What Did You Learn Today?

beans4reezy

I learned that most DC's need/have some kind of protien in it because the moisture needs something to bind to.

cocoagirl

i learned, well I paid attention to the UTA/main clips.. i have seen them mentioned on here before but sometimes there is so much information about hair stuffs that you tell yourself "i'm going to have to come back to this here topic when I have time" lol so this is it, I am on here now to get my questions answered and then off to order one...:)

Lady Esquire

The henna/indigo process should only be done on the weekend! :lachen:

:lol: which is why i am doing it today!

I finally realized that daily moisture treatments and regular DCs are great, but my hair needs protein and porosity treatments to fill in my cuticles. Otherwise, the excess moisture wil cause breakage and frizz. I know, I know, pretty remedial here on LHCF, especially since SistaSlick broke it down in her articles. But its been a great lesson to relearn.

Vonnieluvs08

That I made my bantu knots too tight. Owwww!!!

That I need to stop being so heavy handed with my products so they last longer. More doesn't = better. Esp with products that have protein in it.

That butters are going to be my saving grace for the fall/winter.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
that i need to moisturize my new growth everyday, not the entire lengths of my hair. if i moisturize the entire length, it starts to get stretchy and mushy. if i don't moisturize at all, my new growth starts to stick together like a jungle.

Lita

I have to detangle my hair every other day & apply some kind of leave-in to it.
Happy Hair Growing!

SherylsTresses

1. Clarifying will remove protein overload
  2. Stay away from my fine tooth comb
  3. Leave some conditioner in after detangling in the shower (this is my leave-in)
  4. Believe in moisture/protein balance
  5. Do not mix an egg with a protein conditioner unless instructions say otherwise

Last edited:

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I learned/realized that low manipulation works very well for my relaxed hair. If I want to wear my hair out (which i'm scared to death of doing) I need to make sure I don't have to "handle it" too much for a couple of days.

I also learned that my relaxed hair is still considerably coarse and doesn't need very much protein.

I also learned I can stretch very easily to 12 weeks (from my previous 8!) without a qualm.

The breakage and shedding I get is normal esp since I only wash and detangle once a week.

Patience patience patience.

LaidBak

1. Clarifying will remove protein overload
I am fascinated by this! What products did you use that were successful for this?
I have had protein overload more times than I care to admit to ( I was a newbie experimenting with products). The two times I clarified I ended up with a head full of straw. I never would imagine to clarify to counteract the hardness of protein overload. But I tell you what, if it ever happens again I just may try it.

SherylsTresses

I am fascinated by this! What products did you use that were successful for this?
I have had protein overload more times than I care to admit to ( I was a newbie experimenting with products). The two times I clarified I ended up with a head full of straw. I never would imagine to clarify to counteract the hardness of protein overload. But I tell you what, if it ever happens again I just may try it.

Hi LaidBak :hiya: ! I used KeraCare 1st Lather which is a clarifying shampoo. I followed it with the KeraCare moisturizing shampoo and continued with my hair regi.

darlingdiva

I learned that, for my hair, a moisturizing shampoo is necessary after a clarifying shampoo. For the longest time, I thought moisturizing shampoos weren't necessary--WRONG!!!

For the past few weeks, I've been using clarifying shampoo w/out a prepoo. After clarifying, I've been using Aphogee 2-min. My hair has been horribly dry. I will never doubt moisturizing shampoos again.

LaidBak

That finding the "perfect" flat iron for me is going to be a lot harder than I thought. Can it be that hard to find a dual voltage, full size, professional flat iron that gets good reviews??? Geez.

Harina

I realized that my hair is fine. I had it straightened and in it's natural state, there is alot of hair. But pressed, it looks wispy. I'm doing a bantu knot out to increase the volume. Maybe as it gets longer, I'll appreciate the wispiness.

I also learned that I don't really like straight hair that much. Wavy, kinky, coily, curly. Give me that. But straight. Nah, too boring and plain.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i cannot pull my transitionin hair back into a pony. i will have so many tangles! i guess i will be using heat til i bc.

SherylsTresses

A new stretching hairstyle. :yep: I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this. :drunk:

My DH is always complaining that he doesn't see my hair while stretching so now my weekly style is:

1. Scarf method, rollerset the back
  2. Airdry
  3. At bedtime, I use large flexirods on the ends only, tie scarf around with rods hanging out and put on satin cap with rods tucked inside
  4. Moisturize and seal as needed
The results are a rollerset look. Sometimes I place my snood on my hair. Thanks for the snood Toyagurl. My DH loves my stretching now! :lick:

Last edited:

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
- that mixing oil with my dc will make it so easy to detangle my new growth. this is definitely a keeper.

- that serums are a must when i blowdry and flatiron my hair. gloss drops do nothing for me. a serum prevents flyaways, provides shine, and helps prevent reversion for me. and my hair is so soft!

LaidBak

- that mixing oil with my dc will make it so easy to detangle my new growth. this is definitely a keeper.

- that serums are a must when i blowdry and flatiron my hair. gloss drops do nothing for me. a serum prevents flyaways, provides shine, and helps prevent reversion for me. and my hair is so soft!

I discovered this a few months back and will continue to do it FOR LIFE.

Last edited:

SherylsTresses

Adding garlic powder to your conditioner-wash can have the same affect as Alter Ego Garlic Conditioner and its cheaper too. :yep:

MizzBrown

I'm realizing that I just cannot wear braids for an extended amount of time. My scalp just hates it and it can't breathe.

So much for resting my hair.

lilanie

My hair doesn't like apoghee's shampoo, loves CON (red label), loves parnevu & infusium 23.

Also my hair loves to be airdried, regardless of length.

LaidBak

That if I go heavy on the oil in my DC, Porosity Control might not be the best thing to do as a final rinse. it makes my hair feel funny.

Also, that if I don't practice what I have previously learned, I'll forget it. I totally forgot about applying moisturizer like relaxer when my NG is thick. Then just now it hit me-duh! That's what I am suppsoed to be doing.

CaliDiamond

I have learned that I can keep my porosity in check better by making my final wash day rinses ice cold water as opposed to using Porosity Control Conditioner every few weeks. My hair is holding moisture better because of this.