What did you learn this winter?

MsLizziA

Ok so this was my very first winter wearing my natural hair but boy did i learn some valuable lessons. I thought that my hair would be okay in this weather because it doesn't really get "cold" out here like talking about. Yea well i felt like somebody played an evil trick on me this winter because it got as cold as 15 degrees!

TALK ABOUT RAPING MY HAIR! I wasn't used to it but i did learn how to deal with it, after the fact :perplexed. Well anyway, here are the lessons i have learned for the winter.

1. Coconut oil and cold air creates frozen hair which is not a good look.
  2. Pure unrefined shea butter has got to be the BEST deep conditioner i have ever used, esp for the winter!
  3. Wash N Go s are not something i should be doing in the winter
  4. Dry styling such as twist, braidouts, and whatever else i can think of are a must!
  5. Protective styling is a must!
  6. And last but def not least, I will be wearing full head sew ins in the winter from now on!!
What have you learned?

Nayeli

Wonderful thread!

I learned that although my hair loves protein, too much will kill it in the winter.
Liquids in my hair will make my strands glue together (partly learned from a valuable thread and then experienced).
Oil-based moisturizers work well for me when it's cold - just as glycerin-based moisturizers work well for me when it's not.

virtuenow

What I learned? Straightened hair in the winter is a no-go. It stays way too straight & flat. Now I will keep my natural styles in the winter and do flat ironing only in humid weather like spring/summer. This may sound backwards to some, but big hair looks so much better!

MsLizziA

What I learned? Straightened hair in the winter is a no-go. It stays way too straight & flat. Now I will keep my natural styles in the winter and do flat ironing only in humid weather like spring/summer. This may sound backwards to some, but big hair looks so much better!
Yea i was just sitting here thinking how backwards that sounds to me

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I learned that a blend of rinse out conditioners + oil =/= a good deep conditioner, and that ceramides and protein are my friends. :yep:

Americka

I learned that my hair grows much slower in the winter and I shed something fierce. I also learned that ceramides are my friends! :yep:

ceebee3

This is my first winter so I learned some important lessons.

My hair loves protein but not in the winter, I need to focus heavy on the moisture.

My hair grows less than .5 inches so I really need to protective style more to retain what growth I do get.

Esi

I learned that my shea butter mix on my dry scalp and dry ends is a life saver for winter hair...and protective styling is the icing on the cake for retention.

nymane

I learned my regimen doesn't need much adjustment (besides less co-washing) & my growth speeds up.

indarican

I learned that glycerin, water, castor oil, and elasta QP are my BFFs.
Amen to the Elasta QP... I use it every day, and although my ends need a lot of work, this makes it so much more managable. I went from serious fly aways and wild buns to sleek soft and professional over night... love it!!!

hair_rehab

I learned that less is definitely not more when it comes to moisture, sealing with castor oil is a lifesaver and I must do more protective styling.

Jeech

I learned that I definitely need to braid my hair for winter. I need to learn to braid my own hair before next winter because other people pull my hair too roughly when they braid my hair.

I also found jbco to be indispensable this winter and I've been religiously applying the oil on my ends every night! Coconut oil and the cold air definitely do not mix!

lolascurls

I learned that glycerin, water, castor oil, and elasta QP are my BFFs.

I've been using glycerin, water, rosewater and essential oils mix this winter to great results! :yep::yep::yep:
Protective styling is the BOMBAY!!!:grin: Currently in a curly crochet braid style (my hair is growing in my cornrows! This is week three!)
Protein is still my friend! I use it mainly in my leave-in conditioner when my hair is freshly washed (Organics Hair mayo!):fairy:
I need to keep to buns or hidden styles and wait till summer dor the "out" styles (my ends can't take the wind!)
Keep going with my multivits, biotin, MSM and Spirulina (hair growth +++):clap:
I think I might redo this crocheted style after 4 - 5 weeks in! Once I see one inch of growth, :gorgeous:I'll take it out then possibly redo it with a different type of hair (wavy, maybe).....off to youtube to research!

MsLizziA

I've been using glycerin, water, rosewater and essential oils mix this winter to great results! :yep::yep::yep:
Protective styling is the BOMBAY!!!:grin: Currently in a curly crochet braid style (my hair is growing in my cornrows! This is week three!)
Protein is still my friend! I use it mainly in my leave-in conditioner when my hair is freshly washed (Organics Hair mayo!):fairy:
I need to keep to buns or hidden styles and wait till summer dor the "out" styles (my ends can't take the wind!)
Keep going with my multivits, biotin, MSM and Spirulina (hair growth +++):clap:
I think I might redo this crocheted style after 4 - 5 weeks in! Once I see one inch of growth, :gorgeous:I'll take it out then possibly redo it with a different type of hair (wavy, maybe).....off to youtube to research!
Can you post pics of the style?

Americka

Wat are ceramides?

There are some great threads on here regarding ceramides including this one and this one. There are others as well. I've also included some basic info I found while doing a google search. HTH!

"What are Ceramides?

Ceramides are lipid molecules [lipids are non-water soluble compounds that are essential for cellular development.] Ceramides naturally protect the skin from moisture loss.
What does that have to do with hair?

Well, the same thing that ceramides do for your skin. They create a protective barrier around your hair to hold in moisture and protein, while simultaneously guarding your hair against the “bad things.” [e.g., heat damage, u/v rays, chemical processes.] They basically anchor protein to your hair and act as a shield around the hair shaft. Check my previous post regarding the importance of protein-balance and your hair.
Under a microscope, hair that appears healthy has a smooth, flat cuticle without any gaps or holes. Ceramides are also present on the cuticle. Hair that appears damaged, may not only lifted cuticles, gaps and holes, ceramides will be missing."

MsLizziA

There are some great threads on here regarding ceramides including this one and this one. There are others as well. I've also included some basic info I found while doing a google search. HTH!

"What are Ceramides?

Ceramides are lipid molecules [lipids are non-water soluble compounds that are essential for cellular development.] Ceramides naturally protect the skin from moisture loss.
What does that have to do with hair?

Well, the same thing that ceramides do for your skin. They create a protective barrier around your hair to hold in moisture and protein, while simultaneously guarding your hair against the “bad things.” [e.g., heat damage, u/v rays, chemical processes.] They basically anchor protein to your hair and act as a shield around the hair shaft. Check my previous post regarding the importance of protein-balance and your hair.
Under a microscope, hair that appears healthy has a smooth, flat cuticle without any gaps or holes. Ceramides are also present on the cuticle. Hair that appears damaged, may not only lifted cuticles, gaps and holes, ceramides will be missing."
Ok well i read some of the posts and id i found out i already use this! Thanks

ms.blue

I learned this winter that my hair don't like glycerin high on the ingredient list. I only realized this this year b/c I'm not wearing braids w/ extentions or full-head weave this winter. Lesson learned not to do this next winter.

flowinlocks

I learned that less is definitely not more when it comes to moisture, sealing with castor oil is a lifesaver and I must do more protective styling.

:yep: I learned that Nothing beats Castor oil for sealing moisture in my hair in the winter. I also learned that wasn't giving my hair enough moisture in winters past.

testimony777

This is a great thread!

My biggest Winter related lesson has been that bunning is the truth :yep:. I have not had any problems with dryness this winter (and I live in Chicago) :grin:.

MsLizziA

This is a great thread!

My biggest Winter related lesson has been that bunning is the truth :yep:. I have not had any problems with dryness this winter (and I live in Chicago) :grin:.
Yea and chicago has some serious winter weather. I went on there for the winter one time. It was so cold but i loved it!

Dommo

I've learned to definitely wash less in the winter(10-14 days) and to add olive oil or a moisturizing oil to my DC's. Also, LESS PROTEIN.