Sew-in WEAVES: What do you ladies think??

What do you ladies think about sew-in weaves?

• HATE them! Would never EVER put a weave in my hair!

Votes: 69 10.9%
  • Love them! They give my hair a break, and it helps my growth.

Votes: 250 39.4%
  • It depends on how well you take care of your hair while your hair is weaved.

Votes: 180 28.4%
  • It depends on the stylist who did the weave in the first place.

Votes: 76 12.0%
  • It depends on how long you plan on wearing the weave.

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • I don't really care either way. Hair is hair, whether it's your own or not.

Votes: 48 7.6%

• Total voters

Austro-Afrikana

Weaves were the beginning of the end for me. My hair thinned out BADLY and became fragile as hell. The worst condition my hair has ever been in. I did a big chop because of it and went through hell bein stared at at school. Braid extensions, robins method, is definitely the way forward for my. I get loads of growth, and its thick. And i can wash and moisturise my hair easily. I am quite amazed that what ruined my hair is the makin of others hairs. Lol

HairQueen

I voted: "HATE them! Would never EVER put a weave in my hair!' BUT I am only referring to sew ins. I had a bad experience once where I had a sew in for 2 months and when I took it out it looked like an animal had chewed its way through my hair.

Although this experience was before I discovered LHCF so I was not taking proper care of my hair back then anyway but I just don't understand how people can shampoo, hot oil, deep condition and moisturise their hair PROPERLY under a sew in??

A half weave that you can remove whenever you like now thats a different story becasue you can still 'get to' your hair whenever you need to, I recommend these for protective styling. :yep:

Miz_Complexity

How do you do this under a sew-in? I never understood that:ohwell:

I have my sew in with a net coving my hair, I moisturize with infusium 23, EO rosemary, sweet almond oil , and lavander mixed with aloe vera gel anf Mega Tek botanical spary. I do scalp massages with my finger tips and take vitamins.

I do not brush the sew in I only comb it with a wide thooth comb.

HarlemHottie

I love sew in weaves… They have always allowed my hair to grow remarkable lengths while in… I plan on going some time soon for my next one. I go to Hugo’s and have my hair custom blended to my liking then I go and have it put in… Then I’m off to the Dominicans for a wash and set and trim and I’m all set. Here are some photo of me with it. Oh on another note the both photos contain the same hair (wet and wavy) and it was my second time using the hair.

This hair style was with in a week or two after the other photos...

Id hate to dissent...but I think you should really be careful...sew ins can be unkind to relaxed hair...and actually a sew in with a few braids in the front (only worn for about a month) are the reason my former BSL is now a Bob...and because of that I am traumatized...there will never be anything fake that touches my head again...Your hair may be able to handle it but be prepared to possibly lose some length...

MrsHdrLe

I had a weave for a year (w/ regular maintenance of course) and while my hair did grow a lot, it's so fragile, I'm really thinking that it may need to be cut off. Yikes!!! It really defeated the purpose. I don't know if it was improper care (I'm a 3mo. newbie) or the weave, but the point is my hair is in a very dangerous condition. How I care for it these first few months post weave will make all the difference. I miss the convenience of it, but I don't think I'll do it again.

bluediamond0829

Okay my road with weaves has been a ruff one. Ive had some real bad weaves that ive taken out in one day and ive had some that have been okay. Thru it all ive finally found a weave stylist(Shonda) that not only can do a great weave and make it look like my own hair but can also care for my own hair which is a plus. And plus weaves have helped me transition(1 year and 8 months!!). Right now my hair has grown out of a short cut im in layers and my back part is now down to my neck. I have went from using BSS hair to using Extensions Plus hair(which is truly the best!! and has great customer service--got to go pick up my other hair tomorrow--even though it is expensive but well worth it).

Hopefully by August I'll stop wearing weaves or by the end of this year either way im done with wearing weaves and starting to care for my own natural hair!! i'm too excited :).

Oh and i voted you have to have the proper care of your own hair. I just kept my weave in for a record the longest time last month which was for 2 months!! So now im trying to for 3 to 4 months this time! We'll see earlier this week i was having some severe itching and was about to yank it out(i even emailed my weave stylist teling her i wanted to arrange a time to take it out because my scalp was so sore and irritated, but it has since stopped). But im not great either with caring for my weave either. I only went last time and got it washed for over the 2 months once. I think i may have applied MTG a couple of times during the entire time.

Last edited:

Kacie

I got my first and probably last sew-in last year. I was able to stand it for 4 weeks. In the end I must have access to my hair. I just purchased my first lace wig and I love it.

It's a silk top with back straps and wig clips/combs to the front. I get to throw it on quickly and see my own hair everyday. It's also cost effective.

DaDragonPrincess

I love them, sew-ins has really help me on my journey, and it also helps me stretch my relaxers. Plus I have seen growth from EVERY sew in I have had, plus I make sure I take care of my hair uner my sew-ins at all times.

You just got to make sure you get the right person to do your sew-ins, everyone that say they can do sew-ins CAN'T, I do my own or go to my friend BayBay.

MissBCurly

I voted for I LOVE THEM. I have been wearing sew in since I Bc'd. they helped me go from BC to APL in about a yr. (pic in fotki) It helps that I don't have to manipulate my hair at all when I have a sew in weave ( i usually get full head weave) and that I know how to take care of my hair underneath the weave. I think people forget their regimens when they are in a weave ie: protein, moisture, paying attention to your hairs overall needs. I think weaves have been the best protective style for me along with my puff inbetween weaves. I think that quick weaves, glue in weaves, are the devil at least for my hair some peoples hair can handle that. I cannot.

BeautifulFlower

Love sew-ins..............loveeeee them. But you have to keep it moisturized daily. I have gone my hair beautifully and thick with sew-ins. I dont wear them as much as I used to but they are the only way I can do 10+ post stretches. My new growth gets crazy and I'll have to detangle 2 times a week without it. But I also dont leave my weaves in long at all, max 3 weeks. Thats the benefit of synthetic (CHEAP, not cheap looking) weaves and being able to do it yourself. I can have a new hair style every week for 25 or less.

I have a spiral set in my hair now. It came out too cute. My inspiration with this:

Rei

I love them, sew-ins has really help me on my journey, and it also helps me stretch my relaxers. Plus I have seen growth from EVERY sew in I have had, plus I make sure I take care of my hair uner my sew-ins at all times.

You just got to make sure you get the right person to do your sew-ins, everyone that say they can do sew-ins CAN'T, I do my own or go to my friend BayBay.

your siggy :lachen::lachen::lachen: what is going on here

jaded_faerie

I have a love-hate relationship with weaves. I have not had a good one since 05' when Reniece did it for me. I had great growth and it looked realistic. I might try them again in 2010, but for now I'm good.

Country gal

I am wearing a weave now courtesy of Hair Usa In MD. I really like the look. It is a classy wave style. I party way too much every summer. I wanted a durable style so I could always look put together. I am hoping to get growth too.

MissBCurly

again i LOVE THEM and I will be getting another install SOON Im trying to reach BSL by end of summer and give my hair some rest.

Kurlee

just installed one today! Summer school is on and I don't have time to fuss with my hair. BSL by the new year or BUST!

nubiennze

I wore sew-ins religiously in college while I was transitioning, and I loved them. Not only did I finally find the look for which I felt I was best suited, but it was perfect for my student (read: lazy) lifestyle, and I experienced growth to boot. However, "perfect for my student lifestyle" soon turned into "an excuse not to do anything to my hair...at all," and the neglect negated any growth I experienced. So I voted "it depends on how well you take care of your hair while your hair is weaved." While I'm not against them, I'm now more focused on getting to the point where I don't need them...

(OT: newbie here... :wave: all!)

yardgirl

When I wore a sew in I got great growth but my stylist used glue for the tracks just before the leaveout. This is now a big no-no for me. No more glue. I will be weaving again.

Bellamystic

I do my own sew-in weaves and this is my BEST method ever to retain length. I always for some reason, adored tight braids. I always braid my braids tight underneath the weave and the thread makes the braids even tighter, but I never lose any hair but shed hairs. I do not recommend this to other women to wear tight braids, but for me it works and my hair grows 1/4 faster and I retain EVERY INCH.