The Ultimate Hardcore No Heat Challenge 2013

Hey everyone, I am excited to say we are staying on page two or three. For a small group of 30 challengers, that is amazing.

You ladies wear the most fabulous no heat styles, and I can't wait to see how we are looking fabulous with no heat next month. Happy New Year.

January no heat tip of the month: Trim your ends 1/8 of an inch every three months and seal with a heavy butter nightly, even if they look healthy. That is about - this much hair. So you won't think you cut anything, but will have probably cut _ this much hair which is 1/4 of an inch. We can't see splits, cracks or broken ends when we are no heat styling, so it is better to be safe than sorry. You won't even miss that 3/4 inch of hair at the end of the year.

Some ladies think that they can shirk on their regime because they aren't using heat. They assume that their ends are going to be great, no splits or knots. After an extended time period they are shocked to find lousy unmanageable ends. Often cutting off all of their progress for the sake of healthy looking hair. Hope this helps everyone to be successful.

Currently in braids as a protective style. Had them in for three days so far. My hair seems to be extremely dry though. I have to take them out, deep condition, then this time re-grease/oil hair before braiding. (Sorry about large images, I did resize)
dvgifr.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to share. I had previously posted pics of my Sunday braid out. I forgot to add that I used KBB Sweet Ambrosia LI.

Also I went from church straight to work. I was in & out of 30 degree weather all night w/no protection on my hair whatsoever. When I got home my intentions were to braid it back up. I got through about 4 plaits & gave up, put on my silk scarf & went to bed.

This morning I truly expected to have a mess under that scarf. Instead the loose hair was fluffy & soft. I'm falling in love with KBB! Tis all...

hey all!!! Sorry im late. here is my style. its just a bun. I wash, condish and then bun. I tie my hair down with a silk scarf. My hair loves the moisture from air drying.

PS - I dyed my hair burgandy and I am sooooooooooooo loving it right now.

Attachments

• 20121227_101310.jpg
    20121227_101310.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 30
Lovingmywaves12 You are right on time, we love to see no heat hair styles. That color is amazing.

nakialovesshoes In the original post I thought you said you used KBB butter with oyin juice. Did you put the oyin juice, then kbb leave in and seal with the kbb butter. Or are you saying that you were able to refresh your style with the Kbb leave in and it came out soft. I had that leave in and it was nice, but I was new on the hhj and didn't really know how to use it.

Ijanei That is why you look so cute, you keep yourself up. Can you wrap it with a scarf or plop a little grease on it like the cute kids moms used to do to keep the plaits nice for two weeks?

Seamonster that's exactly what I'm going to do. This was just a trial to see if I looked right with braids and also to see if I would catch a migraine. It just turned out to be not so bad. Later tonight I'm going to do them over and keep them in for at least two weeks (attempt to at least).

How is your hair right now?

Sholapie thx, this is only the first time I did it. lol I just didn't prepare them right to keep them in for over a few days. Which I have learned my lesson. Going to keep them in as long as they last, hopefully.

@Lovingmywaves12 that colour is HOT!!
@Ijanei the braids are beautiful, its a shame you have to redo them so often but the style is lovely :)

Thanks Sholapie!!!! I picked it off the box. I think Im going to re die it... but this time its gonna be fire engine red. I will use the color to check how much my hair grows in a year. This way I can see it from the roots, instead of trying to measure my ends (just in case I dont retain all my ends) .

Lovingmywaves12 You are right on time, we love to see no heat hair styles. That color is amazing.

nakialovesshoes In the original post I thought you said you used KBB butter with oyin juice. Did you put the oyin juice, then kbb leave in and seal with the kbb butter. Or are you saying that you were able to refresh your style with the Kbb leave in and it came out soft. I had that leave in and it was nice, but I was new on the hhj and didn't really know how to use it.

I used the KBB LI while I was airdrying. After it was dry I used the J&B & the KBB hydration creme to plait it up. Sry for the confusion.

The LI is a staple at this point. Awesome slip yet light enough for my fine strands. I'm already plotting on my KBB Black Friday purchases.

Yaay!!! Space saver :) I am excited because I want to eliminate heat from my regimen to obtain healthy long hair. So my stats & start pic will be up towards the end of the month when I take my cornrows out.

Ok so I decided to sit this one out for awhile. My retention is not the best and I never us heat more than 4 times a year (every 3 months) anyways & I protective quite often. So I decided try another method to see if I can improve with how much hair I retain.
Plus I am terrible at checking in with challenges! :look:

I hope you ladies all the best...Happy Hair Growing!

I put 2 strand twist on my hair year only using water

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-2055345497.jpg
    image-2055345497.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 34
toyas08 I have to agree that is a nice shine, and I want to know what you are doing to get hair like that. What are you eating, vitamins, exercise, do you eat a lot of fish or peanuts. Please break this down for me. Are you doing henna :detective:

toyas08 I have to agree that is a nice shine, and I want to know what you are doing to get hair like that. What are you eating, vitamins, exercise, do you eat a lot of fish or peanuts. Please break this down for me. Are you doing henna :detective:

Yeah, let us in on the secret!! :sekret:

Finally planned out my "relaxer schedule" for the year since I want them to coincide with my challenge check in dates. My last texlax was in September, I'm hoping to stretch until March 30th, then again until December, pending on my hair's mood. I've done 6 month stretches before, but I didn't really understand the signs of when to quit. My hair throws in the towel anywhere between 4 and 7 months, so I'll play it by ear. I think staying on my vits and water game will guarantee that 6-9 month goal.

This is going to be the first time I've self-relaxed, I've got 77 days to figure out how! My nape is a good 6 inches shorter than the rest of my hair because my mother would do my whole head in one sitting, starting from the back. Since she "doesn't have time to be messing with no half and half method foolishness", I'm taking matters into my own hands. I think I might even just leave out my nape and not relax it until December because it's so damaged. The research continues!

Last edited:
Evo-ny That sounds like a great plan. I know some other ladies braided damaged parts to protect it and it really grew out. A few youtubers had problem areas, and now all o their hair is lush. African export, mizi, and sistaswithrealhair, so be encouraged.

My first official no heat style is mini braids and here are pictures of them. I plan to keep them in for around 6 weeks.

Attachments

• 1-12-13--Braided French Braid.jpg
    1-12-13--Braided French Braid.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 1-12-13--Mini Braids I (3).jpg
    1-12-13--Mini Braids I (3).jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 1-12-13--Mini Braids I (5).jpg
    1-12-13--Mini Braids I (5).jpg
    279 KB · Views: 38
@toyas08 I have to agree that is a nice shine, and I want to know what you are doing to get hair like that. What are you eating, vitamins, exercise, do you eat a lot of fish or peanuts. Please break this down for me. Are you doing henna :detective:

I washed with Aztec bentonite clay, I eye balled measurements. I put 3-4 big tsps, I pored in some grape seed oil, evoo and water, it had a yogurt consistency. I let it air dry then sprayed my end with water. I didn't seal with oil, this was the only time my hair held twist:yep:. I moisturize and seal when necessary but other then that I leave my hair alone and up.

I want to try henna, I don't take vitamins, playing dance central is my exercise:look::lachen:, I do eat peanuts and fish sometimes. That's about all I do:yep:.

Back