Ateeya Has Suffered a Major Setback! Tips of How to Avoid!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

*closer*2*my*dreams*

I think waiting 2-4 weeks after a sew-in to relax is key to getting your hair back on track... I don't know about many of you, but the majority of women I see with sew-ins or braids have very fragile strands after taking them down...some even experience breakage. I believe that the hair should be nursed back before applying any chemical service. But that's my opinion...

I will also say that when I had my last sew-in (April 2008) i used amla oil after taking down the hair & detangling... This worked for me because:

1. I only had the sew-in in for 3 weeks;
2. My hair was not tangled/matted underneath;
3. I co-washed & DC'ed often;

I think this helped my hair become softer & more manageable underneath. So when I went to remove the thread & tracks, it was not a long painstaking ordeal. if I recall correctly, I didn't even have a lot of shed hairs... After I removed the braids, i slathered amla oil all over and placed a shower cap on my head and went to bed. When I woke up the next morning, I brushed my oily hair into a ponytail & walked around for about 8 hours until i finally washed & DC'ed... and i had no tangles/matting/shed hairs etc.

Ok, i don't even know why i said all that...

oh wait now i do... the key is detangling, but it's also the products you use to detangle and afterwards...

Geminigirl

her hair looked terrible when she took the sew in out. It was all broken off in the back. then to see it all together i was like WOW that's thick hair. then when she was pulling on certain parts of her hair you could see broken off pieces and damaged hair. I always like her swang but I knew this would happen.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I saw this vid on the other hair site this morning. I feel really sad for her that she had to go through that. I am SOOO glad that I love the hair boards and already know the importance of detangling after a sew in ( Thanks Ediese for your weaves 101 information- I actually saved this last month from your fotki when I made the decision to transition in sew ins :wave:). I like to watch her vids every now amd then, but I do not practice what "works for her" because I am well informed on healthy hair practices, and know that they will not work for me. I feel saddened for anyone who loves their hair and they endure a setback, but thank goodness we all know that recovery is not hard, it just takes patience.

yuriko

This is a very helpful thread, it may seem like common sense but I have been victim to this as well. I took out my cornrows, and was in a big hurry so I jumped in the shower just like that. I lost so much hair that day. The key is to detangle in sections and with patience.

Stiletto_Diva

I know most of the people on this board agree that the hair should be detangled before any type of water is used, but I completely disagree for my hair. Being natural, I never ever try to do any type of combing or styling on dry hair. detangling dry hair equals major breakage for me.

When I take my full sew-in out I take all of the tracks out and then rinse my hair, while still in the braids. I then apply my deep conditioner and keep it on for at least an hour. I then take the braids down one at a time and detangle that section. I have had no matting or setbacks and the only thing that comes out is shed hair.

AceH

Awww Ateya! She's such a sweet person - she really is! I've spoken to her a couple of times, and she's a real sweetheart. I'm sad that this has happened to her - I know it has happened to the best of us, myself included :yep: When you know better, you do better. She'll be alright!

yuriko

I know most of the people on this board agree that the hair should be detangled before any type of water is used, but I completely disagree for my hair. Being natural, I never ever try to do any type of combing or styling on dry hair. detangling dry hair equals major breakage for me.

When I take my full sew-in out I take all of the tracks out and then rinse my hair, while still in the braids. I then apply my deep conditioner and keep it on for at least an hour. I then take the braids down one at a time and detangle that section. I have had no matting or setbacks and the only thing that comes out is shed hair.

There is no Holy grail when it comes to hair care. Even when i was natural, I still had to detangle my hair while it was dry. I just had to add conditioner and oil to it. But everyone's hair is different. Its nice to hear a different opinion, someone here probably has hair similar to yours

PinkSkates

To the newbies who plan on wearing weaves, be careful whose advice you follow and whose hair care practices you mimic.
Here is a good piece of advice. Pay close attention to the person's hairline. When they are showing pics, always ask them to please post up-close pictures of their hairline.
That is a true indicator of how well their weave hair care practices are truly working. And always do your own research.

loved

Awwww, that's sad. But it was thoughtful of her to show the bad along with the good. Setbacks can be a rough part of the haircare journey.

I love Ateeya's videos and her hair. Her hair isn't LHCF long, but it's usually beautiful with a lot of body. Whatever she was doing seemed to work for her.

I can't wait to see her new cut. If she had not cut the piece out, her hair may not have been as bad as she thought it was once it was straightened.

Ladyhenri

I was shocked to see how much hair she had to cut off, but I cant honestly say that i am very sorry for her.

Indifferent would be a more accurate word.

And i feel that many of her fans are more upset about what has happened than she actually is.

Honi

There is no board.
This is awful! :nono: I've seen worse! I took out a matted section of a friends hair that was literally the size of a hockey puck. I was so proud that I was able to save her waistlength hair. I could have gotten that out for her. All it takes is time and loads of patience.

I hope she has learned a valuable lesson.

MA2010

I really feell for her. That was a lot of matted hair.

With good TLC , it should grow back. Thanks Ediese for this! Great info girl :)

Nice & Wavy

But by the grace of God, there go I! It could happen to anyone of us with any number of things (a conditioner with ingredients that our hair doesn't agree with, etc.)

I don't really know about her, but I feel for her, deeply. We know how we feel about OUR hair, so I can just imagine. :nono:

I pray that her hair will grow back in abundance and whatever she lost, she will gain back 100 fold!

ajacks

wow, that was devastating. This is not the first time she has had a sew-in so I wonder how she usually handles the take downs. I didn't personally follow her regimen, but her hair always looked so healthy so it seems as though it was working. I'm sure her hair will bounce back quickly.

Junebug D

WOW! That's horrible! :nono: I'm sad that happened. I think she reacted too quickly though!! If people can take down locs, I think she could've taken some time and picked that out! That was an obscene amount of hair she lost. :nono:

Detangling is indeed key. I remember when I took down my micros, I didn't even know what I was doing, I just knew I wanted to get any tangles out before I did anything else to it.

henna555

very sad for her,i know when i braid my hair the longest i keep them in no more than 4weeks max otherwise its very hard work detangling all those knots in your hair,ALWAYS detangle the hair when dry before washing that is a must.

caribgirl

I feel like that it was my hair that got damaged- I am so very sorry :sad:!!

I think that Ateeya is a wonderful soul to have placed the video for public view. I hope that her hair recovers quickly and I am sure that she will be even more determined to show us all that it has too.

Many blessings to her :yep:!

iaec06

I don't post often but Jesus take the wheel .. this happened to me b4 when I was a natrual years ago .. oh Ediese I stalk your blog about weave care all the time . you are well versed in that area . keep up the good work.

also a funny thing happened to me over the weekend after I got my install I kept saying " I love it , I love it " then my hubby was like why are you saying it like that, and that is when I realized I got it from ateya ..this made me smile because eventhough I don't follow her haircare regi.. I think she is a ray of sunshine.

Last edited:

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
I'm going to wait to watch the vid to give my full opinion.....but I hate to say that I saw this coming. She was doing way too much with the weave but nothing to take care of the hair underneath :nono:

I do hope that she bounces back though :yep:

PatTodd

This is awful! :nono: I've seen worse! I took out a matted section of a friends hair that was literally the size of a hockey puck. I was so proud that I was able to save her waistlength hair. I could have gotten that out for her. All it takes is time and loads of patience.

I hope she has learned a valuable lesson.

I feel bad for her and know how she feels. My hair once matted and dreaded in places (not from a weave, from using protein with heat without detangling) and I ended up slapping body butter made with shea butter into it overnight, then lightly washing it with shampoo about 24 hours later and I was FINALLY able to straighten out the mats, one hair at a time. I think if Ateyaa had been patient she or someone else could have worked through that matted section.

I sure learned my lesson! :blush:

sqzbly1908

Considering she went through all of that and thought enough about her viewers to share this. I for one would be in the bed - depressed and not wanting to talk or deal with anyone. The beauty of it is that she sounds like she has a very capable stylist and she definitely knows what she needs to do get her "swang" back....

locabouthair

Did Ateeya say she was going to relax her hair only a few days later? I'm not sure when she did the vid, but that doesn't sound very wise after such a trauma surely...

I relaxed my hair the day after I took out my braids. I got sooo much breakage after that. My hair has never been the same since. I had to cut it all off.

My stylist didnt even tell me that I had to wait to relax.

I finally saw the video. I do feel bad for her but I've seen much worse damage. She lost a lot of hair but I'm sure her hair will bounce back.

I give her props for being honest and showing everyone what happened. At least she kept it real.

Last edited:

Qualitee

I dont understand why people keep on saying her hair practices are bad :blah:. thats what works for her. Dang get over it.

WorkInProgress88

.i hate to say it but sometimes we have to learn the hard way:ohwell:
.i went through something like this a couple of months ago and it help me step up my hair care regimen

DeepBluSea

Yup :yep:! I used to always end up with knots of matted hair after taking out my braids because I didn't detangle properly. This one time, one whole sided of my hair turned into a matted mess! I was tired :rolleyes: so I did an Ateeya and pulled my hair back in a pony tail and washed it the next morning. LESSON LEARNED!

I came up with this procedure http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=1497342&postcount=1 after that horrific experience and haven't had any problems since!

I love that thread you started! I keep it bookmarked and reference it every time I get braid extensions.

I really feel bad for Ateya. That was me the first time I took out braids. And someone makes a similar thread of a horrible weave or braid take-down every few months. Unfortunately this info is not common knowledge.

Mook's hair

To the newbies who plan on wearing weaves, be careful whose advice you follow and whose hair care practices you mimic.
Here is a good piece of advice. Pay close attention to the person's hairline. When they are showing pics, always ask them to please post up-close pictures of their hairline.
That is a true indicator of how well their weave hair care practices are truly working. And always do your own research.

I think this is very good advice. Hairlines can tell you a lot about what's going on with someone's hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.