Any advice on how to make a Silk or Satin Scarf for hair?

Mestiza

I bought some silk or satin remnant material (don't know which, and neither did the sales lady) to make a scarf to protect my hair at night, but, need some help. I've never owned a head scarf. LOL!

What should the measurements be?

Do I need to sew or stitch anything
?

Finally, how do I tie it on my head?

If anyone else has questions for others regarding this, please, feel free to add them to this thread.

Thanks in advance! I appreciate any advice!

DivineEndurance

25" x 25" I believe is standard scarf size (may be closer to 30" by 30")
Silk will tatter if the ends aren't finished, do you have access to a a seger? This is a special sewing machine that cuts and finishes hems in a snap. Only draw back is that they cost $$$. You'll have to do it by hand otherwise.

I make my scarf into a triangle by folding it once then I put it over my head and tie the loose corners together at the back. This is the "quick and dirty" tie method, meaning I'm not leaving the house. Other people may have a more "artistic" way of doing it - the way Jill Scot and Erika Badu wear theirs comes to mind.

Any how, hope this helps. :)

----EDIT------

P.S. I found this LINK for you.

Last edited:

Mestiza

I was wondering about the ends coming undone. I don't have a sewing machine b/c I don't know how to sew, but, want to learn someday. I don't really need to tie the scarf in a fancy style. I'll pretty much just be sleeping in it.

Thank you for your help and for that link! Those are some cute scarf hairstyles.

Mestiza

bajanplums1 said:
You can PM balletbun or checkout her album--she makes them.

I didn't see the scarves, but, I did see her pillowcases and tutu! All I can say is WOW!!!

Mizani_Mrs

girl just slice it in a triangle wide enough to cover your head. You will put it on your head so that it ties in the front. If/when the edges unravel, just go buy yourself another piece of material and repeat. :look:

Neroli

Mizani_Mrs said:
girl just slice it in a triangle wide enough to cover your head. You will put it on your head so that it ties in the front. If/when the edges unravel, just go buy yourself another piece of material and repeat. :look:

AMEN. Don't sweat it . . .

Chromia

My scarf is 34" x 34". I bought mine on tenderheaded.com, so I don't have any sewing advice.

When I tie it I lay the scarf over my head so that 2 corners of the scarf are at my shoulders, 1 corner is at the center of by back, and 1 corner is in the middle of my chest. I take the side corners and tie them in the back in a double knot. I leave the back corner hanging down. I pull the front corner up so that I can see, but I keep the scarf low on my forehead, just above my eyebrows. It doesn't come off when I'm sleeping. I don't know how helpful that is - too bad I don't have pictures.

Mestiza

Mizani_Mrs said:

I went ahead and bought a satin scarf, but, I've been thinking about doing what you suggested w/ the material that I have, too. Thanks!

Mestiza

elizabeth said:
My scarf is 34" x 34". I bought mine on tenderheaded.com, so I don't have any sewing advice.

When I tie it I lay the scarf over my head so that 2 corners of the scarf are at my shoulders, 1 corner is at the center of by back, and 1 corner is in the middle of my chest. I take the side corners and tie them in the back in a double knot. I leave the back corner hanging down. I pull the front corner up so that I can see, but I keep the scarf low on my forehead, just above my eyebrows. It doesn't come off when I'm sleeping. I don't know how helpful that is - too bad I don't have pictures.

Thank you so very much! It worked! ;-D

Last edited: