on the rest of the stuff, so i went to Salley's and got a few tubs of my conditioners and some leave in's .and some oil lotions (just wanted to try them) and some shampoo (which i hardly use anyway) plus add in that Aveda and girl im about (if not over) the 800 dollar mark....i did it so easily too. lol.

But i refuse to spend another red cent on any thing for our hair, for as close to 8 months as i can get...i was outta control

oh yeah i stocked up on Elasta QP mango butter (5), and got some setting lotions...and some accesories (which i never buy)
girl once you get started, before you know it , your overboard.

but im done now...oh yeah and i got, silk protien, wheat protien and panthenol to add to the my oil/butter mixtures.....umm basically i went crazy , i admit it.

northernbelle

Well, it depends on the month, the season, and how much discretionary income I have to spend on "trying out" things.

Anyway, to directly answer the question more directly:

•$65.00 on relaxer touch-ups every eight weeks
•$60.00 every month for two deep conditioning treatments w/ the steamer
•$100.00 a year on hair care products -shampoo, conditioner, special hair treatments, serum, glossifier, setting lotion, replacement comb attachments for blow dryer, plastic conditioning caps, etc.

From July 2003 to the present time, I have been stocking up on products and tools. So, things such as a hood dryer was a one-time expense of about $40.00. I have also purchased a paddle brush, a wrap scarf, combs for setting and styling, rollers for wet and dry sets, and on a variety of products which were "hits" and "misses" along the way.

So, over the course of an eight-week period, I might spend $130.00 for salon visits. On products and tools, it varies depending on what I need. For the month of April, I have spent $3.99 for Head and Shoulders Shampoo, $3.00 for a wrap scarf, $2.00 for extra-large bobby pins for wrap setting, $5.00 for a styling comb, and $14.00 for the Paul Mitchell "Super Skinny" Serum.

The flat iron, as you may know, was a birthday gift from Mommy and Popi.:)

northernbelle

A_Christian

Even though I'm also a broke college student, I don't have a budget on hair care products right now. I'm allowing myself to spend an unlimited amount of what little money I have on hair care products, skin care stuff, other beauty luxuries and etc... I figure that I will treat myself now while I'm still single and living on my own because once the marriage and children come I won't be able to spend everything on me. So right now it's all about me

This year I bought one of those professional hooded dryers from Sally's for about $110.00, had a $65.00 relaxer re-touch in February, spent a few hundred dollars on wash and roller-sets, and at least $200.00 on hair products.
Wow, now that I look at it I'm feeling a little crazy for spending so much on hair stuff. Ah well, until the marriage and kids I get to spend on me me meeeeeee!!!!!

LABETT

I still have no hair budget I buy my hair products in spurts or if I see it on sale and it works well on my hair
I stock pile.

silvergirl

i dont really have a hair budget.. my mother is a hair stylist so i get most of my stuff from her. plus im not big on buying 200 products when it comes to my hair less is more. as for this year so far i probably spent like 30 dollars lol on lekairs conditioner cause my mom cant find that at wholesale. the rest of my products and services are free.