2 INCHES IN 4 MONTHS (end of the year) CHALLENGE

fivetimestwo

Checking in...

I've been wearing wigs for 5 out of 7 days every week for the past 6 weeks and I think it's paying off. I think I'm on track to get my full 2 inches by the end of the year. I think I've already gained an inch unless my eyes are deceiving me.

ETA: I am also using my sulfur mix on my hair every other night

Left side was taken 8/22/11 right side was taken 10/1/11

lushcoils

Checking in: I may have to start moisturizing my hair twice a day. On some days it feels so dry by the end of the day.

greenandchic

Checking in: Still moisturizing and sealing daily (or almost daily). Oil rinsed with coconut oil and cowashed today with Trader Joe's Tree Tea Tingle. Banded my hair to stretch it out for a PS for the rest of the week.

Leave-in: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
Oil: Jojoba, walnut, olive
Butter: Koils by Nature Hair & Body Butter (mango scented).

youwillrise

things are going well. spraying my hair with a mixture of water, aubrey organics white camellia & castor oil daily for moisture...my moisture levels have been up lately. been retaining moisture much more easily.

took my twists out just now...yes, after 1am...they've only been in for a week (not even), but they look horrible. i'm gonna do 2 flat twists in the shower tomorrow morning. that's my "lazy" protective style. i'm gonna stick with smaller twists and braids from now on. i just cant get thicker twists to look right. maybe i need more length for that.

Majestye

OK so I'm posting an update. I feel as though I've made some progress. My latest length check pic is below in my siggie. I did trim slightly and am happy that I didn't get scissor happy and cut off more than 1/4 inch.

I've begun to take vitamins again and will PS in a few weeks to the end of the year.

greenandchic

Update:

Yesterday I pre-cowashed with Vatika Oil and extra coconut oil when I ran out. Cowashed with Aubrey Organic Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner. Leave-in was Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk. I put in hair in two braids to stretch it with Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and sealed with my walnut, jojoba and olive oil bend.

NitaChantell

Here's my update for the month. I had my hair in braids(my own hair) for a while...maybe a month? I always lose track smh. I need to start keeping up with that. But anyway, I moisturized the braids with my water/glycerin mix, Qhemet's AOHC and/or Shea Butter. Last night I took the braids out and my hair was soft and greasy lol. So I need to cut back on the moisture I suppose. I died my hair last month and my hair is doing well, no damage. I didn't do an exact length check, but I put my hair in large twists and bantu knots, and today my twistout was bigger than it's ever been, so I guess it's growing :look:.

I purchased Blue Magic's Tea Tree Oil Leave in today, so I'll add that to my rotation soon. Since my hair doesn't quite touch my shoulders yet, alternating twists and twistouts until I find a good wig should be fine.

I haven't washed my hair in...who knows when. I'll wash it Wednesday [I ALWAYS use a sulfate shampoo, so it doesn't really matter which brand], Deep Condition it with my protein mix [Elasta QP DC and ORS Replenishing], use the Blue Magic Leave in, seal with shea butter and put maybe 12 braids in. The next day or so I'll put the braids in twists (it stretches my hair more; doing it this way), and alternate with twists and twists outs for the next month.

I hope y'all are having great progress!!!!!!!!!
Happy hair retention :)

BreeNique

I think i'm making progress, hair is feeling considerably thicker. flat-ironed for the first time in a month on Thursday, all was well.

Now it's just a matter of keeping my hair healthy in the impending cold weather!!! let's go.

by my birthday/ winter break I hope to have another 2 inches or so, i think my hair is definately growin well!!

youwillrise

i dont feel much like my hair is growing.

i mean, there are times where i'm like "yeah! it's growing" but then the same day, i'm like "well, maybe it's not growing...it looks the same as it did before!"

i was stretching parts of my hair the other day and at first i was like "omg! yay!" then i realized that there wasnt much to be excited about. i even tried taking pictures and those didnt look much different than other ones ive taken. boo sauce on rice!

HauteHippie

I think my hair is okay. I might need to dust soon. Ugh. I just got a real trim in July.

Willing my hair to just grow!

Training myself to retain it.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

SunySydeofLyfe

Texlaxed on Saturday, I think the Silk2 got my hair to straight....we shall see. The shedding id off the chain, thinking of trying a black tea rinse tomorrow. I planned to use the Cathy Howse three day regimen to get some DCing in full effect. Will not measure until the end of the challenge!!

HHG!!!

NitaChantell

Texlaxed on Saturday, I think the Silk2 got my hair to straight....we shall see. The shedding id off the chain, thinking of trying a black tea rinse tomorrow. I planned to use the Cathy Howse three day regimen to get some DCing in full effect. Will not measure until the end of the challenge!!

HHG!!!

What does this regimen include??

Gemini350z

I have my hair weaved up, just making sure that my hair is well moisturized! Im not sure if I will make 2 inches by the end of the year....we will see.

nisemac

check in:

did my monthly protein treatment with aphogee 2 step.

minor change to regimen...after DC, i apply leave in (Aphogee) and then moisturize with Shea Moisture DTM, the immediately apply shea butter with a slightly heavy hand. then i cornrow, twirlin the ends with some additional butter. then i 'seal' with AVG, and wrap to smooth edges and any flyaways.

i'm finding i only need to re-moisturize mid-week and my end that felt brittle feel much softer. i'm only co-washing mid-week if needed. the weather has been cooler and dryer and i seem to be able to make it all week before needing to wash.

i dont plan to do a length check until end of October(along with a dusting) but even with uber shrinkage, my hair looks like its grown some.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
Still around...wigged out since forever till whenever. However, I have seriously been neglecting my hair under this thing....not good. Must change this...

ericajoy

Checking in...I just measured my hair yesterday and it looks like it's 7 inches now, so I gained 1/2 inch last month!

I've been consistent with everything in my regimen EXCEPT avoiding rubber bands. I use them every day. :ohwell: I usually use those new ones that are like stretchy ribbons, and they seem to be really gentle on my hair. Maybe I'll just compromise with myself and try to use those exclusively, and get rid of my other "ouchless" ones, which I think are a little harsher.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that I seem to have retained length! I also notice fewer broken ends since I started sealing with Vaseline.

I'm in! I really want these 2 inches b/c I think they'll help me FINALLY grow out of this awkward first-couple-years-post-BC phase.

Template to join :

Starting pic: I don't have a hair-out pic right now. :( And right now my hair is up in bantu knots, so don't want to take it down. But I measured my hair today and it's 6.5 inches from scalp to ends, pretty much all around.

What's your regimen?
- Wash & DC 1-2x per week
- Apply leave-in and heavy sealant (to ends)
- Twist in large twists or bantu knots or flexi-rod set, air dry or dry partly under dryer, sleep with satin cap
- Style in a twistout updo or bun WITHOUT a rubber band!!! (Or, if hair will behave, wear out sometimes...but this does not happen often.)
- Henna (roots) 1x per month
- Texlax every 3 months (next time is beginning of Oct.)

What Products are you using? (See profile for more details.)
Shampoo - Terressentials
Condish - Shea Moisture Restorative
Leave in - Shea Moisture Restorative + aloe juice + jojoba oil
Sealant - Shea butter mix (for now), Vaseline on ends
Daily moisturizing styler - Coconut oil mix

What will you especially do for achieving this goal?
1. Seal ends with Vaseline on wash days. They tend to get dry and break.
2. Avoid rubber bands. I think pulling my hair back into a bun with a rubber band is breaking the hair on the sides of my head. I'll have to be creative with clips and hair pins and such.

youwillrise

doing a personal hardcore ends hiding trial challenge. my idea is that i'll leave my ends up and away for 2 weeks at a time and wont even take them down when i rinse/condition. the hope is to reduce manipulation and breakage to the ends.

after the 2 week period, i will take the hair down, cleanse, do the whole 9...and then put the hair back up again.

right now i'm just trying it out. if it works without and crazy negative effects, i will continue to do this.

if it works...maybe when december 31 comes around, i'll have some good updates for this thread. haha.

ive had my twists up since tuesday morning and today i rinsed (with them still pinned up) for the first time since monday. have conditioner marinating in my hair right now. will rinse around 5-ish.

i joined that no length checks challenge...so i guess this is sort of part of that for me. just keep my hair tucked away for as long as possible, so i'm not thinking too much about it.

prettyhair73

Still slathering on my coconut oil EVERY night. Some days I alternate with a mix of the coconut oil, Shea Butter, olive oil, apricot kernel and Grapeseed.

Focusing on moisture to retain the length. The coconut oil really seems to help with the growth and moisture.

faithVA

Just keeping my hair moisturized and best I can. Tucking my ends away most of the week. Besides that not doing much different. Hopefully I will have something to show for it in December. My twist outs look longer so I'm happy about that.

TeeSGee

Checkin in: I've been sticking to my regimen and being consistent.. haven't used direct heat since Sept 2011, i've been doing pontail rollersets and bunning for work.

esi.adokowa

deep-conditioning my hair tonight.
starting my joico smoothing shampoo, conditioning with motions cpr, then my CON deep conditioner, then my joico smoothing conditioner.

i have about an inch of new growth, and it's been about eight weeks since my relaxer, so i'm on schedule to grow the full two inches by december with a little wiggle room. :grin:
hhj ladies!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
update on me:
i'm weaved up with kinky straight right now-the only protective style that actually works for me. I get to style hair still so I don't get bored.
I think i'll wash and rollerset it tonight. this flatiron job is dead because of the rain.

I've been moisturizing and sealing the hair left out, oiling my scalp and the hair braided up with coconut oil, taking my hair skin nails vit, etc.

nisemac

still following my routine. my BFF is visiting so she cornrowed my hair for me. *hangs head in shame* she did them SO much better than I can. they're not coming loose and i think i may be able to keep them in longer than 1 week. I really need to get better!

i'm resisting the urge to measure my hair until the end of the month...but I can tell it's grown. \o/

Seamonster

Just pulled down a piece of hair and it looked like it was two inches from grazing BSL, woot woot. Can't wait until December to see what I grew. Jailbird cornrows til then.

faithVA

I think I see growth :look: awwww who the heck knows :lol:

I know my gray at the roots it acting up so something is going on. :yep:

greenandchic

My hair seems like the exact same length as it was the last time I took a length shot back in July. I don't have breakage (just a lot of shedding) and I've only trimmed .25" a couple weeks ago. :cry3: