Are You New to Weaves? Here Are Some Definite DON'TS!!

ackee walk

See, I don't understand how someone could do a full head with only 1.5 packs and cover everything. I'm a self installer and my weaves always take every scrap of 2 packs and the last one took 2.5 packs. :ohwell: I wonder why that is, what am i doing wrong???

you're probably not doing anything wrong. it may just depend on the hair. some brands of hair are more dense than others-- EP relaxed textured hair, for example, is very dense and requires less hair than most other brands

CurliDiva

I've been seeing a new “tacky” trend of women not even trying to “cover up” the tracks!:nono: At least, try to make us guess if it grow out of your scalp......

MaintaintheSexy

Ediese, what about your real hair? How is it coming along? What are your goals? I've worn weaves for 5 years and my hair has not benefited from it at all. From my experience it is detrimental to wear a weave when your hair is relaxed. It will get thin. This happened to me more than once. Its best to wear a sew in when your hair is natural, in my opinion. Last year I stopped neglecting my hair underneath the weave and would apply castor oil to my scalp. This helped my hair to grow tremendously. But the problem I would face is, after applying products to my scalp, the weave hair would get shiny and greasy and I would have to wash it and it wouldn't look the same. Did you ever have this problem?

I just BC'd my hair last night after I realized that my hair was very uneven and slightly damaged. I plan on wearing protective styles, weaves being one of them, until my hair gets to shoulder length. Weaves can be a gift or a curse. Its just so important to me that I take care of my hair underneath the weave considering everything that I have been through. Thanks for your post though, it was very informative, but there were just some other issues I have concerns about and maybe you can shine some light on them.

Vintageglam

I know most of you ladies use a spritz mix to keep the braided hair under the weave moisturized. I do this too. However, I have one of those scalps that gets really dry and I am on the quest for a good non-greasy product that can keep both my hair and scalp moisturized and NOT weigh down the weave hair… HELP!!!

the phytospecific spray is very good for this and is not greasy....

Ediese

Ediese, what about your real hair? How is it coming along? What are your goals? I've worn weaves for 5 years and my hair has not benefited from it at all. From my experience it is detrimental to wear a weave when your hair is relaxed. It will get thin. This happened to me more than once. Its best to wear a sew in when your hair is natural, in my opinion. Last year I stopped neglecting my hair underneath the weave and would apply castor oil to my scalp. This helped my hair to grow tremendously. But the problem I would face is, after applying products to my scalp, the weave hair would get shiny and greasy and I would have to wash it and it wouldn't look the same. Did you ever have this problem?

I just BC'd my hair last night after I realized that my hair was very uneven and slightly damaged. I plan on wearing protective styles, weaves being one of them, until my hair gets to shoulder length. Weaves can be a gift or a curse. Its just so important to me that I take care of my hair underneath the weave considering everything that I have been through. Thanks for your post though, it was very informative, but there were just some other issues I have concerns about and maybe you can shine some light on them.

Hi! I forgot all about this thread. My hair is in good shape. I actually made BSL in December 08 while I was transitioning. I decided to chop in April 09 to get rid of my relaxed ends. I made BSL once again last month, Dec. 09. I'm hoping that I'll be WL by June this year. The number one thing that helped me retain length and having heatlhy hair was wearing weaves, and always making sure to take care of my hair while it's weaved up. :yep: You could check the links in my siggy for more pics.

Coil Tresses

Its late, I will come back tomorrow and read this thread. I had to subscribe before I turned in.

Thanks for this link luckiestdestiny.

panamoni

Thanks so much for this thread!! I'm getting my first weave today and I'm super scared.

Does everyone use a net? What are the pros/cons? What's the purpose? Can you still wash/condition/moisturize properly?

ETA: And, what's your favorite daily moisturizer to use on the braids (and do you have a net)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Nixx22jam

BUMPITY BUMP!!!!

How do I deep condition under the weave? I see you said use an applicator bottle but if i dilute DPR will it still work? Would i be able to sit under the hooded dryer? I just want it to sit without running down my back too much. How about i dilute it a lil bit and use the applicator bottle to wash it out under the tracks will that work? Please help im gonnawash my hair in a lil bit.

JerriBlank

Okay,I'm about to attempt to do this thang again. The last one only lasted two weeks then I bc'ed:lachen:

Soooooo,how exactly are you guys incorporating creams and sprays in your weave regimen?

Do the creams not cause build-up?

Do you try to separate the tracks from the braid when you use a spray,or do you just spray over the track and hope it gets on the braid?

gn1g

The last time I had a sew-in the shedding was over the top, this time I would like to prevent the excessive shedding. Please critique my plan:

I will loosely plait the hair into a couple of tails.

I will use an applicator bottle to apply

diluted shampoo to scalp, rinse out

diluted con to my hair and scalp, rinse out

apply strong black tea to scalp without rinsing.

has anyone found that the black tea prevent shedding while wearing a weave

MzV1991

Ummm I need help washing my hair when in a weave. Everytime I follow the tips given on LHCF on how to wash your hair when in weaves when its time to take down my install my new growth is sooooo badly tangled :-(

alabamadutchess

glycerine? i must admit i just discovered this site about 2 weeks ago and im learning things i never knew! but where do u get this glycerine (brand and place to buy)

bride91501

glycerine? i must admit i just discovered this site about 2 weeks ago and im learning things i never knew! but where do u get this glycerine (brand and place to buy)

I buy my glycerin at local BSSs....even those that I NEVER would think would carry anything close to a "natural" product. It's normally kept with the natural butters and oils (shea butter, etc.). Whole Foods also carries glycerin.

Ummm I need help washing my hair when in a weave. Everytime I follow the tips given on LHCF on how to wash your hair when in weaves when its time to take down my install my new growth is sooooo badly tangled :-(

I'm no LHCF expert yet, although I did follow Ediese's advice to a "T" and retained 1.5" of growth in the 6 weeks I had the install in (can you tell I'm still basking in my first LHCF accomplishment? LOL), but I would suggest to you that some heads are just more prone to tangling than others. My hair used to be prone to big time tangles until I learned that proper moisture is key to tackling that monkey.

When I took down my last install, I did a 24 hour oil rinse/pre-poo (under a baggie) immediately after taking down the install. Nothing fancy....just mixed whatever oils I found (castor, EVOO, coconut oil, I think) with a little creme of nature conditioner (orange top bottle). After 24 hours I rinsed that out a bit under running water in the shower, and then I shampooed, conditioned (and detangled with a wide tooth comb while condish was in), then treated myself to a strong protein treatment followed by a DC treatment.

I could not believe HOW LITTLE hair I'd lost....it literally was just about the same amount I used to lose in 2-3 days. And I had that install in for 6 weeks! And virtually no detangles. The pre-poo just melted them away.

I hope this is helpful. Happy growing guys!

blksndrlla

I appreciate this thread so much. I just took down my install last night...after about 9.5 weeks. I had a lot of shed hair. I know I didn't nurture my hair the way I should have. Nevertheless, I will be re-installing in October...(break)...then January....(break)...then March...you get the point. I am a slow grower, so retention is the name of the game...i don't have inches to give away :)

Oh, I did BoBraz (Bohyme Brazilian Wave) on my last install. I am debating on this or HCCC for my next install. The shedding and detangling was a bit much for me with the BoBraz, but it was so darn pretty!

Mik

To all my sew in experts out there, I'm transitioning to natural using sew ins, and I need help. I'm kind of new to the sew in thing, and I accidentally biught a color that looked ok in the box, but is actually a little too light for me. It's human hair, can I put a darker semi-permanent color rinse on it without ruining it? Will the color take? Any help you ladies could offer would be great

SignatureBeauty

GREAT THREAD! I am getting my first sew in and these tips are great, I did a protein treatment yesterday, I have my hair soaking in the vinegar solution now to prevent itchies and I have my applicator bottle for cleaning scalp, so far I am ready!

blksndrlla

Bumping!! Can someone please recommend how to wash your real hair when you have a full head sew-in?

You use an applicator bottle. Dilute your shampoo and then squirt the mixture in between your tracks. Rub gently and rinse thoroughly... Same thing with conditioner.

Fine 4s

I think I'm going for this at some point in November before Thanksgiving and will remove in January 2011 before my bday. If it all goes well, I might redo throughout the winter time and rest during the summer. All I know is that by December 2011 I better be at FULL UNQUESTIONABLE WL and entering the HL area....

ResieCupp

Hey ya'll ! Soo I just finished taking my sew-in out &im sitting under my Huetiful as I type . I wanted to warn you guys on a major issue I found with my hair! When I had my weave installed my edges were braided as well but the braid was entirely too small! So I guess the hair right there on my scalp was too thin to handle the pressure from the thread and the track. The braid is only hanging on to my scalp, still, by a couple strands of hair :'( ....Setback on my edges but I will be okay .

NeicyNee

Thank you ladies sooo much for this thread. I just got my first sew-in a couple of weeks ago. Sadly, I came to this site a little too late because the lady that installed my hair braided my hair wayyy too tight :( Do any of you ladies have any advice on how to nurse my edges while still wearing the weave? The damage is already done but I'd like to salvage any hair I have left.

13StepsAhead

^^ I would suggest just taking the weave out. I know you’re going to feel like you wasted your money, but your scalp will thank you for it (damaging your scalp is worse than damage to your hair). I recently had a full-sew in done (about 1.5 weeks ago) with the net covering my braids. Everything was going smoothly until a few days ago when it felt like the net was moving and all of a sudden I felt tension on my scalp (the net was moving causing the weave to hang differently). I tried everything oil, water, etc but to no avail. I finally said F it, but when I took the sew-in out, I had red sores all around my hairline and my edges and my nape are completely thinned out. I’m not trying to scare you or anything, but had I known about that damn net I would have never let her put that ish on and I surely would have taken the weave out A LOT sooner. You live and you learn, now back to babying my edges.

NeicyNee

^^ I would suggest just taking the weave out. I know you’re going to feel like you wasted your money, but your scalp will thank you for it (damaging your scalp is worse than damage to your hair). I recently had a full-sew in done (about 1.5 weeks ago) with the net covering my braids. Everything was going smoothly until a few days ago when it felt like the net was moving and all of a sudden I felt tension on my scalp (the net was moving causing the weave to hang differently). I tried everything oil, water, etc but to no avail. I finally said F it, but when I took the sew-in out, I had red sores all around my hairline and my edges and my nape are completely thinned out. I’m not trying to scare you or anything, but had I known about that damn net I would have never let her put that ish on and I surely would have taken the weave out A LOT sooner. You live and you learn, now back to babying my edges.

I couldn't take it out. Which I'll probably pay for later but I showed my cousin my edges and she said it wasn't as bad as it seems. She wears weaves religiously so I'm hoping she is right. Nevertheless I am babying my edges and using ORS temple balm twice a day to make sure. How are your edges feeling lately?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF