Are You New to Weaves? Here Are Some Definite DON'TS!!

13StepsAhead

I couldn't take it out. Which I'll probably pay for later but I showed my cousin my edges and she said it wasn't as bad as it seems. She wears weaves religiously so I'm hoping she is right. Nevertheless I am babying my edges and using ORS temple balm twice a day to make sure. How are your edges feeling lately?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

My edges are definitely a lot better, there is some noticeable thinning (there is more breakage than anything else), but not as bad as I thought it was initially. I'm just glad I have the knowledge that I do to get them back into shape. I'm just glad I didn't wait any longer than I did.

ajoke

Bumping for advice.

I got a weave installed two weeks ago so i wouldn't be bothered by my hair for a while after having my baby. The problems I have are following, I would really appreciate advice on what to do:

1) I think the hair was installed a bit too tight, or maybe I'm just not used to sew ins any more, but in places around my hair line I feel crusts on my scalp.

2) unfortunately, I didn't strip the base on the hair before getting it installed, so I'm scared to wash my hair right now, although I really want to wash my hair - any tips? Should I just take the sew in out in order to wash my hair, strip it and get it re installed.

3) because I am scared of the base, I have not been using water based moisturizers and my hair is screaming for water. I am even scared to steam while in the sew-in. I wish I could spray my scalp to relieve the dryness!

I guess the only smart thing I did with this install is making sure she left my edges out!
Any advice will be appreciated.

GeorginaSparks

Bumping for advice.

I got a weave installed two weeks ago so i wouldn't be bothered by my hair for a while after having my baby. The problems I have are following, I would really appreciate advice on what to do:

1) I think the hair was installed a bit too tight, or maybe I'm just not used to sew ins any more, but in places around my hair line I feel crusts on my scalp.

2) unfortunately, I didn't strip the base on the hair before getting it installed, so I'm scared to wash my hair right now, although I really want to wash my hair - any tips? Should I just take the sew in out in order to wash my hair, strip it and get it re installed.

3) because I am scared of the base, I have not been using water based moisturizers and my hair is screaming for water. I am even scared to steam while in the sew-in. I wish I could spray my scalp to relieve the dryness!

I guess the only smart thing I did with this install is making sure she left my edges out!
Any advice will be appreciated.
what does stripping the base do?

bronzebomb

Ediese - I know this thread is a little old, but what are you favorite brands now?

I'm looking for curly hair and considering the following:

Halley's Curls Gentle Wave (full head weave)

Full Weave with horseshoe leave out:
ONYC - Full Cuticle Mongolian Kinky Curl Textures Machine Weft
All About My Hair - Remy Kinky Curly Wefted Hair

Do you still highly recommend these brands? I'm looking for minimal shedding and tangling.

TIA

LiftedUp

I've been itching to put a weave in for some time now. I want to give my hair a 6mth rest from the relaxer and maybe even 1 year if I really love the look.

Thanks so much for the tips, came at the right time!

Monaleezza

I've been wearing weaves for nearly 2 years. But I'm struggling to find quality non-shedding hair to buy.

Any suggestions?
I don't mind spending the money if I'm going to reap the benefits.

GeorginaSparks

I've been wearing weaves for nearly 2 years. But I'm struggling to find quality non-shedding hair to buy.

Any suggestions?

go to BHM and see what Chinese Vendors they're buying from. Apparently BSS hair sucks. I realized this when I got mine.

GeorginaSparks

HELP my scalp is itchy. I shampooed yesterday so could it be dry scalp? How do i stop the itching??? I sprayed a mixture of MT/hawaiian silky 14 n 1 and tea tree oil in some area earlier today but it's still itching :(

beautyintheyes

shockolate said:
HELP my scalp is itchy. I shampooed yesterday so could it be dry scalp? How do i stop the itching??? I sprayed a mixture of MT/hawaiian silky 14 n 1 and tea tree oil in some area earlier today but it's still itching :(

It could've been the base of your hair not being stripped before you installed it try to wash with asv

Makenzie

Monaleezza said:

Any suggestions?

Senghori Shells is good. BHM has a ton of reviews on non bss hair.

blackbarbie986

I'm kind of new to sew ins, had one about two years ago. Got one last week, she used a net, and my scalp is so itchy. It's driving me crazy. My metal rat tail comb stays by my side. PLEASE HELP!!

blackbarbie986 said:
I'm kind of new to sew ins, had one about two years ago. Got one last week, she used a net, and my scalp is so itchy. It's driving me crazy. My metal rat tail comb stays by my side. PLEASE HELP!!

When my scalp gets itch I try to get some scurl or conditioner and water to my scalp as good as possible.... That way it moisturizing and get that itchy scalp outta the way

Hisbeloved

I'm getting a full weave next week and it will be my first time ever. My question is, is the cap/net thing necessary and if so, how do you moisturize and seal your hair with it on?