Are You New to Weaves? Here Are Some Definite DON'TS!!

Ediese

What's an "install" - is that the net weave? If so I agree 1000% with what you wrote. I lost a lot of hair in my crown & nape area last year from leaving a net weave in for 3 months. when I took that thing off my hair underneath had COMPLETELY matted up. It took about an hour to pry my hair from my scalp and detangle. Thank God I only had half of my hair under the net and not a full head weave :nono:

...and thus began my hair journey:ohwell:

It just means a weave installation.

Ediese

good post, halfway through my natural journey this year I broke down and put in a glue in weave which I ABSOLUTELY HATED. I put a ton of oil in my hair when I took it out but towards the bottom I guess the glue clumped up so I lost about 2 inches on the right side of my head :nono: Im glad that it happened early on in the process but still. I can still see where it broke off...:sad:

So sorry to hear that. I can definitely relate. I remember getting my weaves bonded, and always wondering what the heck happened to that spot with the broken hair.

Ediese

Thanks for this thread, Ediese!! I'm thinking about getting a sew-in next year ... just thinking about it.

Question: How do you get your new growth to blend in with your sew-ins? Since I'm natural, I've gotta figure out how this will work. The last time I got a partial sew-in, it was a pain to keep my new growth straight and sleek all the time.:perplexed I also feel like full sew-ins won't look as real, but I don't know.

I think it depends on the type of weave that you buy. If you buy curly/kinky weave, you'll have to use flexi rods or braid outs to blend the hair. If you're wearing straight hair, unfortunately you'll have to use heat to keep it blended. I went ahead and got a full head sew-in because of this same problem. You'll have to find someone that really knows what they're doing so it doesn't look fake or wiggy.

IWantBSl09

Very very very good information! I haven't had a weave since earlier this year, and I want to get one for the new year. I will definitely keep these tips in mind. I'm going to print these...i hope you don't mind...hehe...but thank you once again!

Mystic

Thanks for sharing those tips.

I have a full weave in for 3 weeks now. The stylist braided my hair in big parts - not tight - and used 2 mesh caps, one to protect my hair and the other to glue the weave on to. She then used the kneedle/thread to tack the ends of the wedge on the cap to it doesn't come off easily. I wash once per week and surprisingly the glue doesn't come out.

I like the protection of the mesh and it gives my hair lots of breathing room. My hair doesn't scratch me as much (whenever I do sewn in my scalp would kill me). Also, the style looks a whole lot natural than if it were sewn in. The only drawn back of this technique is I don't believe the weave will last as long as the sewn in - the maximum I might be able to go is 4 weeks. Also, I am afraid to wash it myself - in case I get a glue mishap. I have to go to the hairdresser to wash weekly at $20/visit.

Last edited:

msdevo

Oh sis I am so sorry to hear this. I too know from experience(relatives) that that black glue or any hair glue will take your hair out. It doesn't happen to all but it does happen.
good post, halfway through my natural journey this year I broke down and put in a glue in weave which I ABSOLUTELY HATED. I put a ton of oil in my hair when I took it out but towards the bottom I guess the glue clumped up so I lost about 2 inches on the right side of my head :nono: Im glad that it happened early on in the process but still. I can still see where it broke off...:sad:

cuteazz1

Thanks ladies for all the tips....

How do you wash the hair underneath so that you don't wet the whole weave..I mean do you all have to flat iron the weave again after you wash?

devin

Thanks for the tips Ediese! I am tempted to get another sew-in, but am scared due to my last disaster, catastrophe that I am still recovering from. I wish I would have had this advice then. Anyway, I need to do something, because I am tired of this bun and ponytail, and don't want to have to use heat on my hair. I want to be able to be cute daily.:grin: This is very helpful information!:yep:

Ediese

Wow, that's a pretty interesting technique. My stylist used a net cap for the first time, and I'm afraid to even wash my hair. I can't imagine that it'll be able to dry thoroughly through the net.

Thanks for sharing those tips.

I have a full weave in for 3 weeks now. The stylist braided my hair in big parts - not tight - and used 2 mesh caps, one to protect my hair and the other to glue the weave on to. She then used the kneedle/thread to tack the ends of the wedge on the cap to it doesn't come off easily. I wash once per week and surprisingly the glue doesn't come out.

I like the protection of the mesh and it gives my hair lots of breathing room. My hair doesn't scratch me as much (whenever I do sewn in my scalp would kill me). Also, the style looks a whole lot natural than if it were sewn in. The only drawn back of this technique is I don't believe the weave will last as long as the sewn in - the maximum I might be able to go is 4 weeks. Also, I am afraid to wash it myself - in case I get a glue mishap. I have to go to the hairdresser to wash weekly at $20/visit.

Ediese

Thanks ladies for all the tips....

How do you wash the hair underneath so that you don't wet the whole weave..I mean do you all have to flat iron the weave again after you wash?

I don't think it's possible to wash your real hair under the weave without getting the weave wet. Yes, depending on the type of hair (straight/curly), you might have to flat iron it after you dry it.

Ediese

Thanks for the tips Ediese! I am tempted to get another sew-in, but am scared due to my last disaster, catastrophe that I am still recovering from. I wish I would have had this advice then. Anyway, I need to do something, because I am tired of this bun and ponytail, and don't want to have to use heat on my hair. I want to be able to be cute daily.:grin: This is very helpful information!:yep:

:grin: I know exactly what you mean. This full sew-in is helping me keep away from heat. I'm considering purchasing a Simi weave/wig though. That sounds like it would be a good idea.

ClassicChic

This thread is GREAT!

I currently am wearing a sew-in. I've washed in twice so far. I know many people here would not recommend it, but I am going to keep my install in for 10-12 weeks. This advice surely will help.

Mystic

She puts me under the drier to ensure the scalp is dry.

Wow, that's a pretty interesting technique. My stylist used a net cap for the first time, and I'm afraid to even wash my hair. I can't imagine that it'll be able to dry thoroughly through the net.

ivyQuietstorm

Okay, I know this is slightly off topic, but how do you get the frizziness out of your weave? I have a gang of brazillian wave that I want to reuse, but it's a little too frizzy for me. I think I read somewhere bleach and water? Please help me out. I don't want to throw this hair away. I love it too much!!

MsGoody531

Hey Ladies,

I have been wearing sew-ins for two year straight. My stylist started using the net piece from ear to ear this year because my edges are fragile. I do everything like normal. I don’t' have a problem with matting or anything. I use the Saga Parisian Glam, $83 per bag, and never have any problems. It is the hair I have in my avatar. I normally wait about 3 weeks before I do my first wash because I like to keep the original look as long as possible. I wash my hair really well and do two strand twist all the way around with mouse and Infusium 23 because I like waves. I then put it in a pony tail and wrap it around the ouchless band so the ends will have a bend to them and let it air dry. The longer I let it dry the more defined my waves are. I always wear my sew-in for 3 to 3 1/2 months.

I want to say that these tips are wonderful. I was the person that NEVER knew how to do my hair and went to get it done every week. Sew-in weave has taught me how take care of hair. So, I think I will be ready next year when I decide to start wearing my natural hair. I guess I will have been hiding my hair for three years. WOW!! That sounds so strange..

Lol...

Sorry... Rambling...

Ediese

This thread is GREAT!

I currently am wearing a sew-in. I've washed in twice so far. I know many people here would not recommend it, but I am going to keep my install in for 10-12 weeks. This advice surely will help.

I always wear mines for 12 weeks so you should be fine.

loved

Thanks.

Cosigning that EP is the truth. I am still using the EPRT in July 07. I cut it so much that I ordered EPSRT and blended the 2 textures, using the shorter poofier hair on top. I consider it an investment since it blends effortlessly with my own hair and saves me the time and money of traveling to the BSS for hair that ends up in a rat's nest (cough cough - can anyone say Milky Way).

How do you get your weaves to last 3 months? Six or 7 weeks seems to be my limit but some of it may relate to my exercise regimen. I will try the applicator bottle washing method.

What do you do with the ends of your braids to reduce lumps?

Itchies - Are you adding hair to your cornrows? I added cheap drugstore hair to my cornrows once and my head itched like nobody's business.

I'm still working through the tangling issue. I attempt to detangle with conditioner and keep my hair in 1 direction while washing and conditioning but I still had more tangles than I would have liked after my last removal. I hope those who have been successful in overcoming the tangles will chime in.

Thann

Hey Ladies,

I have been wearing sew-ins for two year straight. My stylist started using the net piece from ear to ear this year because my edges are fragile. I do everything like normal. I don’t' have a problem with matting or anything. I use the Saga Parisian Glam, $83 per bag, and never have any problems. It is the hair I have in my avatar. I normally wait about 3 weeks before I do my first wash because I like to keep the original look as long as possible. I wash my hair really well and do two strand twist all the way around with mouse and Infusium 23 because I like waves. I then put it in a pony tail and wrap it around the ouchless band so the ends will have a bend to them and let it air dry. The longer I let it dry the more defined my waves are. I always wear my sew-in for 3 to 3 1/2 months.

I want to say that these tips are wonderful. I was the person that NEVER knew how to do my hair and went to get it done every week. Sew-in weave has taught me how take care of hair. So, I think I will be ready next year when I decide to start wearing my natural hair. I guess I will have been hiding my hair for three years. WOW!! That sounds so strange..

Lol...

Sorry... Rambling...

When you wash your hair, do you get under the dryer or air dry? I kind of took from you post that you airdry, but wasn't sure. Also, does your stylist use a mesh-like net or a more stocking cap type of net?

Your stylist sounds a lot like mines lol. Even down to the hair. She suggested I try that brand after seeing how great it was for one of her clients.

MsGoody531

Thann...

I do air dry my hair. I don't go to my stylist until it is time to get my hair done again. I figure I can save that $35 to $40 she is going to charge me to do the same thing I can do at home.

It is actually a piece of net. She measures it from ear to ear then cuts it. I would say it is from the top to the middle of my head. She then secures the net on like in maybe 4 or 5 places (I think). *giggling* It has allowed me to grow my edges because they weren't growing as fast as the rest of my hair. I have always worn a complete sew-in with no hair out.

I use all applicator bottles for all of my products. When I see more hair at the top, I know my hair is growing in. It's like sliding back and a I make sure I moisturize and minimize a lot of pulling. While I am watching tv, I will go through the hair with comb and brush gently after a couple of days when the waves need to be redone. I use all of the Carson Weave care products which have turned out to be perfect. Since joining this form, I think I could use the curl formers or those Flexi Rods to maybe achieve the same or different look.

Can you tell that I'm new... LOL... All this talking...

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
Thanx for Tip number 7. I almost always get depressed after I take down my sew-ins after weeks in and comb my hair to find big globs of hair. Its SHED HAIR!!! I'm happy to know this. That's my DUH moment for today.

Ediese

Okay, I know this is slightly off topic, but how do you get the frizziness out of your weave? I have a gang of brazillian wave that I want to reuse, but it's a little too frizzy for me. I think I read somewhere bleach and water? Please help me out. I don't want to throw this hair away. I love it too much!!

Hopefully someone else will chime in. I've never worn wavy/curly hair so I can't give you any advice. I have heard of using Silicone Mix conditioner to help revive curls and tame frizzies. You might want to try that out.

Ediese

Thanks for posting!!

Hey Ladies,

Lol...

Sorry... Rambling...

vkb247

Just wanted to say that this thread was really needed. LHCF is short on weave info so I am always having to refer folks to BHM for more details.

Ediese

Thanks.

Cosigning that EP is the truth. I am still using the EPRT in July 07. I cut it so much that I ordered EPSRT and blended the 2 textures, using the shorter poofier hair on top. I consider it an investment since it blends effortlessly with my own hair and saves me the time and money of traveling to the BSS for hair that ends up in a rat's nest (cough cough - can anyone say Milky Way).

How do you get your weaves to last 3 months? Six or 7 weeks seems to be my limit but some of it may relate to my exercise regimen. I will try the applicator bottle washing method.

What do you do with the ends of your braids to reduce lumps?

Itchies - Are you adding hair to your cornrows? I added cheap drugstore hair to my cornrows once and my head itched like nobody's business.

I'm still working through the tangling issue. I attempt to detangle with conditioner and keep my hair in 1 direction while washing and conditioning but I still had more tangles than I would have liked after my last removal. I hope those who have been successful in overcoming the tangles will chime in.

:lachen::lachen: I hate Milky Way! I don't really do anything special for it to last. The braids are always still secure enough for me to leave it in, and the weave still looks like it's in good shape. As for the braids, the stylist usually sews the ends down and that reduces all lumps. I know some prefer to use the net to reduce the lumps too.

In the beginning, they did add hair to my cornrows, but since I'm almost natural and my hair is really thick she doesn't add it anymore.

Are you natural? I never have issues with tangles when I take it down. I did have issues with my hair starting to matt up the last time because I left it in for four months. :look: lol not recommended) I still didn't have tangling issues though. It just took me a little while to properly pull my hair apart.

JustKiya

This thread is making me want to get a weave....

:look: I know, right? I've never had one, and if I could find some good kinky curly hair......

*sigh* The sad thing is, I would have it in a ponytail all the time, or..... oooh, I guess I could use my combs and barrettes to keep the hair off of my face.....