Airdryers Support Thread -- All About Airdrying!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
hey tn2gmh, I did a conditioner wash today and airdried my hair in a bun. my edges and hair that's not in the bun came out soft and smooth! :yay: using more products when airdrying sure does help in order not to get dry, crunchy, frizzy hair. check out my album to see what I did! ;)

lavnder

I normally Condition Wash my hair, rinse and then apply a Leave-In. I section my hair in 6 braids and let it Air dry.

In the morning I take each braid apart and apply WGO to the entire section.. Finger Style it and Go!

Air-drying has decreased the damage and make my hair healthier.

tryn2growmyhair

Poohbear said:
hey tn2gmh, I did a conditioner wash today and airdried my hair in a bun. my edges and hair that's not in the bun came out soft and smooth! :yay: using more products when airdrying sure does help in order not to get dry, crunchy, frizzy hair. check out my album to see what I did! ;)
Thanks, Poohbear. I will check it out. Maybe I am using the wrong leave-ins. Maybe I will pick up that Nexxus Headress when I run out of the B&B.

tryn2growmyhair

Poohbear said:
Poohbear, I looked at your album and I am really happy for you! Is it possible to give a little bit more detail about what you did? Perhaps it's that you used a scarf? I am asking because I use SO much product on my hair and I still get the frizzy hard effect and, yes, I have used NTM silk touch leave in and still gotten the frizzies. TIA.

Poohbear

tryn2growmyhair said:
Poohbear, I looked at your album and I am really happy for you! Is it possible to give a little bit more detail about what you did? Perhaps it's that you used a scarf? I am asking because I use SO much product on my hair and I still get the frizzy hard effect and, yes, I have used NTM silk touch leave in and still gotten the frizzies. TIA.
Yes, I tied a satin scarf around my damp hair while it was in a bun really tight. After a few hours or so, I took it off and it was laid down. I touched my hair that wasn't in the bun, and it didn't feel hard and didn't look frizzy... it felt soft and smooth. I applied all these products to my hair (that's not in a bun) while it was wet/damp in this order: NTM Silk Touch, Hot 6 Oil, a lil bit of ElastaQP Recovery, and Citre Shine Gel. I think it was mainly the gel that did the trick! Anymore questions, feel free to ask. ;)

LoriLOCX

TIA: Thank you....and you're welcome. Don't skimp on the leave-in if your hair is really dry. If you find in the morning you still need something extra, spritz (mist lightly) your hair with water and put a little leave-in on top, then again a few drops (quarter-size amount) of heavy oil to seal it. After a while, you'll get the amounts down in the night routine and won't need the extra stuff in the morning.

Poohbear: Thanks for the reply on the iron. It looked like an FHI or maybe a CHI, but the plates fooled me because they don't look ceramic. I was just curious.

kizzylonghair

tryn2growmyhair said:
I feel for you Kizzy, because you might have an extra problem -- hard water issues! When I was in England, the water was so hard and it was all I could do just to hold on to the length that I had. I think the hard water caused my hair to break a little bit. I was there for a few days recently and washed my hair there and, yep, my hair began to shed more than usual. I wonder if this might be part of the reason that you have problems with airdrying?

Hi Tryn2grow,

I have never thought about the hardnest of my water being a issue. Do you know how to check!!
It so frustrasting though. I would love to airdry but I have had to many disasters and lost to many hairs to try it again.

Poohbear

kizzylonghair said:
Hi Tryn2grow,

I have never thought about the hardnest of my water being a issue. Do you know how to check!!
It so frustrasting though. I would love to airdry but I have had to many disasters and lost to many hairs to try it again.
Oh! And that's another thing... I used to have hard water until I got a Paragon Shower Filter. So that's probably another reason why my hair came out soft this time along with the products I used. :yep:

winterinatl

All natural!
When I airdry, it is always in steps. My hair stays wet/damp for about 2 days, on average.

After I wash, (with Nexxus, or NTM) and condition, I apply leave in (NTM now - used to be Humectress) then a serum (Fantasia heat protectant- the pink bottle) and smooth throught the hair. Since I have a lot of newgrowth, I still need help with the comb-through! So I spray Perm-repair setting lotion, concentrating on the roots. This really helps me comb and slick down the new growth waves.

Then, I choose my style. Almost all invove a ponytail as it's base - allowing the roots to be pulled straight and smooth. Almost all of the styles I choose will dry the outside of the hair, leaving the inside still wet.

*For example, I may choose a simple single braid. I'll wear that all day (after a morning wash), then maybe take it down in the evening.

* Then, I'll add an oil to my hair. I have had great sucess with WGO in the roots and along the shaft.

* I put my hair in a preparation style (one to get a certain result - not one that I want folks to see me in!). Like I may make four braids over my head; let it dry, and have silky waves next morning.

I consider most of my styles to be 'preparation styles'. After I style my hair a few different times through the week, the hair gets smoother and smoother as I go. Especially if I oil up and braid before going to bed.

A style that for me is no good as preparation style is the twirl-a-bun. It's a beautiful, polished style. But my hair is like it's in a huge roller, where no one paid attention to the ends. But that's okay - as long as I re-style in the evening with some oil to get the result I want for the next day.

Poohbear

LoriLOCX said:
Poohbear: Thanks for the reply on the iron. It looked like an FHI or maybe a CHI, but the plates fooled me because they don't look ceramic. I was just curious.
I think you meant karezone, not me! :grin:

tryn2growmyhair

Poohbear said:
Oh! And that's another thing... I used to have hard water until I got a Paragon Shower Filter. So that's probably another reason why my hair came out soft this time along with the products I used. :yep:
@ Kizzylonghair, Poohear is right. This is such a big issue that I have come across hairdresser's magazines that have addressed how to deal with it. If you live anywhere near London, girl, I don't know if you even need to check. The water there and in Paris is known to be hard. I would do a google search to find out how you can check. But if your hair does not seem to take to conditioners and if you have dry almost salty type streaks on your body after washing, this might be a clue. I would consider getting a shower filter.

@Poohbear. How much do these filters cost and how much do they cost to maintain? They sound interesting.

Poohbear

tryn2growmyhair said:
Thanks, Poohbear, I went to the website. I could not tell how often the filter needed to be replaced. Do you know this? Thanks a lot.
I'm not sure. Once I find out, I'll let you know. ;)

landakaye

I usually just airdry my hair with my leave-in and myhair is so hard and crunchy so yesterday my husband got me some ors olive oil lotion then I added my oil concoction and went to bed. When I woke up this morning my hair was very easy to comb. No breakage or anything.

tryn2growmyhair

Thanks to all of you who gave your advice. It seems that many of your tips boiled down to slathering lots of product on the hair and then tying it up in a scarf so that they hair would be forced to dry a certain way. So here is what I did:

-I did a pretreatment with my own mix of pureed tofu/coconut milk/olive oil/wheat germ oil (I read in the Aubrey Organics homemade health care recipe book about tofu or in some other book I believe about this)

-Washed with NTM shampoo (trying to get rid of this stuff) and Keracare Detangling Shampoo (my hair is getting used to it and it is not as detangling as it used to be, boohoo, but then again I am at week 8 of my relaxer so I shouldnt complain)

-Did a deep conditioner with my mix of Hollywood beauty olive cholersterol/ olive oil/coconut oil/coconut milk/peppermint oil topped off with LeKair Cholesterol

-Rinsed

-Then I used everything, even things that my hair had not liked in the past. I put a * next to the things my hair has not reacted well to in the past:

Pantene Detangle Light -- I feel that rosewater is just as detangling as this.
Bumble and Bumble Leave in: I hope that this wioll work so I wont have to use this expensive leave in the future
Sheamoisture Leave In * Hair had that waxy glycerine crisp to it
Lacio Lacio * ditto
Salerm 21 * ditto
UBH Moisturizer: My hair loves this. It is a keeper
Kerastase: Love this stuff! Wont be buying it again coz its too expensive!
My own natural mango butter/shea butter oil mix
Real mango butter
Jojoba Oil
Sheamoisture Serum: It's actually a mix of oils and I like it much better than Sheamoisture leavein

Did I use too much stuff, LOL!
Then I tied my hair up tight with a scarf. I'll try to remember to let you all know what happens tomorrow morning!

Isis

You put all of that in your hair at once? Yes, please let us know how it turned out! :yep:

tryn2growmyhair

Ok, I woke up this morning to find that my hair was not in the bun was not as dry and crispy as it has been in the past. The hair has dried and it feels a little like it has dried with gel on it, even though I did not use gel. It does not feel the awful dry and crispy way that it used to.

I am not sure if this is becuase of the products or if it is because I slapped a scarf on really tight. I actually had to put two scarves on keep the scarves from slipping off. Also, the bun is still wet, so I opened up the back of the scarf so that the bun would dry.

I am not going to get the soft silkiness that I get with an airdry rollerset but I think that this is a lower manipulation way to get my hair dry without it being dry and crispy.

I am also about 8 weeks post relaxer. My hair would probably have airdried much softer if I wasnt so far past a relaxer.

About all the products -- it is a lot -- but ya'll said to use a lot! The good thing about doing this is that I now know that I do not need to repurchase the B&B leave in. It is really expensive. I think that other things will be able moisturize my hair just as well.

Once I finish these products, I am interested in looking at that Headress that you all have been mentioning.

I think that in the future, I will take the bun down at night and just keep a braid in. I dont want so much tension on my hair at night.

Finally, I have a bit of a headache from the tight scarves!

tryn2growmyhair

landakaye said:
I usually just airdry my hair with my leave-in and myhair is so hard and crunchy so yesterday my husband got me some ors olive oil lotion then I added my oil concoction and went to bed. When I woke up this morning my hair was very easy to comb. No breakage or anything.
How did you airdry? Did you tie a scarf up or wrap it? Please share the details.

LoriLOCX

tryn2growmyhair said:
Ok, I woke up this morning to find that my hair was not in the bun was not as dry and crispy as it has been in the past. The hair has dried and it feels a little like it has dried with gel on it, even though I did not use gel. It does not feel the awful dry and crispy way that it used to.

I am not sure if this is becuase of the products or if it is because I slapped a scarf on really tight. I actually had to put two scarves on keep the scarves from slipping off. Also, the bun is still wet, so I opened up the back of the scarf so that the bun would dry.

I am not going to get the soft silkiness that I get with an airdry rollerset but I think that this is a lower manipulation way to get my hair dry without it being dry and crispy.

I am also about 8 weeks post relaxer. My hair would probably have airdried much softer if I wasnt so far past a relaxer.

About all the products -- it is a lot -- but ya'll said to use a lot! The good thing about doing this is that I now know that I do not need to repurchase the B&B leave in. It is really expensive. I think that other things will be able moisturize my hair just as well.

Once I finish these products, I am interested in looking at that Headress that you all have been mentioning.

I think that in the future, I will take the bun down at night and just keep a braid in. I dont want so much tension on my hair at night.

Finally, I have a bit of a headache from the tight scarves!

It's good that your hair wasn't dry.....but I think you may have overdone it with the leave-ins. Decrease your amount on leave-ins, especially if they are cream-based. It will create build up quick.

POOHBEAR....sorry....thanks!!! :look:

tryn2growmyhair

LoriLOCX said:
It's good that your hair wasn't dry.....but I think you may have overdone it with the leave-ins. Decrease your amount on leave-ins, especially if they are cream-based. It will create build up quick.

POOHBEAR....sorry....thanks!!! :look:
Thanks for the tip. Which leave-ins should I take out? Thanks again. Tryn

Poohbear

tryn2growmyhair said:
Thanks for the tip. Which leave-ins should I take out? Thanks again. Tryn

Bumble and Bumble Leave in: I hope that this wioll work so I wont have to use this expensive leave in the future
Lacio Lacio * ditto
Salerm 21 * ditto

Out of the above 4, maybe just use 1. ;)

Jewell

I air dry with my hair hanging down and a scarf or wrapping strips tied around the front to flatten my edges. Once my hair is a little dry, and my edges lie down, I take the strips off/scarf off to allow the rest to dry in the open air, since my roots are very thick. I'm afraid to air dry in a bun or ponytail (because of breakage). The closest I come to that is putting it in a single braid down the back, which I leave in for a couple days until my next wash. I don't have a problem with crispy hair unless I use setting lotion with my leave-in. I used to do that with rollersets.

tryn2growmyhair

Poohbear said:
Lacio Lacio * ditto
Salerm 21 * ditto

Out of the above 4, maybe just use 1. ;)
Hmm, this is going to be tough, because the B&B leave in works the best of all of these on my ponytail airdrys. I guess I will use that until its finished and just use the sheamoisture or Salerm on rollerset days.

Poohbear

Jewell said:
I air dry with my hair hanging down and a scarf or wrapping strips tied around the front to flatten my edges. Once my hair is a little dry, and my edges lie down, I take the strips off/scarf off to allow the rest to dry in the open air, since my roots are very thick. I'm afraid to air dry in a bun or ponytail (because of breakage). The closest I come to that is putting it in a single braid down the back, which I leave in for a couple days until my next wash. I don't have a problem with crispy hair unless I use setting lotion with my leave-in. I used to do that with rollersets.
Do you airdry with no products?

bklyncurly

Peachtree:
I love those chunky twists! How do you get them not to unravel. Everytime I try to twist my hair and let it airdry, it starts to unravel before it's dry!:eek:

TIA
:antlers: :)

Jewell

Poohbear: I spray on Infusium 23 Leave-In, the smooth on NTM Silk-Touch Leave-In from roots to ends. I comb through, part my hair, and oil my scalp and new growth with WGHO. I put a little on the ends of my hair. I comb it back and put the strips or a scarf on. Those are the only products that I use while my hair is wet after a CO wash or shampoo. I use Nexxus Botanic Oil and Profectiv Healthy Ends on my hair daily after its dry. :)

tryn2growmyhair

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Question: How much leave in do you all use? A teaspoon? A dime? A quarter? A quarter cup? Thanks in advance. I am starting to wonder if my hair comes out crunchy because I am using too much stuff.