They told me to try and learn one new thing everyday..............so i did.

ChocalateDiva

What did you learn new today?

I learned the difference between a clarifying shampoo and a chelating shampoo.

Clarifying shampoos only remove surface buildup. Chelating shampoos cleanse the hair from the inside. I just found this out and I am so happy!! I have often wondered what the difference was. I have been using the Joico 17 minute thingie and the first step is a chelating shampoo.

This is why products that have worked for a person in the past may no longer work, even after clarifying!! Hoo Ray!!!! I learned something new.

What did you learn now today???? I’m all ears (or eyes) since we are online. LOL

Last edited:

gorgeoushair

I didn't know this either. I thought they serve the same purpose- just different names. What would ORS Aloe Rid poo be considered as?

ChocalateDiva

Thanks for the replies.. I cant believe that no one else learned anything today!!

Tell us something that you learned.

Miss_Jetsetter

Thnak you for this bit of info, chocolate diva. I always thought that both types of shampoos were one in the same. Now I know the real difference :)

Knedgers

I learned that wetting your rollers help you have smoother rollersets!..It helps the hair stick to the roller better

wheezy807

I guess it's more like a common sense moment. I just did my rollerset, when i divided my sections as i was about to start on my mohawk section i realized i didn't use my leave in. I put lacio lacio on my mohawk section but i was 3/4 done with my whole head when i realized i didn't put it on the other two sections. Well i just finished up and put some lacio lacio in a water bottle and added water then proceeded to saturate the other two sections. I'm guessing it will all workout. Guess i'm more tired than i thought.

locabouthair

I learned yesterday from Sistaslick's post that a regimen should be more moisture based than protein based. I never knew that. I should have known this but I never knew how important a moisturizing conditioner was. Whenever I wash my hair it always feels dry and i just figured that was how my hair was and I only relied on my moisturizer for moisture. I know better now.

this is her post.

Alot of times, when folks say "Well, I've tried moisture and I've tried protein" the moisture trial wasn't given the proper chance. You can't really think of protein and moisture as a 1 to 1 sort of deal. A protein treatment or product totally overrules a moisturizing deep conditioning most of the time. It usually takes several deep conditionings with moisture on a protein-less regimen to get moisture levels right again-- then you have to maintain that level. Protein treatments can last for weeks on the hair b/c they are able to form strong bonds on the shaft, but moisture evaporates very easily since the bonds it forms are generally weak. That's why a regimen should be more moisture heavy than protein heavy-- I'd say almost 80-90% moisture, 10-20% protein.

I really think that you should invest in a really good moisturizing shampoo and deep conditioner combo. Not Dove. Not Motions. Not ElastaQP. Not Pantene-- I mean a good salon quality moisturizing shampoo and deep conditioner. To me, I think you can skimp on the other products in your regimen, but a good deep conditioner can make up for alot slack. Like Gym said, the "cones" in the Motions make it an "aight" moisturizing conditioner. I wouldn't expect it to deliver you from a moisture deficiency.

Im glad I read this because I was relying on the moisture plus to give me moisture but it didnt.

Last edited:

Dposh167

today after my touch-up from a 12 week stretch...i learned how important baggying really is. i hardly needed a trim when i relaxed, which usually i would need 1/4-1/2 inch trimmed off. Baggying really does work. i used to think it was just a temporary fix for dry ends. but now i see it really has long term effects on ur ends (when u don't overdue it)

ChocalateDiva

today after my touch-up from a 12 week stretch...i learned how important baggying really is. i hardly needed a trim when i relaxed, which usually i would need 1/4-1/2 inch trimmed off. Baggying really does work. i used to think it was just a temporary fix for dry ends. but now i see it really has long term effects on ur ends (when u don't overdue it)

This is good to know. Lots of the ladys swear by baggying. Glad that it works for you!!:yawn:

ryanshope

I learned that using cold water when performing a rollerset helps me with achieve a smoother, silkier rollerset. I fill my H20 spray bottle with cold water, mix in some wrap lotion or foaming wrap lotion and spray each section of hair until saturated.Rollerset, dry(air or with a hooded dryer). Blinging curls(that is before the oils or silicones).

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
Cool thread !:nicethread: (and just in time!) Yesterday I learned that the coconut oil I had been using does NOT COMPARE AT ALL with the organic extra virgin. OMG! I mean I had heard some people mention it, but I just didn't know how big a difference there is-- I just got some yesterday from the Vitamin Shop, and WOW!

First of all, I am a coconut addict:lick: --coconut toasted, coconut sweetened, pina coladas, paletas de coco, u name it. So when I first bought the regular coconut oil I was disappointed to realize that it did not even smell like coconut. :perplexed I had been using it anyway, and the results were okay.

Well the organic extra virgin smelled divinely of coconut. Major high--:spinning: sent me to coconut heaven. Then there's creaminess, yummmmm...it melted deliciously into my hair. It still feels moisturized as I type, even with all this dry indoor heat and cold winter air.:cupidarrow:I'm in love...

And that is one new thing I learned!