Are You New to Weaves? Here Are Some Definite DON'TS!!

Ediese

:look: I know, right? I've never had one, and if I could find some good kinky curly hair......

*sigh* The sad thing is, I would have it in a ponytail all the time, or..... oooh, I guess I could use my combs and barrettes to keep the hair off of my face.....

Go head get it girl!!

You might want to try these out.

If you're looking for straight hair that has a bit of texture, you might want to try out Extensions plus relaxed texture.

If you're looking for kinky curly hair that stays kinky curly, try these out.

Boheyme Brazilian Curl

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=251397&highlight=weave

The weaves in this thread can be bought here. http://naturalresourcessalon.com/wildflower.html

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=246841&highlight=weave

Hope that helps.

JustKiya

Go head get it girl!!

You might want to try these out.

If you're looking for straight hair that has a bit of texture, you might want to try out Extensions plus relaxed texture.

If you're looking for kinky curly hair that stays kinky curly, try these out.

Boheyme Brazilian Curl

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=251397&highlight=weave

The weaves in this thread can be bought here. http://naturalresourcessalon.com/wildflower.html

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=246841&highlight=weave

Hope that helps.

Oooh, thank you, you enabler, you. :lol:

MsGoody531

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!

I have a question ladies.

I took my full sew-in out on Wednesday last week. I combed out the shed hairs and braided my hair up. Everything turned out great and I found out that my hair is passed my shoulder stretched. So, I got excited and purchased a blow dryer and tried to blow dry a section in the back and WOW it was so thick and long. I havent had hair this long since middle school. However, that process took me 20 minutes just for a little section of the very back and then in 5 minutes the hair puffed back up :wallbash:. I was almost in tears because my hands wear hurting because my hair seems like it was holding the blow dryer heat hostage :lachen:. I thought OMG if it takes me 20 minutes for a little section of the back to do a length check, what am I going to do with the rest of my hair. So, are there any suggestions for what I can do when I take my hair down again so that it stays straight for longer than 5 minutes? I will admit that I am new to doing anything with my hair at all. I was very dependent on my stylist for everything. I never even combed my own hair because I would sleep like Regina King in that Friday movie. My hair would look fresh when I would go back to the salon to get my hair done again.

I did discover that I must be a 4 something because the coils are so tight and when my hair dries it is so short looking, but when I braided it with conditioner it was long.

Any help would be appreciated.

I

socurlyqt

what type of mixture do you use to moisturize your hair underneath your scalp? i know some ladies use glycerin and water is that enough? how much of each?

Shananyganz

Bump!!

What is a weft:perplexed:ohwell::look:
I'm a total weave rookie,but i want to get this right.

A weft is the actual track the weaved (human or synthetic) hair is on. A weft can be made by machine or by hand. Some say that handmade wefts are better, since they are custom made to suit your head; but I think finding a good quality brand is really the key. HTH.

JerriBlank

A weft is the actual track the weaved (human or synthetic) hair is on. A weft can be made by machine or by hand. Some say that handmade wefts are better, since they are custom made to suit your head; but I think finding a good quality brand is really the key. HTH.

I feel stupid:yep:
Thanks for replying!!!
How many packs of hair are you ladies using?

Shananyganz

I feel stupid:yep:
Thanks for replying!!!
How many packs of hair are you ladies using?

You shouldn't!! :nono: We all here to learn. :yep:

Anyway, my stylist uses uhm...about one and a half packs (I use Remi Velvet in 14") for my installs. I really think the number of packs used are dependent on the fullness/volume/look/texture you personally desire. I attached a picture of an install I had last year. Its not the best, but it gives you somewhat of an idea of what 1.5 packs of hair looks like. My stylist layered and thinned out the style somewhat. HTH.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 176

glamchick84

great thread! i just got a full sew-in this saturday. i wish i would have read this before my installment. she braided my edges up and my head is itching lol

JerriBlank

You shouldn't!! :nono: We all here to learn. :yep:

Anyway, my stylist uses uhm...about one and a half packs (I use Remi Velvet in 14") for my installs. I really think the number of packs used are dependent on the fullness/volume/look/texture you personally desire. I attached a picture of an install I had last year. Its not the best, but it gives you somewhat of an idea of what 1.5 packs of hair looks like. My stylist layered and thinned out the style somewhat. HTH.

Thank youuu!!!
I did it:yep:!!
My little sis hooked it up for me and it came out way better than i expected.
The only thing is that she braided some of my cornrows somewhat thinner than what i was expecting.
I have been trying to moisturize like crazy!!LOL!I do not want my hair to get dry up underneath there.
How often are you guys dc'ing?

angenoir

I know most of you ladies use a spritz mix to keep the braided hair under the weave moisturized. I do this too. However, I have one of those scalps that gets really dry and I am on the quest for a good non-greasy product that can keep both my hair and scalp moisturized and NOT weigh down the weave hair… HELP!!!

JerriBlank

How are you guys dc'ing under the weaves???!!
This is a biggie for me because if i go too long without dc's my hair gets super dry:nono:.

Shananyganz

Thank youuu!!!
I did it:yep:!!
My little sis hooked it up for me and it came out way better than i expected.
The only thing is that she braided some of my cornrows somewhat thinner than what i was expecting.
I have been trying to moisturize like crazy!!LOL!I do not want my hair to get dry up underneath there.
How often are you guys dc'ing?

Well, for me, the last weave I had; although very much of my own hair wasn't out, it was only a partial. I only DC'ed (washed, conditioned, allat) every other week. I never really had problems with dry or itchy scalp...my hair simply takes to weaves. I might have to edit this post in the future now that I am no longer relaxed, but for the most part I was okay with the every other week thing.

msa

I know most of you ladies use a spritz mix to keep the braided hair under the weave moisturized. I do this too. However, I have one of those scalps that gets really dry and I am on the quest for a good non-greasy product that can keep both my hair and scalp moisturized and NOT weigh down the weave hair… HELP!!!

For my spritz I use Oyin Juices and Berries. And then follow that with Oyin Whipped Pudding for my hair and scalp. It isn't greasy, absorbed quickly, and worked well for me.

Jane Carter Nourish & Shine works well for me also, but it can be greasy (it has no water like the Oyin whipped pudding).

See this is why I am so happy that I finally subscribed!

To be able to say THANK YOU for posting this wonderful thread.

I want my first weave ever for the new year and this helps me so very much!

Your knowledge is truly appreciated!

mEmYSELFaNDj

You should try Eqyss Avocado Mist, Thats the same company thats makes MegaTek. I use this and I love it my hair stays moist and its not greasy at all. Here's the link to the Eqyss website with the Product description:
http://eqyss-online.stores.yahoo.net/32ounavmisco.html

LadyPaniolo

See, I don't understand how someone could do a full head with only 1.5 packs and cover everything. I'm a self installer and my weaves always take every scrap of 2 packs and the last one took 2.5 packs. :ohwell: I wonder why that is, what am i doing wrong???