Hip Length 2011!! Let's do this!!

Lucia

Okay, so I put in a weave before I left for Europe, its been 2 months and now i'm kinda nervous about "my" hair underneath. Has anyone ever had weaves and it damaged their hair? (How do some of these girls wear weaves non-stop??) The original plan was to leave it in until 2 weeks before my "big event" (second weekend of July) but now I'm thinking take it out now and be gentle to my hair until then....

any thoughts or advice?

Yes if you're going to wear weaves back to back you must take it down every 6-8 weeks, DC check your ends, dust them and then re-install.
I had some dryness and damage when I used an install that I couldn't get to my hair and moisturize daily.

ETA: Whatever weave you choose, you must be able to get to your hair to moisturize and/or oil the length. Wigs are easier for this reason they come off and you can treat your hair without restriction. HTH

Last edited:

constance

Here's a pic taken today. It looks like the longest bits are roughly 3 inches from HL (where my hand is resting). Once I reach hip I'll maintain and trim until length is even. If all goes well (drink lots of water, eat well, and exercise) I may be able to reach HL by Dec...if not, Mar/April. ;)
http://

Well it's good that you are trying to change that :yep:. Now about this avocado oil, how good is it?
Avocado oil is excellent! I'm using cosmetic grade so I don't know how rich it is but it claims to have protein. I found that coconut oil is too heavy for oiling my ends but avocado is perfect. By the next day it will disappear into the hair. I didn't need to oil at all yesterday because my ends were so soft. I may just save money and stick to avocado oil because I'm kind of scared to try anything else and have it be useless, that happens all too often with products especially since my hair hates nearly everything and is very fickle. I totally recommend avocado oil though.

Ms Lala

Hey Ladies!!!
I've been so focused on the new baby arriving. My hair is doing okay. I've been wearing lots of twist outs and buns lately. I posted an update video on youtube on how the pregnancy is impacting my hair growth if anyone is interested. I'm going to straighten and trim again soon. I'm seriously considering cutting back to MBL after the pregnancy and growing it back.

http://youtu.be/pUDfmtw4t0c

FoxxyLocs

You ladies are making great progress! I don't have much to update. My rollerset didn't work out, but I'm going to try again next week. I finally trimmed my ends so I'm a tiny bit past WL now. I could stand to cut maybe another inch, but I'm going to put it off until August or September. I don't wanna go too crazy with the scissors. Today I'm doing a DC because my hair feels a little dry. I'll probably just bun for the rest of the week and maybe co-wash this weekend.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
You ladies are making great progress! I don't have much to update. My rollerset didn't work out, but I'm going to try again next week. I finally trimmed my ends so I'm a tiny bit past WL now. I could stand to cut maybe another inch, but I'm going to put it off until August or September. I don't wanna go too crazy with the scissors. Today I'm doing a DC because my hair feels a little dry. I'll probably just bun for the rest of the week and maybe co-wash this weekend.

Girl, that thickness is the bizz-ness! Love it!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
You know, it's really hitting me that wearing my hair up so much keeps me from feeling the length that I am. I'm always floored when I do wear it out. And hair that I know is shorter than mine always seems longer because I'm still remembering my hair at SL. I try to keep my pictures in front of me to remind me but, dang. I've gotta start wearing my hair out more to enjoy the length. 'course, I'm saying all this with a full-head baggy on covered by a scarf. :grin: It did feel good to wear it out over the weekend, especially after the curls loosened up a bit.

And speaking of, I really have to get rid of these layers so that I can have a consistent flow and I'm definitely going to exchange my V shape for a U shape.

Ahhh, I'm just rambling. Been checking out other heads to get my goal look straight for myself, since I expect to be there this year. We have another half a year to go. That's a lot of time to do some great growing. And I'm excited about that.

Ramble over.

FoxxyLocs

Thanks NJoy!

I've gotten really self conscious about wearing my hair out. Sometimes I want to wear it down to take a break from bunning, but when I look in the mirror I always think it's "too much" for wherever I'm going. Usually just to work, or to pick my son up from daycare. I only feel ok about wearing it down when I'm going out with DH. IMO, long hair automatically has a certain sex appeal and I don't want to look sexy at work or at daycare:ohwell:. I would like to wear my hair down more, the extra attention kinda makes me uncomfortable though. Can anyone relate?:look:

Lucia

Girl, that thickness is the bizz-ness! Love it!

Her hair isn't just thick it's THACK yeah I made it up
FoxxyLocs
Gorgeous hair and congratz.
Btw it's your hair and if you want to be the HOT mammi picking up kids at daycare go ahead enjoy your hair and your whip length now so let them hate and whip that hair.

Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

Thanks Lucia!

I know I just need to get over it and go ahead and wear my hair out if I want to. I don't have much of a problem with people looking (even the stank looks, lol), I just hate when someone sees my hair and runs over to comment (loudly) and then everybody's looking at me waiting on some kind of explanation or something. It's just awkward :ohwell:.

JJamiah

I just don't like to wear my hair out. Now is that weird LOL
I prefer my hair off my neck. I don't like it on my back. I only wear it out after I shampoo for ten seconds; glance in the mirror and put it up.

PLUS...... I go get it done at the beauty parlor and let them wrap it and most of the times never remove it, I wear a wig over it or put my knotted head wrap over it. I keep my head covered alot!

wyldcurlz

Yes if you're going to wear weaves back to back you must take it down every 6-8 weeks, DC check your ends, dust them and then re-install.
I had some dryness and damage when I used an install that I couldn't get to my hair and moisturize daily.

ETA: Whatever weave you choose, you must be able to get to your hair to moisturize and/or oil the length. Wigs are easier for this reason they come off and you can treat your hair without restriction. HTH

Lucia - yikes. that's what i haven't been doing. moisturizing. what's the best way to get to that hair? i remember someone mentioning a needle nosed hair coloring bottle with oil, but what else can i use for moisture??? that's a big concern. its been in for a few weeks with no moisture. help please!!

Lucia

Lucia - yikes. that's what i haven't been doing. moisturizing. what's the best way to get to that hair? i remember someone mentioning a needle nosed hair coloring bottle with oil, but what else can i use for moisture??? that's a big concern. its been in for a few weeks with no moisture. help please!!

I 2nd the applicator tip plastic bottle you can get them at the BSS
Mix one up with your oil mixture make sure these won't turn solid. Then make one of 3/4 water and1/4 moisturizing conditioner. That way you can get into the weave and condition then seal thats what i did and it worked but use a weave that gives you access watch out for the weave clossure units those are hard to moisturize your hair underneath. Those gave me trouble
Hth

BostonMaria

Just wanted to check in and say hello to everyone

I have been wearing my hair curly lately, but not really doing much with it. I am contemplating doing a BKT to see if I can cut my drying/styling time. Also to get rid of the frizz. Don't know if I want to do all that since it took me so long to transition and grow my hair back.

A few days ago I did a molasses treatment on my hair. I threw in some avocado, castor, and castor oil in it plus some Mayo. I left it in my hair for about an hour. Right after I did an avocado treatment that my daughter mixed up for me (smooshed avocados, oils, some conditioner + God knows what else) and I left it on over night. It makes my DD's hair really shiny and her rollersets last like 2 weeks when she does the avocado treatment.

I'm under the dryer right now. So happy I can finally rollerset again after the heatwave we've had. Hopefully it'll last.

NikkiGirl

Hey Everyone,

I haven't been doing too much to my hair, I am super lazy and it is already super hot in Texas. Anyway, I have been contemplating cutting, but I am gonna wait until the end of the year and see how I feel then. I think I am going to straighten my hair this weekend and try like heck to keep it that way for a month or more. Yea, Yea, it's gonna be all dirty. I don't even care, right now I just need a break from transitioning. LOL. Everyone's hair is looking really great. I am not noticing much growth right now, but I am still trucking along.

NikkiGirl

Avocado oil is excellent! I'm using cosmetic grade so I don't know how rich it is but it claims to have protein. I found that coconut oil is too heavy for oiling my ends but avocado is perfect. By the next day it will disappear into the hair. I didn't need to oil at all yesterday because my ends were so soft. I may just save money and stick to avocado oil because I'm kind of scared to try anything else and have it be useless, that happens all too often with products especially since my hair hates nearly everything and is very fickle. I totally recommend avocado oil though.

Hey, can I ask if you are using avocado oil after a moisturizer or while your hair is wet or dry, just wondering. I am looking for an option to take better care of my ends. :grin:

BostonMaria

Finally a length check from me. I don't think my hair has grown that much this year. I haven't been taking care of my ends. I'm starting to wonder if I've hit my terminal length at waist length.

My DD said I need to trim my ends. I may just have to. I have like 4 inches to go to hit TBL I think. I might trim in Dec back to MBL. We'll see. I'm going to get it professionally done in a few weeks and do another length check.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Janet'

Finally a length check from me. I don't think my hair has grown that much this year. I haven't been taking care of my ends. I'm starting to wonder if I've hit my terminal length at waist length.

My DD said I need to trim my ends. I may just have to. I have like 4 inches to go to hit TBL I think. I might trim in Dec back to MBL. We'll see. I'm going to get it professionally done in a few weeks and do another length check.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

:drool: :drool: :drool: I :love2: :love2: your hair!

BostonMaria

:drool: :drool: :drool: I :love2: :love2: your hair!

Thanks @Janet' altho it really doesn't feel like its growing anymore. I am contemplating doing a BKT for the summer. I trust the person who's going to do it. I guess I'll give it more thought.

Hey, can I ask if you are using avocado oil after a moisturizer or while your hair is wet or dry, just wondering. I am looking for an option to take better care of my ends. :grin:

@NikkiGirl I loooove avocado oil. Out of all the oils its my favorite. I add it to my deep conditioners, Amla treatments, and also use it by itself on my straightened hair. Its not greasy at all and is even light enough to use on my face. I highly recommend it. I use it on my ends when my hair is straight. I use avocado butter on my curly hair.

BTW is that girl in your avatar you?

Last edited:

Lucia

Thanks Janet' altho it really doesn't feel like its growing anymore. I am contemplating doing a BKT for the summer. I trust the person who's going to do it. I guess I'll give it more thought.

I had a really bad experience with bkt it messed up my ends they were super dry and damaged I had to cut and cut and cut all 2010 bc o that.
That's the reason why I'm not HL approahing TL this year.
Even of you do it right it can still damage your hair. Check outReneice's YT
Wheels a test patch. I piste the link in the TL crakin thread.

BostonMaria

I had a really bad experience with bkt it messed up my ends they were super dry and damaged I had to cut and cut and cut all 2010 bc o that.
That's the reason why I'm not HL approahing TL this year.
Even of you do it right it can still damage your hair. Check outReneice's YT
Wheels a test patch. I piste the link in the TL crakin thread.

Oh hells no!!! :nono: You had me at "cut and cut and cut" LMAO :lachen:
I'll deal with the frizz then!

@NikkiGirl.... I don't use any other kind of moisturizer that I seal the oil with. I don't know what I would use if I did want to use a moisturizer either lol. I use it on dry hair btw. I know oils are for sealing but I think they can be good for protecting the hair also since oils like jojoba and the avocado are pretty similar to our own sebum. I just don't like the idea of using any kind of silicone or synthetic product on my ends so I just use oil...
Also, my hair tends to reject most products, almost everything I use will lead to severe dryness.
If I don't straighten my hair I'll still use avocado or coconut but on wet hair and much more heavily. On dry ends I use a TINY amount.

Last edited: