How can I airdry properly?

*KP*

I've tried airdrying after both washing and cowashing and my (relaxed) hair is always left dry and brittle if I just airdry loose or in a ponytail. The middle in particular (where my hair is thickest) causes the most problems.

When I airdried on flexirods using the exact same products, my hair was super soft.

To those who airdry regularly, how do you make sure your hair stays well moisturized?

My regimen:
Wash with Keracare shampoo for Dry & itchy scalp
Aphogee 2min reconstructor
Deep condition with Keracare Humecto
Infusium 23 moisturology leave-in on soaking wet hair
Keracare leave in on almost dry hair (not everytime but the last few times)
Jojoba oil or Keracare essential oils to seal

I do not vary my regimen very much apart from when I need to clarify. My hair feels great if I use some form of heat or air dry on flexirods. I'd like to be able to cowash more often but unless I can get this airdrying thing down I won't have the time.

sound

Maybe you need something a bit more moisturizing if the Keracare isn't cutting it. Or maybe try a heavier moisturizer.

Aveena

I also think your problem is the kera care leave in... you may want to play around with some others. I like anyone of the following for leave ins:

Sunsilk
Redkens All Soft
Gardnier Fruitis

*KP*

Maybe you need something a bit more moisturizing if the Keracare isn't cutting it. Or maybe try a heavier moisturizer.

The Keracare/Aphogee combination seems to work well on my hair unless I air dry with my hair out or in a ponytail. I'm open to trying something heavier the times I want to airdry. Do you have any recommendations? How do you all airdry and stay so moisturized?

Aveena

I've been airdrying since Jan 2008. I do not start with soaking wet hair. I try to remove as much water as possible then add my leave ins to my damp hair. I am relaxed 80%.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
This is from an old thread:
(I think many people go wrong with air drying because they towel their hair or squeeze the excess water out--I think NOT doing this is a great contributor to my airdrying success)

*I air dry my hair hanging straight down, dripping wet right out of the shower. I do not use a towel to blot my hair. I do not squeeze the excess water out at all. The weight of the water pulling on the hair during the air drying is what helps it to dry so smoothly.

--Oh, I also wrap a towel around my waist to keep water from getting all over the floor!

*After combing through under the shower head after rinsing final conditioner, I step out of the shower and apply leave-in conditioner.

*Then I comb through/detangle my hair again in about 8 sections that are hanging down. When I am done with this I have half my hair hanging over my left shoulder and half hanging over the right shoulder. I go on about my business.

*If I'm at home then about every 30 minutes to an hour, I comb through my hair gently. Remember, my hair is already detangled. At about this time, I also move my hair from over my shoulders and let it flow down my back. If you are doing something and you don't want your hair down your back (like sitting on the couch and you don't want your hair touching the back of the couch) it's okay to swing all of your hair over one shoulder.

*When the hair is about 80-90% dry, apply your oils or serum or whatever.

*Putting the hair in a bun for a few hours or overnight (AFTER it is mostly dry) will make it even smoother, and it will make the ends look better. If you haven’t heard me “say” it before, air dried ends look pitiful. Don’t trim on a whim because of it!

*KP*

Thanks Supergirl, I will try again with that method and see the results. At first I thought it was shampoo drying me out so I tried after a cowash but got the same results.

I also think your problem is the kera care leave in... you may want to play around with some others. I like anyone of the following for leave ins:

Sunsilk
Redkens All Soft
Gardnier Fruitis

Thanks Demi, I have tried both with and without the Keracare leave in with the same results. I have been looking for an amazing creamy leave-in and I have heard great things about Redken All Soft so I will give it a go.

So do all you ladies airdry with your hair straight down?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I used to have problems with airdrying. This is what helped me:

After washing and conditioning, section your hair into four parts. One part at a time, apply a light conditioner, comb or brush through, then braid or twist it up. Do this for all 4 parts. Let it airdry. Once dry, unravel, lightly apply leave-in and style your hair how you want it.

wheezy807

Hey Special K,
Your culprit could also be the infusium23 moisturologie leave in. Even though it says moisturologie i still think it contains protein. Don't get me wrong, i use it too for my regimen. I actually love this stuff, for some odd reason it helps me trendulously with my tangles. Anyway, i follow up with ntm leave in. It also help greatly to apply your leave in in sections if your not doing that already. My hair drys somewhat moisturized but i usually follow up with my ORS olive oil in a jar. I also airdry in a bun, it's just easier. Every blue moon i'll do a rollerset. HTH.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Hey Special K,
Your culprit could also be the infusium23 moisturologie leave in. Even though it says moisturologie i still think it contains protein. Don't get me wrong, i use it too for my regimen. I actually love this stuff, for some odd reason it helps me trendulously with my tangles. Anyway, i follow up with ntm leave in. It also help greatly to apply your leave in in sections if your not doing that already. My hair drys somewhat moisturized but i usually follow up with my ORS olive oil in a jar. I also airdry in a bun, it's just easier. Every blue moon i'll do a rollerset. HTH.
I agree. I've airdried with Infusium23 leave-in before and my hair felt really dry after it dried, even when I used moisturizer. Try airdrying with a moisturizing conditioner or leave-in. Aussie Moist Conditioner worked for me. ;)

butterfly_wings

Hi Special K

I think you need to tie your hair down like with a scarf, or bun your hair or plait the end, I find when I air-dry me hair loose it is a mess but when I do one of these it is fine, also she butter on damp hair is really nice

*KP*

Thanks for all your responses ladies, I will try some of these suggestions next wash and report back

Kimiche

Sunsilk
Redkens All Soft
Gardnier Fruitis

I agree. I tried it before and my hair ended up feeling very dry. I also wasn't pleased with the fact that it contains mineral oil in it.

RedVelvet310

I ALWAYS airdry in twists (I'm a 4a/3c natural), and I always seal my hair (when wet) with Castor Oil. If I airdry my hair out or in a pony tail its really dry and really brittle like how you explained.. Air drying in twists has helped me a lot. HTH

*KP*

I think my problem was I wasn't sectionning my hair properly. I applied deep conditioner with a relaxer brush today and am pooing overnight and will see what happens in the morning. It aleady feels a lot better. I will also section better when applying my serum & leave in and see how the airdry comes along tomorrow.

*KP*

Update....I've started putting a creamy moisturizer (ORS Olive Oil Hair Lotion) on wet hair before the jojoba/keracare essential oils then air drying in 2 pony tails or 2 braids. It is working really well, my hair is really well moisturised

PreciousPearl

I've tried airdrying after both washing and cowashing and my (relaxed) hair is always left dry and brittle if I just airdry loose or in a ponytail. The middle in particular (where my hair is thickest) causes the most problems.

When I airdried on flexirods using the exact same products, my hair was super soft.

To those who airdry regularly, how do you make sure your hair stays well moisturized?

My regimen:
Wash with Keracare shampoo for Dry & itchy scalp
Aphogee 2min reconstructor
Deep condition with Keracare Humecto
Infusium 23 moisturology leave-in on soaking wet hair
Keracare leave in on almost dry hair (not everytime but the last few times)
Jojoba oil or Keracare essential oils to seal

I do not vary my regimen very much apart from when I need to clarify. My hair feels great if I use some form of heat or air dry on flexirods. I'd like to be able to cowash more often but unless I can get this airdrying thing down I won't have the time.
I was having the same problem using Infusium 23. I now dilute Infusium 23 with distilled water and apply to wet hair. When my hair is about 80% dry I apply NTM.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
(I think many people go wrong with air drying because they towel their hair or squeeze the excess water out--I think NOT doing this is a great contributor to my airdrying success)

*I air dry my hair hanging straight down, dripping wet right out of the shower. I do not use a towel to blot my hair. I do not squeeze the excess water out at all. The weight of the water pulling on the hair during the air drying is what helps it to dry so smoothly.

--Oh, I also wrap a towel around my waist to keep water from getting all over the floor!

*After combing through under the shower head after rinsing final conditioner, I step out of the shower and apply leave-in conditioner.

*Then I comb through/detangle my hair again in about 8 sections that are hanging down. When I am done with this I have half my hair hanging over my left shoulder and half hanging over the right shoulder. I go on about my business.

*If I'm at home then about every 30 minutes to an hour, I comb through my hair gently. Remember, my hair is already detangled. At about this time, I also move my hair from over my shoulders and let it flow down my back. If you are doing something and you don't want your hair down your back (like sitting on the couch and you don't want your hair touching the back of the couch) it's okay to swing all of your hair over one shoulder.

*Putting the hair in a bun for a few hours or overnight (AFTER it is mostly dry) will make it even smoother, and it will make the ends look better. If you haven’t heard me “say” it before, air dried ends look pitiful. Don’t trim on a whim because of it!

This is how I've always air dried my hair.

Lady Esquire

For the longest time, I was airdrying so wrong! And it was causing matting and dreds and tangles...the works. It caused all sorts of breakage. Then late last year, I started experimenting and learned all of those tips you mentioned thru trial and error...in other words, the HARD way.
I 100% cosign with this post, because ever since I finally figured it out, my hair airdried hair dries drama free!

Also, the comment about airdried ends looking horrible is an extremely significant point. So much so, I beleive wholeheartedly this is why stylists feel compelled to trim off perfectly healthy ends, because they APPEAR pitiful. I lost a lot inches early on, constantly snipping what appeared to be unhealthy. Since I figured this out, I have not had a major trim in almost a year.

Last edited: