You Adore LongHairDontCare's Results, but Are You Willing to Adopt Her Regimen?

No, most AA women would just relax their hair or weave it up when they dont know what to do with it from what I've seen at least. She also does cornrows and braids with her own hair as opposed to braids with extensions so I think that may be a reason for it.

People do crochet braids with all kinds of hair this is done with freetress loose deep I like the fact that this girl used a beader to do her crochet braids they scare me less then the latch-hook lol:giggle: I'm seriously obsessed with crochet braids now...its such a great way to protective style while still looking polished and cute.

This is another variation of crochet braids where people get the look of individual braids in a shorter period of time and way less manipulation....which I love!:grin:

You can also do them to look like a fro

i know i've dug this post up...:spinning: but i was just thinking about this method.

...goodness, i'd love to adopt lhdc's reggie but i have an itchy scalp in which i'd have to poo every 2-3 days. i don't know how i could benefit from her reggie.

yeah IF i could braid my hair well I would do this, so far I'm only good enough to do about 4 cornows :( and then I can't get the angle right >_< and the rest look AWFULL, but hopefully with practice I will get better.

I would!!

I already love cornrows and wigs.. cowash 2-3 times while they are in for a month. I'm down.

Awesome that you made this thread!
I'm thinking in braiding my hair for PS and less manipulation. I'm thinking in using french braids (2) in each side of my head adding sintetic hair and i'm planning on do this the whole week and at the end of the week i will be DC and washing my hair properly. I will still moisturizing daily i don't noe if i'm gonna do this all the time (i got bored easily) but i will do my best to attach to it =)

Maybe when i got more handy doing bradis (i'm learning) i will do cornrows and flat twist to change my style and not get bored =)
Yesterday i tryed to make the 2 braids in my hair but still too short to braid in that way :(

^ Thats okay Taina dont feel bad...honestly, at your length I don't think you have to worry about protective styling like this just yet. I would get into long term PS when my hair exceeded SL and I needed a break:yep:

Great hair, but nope, can't adopt that regimen. My natural hair is so soft, my cornrows are done within a week. Frizzy and unraveling. I recently went through this when I first had my hand surgery, I looked rough!

Thanks for this thread, OP! I have been studying LHDC2011's regggie since last year. Each time I watch one of her vids, I pick up on some valuable information that I could consider using in my hair care, too. I like that she's not too product oriented, but more about methods and procedures. I'm so glad that she shares what works for her with others like me who strongly admire what results she's been able to achieve over the past six years. We all have to be in touch with our own differences and unique hair needs. What works for her may or may not work for the rest of us, but she certainly serves up a lot of tips, techniques, methods that bear checking into. I love her hair, and truly admire that she has been able to gain great growth and health thru natural hair care.

Just finished putting in my cornrows with extensions. I am trying to keep these in for the next 4- 6 weeks and I am looking forward to the hair break. Oh wait, y'all thought I was playin'? :lachen:

Attachments

• Braids Back View.jpg
    Braids Back View.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 70
At first when I started reading this thread yesterday I thought no, I wouldn't be able to do her reggie, but then I thought about it. I do like to wash my hair every few days, which she does in braids. I could try just cleansing my scalp. No, I can't braid but I can learn. I really like the crochet braids and it looks easy enough to do, the hardest part for me would be the cornrows. I have a 4 inch twa but after transitioning for 8.5 months I'm ready for a break, and I worry about manipulating my hair so much. I would really like to PS it for the winter because my hair and scalp are drying out so much. We'll see though. First I have to get up the nerve to blowdry my hair and begin practicing the cornrows. Then I have to see how long I can go without washing my hair as I don't see how you can do it with the crochet braids. But as another poster said, it doesn't hurt to try. If I don't like it I can go back to what I'm doing. Or I might just learn to flat twist my hair and wear a wig until June!

Leaving one's hair alone has to be the oldest, truest way to see the best results. My hair reached amazing lengths when I had locs. Why? I left it alone for the most part.

Thats why I keep my hair in extension styles for the most part. My hair is stylish, while being protected. And it grows just fine.

My issue is having thin hair (low density). I dont think I'll ever have thick lush hair. It will always be whispy.

But yeah, just leave it alone until it reaches the length you really want

Hey BMP! Girl I already adopted that type of Reggie, I have been wearing cornrows under wigs for 6 and a half Months now, and I don't take them down to wash but every 4 to 6 weeks, this is only while I'm stretching though, but in any case, its working for Me and I don't care what anyone thinks, this is how I actually got the length I started here with, unbeknownst to Me tho, I got sick while I had a Wig-Cap on, and I could'nt do anything to My hair but have someone remove the cap, but the braids were in for, Only Who Knows how long and Honey, when I was well enough to take them out, I was Blasted with length I've never seen before in My Life. As We speak, I have cornrows in, but I just did these about a Week and a Half ago, but I tell You what, they will not come out for at least another 4 or 5 Weeks, I do have a really Nice, Long Session when I do take them down, I DC furiously, and pamper, pamper, pamper, cause I do miss that, Lol! But I plan to relax in the Spring and I will be sure to post My progress.

Last edited:
Hey BMP! Girl I already adopted that type of Reggie, I have been wearing cornrows under wigs for 6 and a half Months now, and I don't take them down to wash but every 4 to 6 weeks, this is only while I'm stretching though, but in any cse, its working for Me and I don't care what anyone thinks, this is how I actually got the length I started here with, unbeknownst to Me tho, I got sick while I had a Wig-Cap on, and I could'nt do anything to My hair but have someone remove the cap, buit the braids were in for, Only Who Knows how long and Honey, when I was well enough to take them out, I was Blasted with length I've never seen before in My Life. As We speak, I have cornrows in, but I just did these about a Week and a Half ago, but I tell You what, they will not come out for at least another 4 or 5 Weeks, I do have a really Nice, Long Sessions when I do take them down, I DC furiously, and pamper, pamper, pamper, cause I do miss that, Lol! But I plan to relax in the Spring and I will be sure to post My progress.

Great post and please do post some update pics! :yep:

Is there another place to pic up the Dred Spring Bulk Hair instead of at the site posted? You have to buy 4 packs of it minimum there.

I have a friend I would like to help her with her hair and this would be very beneficial but she doesn't need 4 packs of hair and 9.99 a pop. 1-2 packs at the most.

I wish I could. Her regimen seems simple and easy. If I left my hair in in braids that long I might as well decide to loc it. My hair matts and knots if I leave it alone for just a week. After a month I would probably rip out what progress I made trying to undo the braids. I am going to loc one day because that is what my hair really wants to do and I spend most of my time trying to prevent it.

I wish I could. Her regimen seems simple and easy. If I left my hair in in braids that long I might as well decide to loc it. My hair matts and knots if I leave it alone for just a week. After a month I would probably rip out what progress I made trying to undo the braids. I am going to loc one day because that is what my hair really wants to do and I spend most of my time trying to prevent it.

You know what may be helping Me with this stretching process, I oil my hair in the cornrows, often, I also oil them with Castor Oil right before the take down process, that may make it easier to un-do!

Yes, I'm adapting her regimen for this year with some changes :yep:.
-My hair will be in kinky twists extensions for the whole year so I'll have to blow dry before getting them installed. I only flat iron to trim.
- I'll wash my hair twice a month while cleansing my scalp with rosewater and witch hazel dipped cotton balls in between.
-I'll moisturize and seal as usual using two spray bottles (one with conditioner the other with oil)
I think her regimen helps prevent ssk and split ends by keeping the hair stretched and in protective styles without having to manipulate it in it's fragile shrunken state.

No I wouldn't because I couldn't wear cornrows for so much time. Especially now that I'm looking for a job. Also, I couldn't go so long without washing my hair. Also, I love the size of her twists, nice and big and easy and not stressful to do. But it wouldn't look right on my hair length.

I think the biggest key is any low manipulation regimen and gentle care of the hair when it's not in a protective style.

I just checked out your photo albums. Your hair gorgeous!! :yep::yep:

No, I don't think I'd be willing to adopt this regimen.

I spent most of my life barely washing my hair, and now that I'm on my HHJ, washing and deep conditioning is my favorite part of taking care of my hair. I've worn braids and weaves for the past 13 years, and I never retained any length until I stepped up the cleansing and DC.

I've been wearing braids for the past year (re-doing them once a month), and I went from SL to APL-ish in 5 months while co-washing every 3 days. This routine works for me.

My scalp does better with frequent washing, and it's more hygenic, IMO. I've grown to like the feeling of always having fresh, clean hair, and my man likes it too.

I am on the hunt for a new protective style, so I will go through this thread for tips and ideas. I still don't understand what crochet braids are, so I'll watch the video links in the OP, and maybe that can be my new style. Thanks for the info, BlackMasterPiece. :)

No, I don't think I'd be willing to adopt this regimen.

I spent most of my life barely washing my hair, and now that I'm on my HHJ, washing and deep conditioning is my favorite part of taking care of my hair. I've worn braids and weaves for the past 13 years, and I never retained any length until I stepped up the cleansing and DC.

I've been wearing braids for the past year (re-doing them once a month), and I went from SL to APL-ish in 5 months while co-washing every 3 days. This routine works for me.

My scalp does better with frequent washing, and it's more hygenic, IMO. I've grown to like the feeling of always having fresh, clean hair, and my man likes it too.

I am on the hunt for a new protective style, so I will go through this thread for tips and ideas. I still don't understand what crochet braids are, so I'll watch the video links in the OP, and maybe that can be my new style. Thanks for the info, BlackMasterPiece. :)
^ If you take a look at the update in the original post, she said she frequently washes her hair in the cornrows so thats not integral to her reggie

Just finished putting in my cornrows with extensions. I am trying to keep these in for the next 4- 6 weeks and I am looking forward to the hair break. Oh wait, y'all thought I was playin'? :lachen:
Congrats cheri!!:clapping:....they look lovely.

I always wonder when people say that their hair would mat from leaving it in canerows or braids for 4+ weeks, like, for real?? This can't be with oiling the scalp and moisturising the hair ends.

Long before I started my HHJ I would keep canerow styles for weeks and weeks oiling often (well technically I was applying grease then), and takedown was a breeze :yep: no matting or tangling... Now even with washing regularly, as long as the hair is moisturised and oiled which I always ensure it is, I never have matting issues on takedown, but each head is different so...

I oil my hair in the cornrows, often, I also oil them with Castor Oil right before the take down process, that may make it easier to un-do!

I always oil my hair before taking down plaits/twists/canerows now, and it is great, this is a good tip for anyone with highly textured hair new to these kind of protective styles.

Last edited:
^ If you take a look at the update in the original post, she said she frequently washes her hair in the cornrows so thats not integral to her reggie
The update said she washes 2-3 times a month, which--IMO--is not frequent. I wash 2-3 times a week, which doesn't qualify as a low-manipulation regimen.

I always wonder when people say that their hair would mat from leaving it in canerows or braids for 4+ weeks, like, for real?? This can't be with oiling the scalp and moisturising the hair ends.

My haid def. matted with cornrolls after 4+. I did not oil my scalp.

Isn't this what many moms do for their little girls? Low manipulation, in its many variations, works.

I don't know how to cornrow and my dd1s hair is soft so I twist it up and keep it in for at least a week. If it looks nice, I might let her go for a second week. DD2's hair is in the 4 range and once it get's a little longer, I will be trying to (or paying someone to) cornrow and leave it alone.

Shoot, I know my hair grew the longest when I was pregnant, too lazy and in pain to do much to it but throw it in a bun. I literally went days without doing anything to it. When I got my hair done the first time after both girls were born, it was waistlength. It looked kinda bad but knowing what I know now, I could have done search and destroys and had the WL great looking hair I am seeking now.

Well this style (crochet Braids) must be hot cuz after reading this thread yesterday I got a notion to experiment and see if I can do this.

I can't braid to save my life but this is the first style that I figured was really easy and I used to make those little latch hook rugs back in the day.

I went to Michaels to buy a latch hook and the kits were there but all the latch hooks were sold out.

I'm gonna try this style on someone else when I get one.

She has beautiful hair - that is for sure! However, I personally would not be willing to adopt this regimen. The reason being is because I've decided that extremely long hair isn't my goal anymore. I'd like to have between sl and apl natural hair and reason being I would want it that long is acommodate the shrinkage factor, lol. I want to wear my hair out in wash n gos, eventually use colour as gray slowly takes over my head, lol and genreally just enjoy my hair.

Her method is great, and will def work, but for me it's a little extreme. I would def consider it if I was really adamant about growing and retaining really, really long hair.

The update said she washes 2-3 times a month, which--IMO--is not frequent. I wash 2-3 times a week, which doesn't qualify as a low-manipulation regimen.
I personally think it would still be effective even if you washed as often as you do now...as long as the hair remained in braids......oh well to each her own:yep:

I can't do it.

That style IMO is not professional and I just dont really like the "straight back" look.

Her hair is beautiful though
I could never walk around in cornrows either did you read the end of the OP? I suggested a style based on cornrows that still looks "done", pretty much any style based on cornrows will work like weves wig reggies or even extensions like braids twists etc....as long as its long term low manipulation.....not that I'm tryna convince you...just wanted to clarify.

Well this style (crochet Braids) must be hot cuz after reading this thread yesterday I got a notion to experiment and see if I can do this.

I can't braid to save my life but this is the first style that I figured was really easy and I used to make those little latch hook rugs back in the day.

I went to Michaels to buy a latch hook and the kits were there but all the latch hooks were sold out.

I'm gonna try this style on someone else when I get one.
Me too!!:meme: I'm doing this style on my mom hopefully by tonight. I have to go get a trim, which I'll do by tomorrow by the end of this week my hair will be in crochet braids as well and I plan to leave them in for the first month of the spring semester:yep:

Back