Ateeya Has Suffered a Major Setback! Tips of How to Avoid!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glamazon386

I'm still not understanding why so many people are not "pro swang"- I love when my hair has swang to it. I can understand naturals that don't use heat... but some people were talking about having "swang" like somebody cursed at their mother or something. :ohwell:

Girl don't you know "swang" is white girl flow. And trying to be white is blasphemous. :rolleyes: :lol: But seriously, I understand. A good cut and style is important to have flowing hair. Who wants stiff brittle hair?

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I dont know for others but when I see Ateyaa or Macherieamour or others combing their dry hair intensively with a paddle brush and a fine tooth comb without breakage I am like:shocked: And their hair is still thick and beautiful:drool:... Honestly how many of us on LHCF can do so :pinocchio THAT is thriving hair for me:yep:
They are PRIME examples that heat and combs are not the devil. :)

glamazon386

This is so true. I used a really good moisturizer the last time I had cornrow extensions, and besides the fact that my hair was dirty it almost looked like a pretty braid out. When I was just using grease on my hair my take-out would look crazy and bad. I never left braids in long enough for my hair to mat up.

That's exactly how mine turned out. :yep: When I want back to the natural hair shop the next time I wrote down the name of the product she used and tracked it down online. I also made my own shea butter/coconut oil mixture that I use sometimes too but I couldn't believe my hair was so soft well over a month later even after being washed and airdried multiple times.

kblc06

I agree with you here. I dont want to be negative and maybe Im wrong but her hair didnt seem to be "thriving" to me. Her hairline is evidence of it unless she has a condition. I hope yall dont mean having "swang" shows how "healthy" it is because almost anyone can get that "swang"
. Could anyone tell me what yall mean by thriving?

Her hair appeared to be very healthy, with well kept ends and was retaining length. For most people, your hair doesn't have that type of movement unless its healthy or properly cut. To compensate for the amount of heat she used, most her her products and DC regimen consisted of moderate to hard protein. There are many on here criticizing her methods when they generally follow the same regimen, albeit with less heat. My hair like is healthy as all get out but when I've been in braids and take them down-I look like the equivalent of a plucked chicken. In most of her other videos her hairline looks great.

I'm starting to realize that when I just let my hair do what it do, it grows lovely. I've been doing nothing but wash n gos with Long Aid curl activator gel & a dab of vaseline :eek:, I tie my hair up when I think about it, and where it down whenever I please and I've retained a little over 1 1/2 inches in the past 2 months with not a split end in sight.

Last edited:

glamazon386

Thanks Glam...

Can you give me more help? I'm not familiar with the weaving process and so I can't visualize HOW one would DC braids when there's stuff on top of the braids. I would be soooooooo grateful to receive a step by step picture guide on how to properly DC hair (am I asking too much?)
HOW does one get to the braid to DC or moisturize? Someone mentioned 'lifting' the weave. I can't visualize this either since in my mind the hair is sewn, what am I grabbing to lift, am I pulling the thread and thus pulling my hair? And is it understood that all the hair cannot benefit from a DC since the hair is braided restricting penetration of the product? Can one do a protein treatment? a mild one of course....questions, question, questions....

Typically what I do is I wash my hair in the shower. And then I use a thick creamy deep conditioner. Like DPR11, Nexxus Humectress, etc. I've also used ORS Paks and some other stuff. I slather it on all the weave hair and kind of rub it down into my hair and scalp between the tracks. That's what people mean by lifting the weave/tracks. Tracks are usually sewn in rows or in a circle. You can lift each row up because they can fall forward or backward. They're only attached at the weft of the track which is kind of like the root of the weave hair. You can stick your finger under there. Some people use applicator bottles and squirt product in there but I've never done that. I will say this though, if you have a weave with a net you won't be able to get in there to the braids. That's why I don't like the net. You can't get to your scalp. I've never tried a protein treatment in a weave (unless you want to count that ORS Pak) but I typically don't do protein treatments on my hair anyway. Since going natural I don't really need them. But you could just use a light protein conditioner if need be. I wouldn't try that hard aphogee or anything because it'll probably dry the weave hair out and make it matt.

After I put the conditioner on, then I put on a plastic cap. It'll trickle down into your hair. Sometimes I will sleep with it in and rinse in the morning. Other times I may leave it on for an hour or so in the house and then rinse. You can also sit under the dryer and then rinse. I could tell it was working for me (I started doing this when I was relaxed) when I would go to the salon to get my own hair done and the stylist would comment on how soft my hair was. It was from the creamy conditioners and deep conditioning. After continually doing it, it started sinking into my hair. Even now when I go get my hair done like if I go to somebody new for braids or somebody I haven't been to in a while they are surprised at how soft my natural hair is. And I don't even moisturize daily. I just wash and DC once a week. It works for me.

msa

I dont know for others but when I see Ateyaa or Macherieamour or others combing their dry hair intensively with a paddle brush and a fine tooth comb without breakage I am like:shocked: And their hair is still thick and beautiful:drool:... Honestly how many of us on LHCF can do so :pinocchio THAT is thriving hair for me:yep:

I think your comment speaks to the fact that everyone has a different definition of what "healthy" or "thriving" hair is. I think the only LHCF platitude I agree with is that "Everything doesn't work for everybody". It's the only thing that seems to hold true, no matter what the situation, whether you're talking about a technique or a definition.

Auburn

Her hair appeared to be very healthy, with well kept ends and was retaining length. For most people, your hair doesn't have that type of movement unless its healthy or properly cut. To compensate for the amount of heat she used, most her her products and DC regimen consisted of moderate to hard protein. My hair like is healthy as all get out but when I've been in braids and take them down-I look like the equivalent of a plucked chicken. In most of her other videos her hairline looks great.

I'm starting to realize that when I just let my hair do what it do, it grows lovely. I've been doing nothing but wash n gos with Long Aid curl activator gel & a dab of vaseline :eek:, I tie my hair up when I think about it, and where it down whenever I please and I've retained a little over 1 1/2 inches in the past 2 months with not a split end in sight.

Thank you for your response. I looked at her past videos again and saw her hairline. I wonder what hapnd.

Anywho, trimmed ends always gives the hair a healthier look I suppose. When I was relaxed years back, my hair wasnt anywhere NEAR healthy yet it grew and I got it trimmed. I stayed at SL for a WHILE thinking I had to get a trim every time. I guess what Im saying is, my hair was just like hers but unhealthy. shrugs

Auburn

I think your comment speaks to the fact that everyone has a different definition of what "healthy" or "thriving" hair is. I think the only LHCF platitude I agree with is that "Everything doesn't work for everybody". It's the only thing that seems to hold true, no matter what the situation, whether you're talking about a technique or a definition.

Yeah, I didnt think about that.
Some people that just HAVING hair means its healthy.
Some look for a little more. I have no idea what I was thinking asking such a question when there are threads of debates and whatnot.
I guess I should just say, her hair was decent yet she does it so that it has "SWANG". I think that was what drew so many people to her.. and her awesome personality too :yep:

Kirei

To some of you talking about about SWANG...ummmm why did you use BKT (that you have to make sure all were windows were up to use so you didn't pass out)? Wasn't it to get that SWANG? Or maybe my eyes deceive me?

Either way she'll be okay. I hope she doesn't cut it, I hope she just lets it grow out. Why anyone would be rude to Ateyaaa I don't know, she is as sweet as pie.

Women can be so catty...FATHER!

msa

Yeah, I didnt think about that.
Some people that just HAVING hair means its healthy.
Some look for a little more. I have no idea what I was thinking asking such a question when there are threads of debates and whatnot.
I guess I should just say, her hair was decent yet she does it so that it has "SWANG". I think that was what drew so many people to her.. and her awesome personality too :yep:

That's exactly the point. It's a good question, just one that is going to get a million different answers.

Lots of people consider my hair unhealthy because it can't be combed. And that's ok, because that's their definition. It changes from person to person.

Auburn

To some of you talking about about SWANG...ummmm why did you use BKT (that you have to make sure all were windows were up to use so you didn't pass out)? Wasn't it to get that SWANG? Or maybe my eyes deceive me?

Either way she'll be okay. I hope she doesn't cut it, I hope she just lets it grow out. Why anyone would be rude to Ateyaaa I don't know, she is as sweet as pie.

Who is this to?

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

bedazzled

I've never washed my hair in circular motion period...It tangles your hair whether you had a weave in or not. i just rub up & down with my fingers on my scalp..but i dont move the hair around like its an herbal essence commercial...

Auburn

That's exactly the point. It's a good question, just one that is going to get a million different answers.

Lots of people consider my hair unhealthy because it can't be combed. And that's ok, because that's their definition. It changes from person to person.

I was JUST thinking this last night & my natural hair.
My thoughts were how my hair probably LOOKS dry and crunchy from afar when its super soft. They'd never know unless they touched it. In Ateya's case, I guess we dont know HOW healthy it was unless we were with her 24/7

Auburn

I've never washed my hair in circular motion period...It tangles your hair whether you had a weave in or not. i just rub up & down with my fingers on my scalp..but i dont move the hair around like its an herbal essence commercial...

Lol. Hair friction makes me CRINGE :nono:

gymfreak336

This made me LOL

msa

I was JUST thinking this last night & my natural hair.
My thoughts were how my hair probably LOOKS dry and crunchy from afar when its super soft. They'd never know unless they touched it. In Ateya's case, I guess we dont know HOW healthy it was unless we were with her 24/7

:yep::yep::yep:

Almost everyone I know considers healthy hair to be straight and swangin'. Since mine is neither, and it doesn't shine, people think my hair is "unhealthy". Until they touch it. And then they realize just how soft and strong it is.

bermudabeauty

Awww. I'm so impressed someone actually listened to my advice. :grin: That was alot of USEFUL information. This should be a sticky for first time weavers! Thanks OP.:clapping:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
:yep::yep::yep:

Almost everyone I know considers healthy hair to be straight and swangin'. Since mine is neither, and it doesn't shine, people think my hair is "unhealthy". Until they touch it. And then they realize just how soft and strong it is.
The only people that would assume that it's not healthy is a person who does not know about hair. I just figure that if an uneducated (about hair) person is to assume that just because your hair is not straight and swangin' that it's unhealthy, I wouldn't care what they thought anyway.

Kirei

Making these comments can get you banned with even saying a name, no?
Just wondering.

No.

It is a genuine question. If some people on here don't want swang than why are they using hazardous techniques to get it?

I honestly want to know what about her haircare practices are so unhealthy? Especially since some people on here do worse...

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Awww. I'm so impressed someone actually listened to my advice. :grin: That was alot of USEFUL information. This should be a sticky for first time weavers! Thanks OP.:clapping:
The only thing I'd like to stress to everyone- because her video made it seem like it tangled because of the weave- is that it tangled because of the braids under the weave, not the weave. If you're getting glues-in tracks, you won't have this issue- it's having braids in for a long time and not combing out the shed hair that caused the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.