Hip Length 2011!! Let's do this!!

MariposaSexyGirl

NJoy , I totally hear you on the tangles and the doubt. I've been feeling the same way. And I keep fretting over my ends being thin, which seems to be the norm for all of us. But you're sooo close. Good luck with whatever you decide.

SHEANITPRO , your hair has grown so much! Can you pm me too about how you get those curls on the end. And how long your able to maintain them.

SerenavanderWoodsen , your trim looks great.

I flatironed my hair last week and here are some update pics. Based off of the pics, I'm going to let my hair grow about another 1" - 1 1/2". Then I'm going to slow start trimming until my ends thicken up.

OMG it's so beautiful! Congrats on HL!!!

NikkiGirl

Wow! this thread has blown up. LOL. I haven't been on here in FOREVER! Anyway, Dee Raven, your hair is looking great and you are so HL.

For my hair update: grab some popcorn, this might be long. So, my hair is not doing so well. I feel like I don't know how to take care of it. :sad: I have been transitioning, this December will be two years, and my hair is getting so tangled and I am losing tons of hair just trying to detangle, not to mention freezing in the shower as the warm turns cold.:ohwell: So at this point, I don't know whether my natural journey should take precedence over my length journey. So then I think, what if I cut my hair to shoulder and don't like it, I would have cut all my hair for nothing. But to honest, I am seeing splits, I barely have the energy to take care of my hair. I have been having a rough time at my job and it is getting to me. (I got passed up for a promotion and I feel like I am a nobody.):cry3: So then I think, I am only wanting to cut because I am emotional. Then I think maybe I should just leave it alone. But I am not kidding. I probably haven't moisturized my ends in two months. I am just getting so frustrated. I am so sick of tired of buns and I don't know what I should do. Not only that, last year I didn't get any growth between about May and the end of August and the same thing is happening. I don't know, but I don't think my hair is growing all the time. So wierd. But this December will be my second year and I remember the same thing happening last year and Spring sent me a pm that was so encouraging. I know this is long. Sorry! What should I do? :feedback:

Last edited:

JJamiah

Wow! this thread has blown up. LOL. I haven't been on here in FOREVER! Anyway, Dee Raven, your hair is looking great and you are so HL.

For my hair update: grab some popcorn, this might be long. So, my hair is not doing so well. I feel like I don't know how to take care of it. :sad: I have been transitioning, this December will be two years, and my hair is getting so tangled and I am losing tons of hair just trying to detangle, not to mention freezing in the shower as the warm turns cold.:ohwell: So at this point, I don't know whether my natural journey should take precedence over my length journey. So then I think, what if I cut my hair to shoulder and don't like it, I would have cut all my hair for nothing. But to honest, I am seeing splits, I barely have the energy to take care of my hair. I have been having a rough time at my job and it is getting to me. (I got passed up for a promotion and I feel like I am a nobody.):cry3: So then I think, I am only wanting to cut because I am emotional. Then I think maybe I should just leave it alone. But I am not kidding. I probably haven't moisturized my ends in two months. I am just getting so frustrated. I am so sick of tired of buns and I don't know what I should do. Not only that, last year I didn't get any growth between about May and the end of August and the same thing is happening. I don't know, but I don't think my hair is growing all the time. So wierd. But this December will be my second year and I remember the same thing happening last year and Spring sent me a pm that was so encouraging. I know this is long. Sorry! What should I do? :feedback:

NikkiGirl first off

:bighug:

:grouphug:

I'd say don't do anything drastic. Sorry you got passed up for that promotion. It definitely happens to the best of us. If your hair is giving you issues at the moment. Try a New DC for the detangling part and find a protective style for a few weeks.

I have posted in my blog and on here within the past week about how my hair grows from September to April, yet from April to August I get basically nil, maybe 1/2 inch combined for all those months, not per month. LOL

I am going to try to intake more water during those times and pop some vitamins. It happens every year to me. :)

YOur human doll and right now it's just hormones probably that has you emotional, we are women and we are a bottle of emotions, that is what makes us so Sweet :)

God Bless and keep focused, go take a Nikki Day!

SCREAM, SHOUT, Break some mis matched dishes, clean them up, GO get a pedicure, manicure, facial and a body wrap. Go home and hug the family. :)

You'll be fine!

BostonMaria

Nikkigirl sorry you're going through all of that

I don't think you should make any decisions while you're so upset. Are you a long term transitioner? I transitioned for 10 months and thought I would go insane with the two textures. You will probably have to make a decision at some point - natural or keep transitioning. If you have gone this far then hey kudos to you! That would not be me cuz I am not patient!

The good thing about cutting your hair now is that you have 2 years of growth which probably can be SL or APL depending on how much you've retained. If its somewhere between those two lengths you can put it up in a ponytail or straighten it once in a while if you get bored with your natural hair.

NikkiGirl

@NikkiGirl first off

:bighug:

:grouphug:

I'd say don't do anything drastic. Sorry you got passed up for that promotion. It definitely happens to the best of us. If your hair is giving you issues at the moment. Try a New DC for the detangling part and find a protective style for a few weeks.

I have posted in my blog and on here within the past week about how my hair grows from September to April, yet from April to August I get basically nil, maybe 1/2 inch combined for all those months, not per month. LOL

I am going to try to intake more water during those times and pop some vitamins. It happens every year to me. :)

YOur human doll and right now it's just hormones probably that has you emotional, we are women and we are a bottle of emotions, that is what makes us so Sweet :)

God Bless and keep focused, go take a Nikki Day!

SCREAM, SHOUT, Break some mis matched dishes, clean them up, GO get a pedicure, manicure, facial and a body wrap. Go home and hug the family. :)

You'll be fine!

Thanks JJ! Yea, I am trying to put things in perspective. I sure do need a Nikki Day. :grin: LOL, I just read the breaking dishes part. You know sometimes you just need a way to get your emotions in control. LOL.:yep:

NikkiGirl

Nikkigirl sorry you're going through all of that

I don't think you should make any decisions while you're so upset. Are you a long term transitioner? I transitioned for 10 months and thought I would go insane with the two textures. You will probably have to make a decision at some point - natural or keep transitioning. If you have gone this far then hey kudos to you! That would not be me cuz I am not patient!

The good thing about cutting your hair now is that you have 2 years of growth which probably can be SL or APL depending on how much you've retained. If its somewhere between those two lengths you can put it up in a ponytail or straighten it once in a while if you get bored with your natural hair.

I am a long-term transitioner: I planned on three years. But I can now see I was entirely too optimistic in setting that goal.the weird thing is when I by, my hair gets more tangled from being kept up. I am gonna have to change up my products also. Who know, I have no clue. LOL.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
@Nikki I just happened to be in this thread. I'm transitioning and not in this challenge. If I was still relaxed, I would probably be in this challenge LOL. But anyway, I was almost MBL when I decided to transition in December 2009 (we probably have the same time line). I decided to cut my hair in August last year to APL because of manageability and so that I would not get frustrated when dealing with the 2 textures. And I have not regretted that decision because washing and detangling is so easy for me.

I was trimming a bit as I went along, so right now my hair is not quite APL and the natural part is about SL. And I plan to cut off the rest later this month.

I don't know what your plans are but as a fellow transitioner, I would advise you not to be too hung up on length and do a little trim bit by bit so detangling is not a big problem for you.

Whatever you decide to do, happy hair growing.

Lastly, I use Silk Elements moisturizing treatment and add honey, some oils and aloe vera liquid to give it an extra oomph

NikkiGirl

@Nikki I just happened to be in this thread. I'm transitioning and not in this challenge. If I was still relaxed, I would probably be in this challenge LOL. But anyway, I was almost MBL when I decided to transition in December 2009 (we probably have the same time line). I decided to cut my hair in August last year to APL because of manageability and so that I would not get frustrated when dealing with the 2 textures. And I have not regretted that decision because washing and detangling is so easy for me.

I was trimming a bit as I went along, so right now my hair is not quite APL and the natural part is about SL. And I plan to cut off the rest later this month.

I don't know what your plans are but as a fellow transitioner, I would advise you not to be too hung up on length and do a little trim bit by bit so detangling is not a big problem for you.

Whatever you decide to do, happy hair growing.

Lastly, I use Silk Elements moisturizing treatment and add honey, some oils and aloe vera liquid to give it an extra oomph

Yeah, I see how this would help, because basically I still have a lot of relaxed ends and they are so straggly and pathetic compared to my natural hair. You can't even tell when straightened, but the difference is huge when natural. Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it, and I used to use Silk Elements, I still use the leave in (white product), but the deep con (yellow product )did detangle well. I am going pick up some in the next few days. :grin:

MariposaSexyGirl

Just bought some grape-seed oil for it's high contents of ceramides. I have some mixed with a deep conditioner on my head now. Time for me to start using oils again.

^^I'm also planning on trying a new oil... camellia oil soon and getting some castor oil to keep the frizz on my baby hairs down without using gel or some such product, I hope castor oil is good for that. I used to use grapeseed back in 2005/2006 but I never knew it had ceramides. It has an astringent effect though which may make the hair shinier by closing the cuticle but I think I became afraid to use it on my hair lol... it's good for toning the scalp...

MariposaSexyGirl

^^I'm also planning on trying a new oil... camellia oil soon and getting some castor oil to keep the frizz on my baby hairs down without using gel or some such product, I hope castor oil is good for that. I used to use grapeseed back in 2005/2006 but I never knew it had ceramides. It has an astringent effect though which may make the hair shinier by closing the cuticle but I think I became afraid to use it on my hair lol... it's good for toning the scalp...

I've never tried castor oil. It's that thick? I need to get me some. I am under the dryer in a roller set. My hair was so so so so so easy to detangle lol. I didn't even have to put a leave in in my hair. My hair felt great! I can't wait to see it when it's completely done. I really like this grapeseed oil so far :lick:. Maybe you should try it mixed in with a deep conditioner or the regular conditioner. It seals the moisture from the product into the hair. I think I am in love :blush: :lol:.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
Yeah, I see how this would help, because basically I still have a lot of relaxed ends and they are so straggly and pathetic compared to my natural hair. You can't even tell when straightened, but the difference is huge when natural. Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it, and I used to use Silk Elements, I still use the leave in (white product), but the deep con (yellow product )did detangle well. I am going pick up some in the next few days. :grin:
I used to rip through my hair and lost a lot of hair that way but I figured that since the relaxed ends would be cut anyway, why not trim as I go to make my life easy.

Also look into incorporating ceramides in your regimen. I tell you wheat germ oil has saved my hair.:yep:

I've never tried castor oil. It's that thick? I need to get me some. I am under the dryer in a roller set. My hair was so so so so so easy to detangle lol. I didn't even have to put a leave in in my hair. My hair felt great! I can't wait to see it when it's completely done. I really like this grapeseed oil so far :lick:. Maybe you should try it mixed in with a deep conditioner or the regular conditioner. It seals the moisture from the product into the hair. I think I am in love :blush: :lol:.

Damnit! You've convinced me. Welp, that's one more thing to add to my order from Vitacost lol.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
So I tried my first braidout ever. Here's what I got. Ta daaaaaahhhhh! I used the satin technique, braiding in strips of satin for better definition but, I used big strips so some of my hair was hidden in the satin and I ended the braid prematurely. That resulted in straight ends on a few of the sections. Ah well. Now I know better and will do better next time.

But honestly, it's so hot in Atlanta that this braidout is going to turn into a fro in no time. :grin:

JJamiah

^^^ C _ U Teee NJ

My My MY Maybe I will try the Satin :) Go GAL! :D

And Yes It will be a fro in no time with this heat :)

So I tried my first braidout ever. Here's what I got. Ta daaaaaahhhhh! I used the satin technique, braiding in strips of satin for better definition but, I used big strips so some of my hair was hidden in the satin and I ended the braid prematurely. That resulted in straight ends on a few of the sections. Ah well. Now I know better and will do better next time.

But honestly, it's so hot in Atlanta that this braidout is going to turn into a fro in no time. :grin:

Gorgeous!! Why don't my braidouts look like that :(?

Caramela

I am now in week 12 of a 12 week stretch. I'm considering waiting maybe another 4 weeks (or longer) to maximize on growth. While I'm relaxed, I normally air dry. My hair is waist length, but with shrinkage it's mbl. I've never done a super long stretch with good results, but I think I can do it this time. Deep conditioning over night and c/o washes should help keep my ng manageable. I need to invest in a 1/2 wig if I do it though. Daily buns are not the businesses in terms of my appearance! Lol :lol: Another option I have is braid outs & bantu knot sets, but with so much ng they usually cause a lot of tangling which leads to hair loss :nono: I would love to make it through the entire summer without a relaxer and finally relax in September but idk... Guess we will see how it goes.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using SCH-I400

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I am now in week 12 of a 12 week stretch. I'm considering waiting maybe another 4 weeks (or longer) to maximize on growth. While I'm relaxed, I normally air dry. My hair is waist length, but with shrinkage it's mbl. I've never done a super long stretch with good results, but I think I can do it this time. Deep conditioning over night and c/o washes should help keep my ng manageable. I need to invest in a 1/2 wig if I do it though. Daily buns are not the businesses in terms of my appearance! Lol :lol: Another option I have is braid outs & bantu knot sets, but with so much ng they usually cause a lot of tangling which leads to hair loss :nono: I would love to make it through the entire summer without a relaxer and finally relax in September but idk... Guess we will see how it goes.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using SCH-I400

Caramela I'm finding vinegar rinses help with the ng tangles. Otherwise, I feel you on that.

wyldcurlz

Okay, so I put in a weave before I left for Europe, its been 2 months and now i'm kinda nervous about "my" hair underneath. Has anyone ever had weaves and it damaged their hair? (How do some of these girls wear weaves non-stop??) The original plan was to leave it in until 2 weeks before my "big event" (second weekend of July) but now I'm thinking take it out now and be gentle to my hair until then....

any thoughts or advice?

I've been oiling my ends with avocado oil every day since my trim. I really hope this makes a difference in keeping them stronger and from growing in sooooo thinly as they did before. I looked at a pic I took a couple of weeks before cutting and I just cannot believe how SKINNY my ends were lol :barf:. This is after years of not moisturizing my ends and flat ironing nearly every single week even going over the ends :nono: This pic is my inspiration to keep oiling because I NEVER want my hair to look this way again!
Picture 17.jpg

MariposaSexyGirl

I've been oiling my ends with avocado oil every day since my trim. I really hope this makes a difference in keeping them stronger and from growing in sooooo thinly as they did before. I looked at a pic I took a couple of weeks before cutting and I just cannot believe how SKINNY my ends were lol :barf:. This is after years of not moisturizing my ends and flat ironing nearly every single week even going over the ends :nono: This pic is my inspiration to keep oiling because I NEVER want my hair to look this way again!
View attachment 116953

Well it's good that you are trying to change that :yep:. Now about this avocado oil, how good is it?