The Ultimate Hardcore No Heat Challenge 2013

1. I'm in it to win it so straight to challenge level 3 ( No heat in 2013) !
1a Ultimate Challenge Protective Styling
2. Have you ever done a no heat challenge before? Nope but i only use heat 5 times a year tops to why not
3. Do you plan to trim your ends without heat? Yes as i usually do
4. Do you know How to Stretch your hair without heat? Yes
5. Do you plan to increase your challenge to the ultimate level by protective styling everyday? Yes
5a. If not, can you commit to low manipulation styles throughout your challenge? Yes
6. What do you hope to gain from this challenge? Less SSKs and Split ends!
7. Do you know how to do length checks without heat? Yes i use pull tests
8. Post both a starting length and thickness picture. Pictures are Mandatory to be a member of this challenge
Length

thickness
Well does that picture show thickness too..if not ill take a better picture!
9. List your No Heat Regime (Updated 11/22/12)

Daily
MN scalp massage
Water + Moisturizer mist

Weekly
Shampoo - A mix of shampoos ..literally or Dove Oil therapy
DC
1/2 cup Unfiltered/Unrefined/Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup Organic Raw Honey
1/2 Unsweetened Organic Coconut Milk
1/2 Hass Avocado
1/2 Organic Banana

Water mist
Leave in - Elasta QP Olive Oil & Mango Butter Hair Moisturizer
Oil moisturizer
Seal with Shea butter
Braid up/Twist up then undo in the morning and bun for the rest of the week.. Stays moisturized all week but i do apply more moisturizer to my edges since i feel like it gets a little dry mid week

Every 5/6 weeks
Protein treatment - Gelatin + Mane and Tail conditioner
Henna - Water + Unfiltered/Unrefined/Extra Virgin Olive Oil + Unsweetened Organic Coconut Milk + Organic Raw Honey

Every 12/14 weeks
Jet Black hair dye

Updating my starting picture
taken December 30th

ForumRunner_20130103_133549.jpg

I have been staying pretty consistent for the start of this year. I last used heat on NYE and that was to set my Bantu knots which was already dry so I only sat under the dryer for five min and I used a heat protectant as well so hopefully it didn't do too much harm. Other than that time I haven't used heat so I'm on the road to healthy hair :)

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

1. Are you doing challenge level 1 (heat every three months)
challenge level 2 (heat every six months)
challenge level 3 ( No heat in 2013)
Challenge Level 2, however I do a blow out in May, and a flat iron in November, so I hope this is the right one to select.
1a Are you going hardcore, ultimate or doing the ultimate hardcore no heat challenge?
Ultimate Hardcore no heat challenge
2. Have you ever done a no heat challenge before?
Yes I have
3. Do you plan to trim your ends without heat?
Yes
4. Do you know How to Stretch your hair without heat?
Yes, I do it every time in between protective styles.
5. Do you plan to increase your challenge to the ultimate level by protective styling everyday?
Yes
5a. If not, can you commit to low manipulation styles throughout your challenge?
6. What do you hope to gain from this challenge?
Length
7. Do you know how to do length checks without heat?
Yes
8. Post both a starting length and thickness picture. Pictures are Mandatory to be a member of this challenge
I will post a starting picture at the end of December, but in my signature there is a current picture with my hair stretched in the back.
9. List your No Heat Regime
cowash 2x per week [Suave Naturals, VO5 Moisture Milks, or White Rain Ocean Mist Hydrating]
DC 1x per week [cholesterol]
protective styles only, primarily mini braids
clarify 1x every 4-5 weeks [Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, VO5 Kiwi & Lime Clarifying Conditioner, or Suave Clarifying Conditioner]
finger detangling
GHE 3x per week
LOC 2x per week
low manipulation
air drying, except for a once a year blowout [May]

End of year/starting pics are now in my signature.

It's been more than a month since I've used direct heat! I think this is the longest I've gone in over a year. This challenge really makes me think twice even when i really feel like it. As far as styling ive just been bunning.

FINALLY ordered a set of seamless combs, I've been meaning to for over a year now. I can't wait for them to arrive! They should definitely help in the detangling struggles.

I'm going to bump up my difficulty level to no heat for the whole year, with protective styling the entire time. Won't be doing any travelling until Christmas 2013, so I won't flat iron until then.

:hottub: January Style picture roll call/

Happy New Year Hard Core hair growers, Let's get started! It is time for our monthly style roll call. Please post a picture of your no heat style.

Normally, we are going to post no heat styles, but if you would like to post your holiday style and your no heat style that would be fine. I ended up not doing my hair for the holidays but I will definitely post a no heat style.

Furthermore check in even if you are struggling, I know this ain't easy, let us help you. Trust me, you are going to need it.

aa9746 UH3
jesusislove1526 UH2
prettybyrd UH3
JessieLeleB UH3
ShawnC UH1

Ultimate
ManiiSweetheart U3
Tonto U3
toyas08 U3
Curlywurly10 U1 Sept End
SincerelyBeautiful U2
Rozlewis U1

Hardcore
SUNSHINE BABY H3
Lovingmywaves12 H3

No Heat
Danniquin C1
AlwaysNatural C1
alove15 C3
nakialovesshoes C3
kurlllz C2
Sholapie C1
freckledface C1
GoodMernin C3
Evo-ny C2

My starting pictures reloaded. I will post my no heat style next week because now my hair is still flat ironed.

Attachments

• 2013 Challenges Start Pic.jpg
    2013 Challenges Start Pic.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Happy New Year Hard Core hair growers, Let's get started! It is time for our monthly style roll call. Please post a picture of your no heat style.

Normally, we are going to post no heat styles, but if you would like to post your holiday style and your no heat style that would be fine. I ended up not doing my hair for the holidays but I will definitely post a no heat style.

Furthermore check in even if you are struggling, I know this ain't easy, let us help you. Trust me, you are going to need it.

I wore a twist out during the holidays & didn't even take any pics. I know shame on me. :nono:

Right now I have some Anita Grant conditioning clay in my hair. I was planning to do a curlformer set when I wash it out but my son was invited to a play date :ohwell: & I won't have time. If I feel like it when I get back, I'll still do the curlformer set & post pics tomorrow. If not, I'll probably just put it in some celie plaits & put on my trusted beanie.

For the most part, I'll be in celie plaits under a beanie until I get my weave done at the end of the month- nothing photo worthy.

nakialovesshoes Oh my, you wore a twist out and no pictures, be still my heart. Can we get a photo of the beanie style with the plaits? Are you wearing a silk scarf under your beanie or is it lined?

No heat style right now is curlformers

image-1365572001.jpg

Holiday style was a twistout bun

image-3644723082.jpg

Currently doing ok w/ the no heat. Esp. Since curlformers give me an ironed effect minus the roots. Also gave my self a 1in trim to kick off the year.

alove15 beautiful no heat style, thanks my hair is no where near as long as yours, so I don't know if curlformers get harder as the hair gets longer, but my roots come out smooth because I twist the root of my hair before putting on the curlformer.

Here is how my curlformers set come out

I now have enough hair to do a bun, so I wore this little bun for the holidays :look:

I decided to join in. I haven't used heat since the early December.

1. I will do challenge level 1 (heat every three months) and doing the Ultimate Challenge.

2. Have you ever done a no heat challenge before? Attempted.

3. Do you plan to trim your ends without heat? yes. I never trim with heat anyway

4. Do you know How to Stretch your hair without heat?
yes

5. Do you plan to increase your challenge to the ultimate level by protective styling everyday? Ummm, no. I love to play in my hair too much

5a. If not, can you commit to low manipulation styles throughout your challenge?
Yes

6. What do you hope to gain from this challenge? Less splits/breakage

7. Do you know how to do length checks without heat?
yes

no heat applied in these pics. Just stretching
nfd4k.jpg

9. List your No Heat Regimen

*Wash weekly.
*Deep Condition once bi-weekly
*Wet wrap hair for straight styles
*Protective styles
*Wear braids often so I can stay out of my hair
*Oil/seal scalp/strands when needed
*cowash a few xs during this challenge when not wet setting/wrap

Nothing major

As I have been in a show (pantomime) over the Christmas holidays, my hair has been in a variety of wigs. Please excuse the makeup and feathers!!

It finishes this weekend so I will then be returning to messy buns for the considerable future :yep:

Attachments

• image-2119075170.jpg
    image-2119075170.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 25
  • image-1250228414.jpg
    image-1250228414.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 26
  • image-3507615485.jpg
    image-3507615485.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 29
Ijanei
Curlywurly10 Wow, you are so pretty, I love the feather look. Girl, I think I might get me some shorter feathers and decorate my tiny bun. What are the name of the those wigs, and who makes them? I like to rock a wig on cold days.
ManiiSweetheart thanks for the update, beautiful hair

Seamonster said:
Ijanei
Curlywurly10 Wow, you are so pretty, I love the feather look. Girl, I think I might get me some shorter feathers and decorate my tiny bun. What are the name of the those wigs, and who makes them? I like to rock a wig on cold days.
ManiiSweetheart thanks for the update, beautiful hair

Aww thank you! Yeah that would look cute, make sure you take some pictures and show us :yep: The wig with bangs was just a cheap wig from the production company so I'm not sure who makes it unfortunately but the wig with the feathers is Freetress Equal synthetic lace front and it's called Amber. I've been really impressed with it.

image-2837615945.jpg

Braid out FAIL and I gotta be at a dinner in less than an hour. :whyme:
So I'm throwing it up in a high ponytail with twisty earrings to match it!

Currently hennaing .... took about 500 g
I'll keep it in over night and cowash it out in the morning.
And apply indigo... trying this out instead of chemical dyes.
Trying to keep my hair in a high bun until April 1st. For the most retention as possible.
I kind of want to be MBL by then so consistency and determination are key.

I've been doing twist outs for the last 2 weeks, I washed with organix Moroccan shampoo and conditioned with suave strawberry then wet bunned.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Seamonster cute curl former results! Not sure how the difficulty compares since these were my first set. Thanks for the tip about twisting the root! I'll try it out on my next set.

I did a co-wash w/Honey Hemp & a DC w/Anita Grant's Rhassoul clay. I allowed my hair to airdry lose which probably wasn't the best idea. Before I went to bed I misted with Juices & Berries & moisturized w/KBB's hydration cream. (Pic 1) Usually I use SM Curling Soufflé on my twist/braid outs but I was being lazy. I'm pleased with the results. (Pic 2)

image-3537585812.jpg

image-2800674020.jpg

I wore the braid out to church today. Tonight I will replait & my braids will be hidden under my beanie for the rest of the week. I will try & remember to take a pic w/the beanie on.

Last edited:
nakialovesshoes OMG! Your braidout is so cute. Looking forward to seeing those beenies. pookaloo83 used to post slouch beenie photos in the everyday hairstyle thread, and I copied all of her styles, plus tried to find the same beenies.

alove15, you did a great job on your first set. Hope the twisting the roots works for you.

Wash day complete. Decided to try 2 strand twisting with Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie. Testing this out since a friend didn't want it. I'll keep these twists until Monday then undo them and put them up in a high bun. For the rest of the week.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130106_163321.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130106_163321.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 28
  • ForumRunner_20130106_163350.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130106_163350.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 27
Back