Airdryers Support Thread -- All About Airdrying!

caramelcutieinva

I air dry hair 50%

Take two squirts of each of the following products

Kids Organics Shea Butter Deatngling Moisturizing Hair Lotion
Sunsilk 24/7 Creme Anti Poof ( Blue bottle)
Thermasilk Staright and Smooth Conditioner

Rub in hands and place in hair working from root to tip.

Part hair into three section one in the front and two in the back

Detangle with shower come and braid

Cover with satin bonnet/ scarf

dagirlgenius

does anyone have any idea how long it takes for bantu knots to air dry after washing you hair? Or do you let it air dry down, then put the knots in? Thanks

PAPRIKA

i actually used to do this but haven't done it in a while. i used to use very dilute lottabody and some tresemme conditioner as the setting lotion. i remember the key was to start the wrap at the very center of the head and work outward. i was never really good at wrapping my hair, all of the sections weren't always straight. i also remember it came out best when i had recently had my hair relaxed. i would secure with a tightly tied satin scarf. but i must warn that it takes a looong time to dry totally. 10+ hours!! now i mostly wet set and let air dry like that. after many years of practice, yes i can sleep with magnetic rollers in my head. :grin:

Wandabee

My hair is relaxed and I air dry with out frizz by using any cream moisturizer on my hair while it is damp then tieing my hair in a scarf made from an old t-shirt. I don't know how long it takes because I wash my hair at night. When I wake up in the morning my hair is dry ready for a brush and go style(with wide tooth comb of course). I am curently wearing a chin legnth bob so no wraping is needed.

Rapunzel2B

My hair always dries smooth and soft. My neighbor thought I use gel in my hair and I NEVER USE GEL. She couldn't believe how soft it was when she touched it. Here is what I do: I deep condition on dry hair, using Keracare Humecto and then I do a co-wash. I then do an oil rinse using Jojoba oil. The oil sits for a few minutes while I shower. I rinse really well with warm water. I use the water while rinsing to make sure my hair is all smoothed back, because I don't comb or brush. I don't towel dry and I apply Design Essential Hydrating leave in conditioner throughly through hair and ends and seal with Jojoba oil. I then take ends of hair and make sure it is straight and I flip it up straight and flat against the back of my head. I then tie with a satin wrap and then another satin scarf on top of that and let air dry over night. I then pull the back down in the morning and it is almost completely dry, but not hard or cruncy at all and it is smooth, shiny and soft. I then add Allways instant Oil Moisturizer to ends and surface of hair and seal with Jojoba oil. To style I just put my put a pretty clip on the back and tuck or swirl the ends around the clip so my ends aren't exposed, but yet they stay straight and not all bunched up with a scrunchie. My hair is so soft and smooth. I did this same regimen and stretched for 14 weeks and when I told people how long it had been since I had a relaxer they couldn't believe it. By the way I have 4b-zzz hair.

http://members.fotki.com/ckachinski/about/

Moroni

My hair always dries smooth and soft. My neighbor thought I use gel in my hair and I NEVER USE GEL. She couldn't believe how soft it was when she touched it. Here is what I do: I deep condition on dry hair, using Keracare Humecto and then I do a co-wash. I then do an oil rinse using Jojoba oil. The oil sits for a few minutes while I shower. I rinse really well with warm water. I use the water while rinsing to make sure my hair is all smoothed back, because I don't comb or brush. I don't towel dry and I apply Design Essential Hydrating leave in conditioner throughly through hair and ends and seal with Jojoba oil. I then take ends of hair and make sure it is straight and I flip it up straight and flat against the back of my head. I then tie with a satin wrap and then another satin scarf on top of that and let air dry over night. I then pull the back down in the morning and it is almost completely dry, but not hard or cruncy at all and it is smooth, shiny and soft. I then add Allways instant Oil Moisturizer to ends and surface of hair and seal with Jojoba oil. To style I just put my put a pretty clip on the back and tuck or swirl the ends around the clip so my ends aren't exposed, but yet they stay straight and not all bunched up with a scrunchie. My hair is so soft and smooth. I did this same regimen and stretched for 14 weeks and when I told people how long it had been since I had a relaxer they couldn't believe it. By the way I have 4b-zzz hair.

Hey, C, thanks so much for sharing your airdrying procedure. I have just finally found out that DC with Aveda DR intensive conditioner and rinsing in cold water makes my hair so smooth and soft, and I don't have to worry about hard, crunchy hair at all. Now, I if I use your tying method (you flip the bottom part of the hair UP, right?), I can keep the ends straight. When do you detangle, though? I've started using the Denman #3 after I blot the excess water in my hair, and before I put in my leave-ins and seal. Since you don't comb, how are you removing the shed hairs that eventually come out? Should I have PM'd you??? TIA :grin:

Blessed_Angel

I airdry my hair pretty often. I use the ponytail method. Though it takes longer to dry in the middle.
What I do is, in the summer, I let it dry in the ponytail, and twist the end to give it a little pull; that's gonna keep the ends straight (I have relaxed hair). I put my gloss pomade on my edges and leave-in conditioner (a volumizing one to get more body) to smooth the hair down. I then put a silk scarf on my head to centralize the heat from my head which will make it dry faster. When my hair dries, if I choose, I may flat iron it to smooth it out, or just leave it and rock a pontail with a swooped bang for a few days. I usually do this no later than a month after a relaxer. After a month, the roots are a bit too thick unless you use Jane Carter Nourish & Shine, which softens the new growth like a good texturizer.​

Creatividual

I airdry with Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer, BB Moisturizing Growth Lotion, and Vatika oil in a braid or 2 strand twist and tie a du rag scarf around my head. The result, is silky, shiny, smooth, hydrated hair. I wash my hair at night so in the morning, take my hair down, apply a lil more lotion and 2 drops of oil, and wear it up in fly hair accessory. Easy, breezy, beautiful, airdrying:grin: LOL.

devin

oooh I like this! Will have to try this rechnique on myself! Thanks!

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I always airdry, never thought about it until I read this thread. I wear my hair curly most of the time. When I started my transition I began airdrying, only using heat to straighten on occassion. Now I rarely do that. Low/no heat has changed my hair for the better.

Rapunzel2B

Hey Moroni,

Let me start by saying your hair is gorgeous!:yep: Now on to business: Yes, I flip it up and make sure the ends are smooth and flat against the back of my head. It dries straight. In the past when I tried to put a scrunchie or anything it was a mess and I just didn't like how it came out. Sorry I forgot to mention about detangling. Yes, I have to get rid of those shed hairs. I deep condition on dry hair, so I use a wide tooth comb and lots of moisturizer to make sure all the shed hairs are out before I deep condition. After deep conditioning I co-wash and then run a wide tooth comb through while hair is loaded with conditioner under a steady stream of running water. I know with some combing is a no-no, but this has been a real life saver for me. Once I started doing this no more knots and tangles and I was finally able to complete a 14 week stretch and could have easily gone longer. But removing shed hairs is the only time I comb. Otherwise, I never comb or brush for styling and I also don't comb for the first 8 weeks, after week 8 is when the knots and tangles show up if I don't remove shed hairs. It looks like I should have PM'd you. :grin:

Hey, C, thanks so much for sharing your airdrying procedure. I have just finally found out that DC with Aveda DR intensive conditioner and rinsing in cold water makes my hair so smooth and soft, and I don't have to worry about hard, crunchy hair at all. Now, I if I use your tying method (you flip the bottom part of the hair UP, right?), I can keep the ends straight. When do you detangle, though? I've started using the Denman #3 after I blot the excess water in my hair, and before I put in my leave-ins and seal. Since you don't comb, how are you removing the shed hairs that eventually come out? Should I have PM'd you??? TIA :grin:

sweetsuccess

What a wonderful thread!

I've airdried through it all (( relaxed, transition, & now natural ))... for over 2 yrs. :bouncy:

Now that I'm natural, I use a very simple method for soft, shiny, moisturized hair...

After my final rinse:

1) add leave in conditioner throughout (about 4-5 quarter sized amts of cheapie conditioner... right now, I
Suave balsam & protein or I'll use Awapuhi (sp?)

2) add homemade butter mix, section by section (shea/mango/coconut oil)
3) comb & smooth hair back into a ponytail (braid or twist the tail) or make a bun
4) Leave to airdry! I may cover/tie it down with a satin wrap if I want nice, smooth, shiny, uniformed waves.

---- about 2 or so hrs later, my hair is dry!

whatd you do to airdry wen u were relaxed.. im trying so hard not to use heat.. like today
i needed sum serious hellp...

this is my first week on the board.. n i was trying to do the wash n restrict from using my basic heat tools (blow dry and flat iron)... n i did the rollerset... which by the was a disaster..(i need rollersetting 101).. and i went under the dryer ... let the hair dry.. then sprayd a lil leave in and wrapped it then covered with saran wrap n went under the dryer... my hair was so ugly.. n i wudve had to flat iron it out... but since my roots were still nasty i started all over by cowashing... n now at this present time im sitting under the dryer with lil twist balls on my head doing a different attempt. n if this comes out ugly.. im just gona have to cowash tomorrow and blow dry n flat iron.......

are there any suggestions.. my hair length is in my siggy.. i dont know what else to do... i feel like blow drying and flat ironing is my best bet... but i wana do protective things.. but cant. i need help!!

my regimen today was:

prepoo with egg n olive oil with a cap for 20mins
shampoo with sunsilk hydra tlc (luv it!!!!)
conditioned with sunsilk hydra tlc (luv itt!!!)
deep conditioned with pantene deep penetrating mask with a cap for 30mins
washd out and rollerset with my own remedy of tea tree oil, lotta body setting lotion, and a vitamin e, aloe, and ttree oil mixture...
and before the silk wrap i used kenra light weight leave in

if there are any corrections or advice for me... plz help??

(i also switch my regimen from time to time n use kera care hydrating shampoo and humecto conditioning instead of the sunsilk)

TIA

sweetsuccess

I air dry hair 50%

Take two squirts of each of the following products

Kids Organics Shea Butter Deatngling Moisturizing Hair Lotion
Sunsilk 24/7 Creme Anti Poof ( Blue bottle)
Thermasilk Staright and Smooth Conditioner

Rub in hands and place in hair working from root to tip.

Part hair into three section one in the front and two in the back

Detangle with shower come and braid

Cover with satin bonnet/ scarf

and then do what.. flat iron it?!?

miami74

Wow, this sounds like a great way to airdry. I am going to try something similar. I want to incorporate more airdrying in my regimen and move away from always using the hooded dryer. Thanks for sharing this. :yep:

nichole21

This is such a great thread that I add to add to it. I'm the air dry queen. I don't use any heat anymore, so all my styles are the result of air drying.

-For curly styles- Air dry with a water based moisturizer (conditioner & curl cream for more definition.)
-For straight styles- I wrap my wet hair and let it air dry overnight
-For big puffy styles "Big Hair"- air dry with no restraint, just a touch of a creamy moisturizer
-I also air dry in buns or braids (two French braids)
-Also for a rollerset, I wrap like mentioned above and add rollers the next day

I will definitely try some of the styles mentioned here!

Last edited:

lilsparkle825

this is a wonderful thread. subscribing!

when i transitioned i airdried my buns a lot...now that i am natural i always airdry my WNGs. i can make a puff and i airdry that, smoothing the edges with the method in Chicoro's fotki (even though i wont be wearing my puff for at least another month!) now all i use in my hair is cheapie conditioner, like suave tropical coconut or VO5 strawberries and creme, although i am looking into NTM products.

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
It took me a long time to figure out why my air dry wasn't working as well in England as it was in the US! It's because I wasn't using heat with my conditioners. Now that I have, my airdry turns out great.

On wet hair I put it into a ponytail with the ends in (I tried 10-15 times to bun and it never worked), applied Aveda Anti-humectant, and put a scarf over it. It takes about 2 1/2 days to dry that way, but it's straight, NOT puffy, the ends aren't messed up, and it stays moisturized for days.

Energist

I have been airdrying for the past 3 or 4 months now and it has served my hair well.

For my rollerset air drying, I make sure that the water is very cool for my last rinse and then while hair is soaking wet put a good leave in as well as infusium in the hair. I also put an end sealing serum on which makes my ends silky smooth and hydrated when I take the rollerset out.

For my braid out air drying I use Giovanni products and well case closed :lol: No, but for now I'm finding that Giovanni has been giving me the best moisturized results from top to bottom. I didn't have the same type of hydration using other products.

Also since doing air drying braidouts my hair has thickened up and is growing out a bit faster.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I have been airdrying for the past 3 or 4 months now and it has served my hair well.

For my rollerset air drying, I make sure that the water is very cool for my last rinse and then while hair is soaking wet put a good leave in as well as infusium in the hair. I also put an end sealing serum on which makes my ends silky smooth and hydrated when I take the rollerset out.

For my braid out air drying I use Giovanni products and well case closed :lol: No, but for now I'm finding that Giovanni has been giving me the best moisturized results from top to bottom. I didn't have the same type of hydration using other products.

Also since doing air drying braidouts my hair has thickened up and is growing out a bit faster.

I love airdrying with braidouts. I've been doing a lot of them while I continue my final weeks of a 4-month stretch and it's helping out tremendously. My hair takes forever to dry, though. I might try a cool rinse for my final rinse and see how that works. My hair could take two days easy to dry.:ohwell:

Energist

I love airdrying with braidouts. I've been doing a lot of them while I continue my final weeks of a 4-month stretch and it's helping out tremendously. My hair takes forever to dry, though. I might try a cool rinse for my final rinse and see how that works. My hair could take two days easy to dry.:ohwell:

2 days? Is this because of all of your new growth absorbing a lot of water?

hurricane

I've been on a rollerset kick for the past few months but I use to airdry exclusively.

This is usually what I did..

-Apply creamy moisturizer to wet hair
-Wait till its 50% dry then smooth back into a loose ponytail
-Apply a holding gel to my edges
-Tie scraf down (sometimes I release the ponytail so its dries hangin down)
-After its dried I bump the tail with my steam rollers.

When you smooth your hair back do use a comb or brush? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

unique4lyfe33

I wash my hair w/ ayurveda powders and then conditioned. Put it in a bun and I then put a scarf on to lie it down. my hair cones out soft and not brittle or hard at all:yep: