Question For Ladies Who've Worn Full Weaves...

Which is the Healthiest Option?

• A full sew-in

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • A full glue-in (quick weave) on a cap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither is "healthier" than the other; Both are safe

• Neither is "healthier" than the other; Both are damaging

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other; Please Explain

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DivineNapps1728

Which is gentler on the hair, a full sew-in or a glue-in (quick weave) on a cap ??

I've never had either, but I'm seriously considering getting an install, I'm just unsure as to which is the healthier option.

With a sew-in I'm worried about not being able to wash thoroughly, matting & too much tension with the weight on the extensions on my hair (when it's wet or from a too tight install).

With a quick weave I worry that it won't lay flat under the cap because I'm natural, the spritz & gel used to slick my hair will be super drying & that not being able to moisturize/wash will lead to disaster.

With whatever route I choose, the weave won't be in more than 5-6 weeks & I won't be leaving any of my hair out. So, which is the lesser evil ??

Vote in the poll && share your experiences please !!

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
I like the full sew-in never had a quick weave. I did have a net weave and when i would wash it i felt i wasn't getting to my braids. As for full sew in i just dilute the shampoo and was then dilute my conditioner and condition my hair and make sure its all of it is washed out. Then i actually blow dry to insure the wefts are dried properly. I never had matting i think that will occur if you keep it in too long 8 weeks at the most then i need to really get to my hair. And when you weave you have to tell the hair dresser do not braid or sew you hair to tight and you will be fine.

ms.blue

A full sew-in using a net. When the stylist is sewing the hair on some to most will be on the net and the rest will be on your braids. You could use applicator bottles to wash and condition your hair underneath the weave (diluted shampoo and conditioner).

ETA: I actually don't like net weaves but I see the purpose for getting one.

Last edited:

Luvmycurl

I would say a full sew in. My personal experience with a quick weave has been ugly. The styles are very cute but when it time to take the weave out it becomes a nightmare. Even with a cap the glue can be on you hair. I know that some people do the quick weave with the cap and a plastic cap touching their hair. I tried that and the plastic stuck to the glue.

TeeMBL

Lurker
I had a sew-in for a year (reinstalled every few months), and I promise I am too ashamed to show you how my hair looked before the sew in. I'll just say it was damaged and barely EL, but after the sew-in I reached two inches past my shoulder.

I'm a proponent of sew-ins, but you're right leaving hair out is damaging. The top of my hair is still catching up to the rest because of the stress. I did mine myself :woot: so I had control over how tight it was, products, or how long I kept it in. Good luck.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
A full sew-in using a net. When the stylist is sewing the hair on some to most will be on the net and the rest will be on your braids. You could use applicator bottles to wash and condition your hair underneath the weave (diluted shampoo and conditioner).

ETA: I actually don't like net weaves but I see the purpose for getting one.

ms.blue, so i'm about to do a net for my next weave cause i wanna keep it in forever. :look: but seriously, a long time, lol.
just a few questions.
is it hard to get down there to the braids?
why don't you like them? is it itchy?

ms.blue

Rocky91,

A net weave will help keep the style in longer and the takedown is pretty easily but I get so itchy while wearing them.

naturalTAN

My sister does quickweaves but makes them into a wig. She braids her hair into a beehive like she's gonna get a sew-in, puts on a shower cap then a couple wig caps, and glues the hair on the cap. When she's done, she separates the plastic cap from the wig caps with no glue touching her hair. I think this method is the best, because she's braided up and can get to her hair and scalp with no issues and rebraid when necessary, yet she has the controlled style of the quickweave but with no molding.

Here is the tutorial that she learned from.

Pt. 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrFtuocCYUA

Pt. 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRoL46Z6pZw

Last edited:

Tiye

I would say a full sew in. My personal experience with a quick weave has been ugly. The styles are very cute but when it time to take the weave out it becomes a nightmare. Even with a cap the glue can be on you hair. I know that some people do the quick weave with the cap and a plastic cap touching their hair. I tried that and the plastic stuck to the glue.

I do this but I call them wigs made with glue. I do this when I want to make a wig quickly - sewing takes longer. I use plastic shower caps or saran wrap to prevent the cap from bonding to the wig form - you do have to peel away the cap but it's not hard. Assuming your stylist doesn't have to make the quick weave on your head then it can be preferable if you like rotating styles and want to be able to take it off at night - and to wash your hair, etc. They are also pretty durable. I've had my fave duby style quick weave/wig for about 3 months now and it's still in good condition. Wig caps are stretchy so you'd be surprised how much hair you can get under there. I have very bulky hair and I don't have problems making it look flat under a wig cap.