Ateeya Has Suffered a Major Setback! Tips of How to Avoid!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

She should get it cut into a nice bob type cut, shorter in the back then graduating to longer in the front. I know she must have been so sad but she has such a positive spirit...

dorko

that hurt me watching
i wanted to cry..
geez.. i get upset when i see too much hair and it doesn't even compare to how much she lost..

bluediamond0829

Wow i feel bad for her and she took it well because i wouldve been very mad and saying i will never get another weave done again for awhile.

I think sometimes we use weaves and braids and dont think about that we must still care for our own hair and that these are only for temporary.

I never kept a weave in too long(6 to 8 weeks), i was kind of sometimes lazy with caring for my own hair with having weaves and braids but i would at least dilute shampoo or conditioner and put in it during the time i was wearing weaves. Now talk to me prior to LHCF, i didnt know anythign about that and just would throw it on my head thats probably why i had so many setbacks also.

I never actually followed her regimen to a T. I did love how she used aphogee products and start on using those products but i did see things that I thought i know couldnt work for my head. But again it worked for her.

I think sometimes when we start doing all this extra stuff to our heads, not giving our heads a break and gettin back to back weaves(yea ive been there too)...then it is setting u up for somethign to happen and go downhill. I always try to keep in my mind if it isnt broke then why fix it.

Thanks OP for the thread just to remind me for me being someone that does get weaves at times and the new ppl of how to care for their hair.

I cant say i was big on detangling either, but maybe i was doing it and didnt even know it but i would just take a large tooth comb and comb gently the hair out and through the sections.

Again its just hair and she will come back out on top once she kicks back in a sound regimen and gives herself a break from weaves and braids.

sylver2

OMG!! My jaw literally dropped to the floor while watching her video. major major setback...i hope she doesn''t relax for awhile.. but knowing her she will.
This has to be traumatic for her. it was for me when my hair fell all out from overprocessing.
damn....u live, learn, move on, guide othrs and hopefully come out better.

Kacie

The longer this discussion goes on, the less sympathy I feel for her. When you delve into an area that you are not so familiar with, it would make sense to get your google on. She knows all too well about the hair boards :look:.

To the poster who feels that her 'bad hair care practices' are irrelevant, I say Yeeeesss they are. IMHO, the reluctant nature to change bad hair practices (but beautiful results) in heat styling, led to to overconfidence in other "hair" areas (weaves).

Urban

The longer this discussion goes on, the less sympathy I feel for her. When you delve into an area that you are not so familiar with, it would make sense to get your google on. She knows all too well about the hair boards :look:.

To the poster who feels that her 'bad hair care practices' are irrelevant, I say Yeeeesss they are. IMHO, the reluctant nature to change bad hair practices (but beautiful results) in heat styling, led to to overconfidence in other "hair" areas (weaves).

I think she did try to join either here or BHM. Can't remember. People crucified her both on the board and on YT :blush:. It was really sad ... so I can understand her reluctance. As I was watching the vid, I was just thinking ... I wish people hadn't been so mean to her then, she might have known better.

Kacie

I think she did try to join either here or BHM. Can't remember. People crucified her both on the board and on YT :blush:. It was really sad ... so I can understand her reluctance. As I was watching the vid, I was just thinking ... I wish people hadn't been so mean to her then, she might have known better.

Her screen name does not have to be Ateeya. You can also learn a ton by being a master lurker, don't ask how I know :grin:.

moonglowdiva

I feel really bad for her. But sometimes you have to go through the fire to get stronger. She knows better now and probably wont make the same mistake twice and guess what her hair will grow back. One size doesn't fit all and what she was doing was working for her up until this setback.

Ganjababy

One wrong move and you have a major setback..... she needs to join us and follow the excellent tips ediese gave

kblc06

Maybe I just need to take a break, but I'd like to issue this PSA first:

LHCF WAY IS NOT ALWAYS THE RIGHT WAY! STOP CRUCIFYING PEOPLE WHO DON'T BELIEVE IN 365-DAY BUNNING AND ABSTAINING FROM HEAT LIKE A NUN ABSTAINS FROM SEX!

I could almost understand some of the comments if her setback had actually been attributed to using heat and her common daily hair practices. But IT WAS NOT! It was due to a sew-in mishap that even affects people everyday on this very board . I'm sure everyone last person on this board breaks a law from the "LHCF hair bible" on a regular basis. Please let's not make this a bigger issue than it should be. Again I feel for Ateeya...I really do. She was doing what worked FOR HER HAIR and it appeared to be THRIVING (even though it violated the constitution and bylaws of "sound" LHCF logic). I know my hair personally can't take that much heat and I won't be doing so, but if it works for her-more power to her. I'm starting wonder if people were waiting for her supposed "downfall" just so they could say I told you so, when they do everything possible to get the same swang using more outrageous methods.

*drops mic* I'm out.

glamazon386

How do you take a full sew on weave off by yourself?

If it's done with a net, all you have to do it cut the thread on the perimeter of your head. Then the whole thing will come off in one piece with the tracks still attached to the net. There may be a few stitches here and there that got stitched to your braids in the middle that you'll have to cut. But for the most part the net and the tracks will all come off in one piece. If it wasn't done with the net, just start from the back and cut the thread out from there. The whole thing will start to unravel.

As far as the whole Ateeya thing goes, I never understood what all the hype was about. I wouldn't do a lot of the things she does to her hair to mine, but at the same token everything isn't going to work for everybody. If it seemed to be working for her, then good for her. But as far as the setback with the weave goes, I've seen plenty of people here who follow LHCF methods come on here crying posting the same thing. They wet their head before they detangled and the hair matted. They followed what we consider to be the right practices here and still turned around and did the same thing (which I don't understand because it's common sense to me and was even before coming to this board :look:) so why crucify her? It is a common mistake. It's not like she set her hair on fire and then wondered why she didn't have any left afterward. At least now she knows not to do it again.

Ediese - Great post! :up: I used to comb through dry hair when I was relaxed (sometimes I would add a little conditioner to dry hair to loosen tangles up) and then I washed. Now that I'm natural I've done the dc overnight and then wash and detangle in the AM but for some reason it seems like I get less tangles overall as a natural post weave. I must have just had a lot of split ends as a relaxed head or something. Or maybe my hair was just extra dry then vs. now. Now I just at least make sure I comb through it good. It doesn't really matter if I do it before or after washing. Sometimes I wait to do it when I get in the shower.

Last edited:

MAMATO

LHCF WAY IS NOT ALWAYS THE RIGHT WAY! STOP CRUCIFYING PEOPLE WHO DON'T BELIEVE IN 365-DAY BUNNING AND ABSTAINING FROM HEAT LIKE A NUN ABSTAINS FROM SEX!

I could almost understand some of the comments if her setback had actually been attributed to using heat and her common daily hair practices. But IT WAS NOT! It was due to a sew-in mishap that even affects people everyday on this very board . I'm sure everyone last person on this board breaks a law from the "LHCF hair bible" on a regular basis. Please let's not make this a bigger issue than it should be. Again I feel for Ateeya...I really do. She was doing what worked FOR HER HAIR and it appeared to be THRIVING (even though it violated the constitution and bylaws of "sound" LHCF logic). I know my hair personally can't take that much heat and I won't be doing so, but if it works for her-more power to her. I'm starting wonder if people were waiting for her supposed "downfall" just so they could say I told you so, when they do everything possible to get the same swang using more outrageous methods.

*drops mic* I'm out.

Thank you I blowdry almost every week and never had problem, it is all about techniques and hair type, people:yep: My hairline is doing so fine most people think I wear a lace front.

Her setback has nothing to do with her regimen since she could have gotten an on-point-regimen according to the LHCF standards and end up making the same wrong move by washing her tangled hair.

When I take out my sew-ins I dont wash dry hair either. I heavily spray my hair with SCurl and let it sit first. Then I take out the sew-in. Once my hair is loose, I fingercomb first and gradually comb my hair with different grades of comb (from showercomb, to paddle brush and then my Denman). By doing that I make sure all the shedding hair is gone and then I Cowash-Wash-Protein treatment-DC my hair:yep:. After that I either airdry or blowdry depending on how much time I have to do my hair. It is a long process but I barely lose her when I follow it...

I am very sorry for Ateya, she is a real SweetHeart. Setbacks can happen to everyone. If you dont agree with me please watch your back, because I am sorry that is OVERCONFIDENCE:yep: It just takes ONE BAD MOVE:wallbash:

gymfreak336

If it's done with a net, all you have to do it cut the thread on the perimeter of your head. Then the whole thing will come off in one piece with the tracks still attached to the net. There may be a few stitches here and there that got stitched to your braids in the middle that you'll have to cut. But for the most part the net and the tracks will all come off in one piece. If it wasn't done with the net, just start from the back and cut the thread out from there. The whole thing will start to unravel.

As far as the whole Ateeya thing goes, I never understood what all the hype was about. I wouldn't do a lot of the things she does to her hair to mine, but at the same token everything isn't going to work for everybody. If it seemed to be working for her, then good for her. But as far as the setback with the weave goes, I've seen plenty of people here who follow LHCF methods come on here crying posting the same thing. They wet their head before they detangled and the hair matted. They followed what we consider to be the right practices here and still turned around and did the same thing (which I don't understand because it's common sense to me and was even before coming to this board :look:) so why crucify her? It is a common mistake. It's not like she set her hair on fire and then wondered why she didn't have any left afterward. At least now she knows not to do it again.

Ediese - Great post! :up:

Yep. How many threads here are about having problems with something that was supposed to be LHCF certified :look: Or how many times have we gotten into a pickle about something that we probably should have search, read, and actually comprehended before we took the leap. That makes up nearly a third of the threads here.

glamazon386

Yep. How many threads here are about having problems with something that was supposed to be LHCF certified :look: Or how many times have we gotten into a pickle about something that we probably should have search, read, and actually comprehended before we took the leap. That makes up nearly a third of the threads here.

It's funny how people forget these things. :look: And then the weave bashing begins. With any style or practice, if you don't take care of your hair or follow the right method you will run the risk of damage. Even LHCF approved methods. And if people want to talk about people teaching bad hair practices there are a lot of methods on this board that I don't agree with and would never do to my hair so I don't really see a difference. How many bandwagons have we seen come and go around these parts? If they really worked that great why did they drop off or people stop using them? Everything is not for everybody.

And to the ladies talking about detangling dry vs. wet/post washing - I've done it both ways and I would have to agree that your best bet is to detangle dry hair first. You can always detangle more once you get in the shower if you need to but I would start off with dry hair. And I wouldn't wait until I was done taking all the braids out either. I'd take one out, detangle that section, and then move onto the next one until I was done. You can add some conditioner to DRY hair to help with detangling and getting through knots. But even with that you have to be careful because sometimes if the hair gets too wet it gets mushy like (especially if you have fine hair) and that's when the breakage comes in with detangling.

Last edited:

gymfreak336

It's funny how people forget these things. :look: And then the weave bashing begins. With any style or practice, if you don't take care of your hair or follow the right method you will run the risk of damage. Even LHCF approved methods. And if people want to talk about people teaching bad hair practices there are a lot of methods on this board that I don't agree with and would never do to my hair so I don't really see a difference. How many bandwagons have we seen come and go around these parts? If they really worked that great why did they drop off or people stop using them? Everything is not for everybody.

There are also a lot of ladies that have super long hair and do things that aren't typical practices of this board. In the end, I really think it comes down to consistency in whatever you are doing for the most part.

glamazon386

There are also a lot of ladies that have super long hair and do things that aren't typical practices of this board. In the end, I really think it comes down to consistency in whatever you are doing for the most part.

You're right. And a lot of the ladies here with super long hair have simple regimens that don't include all this bandwagon stuff either. It's usually just low manipulation, protective styling and using a few good products.

MAMATO

You're right. And a lot of the ladies here with super long hair have simple regimens that don't include all this bandwagon stuff either. It's usually just low manipulation, protective styling and using a few good products.

I totally agree :yep:

LovinLea

i saw that she had a setback and i just know how good of a person is because while she is so distressed about her hair, she says "well, i'm glad at least that this happened so that y'all know not to make the same mistake".

Iluvsmuhgrass

I had the same setback a few years ago. The mats were no joke. I lost sooo much hair. I had taken out a weave, detangled it (it was BEAUTIFUL and thicker, longer and just over all WOW), and decided to sleep in conditioner. The sleeping in conditioner with a cap was a HUGE mistake. My fine 4a/b strands matted up QUICK and I had to go from APL to chin length. It happens. There are so many different variables that could cause set backs.

I'm starting to see why some other people get bad impressions of LHCF. They just see what seems to be self-righteousness and to heck with the positive aspects of the board or what it COULD be.

I love Ateeya because she is a beautiful soul. My heart aches for her because I know EXACTLY what this is like.

Anew

Okay ladies...please remember that this is not a bashing Ateeya thread. This is just to show you what not to do when wearing weaves, so you don't suffer the same misfortune.

Thanks for responding!! Please remember to properly detangle FIRST!! Do not rush to add products, and wash your hair when you take your weave down. Your hair WILL MATT!! You must first DETANGLE. Make sure you get out ALL the shed hair that accumulated for the period that you wore the sew-in. It will be okay to wash after you do that.
This was my problem, although I don't wear sew in weaves, I keep my hair in cornrows under my 3/4 wigs and I didn't detangle first.

GulfCoastChica

*drops mic* I'm out.

:amen: ...loves the *drops mic*...I got like a packed Jay Z concert visual type thing from that. lol

gorgeoushair

How do you figure she was uinfamiliar w/ weaves. She has been wearing sew ins waaayyy before you tube.

gorgeoushair

IMO Ateya had a simple regimen too but w/ heat.

AtlantaJJ

*drops mic* I'm out.

Excellent post. :thankyou:

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I can't bear to watch the video but I know her hair will grow in even better than before. :) She is so kind to share this with others, so that they do not make the same mistake.

supermodelsonya

*drops mic* I'm out.

One of the best posts in the thread!:yep::yep:

TaurusAngel

No one deserves to suffer something like this. Poor Ateya. It has happened to us all. I don't really get what her hair practices have to do with this thread, but okay. When she did her Nu gro vid a while back, she turned around and her hair was pushing APL and she was NL this time last year, so yes, her hair has grown and is very noticable. I'm sure she'll still have her SWANG, no matter the length. It'll just be shorter but hair grows. That is something it never stops doing. Keep your head up Ateya. :)

ETA: This is part of the reason I keep my setbacks to myself. I suffer in silence and just look up what i need to know. People are a trip.

Last edited:

Geminigirl

Hey I feel bad for the girl I do. I wouldn't wish that on no one. Her hair is super thick. But all I'm saying though is her hair didn't look healthy when she took the sew in out. Even when she took the braids down. It looked weak and dry and broken off. Especially her nape. I know she is going to recover from this there is no doubt but I was just stating my observation. I think a combo or taking her own sew in down and weak damaged hair attributed to her hair loss.

I know I stopped taking of my hair a LONG time ago LOL. So I am not trying to say my methods are better then her or anything like that all I am saying is her hair looka real bad before the wash. Also I was not sitting around WAITING on this to happen. I don't even come on this board anymore. I don't follow ateeya and could care less what she does to her hair on a day to day basis. But I saw it in the headline and clicked on it. I knew something like this would happen not my fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.