"It's about time you did something with your hair!!"

lana

I have had some off the wall comments directed to me about my hair....so since I hate that feeling of NOT saying anything and just silently suffering...I now defend myself. I feel like if they can say, they can take it!

Real situation:

Ignorant person: It's good to see you're FINALLY wearing your hair down.
Me: I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a compliment. Is it? (raised eyebrows as I wait)
Ignorant person: (squirm) Oh yes, it's definitely a compliment, but I love your bun too.
Me: Oh...okay, well then I guess I should say thanks, right? (nice smile and walk away)

I have more...but this is how I handle these people that don't have common sense.

lana

Them: I see you're wearing a bun again.
Me: Yes, I love it this way, I'm having a GREAT hairday (nice smile)

I could go on and on...I will never let another person define the way I should wear my hair. You can never please anyone all the time, so I don't even try. As long as I love it and DH loves it...well it's on.

Ms. Martina

*Sighs*

I have an aunt that is always trying to give hair advice and I SHUT HER DOWN the other day. I told her "It's funny how you stay talking about somebodies weave, but yo edges are ate up, yo tracks are showing and you only have a couple strands of hair that makes you have a 'ponytail'. GTFO." She told my mom that she doesn't think I like her very much. Ya think?!

Black women with tore up hair need to quit giving "advice".

Well, dannnnng! :lachen: I think more people should respond that way in situations like this. People kill me trying to ask rude questions or make rude comments. They deserve an equally offensive response lol.

MystiqueBabe

That was incredibly rude and uncalled for. It is always the ones with damaged hair just flapping their gums and giving hair advice.

Everyone should have the right to wear their hair anyway they want. I will be wearing buns when I am stretching my relaxers to retain length.

I don't need anyone to approve of my hair because it's not on their head nor it is none of their business...

natural2008

My situation:

Co-worker: what's wrong with your hair? When are you going to comb it?

Me: what's wrong with your clothes? When are you going to lose some weight?

She haven't said anything else to me since. I'm glad.

@sherrimberri - This is me. Don't say anything to me if you don't want me to say anything back to you. I'm like a little kid if yu start it i, going to say something not nice back:lol:. It always seems like those people who have sharp slick mouths always have something to say and are sensitive. Beign sensitive and have a slick arse mouth don't mix. I like you let them have it.

Last edited:

Cendra

She's a loser. I'm glad she got told. Thanks for sharing this. Get on with your journey and your healthy growth, something she clearly lacks.

NaturalPath

Just out of curiosity though, playing devils advocate. Does your donut bun consist of just your hair or is it one of those shiny buns :look:

If its the later, im sorry but those shiny donut buns look a hot mess especially when someone is transitioning their hair.

However at the same time, your DM has no right to comment on your hair & if so should have done it in a more tactical way.

MsLauren

Mane_Attraxion said:
Just out of curiosity though, playing devils advocate. Does your donut bun consist of just your hair or is it one of those shiny buns :look:

If its the later, im sorry but those shiny donut buns look a hot mess especially when someone is transitioning their hair.

However at the same time, your DM has no right to comment on your hair & if so should have done it in a more tactical way.

it was definitely my own hair. I never really was ever interested in those fake buns.

southerncitygirl

HappilyLiberal

ihatechoo :lachen::lol: for that yt lank!

MsLauren

it bet your hair looks nice and i would address her too....people need to stop pushing their beliefs on what is attractive, polshed or professional on ppl especially when its not warranted. black folks work my nerves with that mess.

MsLauren

So today I go into work and pull her aside with a copy of the dress code policy and asked her where in the policy standards does it say that my bun was "not up to par?"

She had the nerve to say, "As a district manager I follow the policies and procedures as anyone else would but I have the right to voice any indiscretions that I may see especially when it comes to workplace attire."

She didn't answer my question so I asked her AGAIN where does it say in the policy that my bun is not acceptable!?

She said, "If you have a problem with how I'm running this office you can call such and such."

Bump that, I called HER manager (the regional manager) and reported the whole situation and my opinion on how rude and wrongful she was acting towards me. I was informed that this was not her FIRST offense in situations like this and that the situation would be handed. He even apologized to me for her behavior and said there was nothing wrong with my hair.

She took a lunch break and never returned. She wasn't even there when I left at the end of the day.....I wonder what happened!
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

HappilyLiberal

So today I go into work and pull her aside with a copy of the dress code policy and asked her where in the policy standards does it say that my bun was "not up to par?"

She had the nerve to say, "As a district manager I follow the policies and procedures as anyone else would but I have the right to voice any indiscretions that I may see especially when it comes to workplace attire."

She didn't answer my question so I asked her AGAIN where does it say in the policy that my bun is not acceptable!?

She said, "If you have a problem with how I'm running this office you can call such and such."

Bump that, I called HER manager (the regional manager) and reported the whole situation and my opinion on how rude and wrongful she was acting towards me. I was informed that this was not her FIRST offense in situations like this and that the situation would be handed. He even apologized to me for her behavior and said there was nothing wrong with my hair.

She took a lunch break and never returned. She wasn't even there when I left at the end of the day.....I wonder what happened!

You know what happened! I hope she enjoys her 26 weeks of unemployment.

candy626

MsLauren said:

Hating *** b$&&;. You handled it well :p

tdwillis

Good job OP. Some people just don't know how to remain professional in the workplace. I am glad you asked her to prove it with policies, not just a back and forth argument. Awesome!

dyh080

I'm trying to be positive and not let negativity like that get under my skin but she really pissed me off!!!

good for you!
Many years ago ( think early 80s) a black male co-worker said the same thing to me as he shook my hand.

Lita

OP,I understand,I get that all the time...Next time you see her..Play in your bun while holding a mirror up...

Happy Hair Growing!

Almaz

Why is it always ALWAYS the ones with hair looking like cross between Buckwheat Silverback and appointments with a Blind hairdresser always harping on those that have hair REALLY wow

Its all good

cyrealla

i bet you'll be getting the cold shoulder and dirty looks when you see her next time :yep:, but thats a small price to pay for no longer having to put up with her ignorant comments.