What You Don't Know Can Hurt...Your HAIR!

Blessed_Angel

So, what did you learn the hard way or from another source (i.e. LHCF, friends, family) that changed things around for you in terms of having healthier and longer hair? We're all still learning, but there is so much more to hair than I ever imagined. I learn something new all the time. What did you learn or teach someone else?

I learned that my no-lye relaxers were making my dry hair even drier, that self-relaxing is NOT for everyone, and that heat protectants is a must (I was pressing my hair for years without one!! :blush:), and that there is a moisture/protein balance that should be maintained. There's more, but that's all that I could come up with right now.

PassionFruit

I knew NOTHING about the protein/moisture balance... thinking I was taking extra special good care of my hair, I used to use Porosity Control Shampoo every week... often with no conditioner at all

Just because my hair can take a lot doesnt mean I should exert so much stress on my hair. Yea it never fell out form frequent flat ironing and relaxers and hair dye but JEEZ!:drunk:

chebaby

i keep my hands in my hair ALL the time. i learned that when i take my hands out my hair and i pull back ten long strands of hair, thats not normal shedding.
because thats what i thought:nono:

silvergirl

bleaching hair, relaxing and putting in a weave all in one week can be hell for your hair.. who knew
yeah back in the day i thought my hair was bullet proof or something:perplexed

TaurusAngel

Moisture, Moisture, and more Moisture!!!!! I used to use a lot of protein accidently. I also never looked at ingredients. And i realize now that i can't overload on either.

iris601

Moisture, Moisture, and more Moisture!!!!! I used to use a lot of protein accidently. I also never looked at ingredients. And i realize now that i can't overload on either.

Exactly!! My hair was shedding all over the floor for years. Everyone always complained about it. I'd say well that's just how my hair is, it sheds. Now that I am using so many moisture creating products, my hair has stopped shedding. Since doing that, I haven't put a relaxer in my hair yet. I sprayed my scalp with S-Curl last night, and put the moisure in my shower cap, tied my hair down and when I woke up this morning, my hair looked like I had relaxed it.

Blessed_Angel

Exactly!! My hair was shedding all over the floor for years. Everyone always complained about it. I'd say well that's just how my hair is, it sheds. Now that I am using so many moisture creating products, my hair has stopped shedding. Since doing that, I haven't put a relaxer in my hair yet. I sprayed my scalp with S-Curl last night, and put the moisure in my shower cap, tied my hair down and when I woke up this morning, my hair looked like I had relaxed it.

Hmmm, what moisture did you use? When you say tie it down, did you wrap your hair or put it in a pony?

I've never used a shower cap to tie my hair at night...I'm gonna try that.

Wanderland

Just because I'm doing DC's every week doesn't mean that's enough moisture for my hair, I'm learning to learn MY hair and how it responds, behaves, craves, etc.

Lady Esquire

I was so good, but not paying attention to porosity. Ever since I've been more vigilant of it, my hair LOVES me.

Heavy-handedness is a nono. I have learned to apply product lightly. Great lesson.

Stretching works wonders, on my hairline, nape, and overall thickness especially. But only if I am keeping my routine simple in the interim, and using common sense.

Listening to my hair is key.

RosesBlack

I learned (someone on Fotki) to balance my protein and moisture.

I learned (the hard way) not to use heat on dirty hair and thick hair doesn't mean I have to use super high heat.

Blessed_Angel

I learned (someone on Fotki) to balance my protein and moisture.

I learned (the hard way) not to use heat on dirty hair and thick hair doesn't mean I have to use super high heat.

Now, why are you not supposed to flat iron on dirty hair? I've heard that you are not supposed to, but I don't know the exact reason why.

RosesBlack

Now, why are you not supposed to flat iron on dirty hair? I've heard that you are not supposed to, but I don't know the exact reason why.

I don't know why exactly either. All I know that heat on my dirty hair=fried and icky. Granted back then I was using *cringe* Pink Lotion (a crapload at that) on my hair before during and after using heat. And it tore up my hair.

Blessed_Angel

I don't know why exactly either. All I know that heat on my dirty hair=fried and icky. Granted back then I was using *cringe* Pink Lotion (a crapload at that) on my hair before during and after using heat. And it tore up my hair.

Well, I've never done that, but at least I know better now not to even start...lol.

ebonylocs

Exactly!! My hair was shedding all over the floor for years. Everyone always complained about it. I'd say well that's just how my hair is, it sheds. Now that I am using so many moisture creating products, my hair has stopped shedding.

That's not shedding, that's breakage. Putting moisture on your hair can't stop shedding (from the root), which is just part of the natural cycle of your hair replacing itself.

The only thing that can affect shedding are things that work internally, like supplements that extend the growth phase (I hear MSM is one), medication, illness, and hormones.

Blessed_Angel

I was so good, but not paying attention to porosity. Ever since I've been more vigilant of it, my hair LOVES me.

Heavy-handedness is a nono. I have learned to apply product lightly. Great lesson.

Stretching works wonders, on my hairline, nape, and overall thickness especially. But only if I am keeping my routine simple in the interim, and using common sense.

Listening to my hair is key.

Yes, I learned to apply products lightly. My mother used to coat my hair in grease when I was younger...ugh...lol

caribeandiva

Human being
I learned the hard way that neglecting your health :wallbash: and pampering your hair don't add up. Your hair will keep breaking. Take care of your health issues and long hair will follow.

Transformer

Oil is not moisture! Water is moisture. Use Oil to Seal.

I am happy to report, that 6 weeks ago my hair would crackle, snap, and pop. Now I have stretch!

mrsalittle

I've learned so much from this site (I'd been a lurker for a while before joining)...my hair has changed a lot. Co-washing, DC's, and learning about moisture and sealing w/oils has helped a lot!!!!! I love this site..thank you ladies!:drunk:

PeggyFair

Oil is not moisture! Water is moisture. Use Oil to Seal.

I am happy to report, that 6 weeks ago my hair would crackle, snap, and pop. Now I have stretch!

Really?? I thought oil was moisture? So you mean to tell me that the sweet almond oil I use is not moisturizing my hair? It sure feels like it.

Twisties

Really?? I thought oil was moisture? So you mean to tell me that the sweet almond oil I use is not moisturizing my hair? It sure feels like it.

Not sure either, but I know Sweet Almond and Grapeseed oils seem to act as a moisturizer to me. I can use these a leave-in oils.

But olive, castor, and coconut oils act as good pre-treaments or rinsing sealants to me. If I leave them in hair gets hard. But they work well for oil rinsing.

I know when I looked up Almond oil, it is described as a moisturizer for skin etc.

Last edited:

Blessed_Angel