Sew-in WEAVES: What do you ladies think??

What do you ladies think about sew-in weaves?

• HATE them! Would never EVER put a weave in my hair!

Votes: 69 10.9%
  • Love them! They give my hair a break, and it helps my growth.

Votes: 250 39.4%
  • It depends on how well you take care of your hair while your hair is weaved.

Votes: 180 28.4%
  • It depends on the stylist who did the weave in the first place.

Votes: 76 12.0%
  • It depends on how long you plan on wearing the weave.

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • I don't really care either way. Hair is hair, whether it's your own or not.

Votes: 48 7.6%

• Total voters

MaintaintheSexy

I've worn weaves for the past 4 or 5 years and initially, my hair was not growing. In fact, it looked even more damaged when I would remove it from when I would first get it. What helped is when I cut out my perm. My hair was 2 inches from my scalp (short) and in its natural state (coarse) and I would apply castor oil to my scalp and I noticed significant growth, however my edges were being compromised. I noticed that a lot of women who wore sew in weaves, had a decent head of hair, but no edges. I didn't want to end up like that so I stopped sewing in the weaves. My advice to you is, don't bother with it. If you're not going to keep it in for anymore than a month, than go ahead and try it, but even a month is too much time and can greatly damage your hair if the weave is sewn in too tight. Try a wig, a half wig, or a bun or a ponytail, but I am not a supporter of weaves anymore. I've wasted thousands of dollars on sew ins and nothing positive has happened to my hair.

Kurlee

i think the key is to not have it installed too tight, moisturize all of your hair underneath, and do styles that won't compromise your hair health. I learned to do my own installs and it was the best thing I ever did.

Last edited:

WakandanPrincess

I wear a weaves pretty much 11/12 months a year. My hair thrives in them. I usually keep them in for up to weeks; anything longer I get tired of the way that it looks so I'll take it out and wear my hair for about a week. The key is maintaining your own hair underneath. I was my weaves once a week because I work out a lot, and I am always sure to make sure that I moisturize my hair with some sort or leave in. My hair grows nicely when kept underwraps. Now, due to my new job, I have to learn how to maintain MY hair!

poookie

i think the key is to not have it installed too tight, moisturize all of your hair underneath, and do styles that won't compromise your hair health. I learned to do my own installs and it was the best thing I ever did.

i agree with the bolded. for this reason, i am not a fan of sew-ins. i know a lot of people have had a lot of success growing their hair while it's protected under weaveage, but for me, every weave experience has resulted in broken hair. i think my hair is just too fine-stranded to survive another sew-in experience.

i definitely prefer wigs. with wigs, you can take the wig off every night, & moisturize & seal as needed. and instead of spending hundreds of dollars on installation & top-quality hair, you could stock up on several synthetic (or affordable human hair) wigs, and replace them as needed.

NikkiGirl

I have never worn weaves. They are intimidating to me. I wouldn't know where to begin. But I have seen them done really well by some ladies at my job.

Nona Rose

This is great advice. I have a sew-in now that i'm trying to take care of thanks so much!!

Just make sure to keep your hair moisturized and clean underneath. Use coloring bottles (you can get them from sally's). For washing, add shampoo and dilute it with water, squeeze it into the braids and gently agitate so that it gets into the braids, rinse. As for moisture, I use a mixture of s-curl, water, and olive oil and apply it to the braids, I do this every other day. I've been doing my own sew-ins for years and my hair has flourished this way. Also when you take it out, make sure to give your hair a protein treatment and a good deep condition. HTH:)

MaintaintheSexy

I've been wearing weaves for the last five years and my hair grows with them. It grows best in its natural state. If I had a relaxer, the weave would damage my hair. It is important, to moisturize your hair everyday. Focus on taking care of your hair, not the weave. I was one of those girls whotook care of the weave instead of my hair and my hair never grew or improved. Now that I found this forum and realize the benefits of hair care, I always moisturize my scalp. I BC'd in January and now, three months later, I am ear length. I am excited and happy with the progress I've made this far.

Britt4209

I just removed my first sew-in ..and i LOVED IT! It was just cool to be able to wear my hair straight and flat iron it all the time, without damaging my own hair..I'm about 9/10 months post relaxer and this weave has helped with my progress..I will definitely be a weaver forever lol

panamoni

I'm getting my first weave tonight. Hope I'm not too self conscious about it. Hope it looks nice.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I think they're a great protective style, once the cornrows aren't too tight and you take care of your hair and scalp underneath. Plus, when they're done well they look really good. I'd like to get one but I like to have 'acess' to my hair so for now I'll stick to wigs and PSing with my own hair.

anomcasm

I've worn a weave for years. Some of the earlier years weren't so kind to my hair mainly because I had no idea how to care for my hair underneath. Now, my hair thrives with weaves. I am careful to wash my hair and condition (using an applicator bottle and quality hair). I also moisturize my scalp while the install is in. I have relatively fine hair, but my stylist is awesome, so she knows exactly how to do my install. It's always fab to boot, so if I can protect my hair, grow my hair and look fab in the process --- why not (smile). Anyway, I believe with everything else, what works for some will not work the same for all AND you MUST determine what is best for YOUR hair; unfortunately, that's usually through trial and error...

Boujoichic

I wear a weave as a protective style but It is so important to find a good "weavologist". I had a weave previously that was too tight and pulled out and thinned my hair (on top of that she was crazy expensive) after that I almost gave up weaves altogether but I did some research and found my current stylist. When she braids my hair I cannot even feel it and there is absolutely no pulling or feeling too tight or having take aspirin but my braids and the stitches are totally secure until it is time for me to take the install down she is amazing. If you get a weave installed and feel like you have had a face lift, have to take aspirin, see little bumps at the edge of your braids or white bulbs take the weave out asap while you still have some hair left. Be careful to do your research find a good weavologist and speak up if anyone braids or sews too tight also dont leave your weaves in for more than 3 mos max or you could run into problems with matting.

almond eyes

I recently took down my weave two weeks ago and I am glad to report that when it was removed I had no breakage. I am living in a very hot and humid climate and my hair took a beating after putting some medium sized synthetic braids that were done way too tight. I was extremely reluctant to put a full weave on my natural fine hair, but the damage was very obvious and I needed to give my hair a break. I got my install done two weeks ago and I just got it removed and re-installed (and the hairdresser gave my hair a good trim) so I feel like I can give some tips.

1. I get my weaves done every 2 weeks because getting them done where I am is very cheap

2. I get a conditioning treatment done for dry and itchy scalp Keracare when I get my weave removed

3. I don't do any moisturisers or wash my hair because I can't stand the smell of the products especially in his heat and it makes my hair get matted

4. I only use human hair and my salon also washes the hair separately, while I am having my hair shampooed and treated. I am highly allergic to synthetic hair. I get flakes after two days.

5. My cornrows (which are done in a beehive) are not done tight and my front short edges are not braided. When I feel it is tight I tell my hair dresser.

6. The sewing is not done very tight

7. My scalp is lightly oiled with the itchy dry gloss from Keracare (I know it contains petroleum but it is a light touch)

8. The key is to go to a good weaveologist to ensure that the weave is done properly and professionally.

9. Because I am tender headed and have fine hair especially the middle of my hair throbs but it disappears once my weave is done.

10. To catch my 3c nape hair in the back my weaveologist uses human hair to start the beehive or snake braid.

11. I observed that the women who had their relaxers and weaves done the same day had breakage in the front.

I had no breakage at all using these methods. I find it to be a good protective style until I get over the damage and while I am living in this climate.

Best,
Almond Eyes

growinghealthyhair

I love weaves!! They have really helped my hair grow! I was in an accident earlier this year that pulled a small patch of my hair out. I waited a few weeks and let my stylist do my sew in, my hair is flourishing! The missing hair has filled back in(and thicker). I think it has a lot to do with my stylist. She installs my hair properly! It hasn't damaged my hair, and I'm able to keep my install in 12 weeks at a time!

$inna-$pice

I had my first 3 sew-ins earlier in the year and honestly have to say that I prefer to wear my own hair over the weaves. I really liked the look that they gave me and waking up with long hair, but I really don't have the patience to maintain a weave properly. It's too time consuming and I feel like I can't properly care for my own hair underneath. It's also nice to be able to feel my own scalp and not have to scratch with a bobby pin!

SingBrina

I just recently got a new weave put in, which is shown on my Fotki..... I really like them. I still wash my hair with it, I wash once a week along with deep conditioning my hair and the weave. It gives my hair a break, makes it thicker and longer! Last time I wore a weave I went from around right above APL to BSL in less than a year... really helps

jenaccess

I love weaves
The first time I had a weave it was beautiful however the braids were too small and sewn in too tight, after wearing the weave for 2.5 months I had retain length but lost alot of hair. I was bald in some places.
So now when I install a weave i have large cornrows and keep them moisturize daily and never have a problem with breakage or tangling. I wear the kinky curly hair so that when I moisturize I don't have to compromise my hairstyle by keeping my hair moist.