Ateeya Has Suffered a Major Setback! Tips of How to Avoid!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I LOVE Ateyaa and I really hope her hair will bounce back from this.

We have some 'holier than thou' types here which is no surprise. I've been a part of the hair community for a few years now and I recently had a setback while trying to do an at home color. ANYONE can have a setback, hair is unpredictable.

If Ateyaa liked her hair in a short bob, what's the big deal? Is every black woman expected to bun, cowash, run from heat, and hardly wear their hair down in pursuit of long hair? Most women just want their hair to look nice and styled, even if that means sacrificing length. Not everyone is length obsessed.

As for her hairline, well... many women with good hair practices struggle with their hairline. Not every woman with long, thick hair has healthy hair practices either. What works for some won't work for others. Ateyaa was just showing other women how SHE cares for her hair. If she wants to learn more about haircare I hope she will seek out LHCF, though I don't know now. Otherwise, she's not asking for any of you all's critiques.

msa

The only people that would assume that it's not healthy is a person who does not know about hair. I just figure that if an uneducated (about hair) person is to assume that just because your hair is not straight and swangin' that it's unhealthy, I wouldn't care what they thought anyway.

It's not so much that I care what they think, it's just interesting. Kind of like how a lot of black people don't think your hair is "done" unless you just left the shop or have some a fresh hairdo. People ask me all the time when I'm going to get my hair "done" since I don't wear it straight.

Most people IRL don't think of healthy hair in terms of length retention and moisture/protein balance. Healthy hair to them is artificial shine and the ability to withstand marcel irons every week or two.

Auburn

No.

It is a genuine question. If some people on here don't want swang than why are they using hazardous techniques to get it?

I honestly want to know what about her haircare practices are so unhealthy? Especially since some people on here do worse...

IMHO, a person wouldnt have to do the BKT to get that swang.
Weightless or no product on hair + flat iron technique can achieve that.

Youre right. I see many pots calling the kettle black.
I personally would never shampoo in a circular motion.
That causes a LOT of friction.

msa

No.

It is a genuine question. If some people on here don't want swang than why are they using hazardous techniques to get it?

I honestly want to know what about her haircare practices are so unhealthy? Especially since some people on here do worse...

Interesting question.

Depends on what you (and others) mean by "unhealthy".

Yup, this is passive-agressive central. :lol:

:yep::yep::yep::yep:

Kirei

I LOVE Ateyaa and I really hope her hair will bounce back from this.

We have some 'holier than thou' types here which is no surprise. I've been a part of the hair community for a few years now and I recently had a setback while trying to do an at home color. ANYONE can have a setback, hair is unpredictable.

If Ateyaa liked her hair in a short bob, what's the big deal? Is every black woman expected to bun, cowash, run from heat, and hardly wear their hair down in pursuit of long hair? Most women just want their hair to look nice and styled, even if that means sacrificing length. Not everyone is length obsessed.

As for her hairline, well... many women with good hair practices struggle with their hairline. Not every woman with long, thick hair has healthy hair practices either. What works for some won't work for others. Ateyaa was just showing other women how SHE cares for her hair. If she wants to learn more about haircare I hope she will seek out LHCF, though I don't know now. Otherwise, she's not asking for any of you all's critiques.

Thank you!!

I really wonder why some people on here whose hair is SL are given so much kudos but Ateyaaa gets the side-eye?

Glamazon has given many valuable tips for haircare and no one has batted an eye and her hair is the same length as Ateyas. (not trying to call her out) Everyone keeps saying Ateyas hair is not long, they would only listen to people with long hair, etc. but obviously not.

:perplexed

crazydaze911

Sorry, if this was already asked - didnt read the whole thread BUT how the heck can you cut out a weave yourself? how many mirrors do u need? I cant even cut my own split ends if they are at the back of my head...

Kacie

I used to wear weaves years ago and since I've found LHCF I did them twice last year all by myself and take them out all by myself. Although I've done them so many times I'd not be able to tell you what an Indian hair is. Every time I buy them I just go to the BSS and ask for recommendations, I mean the best quality for the price I am willing to pay. My weaves are always great, but I have no clue about the different brands, types on the market. I just pick the one that is nice, good quality and affordable at the moment I am buying it...

FYI..she never said she was new to weaves. She said that she was new to indian hair. Big difference. I think that's where you're mixing things up. She has been wearing hair that she would purchase from the beauty supply store (bss). The bss weave is not indian. Weaves that you purchase in bss stores are processed, less quality, and some brands use synthetic fibers and other fillers to make it.

The indian hair that she purchased for the first time is virgin indian hair that has never been processed. It's actually becoming a new phenom for a lot of women.

The question was asked why I thought that she was unfamiliar with weaves. The lack of knowledge about Indian hair coupled with what she did to her hair is why I initially came to that conclusion. If she is familiar with weaves I said OK.... MY bad.

My point is that if you're unsure about something then seek info. Geesh BHM has a section dedicated to solely weaves.

XenaX

She is so good b/c I would have been boo hoo-ing. I would not have been able to finish the vid. My hats off to her for teaching others and my heart goes out to her.

msa

Sorry, if this was already asked - didnt read the whole thread BUT how the heck can you cut out a weave yourself? how many mirrors do u need? I cant even cut my own split ends if they are at the back of my head...

I don't find it difficult at all, I just cut the thread. Basically I just pull a piece of the thread and I cut it, and then I'll pull that piece out as much as I can and then cut again.

I've been taking my own weaves out for years and it's not hard. I don't see how someone could mistake a thick piece of thread for their own hair. I know I can't because my hair isn't that thick.

trevprit

I think the thing with this is that some people are seeing her vids and know that people will see her hair and think "I just gotta try this regimen". I know if I did her routine, I'd go from some hair to no hair in a short period of time. Obviously it's working for her, because she's sticking with her regimen. But before anyone attacks her regimen or adopts it, I think we'd have to ask a question: What are her goals? Is she after length? Is she after thickness? Does she only want swang to her hair? Does she want some or all of these things? Then we have to ask ourselves: If I do this, knowing my hair, will I risk a setback of my goals or will this in someway get me closer to them?

ETA: I think she probably shampooed her hair the way she did because it's been locked under the weave and it probably was feeling good and she started getting into it, without realizing what she was doing. (I think she actually said somegthing like this in the video, that she knew something was wrong right away, but brushed it off).

Last edited:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
It's not so much that I care what they think, it's just interesting. Kind of like how a lot of black people don't think your hair is "done" unless you just left the shop or have some a fresh hairdo. People ask me all the time when I'm going to get my hair "done" since I don't wear it straight.

Most people IRL don't think of healthy hair in terms of length retention and moisture/protein balance. Healthy hair to them is artificial shine and the ability to withstand marcel irons every week or two.
Yup... I've been asked that before. That always triggers my smartarse remark "As soon as you come up off of the money needed to get it dome" to come out... that usually shuts them up. :lol: For some reason, people around me hate the fact that I wear buns most of the time.

LiberianGirl

To some of you talking about about SWANG...ummmm why did you use BKT (that you have to make sure all were windows were up to use so you didn't pass out)? Wasn't it to get that SWANG? Or maybe my eyes deceive me?

Either way she'll be okay. I hope she doesn't cut it, I hope she just lets it grow out. Why anyone would be rude to Ateyaaa I don't know, she is as sweet as pie.

Women can be so catty...FATHER!

Thank you!!

I really wonder why some people on here whose hair is SL are given so much kudos but Ateyaaa gets the side-eye?

Glamazon has given many valuable tips for haircare and no one has batted an eye and her hair is the same length as Ateyas. (not trying to call her out) Everyone keeps saying Ateyas hair is not long, they would only listen to people with long hair, etc. but obviously not.

:perplexed

Liyah, why you up in here preaching the truth? :lachen::lachen:

glamazon386

No.

A lot of people are going to say direct heat use, gluing tracks in, some people may say sew ins, etc. I don't know many details about her regimen but I'm just speculating. IDK what else people saw her do. But there are many nono things done here on this board so I don't see what the big deal is.

Status
Not open for further replies.