Airdryers Support Thread -- All About Airdrying!

Atiramisu

I'm fairly new to LHCF, but here is my routine since I joined. (p.s., I have now tried way too many new products since I've joined :wallbash: , so I'm just going to list what gave me the smoothest results, so far!)

When I use Mane N' Tail Sham./Ex. Moist. Con TOGETHER, with nothing in between, I barely need to detangle... It's effortless. I do have Pantene Setting lotion out, just in case, but I barely need it. I may add a little bit of Biosilk serum, Botanoil or NTM Silk Leave-in on my ends and to smooth my hair out in the beginning, but not much.

I part on the right (I'm a leftie) and begin smoothing the wrap, section by section. When I get to the top of my head, I gently swirl the hair into a circle onto of my head. After it's wrapped, I may spray it with a Shea butter Oil (aerosol) that I like. I then use a mesh wrap w/ velcro and put this on first, following by a wrap cap (which is NEVER tight enough), followed by a doo-rag. If I shampoo on a Sunday around 4pm or so and leave it on until morning, it's not crunchy, but very, very soft and very straight.

I'm learning so much on this forum. Thank you Ladies!! I had NO idea my hair could be straight 5 weeks into a relaxer -- and I am notorius for running to my stylist at 4.85 weeks -- like clockwork. Someone mentioned that the nape of her hair was the softest ever and I've noticed mine is much softer, too!

Now -- Can ANYONE tell me how to keep a scarf on my head at night? Any recommendations for a good scarf that won't move around? ~AT

Jewell

I put my Infusium in a spray bottle and spray it on all over until my hair is nearly dripping wet, then I add like 3 nickle-sized amounts of NTM Silk-Touch Leave-In. I comb through, then sopp up the excess leave in from my hair.

LoriLOCX

tryn2growmyhair said:
Hmm, this is going to be tough, because the B&B leave in works the best of all of these on my ponytail airdrys. I guess I will use that until its finished and just use the sheamoisture or Salerm on rollerset days.

yeah, out of the 4 just use 1. Experiment. Try one each week and see which one you like best!

tryn2growmyhair

Jewell said:
I put my Infusium in a spray bottle and spray it on all over until my hair is nearly dripping wet, then I add like 3 nickle-sized amounts of NTM Silk-Touch Leave-In. I comb through, then sopp up the excess leave in from my hair.
Thanks for the details. I was probably using way too much because I was using way more than you. :look:

tryn2growmyhair

I wanted to give you all an update. I washed my hair a few days ago and did a full rollerset. For the rollerset I used:

Spritzes of Pantene Detangle Lite
Spritzes of Pantene Setting Lotion
Spritzes of Rosewater
Spritzes of water -- to rewet hair as I went along
Quarter size coconut oil
Nickel size Salerm 21
2 Quarters size Kerastase Oleo-Relax Serum

Rollerset and used the huge 2 inch purple rollers in the middle. Allowed it to airdry. After taking it down around 7 hours later, it was mostly dry, surprisingly, the hair on the purple rollers was not completely dry!

However, my hair was the sleekest and silkiest it has been since I began this airdrying journey. I fear that this is just too much manipulation for my hair on a regular basis, so I will use try to only do as rarely as possible and still try to find ways to airdry with less manipulation. I must admit that my hair has come out the best that it's ever come out with this technique. I will probably begin using this after I am at 5 weeks with my relaxer, because I am not sure my hair needs it before then.

Also, do you know of a sure fire creme rinse I can use to detangle my hair? No matter what I use my hair still has knots and tangles in it even though I deep condition it regularly and put olive oil, coconut oil and castor oil in my conditioners. I think that my hair gets used to products really quickly -- they always stop working before I finish using up a container.

Avyn

I airdry my hair and it turns out wonderful, soft, smooth, and shiny (never greasy) every time even when its relaxer time. I wash and condition my hair, then apply africa's best hair mayo and a few (i mean few, a little goes a long way) drops of olive oil. After i comb it through i wrap it, put on a silk scarf and sleep on it while it dries over night. it always turns out wonderfully. i don't dry it any other way. i will try to do a rollerset this way. i've been reading about this and have had terrible results trying to rollerset under a dryer.

spiceykitten

I air dry everyday except when I want to flat iron. I have tried to air dry before flat ironing but it takes atleast a day to two days for my hair to fully dry and I just do not have time for that.

I am natural but my hair stays soft because I use no products after washing or conditioning it. I find products leave my hair crisp and nappy. I do not even use a leave in conditioner any more.

I try to condition wash daily or every other day. I tie my hair down and the edges come out nice and smooth. If the edges curl up I just get a little water and smooth with a boar brush tie down and the edges look great after a half hour.

I guess no additional products after I wash or condition is the key for soft hair. I guess if I want a more wet look aloe vera does the trick. I find your own hair oils that are naturally produced from your scalp is the best for your hair.

favorc

I air dry in a bun. the one in my avatar is an airdried bun. I twist my ponytail up until it dries. then i finger comb the next day. I use giovanni direct leave in on my hair and ic leave in treatment (which is a liquid). at night I use mizanni h2o every 2 days.:)

tapioca_pudding

Hmmm. I normally airdry my hair when I wrap it. I still comes out a bit dry in the morning and I have to add more product. Next time Ill try adding something creamier, maybe Humectress or either ORS Carrot Oil Creme or something. I also have some SunSilk 24/7 in the pink bottle, I may try that next time. Ill keep experimenting til I wake up w/ moisturized hair!!

HoneyDew

Airdryer checking in :D

I just thought I would check in since I am airdrying as I type this. I just applied my leave in, did a scalp massage, put on my serum and I am off to do some house work.

I love when I airdry because my hair seems to retain moisture for a longer period of time as the week progresses.

tapioca_pudding

HD - Hey lady! Do you just let your hair hang as you airdry or are you a rollerset lady? I thought I saw that you posted your 'air drying' method in this thread but I scanned thru each page and dont see it. I may be trippin.. :ohwell:

Shinka

I have some helpful tips as I have been airdrying my hair successfully for the past 6 years. My hair has grown alot using this methods, I just keep cutting it off due to indecisiveness about being natural or relaxed. Currently, I am relaxed 4a, but the formula has worked for me with chemical and natural.

To airdry for a curly stlye: I relax with Motions because it leaves me with textured hair (my happy medium between natural and relaxed). To wear my hair in curly spirals. The airdry forumula is the same as baggie technique that Pebbles used to ( and may still) use:

After wash or CO ( I CO with motions moisture plus): use Curl Activator, Creme Mositurizer, Then Seal with Oil.

I use S-curl, then motions oil moisturizer or UBH creme cond. ( in the past), and spray ORS olive oil sheen. When my hair was long enough for a baggie, I sealed with Vasoline or Nature's best pomade. Then I cover with a sandwich bag, and wore a fake bun or drawstring pony tail.

To airdry to later straighten (i.e. curling or flat iron): I wash or CO, then only put creme mositurizer ( motions, ORS, or UBH). I let it air dry until completely dry... for about 2 hours usually. I had short/medium styles when i did this. Then when dry, I sprayed Dew or put a small amount of motions oil on the dry hair 15 minutes before curling. Then I curled in small sections. Each product gives a nice sheen to the hair when heated activtated and smooths new growth too.

How did i find this out: Before the baggie method I would only use S-curl and it would leave my hair crunchy as most liquid leave ins did too. If I only used moisturizer I would get puffy more afro hair. For some reason, the s-curl holds the curl, the creme holds the moisture while the oil reduces the frizz. When I use to let down the baggie at home, my hair would stay frizzless and nicly coiled, then i wore it without the baggie in summer humidity and it stayed, so i was very excited. Also gel such as IC clear gel or Jazz light holds works in place of oil sheen or pomade.

A nice forumula. Hope it helps others too. Although I keep cutting my hair and have worn many different styles, it's had maintained a great condition thanks to this board, my airdrying method, rollersetting and Cathy Howse over the years. This year I am committed to no more cutting and gaining length.

blaqbarb

If I airdry my hair and it not in a ponytail or bun, I just make sure I have a leave-in conditioner and oil (whichever I decide to use...right now it's rice bran oil to discourage hair breakage and strengthen hair) distributed throughout my hair and put a hair scarf on. I cover my head at the edges and just tie the scarf in the back (under my hair...the same way you would do a head band). It keeps the hair both straight and soft.

Thanks for starting this thread! :clap: I would like to know other ways to airdry hair without having to do a rollerset just to get soft, bouncy hair. :yep:

I also wanted to add for those who have had success with airdrying in a bun or ponytail...
How do you get your hair that's NOT in a bun or ponytail (sides, edges, nape, etc) to come out nice, smooth, soft, straight (whatever you wanna call it) and not have that dry, hard, stiff, crunchy feeling??????????????? :confused:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Another airdryer checking in....I never did get the hang of using the blowdryer so I always have and always will airdry. All I use is a really good leave in and a water based heat protectant and I'm good to go. :yep:

4mia

im still trying to achieve straightness from airdrying i tried wrapping my hair but im not sure how i like that because i saw quite a few hairs

anymore suggestions i cannot rollerset by the way

Cleve_gryl

I tried to airdry and my relaxed hair curls up :perplexed. I've notice some relaxed heads can airdry and the hair stays fairly straight, so they can throw on some Carusos or what not. How to I keep my hair from curling up like a wash in go?

tetbelle

I understood exactly what you said. What I posted is that it must be the leave-in. Not meaning it has to be airdried in a rollerset. The hair that is not airdried in my rollerset would be the same as if it was airdried in a ponytail or bun, since it is exposed in the same way.

I think you may be right I used Sunsilk Straighten up today as a leave in and I got different results when I air dried. My hair wasn't as frizzy on the ends like it normally is. In the morning I have been co-washing, putting my leave in and then putting in a ponytail. I also put fantasia ic gel to keep it in place.

MahoganyRain

I airdry all the time....

I have learned that the best method for me is to do my normal wash routine (co-wash, deep condition & detangle, light condition). I then section my hair so i can strecth it. Then I mix my leave in conditioner (right now the condition by paul mitchell) with wonder six oil, wrap rubber bands around each section and let it dry. I find that my hair not only comes out silky and well moisterized it also takes a shorter amount of time to dry.

By the way... I am natural

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
Here's how I airdry...after washing and cond. I part my hair down the middle and put Sunsilk Hydra on both sides, then I spray my hair with my mixture of lottabody/coconut oil/water/Suave Milk & Honey Cond. seal with more coconut oil, then I put my hair in 2 ponytails and put 2 big rollers at the end of each ponytail and roll the hair up to the ponytail holder. I airdry overnight and the next day I have bouncy shiny hair.

Monilove122

I airdry as well and have seen a big difference. I use Stay Sof Fro on my roots by parting and applying, then I use a creamy moisturizer (NTM Leave-in is my fav) w/EO (olive oil, tui oil, etc. and yesterday I put a dab of castor oil for the first time), then seal with either a serum (right now I'm using Fantasia heat protectant, comb my hair into a ponytail and use a tootbrush to smooth the edges, put an oil soaked ponytail holder on, then tie a silk scarf on my head.

I do this whether I use a flat iron later or not. I really like airdrying and the only time I use heat is if I flat iron. For deep conditioning I use one of those insulated caps that uses your body heat to penetrate. I find my hair is doing great with no heat.

honeybadgirl

my hair does not do well air drying! just the other day, after i washed my hair, i decided to sit under the dryer and let it dry that way. then i flat ironed it a little to make it smooth and did a french braid. i think i may continue to do this for a long time. if i want to wear my hair out, i will use my hand dryer & paddle brush. i dont know if my hair will come out as silky str8 as i like it when i wear it out by just letting it dry with the hooded dryer. i also think i am going to put the moisturizer on my hair when wet as opposed to after when i dry like this too

Last edited:

KhandiB

IF I airdry I do it in a pony and a scarf and the next day or two I will bun.

But I notice that if I'm airdying and then flat ironing my hair doesnt flow as well and my ends tend to look all cruncy and my hair is just Blah ... my blow dried hair always seems to turn out better

BUT Im sure that is because I dont use alot of product trying to acheive "Swang" with my flat ironing..

Ive only been cowashing for one day, and Im noticing a difference .

So I will be trying to do no heat until my next relaxer (Im sure I will fail :lol: ) But def no blowdrying ..

There are alot of great ideas in this thread!

Finesse

My hair does not like airdrying :nono: I shampoo'd, conditioned and rollerset Sat. Night( like always) and did not get under the hooded dryer like I usually do because I was talking to my sis. By the time my hubby came in, I just went to bed with rollers in, I knew it would be dry for the morning. I got up, took the rollers and my curls were limp....not defined like I like them. And the humidity did not help matters any. So now, I am sitting here looking like a frizz ball with a headband...not a good look! :rofl: I will stick with my rollersetting and hood drying.

Mahalialee4

I'm fairly new to LHCF, but here is my routine since I joined. (p.s., I have now tried way too many new products since I've joined :wallbash: , so I'm just going to list what gave me the smoothest results, so far!)

When I use Mane N' Tail Sham./Ex. Moist. Con TOGETHER, with nothing in between, I barely need to detangle... It's effortless. I do have Pantene Setting lotion out, just in case, but I barely need it. I may add a little bit of Biosilk serum, Botanoil or NTM Silk Leave-in on my ends and to smooth my hair out in the beginning, but not much.

I part on the right (I'm a leftie) and begin smoothing the wrap, section by section. When I get to the top of my head, I gently swirl the hair into a circle onto of my head. After it's wrapped, I may spray it with a Shea butter Oil (aerosol) that I like. I then use a mesh wrap w/ velcro and put this on first, following by a wrap cap (which is NEVER tight enough), followed by a doo-rag. If I shampoo on a Sunday around 4pm or so and leave it on until morning, it's not crunchy, but very, very soft and very straight.

I'm learning so much on this forum. Thank you Ladies!! I had NO idea my hair could be straight 5 weeks into a relaxer -- and I am notorius for running to my stylist at 4.85 weeks -- like clockwork. Someone mentioned that the nape of her hair was the softest ever and I've noticed mine is much softer, too!

Now -- Can ANYONE tell me how to keep a scarf on my head at night? Any recommendations for a good scarf that won't move around? ~AT

I LUV YOUR AVATAR!!!!! Where did you find this picture. I so want to see a closeup! thank you bonjour

4mia

I airdry all the time....

I have learned that the best method for me is to do my normal wash routine (co-wash, deep condition & detangle, light condition). I then section my hair so i can strecth it. Then I mix my leave in conditioner (right now the condition by paul mitchell) with wonder six oil, wrap rubber bands around each section and let it dry. I find that my hair not only comes out silky and well moisterized it also takes a shorter amount of time to dry.

By the way... I am natural

can you explain what you mean by wrapping a rubber band? do you mean you wrap several bands around the length like banding?

cocoberry10

Sometimes airdrying is great for me, and sometimes it's a nightmare. I will search through this thread to get more tips! Thanks!

Ivonnovi

Do you think that if I start air drying my hair and then use my ceramic curling iron to create the style, that I will retain more length or am I setting myself up for a frizzy mess.

I've resorted to this routine and so far my hair has "thanked" me. Go for it, I've not experienced in excess frizziness, and IMHO the process saves your hair from a lot of stress. Just keep the ends groomed while allowig it to dry. I do about 6-Ponytailed twists:babyb:, and bobby-pin the ends in place.