2012 Relaxed Hair Buddy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
xu93texas,

It's ok, we all have lives outside of LHCF, although at times it doesn't seem like it, lol. Please let me know how the PM Super Skinny Serum works for you, I alternate between that, CHI Silk Infusion and the Giovanni Smooth as Silk Serum. I was a mess all day yesterday, I woke up at 3:30a with a fever and feeling nauseous. I guess it was one of those 24hr bugs because i'm feeling almost 100% better now...I was soo miserable and my hair... well, my hair was an after thought to say the least but i'm back on my moisturizing and sealing game this morning. I did CW and steam with the conditioners and oils, rinsed and followed with my leave-in, moisturizer and oils. I also washed in four sections and lost very little hair and even fewer broken hairs, YAY! I'm convinced I need to CW in sections from 10wks+ or else i'm in breakage city. Have you ever just rinsed with water just to wet the hair and keep the NG softened? I tried it the day following my CW and I kinda liked it. I was being lazy and didn't do the full after CW detangling because I didn't agitate my hair during the "water wash". I just let the water run down my hair rubbed it and that's it. I may try it again to see if i'll be adding this to my regimen now that the warmer weather is nearing.

sunnieb

Nix08 - lol! I guess this is why I love my hair again at 12 weeks post. I lurve BIG hair!

I like my hair to look like a fluffy mane framing my face.

Today, it's just so blah. It just sits there. I had trouble styling it and I need about another 1/2 inch of newgrowth to get my "mane" look. My edges look like I was shocked with electrity with hairs going all different ways. :nono:

Maybe I'll cowash again tonight if I have time. Just totally not feeling my hair today.

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

nazjha

@nazjha I love ponytail sets, it has been so good for my hair, reduce usage of direct heat, low manipulation and my hair stays moisturized longer. b4 i would blow dry and flat iron wkly and although i retained length, my hair was really dry, and since i've been rollersetting with each wash, my hair is so much healthier. check out the rollersetting challenge, there are so many tips over there.:yep:

Been missing in action a bit...um yeah. lol sorry. but anywho were approaching 16 weeks post!!!don't know about you but this is definitly a first for me. i'm curious how have you been wearing your hair through this stretch??
I miss my smooth straight edges... :( this bushy curly edges arent working for me!!! Even when i put my edge control on they just revert back after a couple minutes. smh. i thought about relaxing...real tempting but i really wanna see this stretching thing out!!!

KhandiB

Ive been slipping lately, lol

But I am 6 weeks post and will be relaxing on my birthday, April 27 which will be at week 10 :)

mamaore

Nix08 good that you made a decision.
@y'all it seems the consensus is to ditch the shampoo after 6-8 weeks post and do more cowashing.

My hair tangled terribly at my last wash. Im yhinking of altering my technuques as i stretch. Any specific techniques you would recommend

TeeSGee

Been missing in action a bit...um yeah. lol sorry. but anywho were approaching 16 weeks post!!!don't know about you but this is definitly a first for me. i'm curious how have you been wearing your hair through this stretch??
I miss my smooth straight edges... :( this bushy curly edges arent working for me!!! Even when i put my edge control on they just revert back after a couple minutes. smh. i thought about relaxing...real tempting but i really wanna see this stretching thing out!!!

nazjha Hey, I've been doing ponytail rollersets then saran wrap to get my roots semi straight or flat iron it, just depends, then i place my hair in a cute bun for the wk since my hair has to be pulled back based on my job anyways. as for my edges, i moisturized it really well then add Eco Styler clear gel on my edges only not throughout the length, once its dried i apply alterna Hemp shine pomade and my egdges looks really sleek and straight and not crunchy.

nazjha

:yep:
@nazjha Hey, I've been doing ponytail rollersets then saran wrap to get my roots semi straight or flat iron it, just depends, then i place my hair in a cute bun for the wk since my hair has to be pulled back based on my job anyways. as for my edges, i moisturized it really well then add Eco Styler clear gel on my edges only not throughout the length, once its dried i apply alterna Hemp shine pomade and my egdges looks really sleek and straight and not crunchy.

when u do ur ponytail stes, how many ponytails do you make, also do you use rubberbands?? I kind of feel like i'm cheating with stretching when the only hair i am touching is my leaveout. I'm ready to embrace all of this new growth

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
mamaore I don't have tangling issues so I'm not sure if it's my hair or my technique but I don't detangle before or during a wash. When I get out of the shower I dry my hair with a micro fiber towel (just by wrapping then squeezing my hair) I apply my cream leave in and gleau oil (into a stretch I put the leave in on my finger tips and apply to my roots as well as the length of my hair). I let my hair just hang and as it dries it almost detangles itself. I simply, gently run my fingers through the dry ends and work my way up as my hair dries. Once my hair fully dries it's detangled and I haven't used a comb (although tonight I tried using a wide rake comb ONLY on my new growth and it worked like a charm:yep:) And I get to play in my hair:giggle: The benefit of doing it this way is reduced breakage as well:yep:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Well how do I post this based on my previous posts without sounding crazy:drunk: Well I'm among friends here right:look: (Plus I need to write it down to make sure I remember for the next stretch)...... If it wasn't for this wedding at the end of April I think I could stretch 16 weeks easy:giggle:
I had an aha moment last night...for me there are two hurdles to overcome with a stretch...1 - the line of demarcation and 2 -the appearance. I don't have issues with the line of demarcation (steaming, DC'ing and co washing) but the look was just getting to me. I have a love hate relationship with the comb so I've still been finger detangling. Last night I use my wide rake on my new growth ONLY after I applied my leave ins..simply one gently tug in various sections of my head to stretch out the NG. Then proceeded to airdry as usual..this morning it was PERFECT:grin:

xu93texas

KiWiStyle,
I'm glad you're feeling better. Today, I'll be washing/protein/DC. I took down my cornrows. It lasted 9 days. I tried to make through at least 2 weeks, but I so missed my hair. Anyway, I'll try out PM Super Skinny Serum today. I'll let you know how it turned out. As far as just water rinsing to soften my ng, I haven't tried that. Let me know how it works out for you over the long term.

I'm starting to have doubts about stretching to 17 weeks on 4/27. My ng is getting really thick. I'll be 13 weeks this coming Friday. I may move my relaxer date up to 15 weeks which will be 4/13. I'm just saying, haven't decided yet. How is your hair doing overall??

Lissa0821

sunnieb Yes on Friday, at first I was a little worried that I had gotten it too straight but it is fine. I washed my hair yesterday and can see plenty of texture. I am happy with the results, I cut off three inches in January and gained a full inch back in March.

TeeSGee

:yep:

when u do ur ponytail stes, how many ponytails do you make, also do you use rubberbands?? I kind of feel like i'm cheating with stretching when the only hair i am touching is my leaveout. I'm ready to embrace all of this new growth

@ nazjha for my ponytail sets i usually section my hair off into 8 sections then i roll it up.. if wearing a protective style is easier for u to manage ur hair, i say leave it alone, if aint broke, don't fix it. I've stretched for 7 mths before so its's easier for me to manage my NG cuz i've gone through this process before.

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
xu93texas,

:badidea:Don't give up now, you're the motivation behind my decision to stretch to 16wks! I made 13wks today and i'm feeling optimistic about stretching three more weeks. We're just going to have to lift each other during these "I must relax now" moments. Are you experiencing excessive shedding? Breakage? If not, let's keep it moving girlfriend. :sandm:I Won't let you relax no sooner than 16 weeks but i'm rooting for your goal of 17 weeks. I'm getting anxious as well, my relaxer date is 4/18, which is my 16 weekversary. So put those braids back in your head and think about other things...like "how about those Bulls...", wait that's me, well you get the point!

I CW last night and it was FANTASTIC (doing my happy dance in my chair, lol:superbanana:)!! So here is what I did and used:

1. Gently finger detangled and parted my hair in 4 sections then clipped while watching T.V.
2. CW with diluted HE Hello Hydration in sections, allowing the water to flow in the direction of my hair in each section then re-clipped.
3. Gently squeezed the dripping water from each section until there was very little and then gently squeezed excess water with towel (hair still clipped in sections).
4. Slathered my conditioner oil mix into each section, root to ends. Condish/oil mix:
Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
Grapeseed Oil
Apricot Oil
Coconut Oil
JBCO
Emu Oil
5. Allowed it sit under plastic cap for about 45mins - 1hr.
6. Hopped back in shower, rinsed and applied PM Super Skinny Daily Treatment to each section one at a time.
7. Rinsed the PM Daily Treatment out and squeezed excess water (re-clipped)
8. Applied Darcy's Botanicals Daily Leave-in and CHI Silk Infusion serum and allowed to air dry (no braids, twists or clips)
9. Once 90% dried I massaged JBCO to edges, finger combed into low ponytail, scarfed and Goodnight! Morning: Applied Jane Carter Nourish & Shine and Vatika Frosting. I told you i'm style challenged so I did nothing but clip in low bun with a Good Hair Day pin.

The results: I didn't not lose more than 10-15 hairs and more than half of those was shedded, NO KIDDING!! I'm left with soft fully moisturized hair and more importantly in a 13wk stretch (beat my record) I have my hair on my head!! CONGRATULATIONS TO ME!!

Last edited:

nazjha

@ nazjha for my ponytail sets i usually section my hair off into 8 sections then i roll it up.. if wearing a protective style is easier for u to manage ur hair, i saw leave it alone, if aint broke, don't fix it. I've stretched for 7 mths before so its's easier for me to manage my NG cuz i've gone through this process before.

Up to seven months?? I feel like a interviewer right now but I just can't stop it. After you relaxed after waiting 7 months what differences did you notice in your hair, if there were any??

TeeSGee

Up to seven months?? I feel like a interviewer right now but I just can't stop it. After you relaxed after waiting 7 months what differences did you notice in your hair, if there were any??

@nazjha LOL , i don't mind.. when i stretched that long it wasn't intentional, just kinda happened, however; my hair thrive, it was a lot healthier, thicker and i was able to see how much length i really gained. so i'm hoping this time its the same results as last.

ETA: I use the silicone elastic bands, the small ones that's for kids and i don't get any breakage, i cut them out or just remove them once my hair is dry.

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
sunnieb - I'm hanging in there. Had a TU appt scheduled for tomorrow but pushed it to next week. A few things came up that I need to square up first. Last week my hair was being stank a dank dank dank. This week was much better. I used LeKair cholesterol for a mid-week DC and that helped me detangled my ng with ease. I'll be 15 weeks next week. Yikes!

xu93texas

KiWiStyle,

Thanks for the encouragement!! I really needed the "kick in the rear". I had a weak moment this morning. My hair was so puffy after being in braids for 9 days, that I became frustrated with my hair. However, after washing, doing a protein treatment, and DC I feel a lot better. My hair looks I lot better, too.

Btw, I'm really liking the PM Super skinny serum. :lick:

Ms. Tiki

I have 1 week and 1 day to go. I'm so ready. Is is crazy that I have a countdown app on my phone? LOL

Britt

How many weeks post are you right now?
I am currently 10 wks post

How long are you stretching?
Would like to stretch for another 6-8 wks.

Any other info?

My hair is cut in a short bob which makes stretching a bit more of a pain b/c I can't put my hair in a bun. If I had the length i'd put it in a side bun, which is kinda cute. I guess I could start experimenting w/ braidouts. I would like to be more creative with styles and doing cutesy things w/ my hair. I would ultimately like to relax 3x/yr or every 20 wks or so. Would def like to start doing twist outs/braid outs... learning how to properly use my flexi rods.

My ultimate goal is to have thicker/fuller hair.. if I remain relaxed I think stretching my relaxers will help me achieve that.

Loving

shortdub78...how are u doing? I am going on fine. Will be DC with ORS Mayo this weekend and rollersetting at the salon. Actually most weeks I wash my hair myself and go the salon to get it roller set as I am yet to master that technique. What are your weekend plans?

Evolving78

shortdub78...how are u doing? I am going on fine. Will be DC with ORS Mayo this weekend and rollersetting at the salon. Actually most weeks I wash my hair myself and go the salon to get it roller set as I am yet to master that technique. What are your weekend plans?

Loving

not too good. i sprained my ankle Sunday night, so i haven't been able to get in the shower and wash my hair, but i am going to take a chance today. i can't take it anymore! i wish i could go to the salon so someone could wash it for me!

i hope your hair turns out pretty this weekend! i love rollersets!

Status
Not open for further replies.