What Did You Learn Today?

Angel of the North

I learnt that it is possible to relax and neutralize hair in sections. i.e the top first and then the bottom or half and half, however, I don't think that I'm brave enough to be going there

ebonimama

I've learned that I can't do it on my own. I need the support of all the fine ladies on the board. I need the motivation of seeing these ladies achieve their goals. If I stay away too long I fall off my grind and end up doing all kinds of unhealthy things to my hair.

Now that I've come back, I'm protective styling again, taking my vitamins daily, using my growth aids and even working out a little.

That's why I never took classes on-line, I'm just not disciplined enough lol!!!!

LaidBak

I learnt that it is possible to relax and neutralize hair in sections. i.e the top first and then the bottom or half and half, however, I don't think that I'm brave enough to be going there

That's my standard way of self relaxing. I was doing that even before I discovered LHCF. I just got sick of having an underprocessed crown. It only works for me because I have a detachable showerhead that lets me control where I wet my hair. I also cover the part that I'm not working on with a plastic cap.

MaintaintheSexy

Well today was all about hair for me. I took out my braids, which I had in for a month and I noticed tremendous new growth. I washed my hair with a new shampoo (Silicon Mix Bamboo Nutritive Shampoo) than the Aphogee shampoo that I would normally use. I applied Aphogee Two minute Kertain reconstructor, deep conditioned with Alter Ego and Castor Oil, applied LACIO LACIO leave in treatment, sealed it with coconut oil and let my hair air dry. This was the first time I focused on giving my hair moisture and not protein. I used protein all throughout the month when I had the braids, a very strong one at that (Mega Tek) so it was imperative for me to up my moisture levels. My hair is not thin around my edges, a first. In fact, my edges feel longer than before. If this is a sign for what's to come, I look forward to my continued growth. I'm getting braids again (God willing) on Friday. :dance7:

LaToya28

I learned that deep conditioning does not mean just slapping any old conditioner on the hair and applying heat. There are conditioners that are specifically meant for DCing...perfect excuse to buy 2 new products! Kenra Nourishing Masque and CON Nourishing and Strengthening Treatment.

beans4reezy

I learned that if you have thin hair like I do, a good way to "thicken" it up or provide the appearance of fuller hair is by increasing the texture in your hair. I am ten months post now, took a photo of my hair today and am marveling like wow, I don't remember if my hair has ever looked this thick before in my life.

Eisani

My hair isn't really liking the whole wash once a week thing. My hair LOVES to be washed with shampoo once or twice a week. If I cowash 2 days, i need to shampoo once. If I cowash more than three days in a week, my hair likes to be shampoo'd twice. Dilemma: I just don't feel like washing that often right now but with once a week washes, my scalp has been itchy and dry which never happens. *SIGH*

LaidBak

I learned that if you have thin hair like I do, a good way to "thicken" it up or provide the appearance of fuller hair is by increasing the texture in your hair. I am ten months post now, took a photo of my hair today and am marveling like wow, I don't remember if my hair has ever looked this thick before in my life.

Any chance we could see that photo?? :look:

melodies815

How do you increase the texture of your hair?? I don't need thickness but my best friend would love to increase hers.

cj

chebaby

i learned a little about amla powder today from BM. when i finish some stuff i am going to try it.

Sade'

Today I learned that I don't have to be cute for people. I wanted to wear my hair down EVERYDAY to impress co-workers, friends, etc b/c I felt like I didn't look cute with my hair constantly pinned up. Thinking folks were like "ooh she needs to get her hair done". Then today randomly, this lady who stays with a fresh hairdo says to me "U always look so pretty". Mind you my hair is pinned up today and my bun is not as slick as I prefer it. She made my day :drunk:
I need to sacrifice my hair style for the sake of obtaining APL. I'll never achieve this w/o a protective style. RETENTION!!!
I also learned today that 90% of these moisturizers have the worst ingredients! Took me forever to find a Petrolatum & Mineral Oil free, water based moisturizer. I bought ORS Shea Butter Softening Hair & Scalp Lotion. I cannot WAIT to go home and use it!:lick:
The last thing I learned is that I do not have to spend $50 bucks on hair products to get good results. The more affordable items are just as effective. It's all about the ingredients. Lo and behold, what I needed was right in front of me at CVS! I wasted all that time & $$ at these high end salons and cosmetic stores.
I will be returning this stupid Mizani H20 Nighttime Treatment ($17.00)...it did nothing for my hair, it stinks and it's loaded with mineral oil, I am also returning this Kerastase Heat Therapy ($30.00) :wallbash: USELESS I tell you. :lachen:

Live & Learn

Lola Laughs

I learned from an old thread about using distilled water to wash hair. I also learned (from another site) that most shampoos are highly concentrated and could do just as good a job if it was diluted, 1 part shampoo, 6 parts water.

So last night I experimented and diluted my shampoo (Trader Joe) with 50% distilled water. The difference was amazing--my strands felt smoother, more elastic, yet soft to the touch. I was so impressed, I used the remainder of the gallon of DS water to rinse. I think it really made a difference on my twist out. Even my boss complimented my hair today!

The gallon cost $1 so I am going to do the math and see how often I can afford to buy distilled versus water from the faucet.

lolascurls

I learnt that:
Protein is my friend: I use a protein leave-in now and my hair is thicker and stronger, even when wet. :drunk:
Detangle on damp hair which has a leave-in and COCONUT OIL in it!
Low manipulation is the key to my length. Buns are great!
No heat will be my motto this year - too much breakage last year!:blush:
Finally, Cheap products like Herbal essences do work!:grin:

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
When you drive a car down a hill in the snow you shift to the lowest gear. I had no clue what that L was for until today but I will definitely be putting it to good use. :yep:

tomnikids3

That no one can take better care of my hair than me. I contol what is used, where its done, and how its done. I shall take control back and be successful.

nymane

That the shikakai shampoo bar just aint for me. It leaves my hair stiff and gummy.

That's how Chagrin Shampoo Bars made my hair feel...I tried like 10 of them lol...I really wanted to like them. So I'm over all shampoo bars now

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I thought for a long time that my natual hair was protein sensitive. But I learned that it is really a porosity issue. My hair was absorbing too much product and then because it wasn't holding moisture well, the product on my hair would make it feel hard.

lamaria211

with me....

What did you learn today?

For me, today I learned that I really do have a curl pattern and not just a fuzzy mess. I just needed enough NG and moisture retention in that NG to actually see it. I love the way it looks and I wish I could experience a full head of it without all the waiting.

my thoughts exactly:grin:

lilsparkle825

i learned how to catch the tiniest, most broken off of edges and braid them into individuals with extensions :look:

i was sweating BULLETS!!

LaidBak

I learned that my hair likes protein ONLY if its not combined with heat. So I cannot use any type of protein conditioner and sit under the dryer or steamer. I have to use a protein condish, then follow with a moisture condish. I cannot use heat in that process or my hair will end up feeling like straw and breaking off. I wet bun so this is all right with me!
Learning that has been a great thing. Now I know I can give my hair the protein it needs and save time because I don't have to sit under the dryer for 20 minutes each wash day. I've been doing this for the past three months and my hair is so much stronger now.

LaidBak

I learned that Nexxus Botanoil does NOT work when mixed with conditioner. It leaves my hair feeling like its coated with thick wax. I just tried it again for the third time. I feel like I need to clarify to get it off. Yuck! This is not the same stuff I remember using back in the late 90s.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
That not all cones are created equal from "the Curly girl method" which I found on this site:)
***If a silicone has "PEG" in front of it, it is water-soluble and will not cause product buildup.
***Trideceth-12 and Cetrimonium Chloride are only considered a silicone when both are combined with Amodimethicone
***Silicones that are soluble in water and safe to use (not listed with PEG in front of them): Dimethicone Copolyol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxpropyl Polysiloxane, and Lauryl Methicone copolyol

Also when co washing - use the same technique as shampoo...since you hear that conditioner is for the hair and shampoo for the scalp I thought that I should just put the conditioner on my hair not concentrate on my scalp...silly me:)

LaidBak

I learned...That it might be time to let the subscription go. Its been two years and my hair is shorter now than when I started. Being exposed to too much information I think has been detrimental. If I ever get to APL maybe I'll rejoin, just so I can post some actual progress pics.

choctaw

add an egg to henna paste for easy rinse out and hair that bounces
herbal tea with acv is a good leave-in
perm rod double strand twists, then use pineapples for second, third, day hair
oil rinses make detangling a breeze
denman brush is good at distributing products through hair

SherylsTresses

My hair gets more moisture from cowashing and adding leave-ins instead of spraying with water and adding leave-ins. Hey, I was looking for a shortcut...! :spinning: