What is your hair care budget?

JenJen2721

I am thinking while I'm on this 3-month challenge that now would be a good time to start keeping track of all of the purchases that I make for my hair. I sat down and did a little math and attempted to come up with a budget. I thought to myself $25 per month would be a good number for my supplement budget. That's $300 per year. Then $25 per month for my hair products budget would be another $300 per year. Then I definitely spend $70 everytime I get a relaxer which is about 6-7 times per year. That's around $490. So adding that all up, my hair budget would be around $1090 on hair!!! I'm thinking....
That's a lot of money!

What you think you spend on your hair? Per month/per year? Including supplements, products, trips to the salon...

Good thing I signed up for the PJ Challenge.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I added this up a while ago:
Supplements $50 a month $600 a year
Hair products $30 a month $360 a year
Relaxers 3-4 a year $30 because I do them myself
Braids and phonies $150 a year

Grand total=$1140 a year

Wow!

CrownnGlori

Ok Seriously, It is about the same. Hey you could be spending it on Twinkies. I think maybe it is $40 to $50 a month for myself and my daughter. It is not that much most of the time.

Allandra

Well, I just started a little spreadsheet with my hair care costs. So far, I've spent $41.48 (including shipping costs) this year (CD Hair Milk, CD Some of Marguerite’s Magic and Pantene Light Spray Conditioner Detangle). I don't plan on putting myself on a budget for my hair care costs, but I do plan on keeping track of how much I spend in 2004 (including relaxer touch-ups).

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
Don't even wanna think about it! Yes, it's that bad

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be scurred!

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
I added this up a while ago:
Supplements $50 a month $600 a year
Hair products $30 a month $360 a year
Relaxers 3-4 a year $30 because I do them myself
Braids and phonies $150 a year

Grand total=$1140 a year

Wow!

[/ QUOTE ]

i have no defined budget per se, but i am limited since im still in school and not working full time

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
Don't even wanna think about it! Yes, it's that bad

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be scurred!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah Army. Don't be scurred.

katie

I don't have a budget either which is kind of bad since I am a student and have never worked a day in my life.Most students are supposed to be low on cash so it makes me feel bad.
My dad gives me more spending money than I actually need so I can afford to not have a hair budget.

JenJen2721

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
Well, I just started a little spreadsheet with my hair care costs. So far, I've spent $41.48 (including shipping costs) this year (CD Hair Milk, CD Some of Marguerite’s Magic and Pantene Light Spray Conditioner Detangle). I don't plan on putting myself on a budget for my hair care costs, but I do plan on keeping track of how much I spend in 2004 (including relaxer touch-ups).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an excellent idea. I think that's what I'm going to do as well. Keeping my receipts when I make hair purchases and/or writing them down in my planner.

aqualung

Between April and December of 2003, I spent about $500 on a virgin relaxer ($100) and 3 pricey touch ups($65+ each time), supplies like my bonnet dryer and shower system and blow dryer, supplements, and products.

I'll be more thrifty in 2004. It's reasonable to spend $0 to $30 per month on hair stuff now that I've got all the hardware.

I've begun to relax on my own (underprocessed
). The quest for the perfect detangling conditioner is over, as I now detangle with my fingers outside of the shower. Once I use up my supplements, I'll only restock MSM powder. My stock piled products from last year will last me AT LEAST til March, so I'm not motivated to make any hair related purchases til then. Buying food with more protein is a related expense. I have a list of conditioners to try later, but I'm hair lazy at the moment.

pookeylou

Wojee cream...$4.99
Shea Butter & essential oils @ FromNatureWithLove.com...$62.20
Not caring how much you spend per month on hair stuff....PRICELESS!

(I think I would pay more attention to my spending on my hair if my DH complained more...But now that he is using MY SURGE...I think I might end up spending more if he gets hooked on it!)

KathyMay

I have a monthly hair PJ budget of $50, but I normally spend less than that.

I have to add that I go my ahir stylist once a month so that is $65 each month depending what I am getting.

L

ladybug

i use to spend alot but now if i have not finished half of the products bought from the prior month than i will not buy any additional products...i am trying to follow the less=more technique... using less products=greater hair resluts..tryingto follow adrienne's product usuage technique...and thus far its workin gi havent bought any products in about 3 months...

the last time i went to the bss..i bought world of curl gel-whic i luv...some dudleys moistrue retainer and some rollers...and from then its been great..leaving alot more money to spend on shoes..lolol

Angelicus

when i didn't know a thing about haircare, i spent over $253 on touch-ups, products, experimentation and such.

Now my budget has gone down since I know what products work on my hair. (this is for the year)

4 Touch-ups $140.00
5 Cheap Conditioner 8.00
2 Vaseline 3.00
2 oils (evoo&coconut) 14.00
3 Hennalucent 12.00
1 Apple Cider Vinegar 3.00
1 Silk Scrunci 3.00
1 Gray Rollers 3.00
-------------------------------
Total $186.00

as a poor college senior, i conserve by using homemade treatments i can make in my kitchen, & not switching products when people start raving about them. Also, if i see a product rave on the board that even sounds expensive, I will not look @ the thread. It's all about self control when you're poor like me

deeplyrooted

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
I don't have a budget either which is kind of bad since I am a student and have never worked a day in my life.Most students are supposed to be low on cash so it makes me feel bad.
My dad gives me more spending money than I actually need so I can afford to not have a hair budget.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't feel bad, we're in the same boat.
i'm daddy's little girl too, but mama's hating
so i'll have to get a job as i kick it on into my last semester as an undergrad (feels SO good to say that
).

i really don't have a budget either, and since i've been a PJ, i wouldn't be surprised if i've spent a good $500-1000 just in experimenting with products alone in 2003. a good chunk of 'em i only used once just to see what they were like. hanging head in shame.

ETA: for 2004, i'm determined to stick to my set list of 10 (or less) products that i KNOW work well for me.
i'm ball parking a good $200 for products this year since i like the kinda high end stuff (aveda, paul mitchell, etc.)

nebula24

[ QUOTE ]
ladybug said:
i use to spend alot but now if i have not finished half of the products bought from the prior month than i will not buy any additional products...i am trying to follow the less=more technique... using less products=greater hair resluts..tryingto follow adrienne's product usuage technique...and thus far its workin gi havent bought any products in about 3 months...

the last time i went to the bss..i bought world of curl gel-whic i luv...some dudleys moistrue retainer and some rollers...and from then its been great..leaving alot more money to spend on shoes..lolol

[/ QUOTE ]

I follow the less=more technique too. Never did spend a lot on hair products because I need the extra money for kitchen/cooking gadgets!!!!
Don't have a budget for hair but I plan to spend very little this year. In 2003, I bought bulk MSM, several liters of Nexxus Shampoo/Conditioner, Dudley's DRC, Surge, rollers, hair dryer, etc. I experimented with several conditioners and moisturizers. In retrospect, I didn't spend that much. In 2004, I intend to buy supplements (biotin, efa, barley green, beet root), S-Curl, Sta-sof-fro and LeKair Conditioner and get two touch ups. Approximately $500. That's it.

Oh, almost forgot - I just bought a $300 inversion table but not specifically for hair growth.

Miosy

I'm estimating with what I can recall that I spent over a grand on hair products and accessories. Shampoos, conditioners, flat iron, air dryers, burrettes, relaxers, etc. This year, I am going to keep track of what I buy!!!
I don't want to spend no more than.......300 dollar

cary

I figure that I have enough shampoos, conditioners and other hair products to last me through the year and then some, so just counting my weekly salon visits:

$30 for wash and set (incl. tip) x 46 = $1380
$40 for wash, set and trim (incl. tip) x 2 = $80
$60 for touch-up, wash and set (incl. tip) x 4 = $240

Total = $1700/yr

The "funny" part is that I'm really only paying her to set my hair now, as I now wash and deep condition it at home (shampoo followed by mild protein treatment and then a moisturizing conditioner most weeks) and then go to the salon for her to rinse the conditioner out, spray in my leave in, set my hair and put me under the dryer. I just can't duplicate the results of that last part myself (when I rollerset my own hair it never comes out as silky smooth). I also continue to go b/c I don't want to hurt her feelings.
And, well, it's just about become a four year Saturday afternoon ritual. Plus, I like her. Before finding her, I used to go from stylist to stylist b/c each of them did something to &#%@ me off (e.g., talk on cell phone while putting relaxer in my hair, burn my scalp to the point of leaving scabs, make me wait for at least an hour and a half each time, etc.) . So, I guess $1700/yr is not too high a price after all.

Lindy

I don't have a set budget. All I know is that I spent waaaay too much money on hair care in 2003. That's why I'm doing the Product Junkie Challenge, hopefully til June!!

jellynote

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Allandra I've spent $41.11 so far on The S Word
and hair oil. I'm also going to keep a record on my hair care spending. My hubby was like I don't care how much you spend as long as you don't go crazy and he knows i won't because we've got 3 kids and 1 on the way.
You got love that comment
though. I do my on relaxers so that'll help a little.

brismom

I'm new to all of this so I don't really have an idea of what is reasonable. I'm a full time student and a stay at home mom. My husband is employed fulltime and a part time student (yeah, its crazy at my house). He knew I was expensive when he married me so he doesn't trip about the money I spend, but I do want to keep myself on a reasonable budget. Long story short (too late!) I need to establish what the bare esseentials for maximum growth, thickness and overall health. I will be eagerly awaiting your suggestions.

Angelicus

am i the poorest/most hair frugal person on this board or something?

well shoot if my sugardaddy acted right i would be a PJ again

DigitalRain

I just spent $25 at Carol's Daughter. Bwahhahaahahha.

Seriously, though I think that will be my last splurge. Class starts next Monday and I need to cut down on unnecessary spending for a long time and focus on my studies instead buying hair stuff.