You Adore LongHairDontCare's Results, but Are You Willing to Adopt Her Regimen?

I wish i could do this but i just can't. I know it works though, in school this girl used to have medium large canerows and she would leave them in 4 like 6 months. The canerows were close to dreading, maaaan her scalp was full of dry scalp there were flakes flaking every where, but her hair was long.

Last edited:
I love her hair it is absolutely gorgeous. But that regimen would never work for me. I haven't had cornrows in my hair since I was forced to have them as a child. And I vowed never again once I was able to do my own hair. I'm also the type that has to wash every 3 days or i'd end up with some serious shedding and matting. It just goes to show that what clearly works for one doesn't work for all. And as a result she has beautiful hair and the cornrows looks really cute on her.

I had it done at the salon. She used Dred Spring hair. MSA found a link to buy the hair on-line. BRB.

ETA - this is the hair: http://www.lfhair.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=17292

I was foolish enough to wash my hair the very next day and I nearly died(http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=9112216#post9112216)

They held up great with weekly washing and a bit of gel on the edges. I had to show family members and friends over the holidays that it was weave and NOT my hair. That was the first time in life that I had to prove that my hair WAS weave.:lachen:

It looked great up until the end too. I had a meeting at work on 12/14 (install was 10/17) and a few coworkers asked if it was my new install. I told them no, it was the same hair from 10/17.:grin: It looks better with time, at least the twisted crochet braids. I never tried any other kind.

What kind of hair did you use? I really love this how often did you wash with them in and how'd they hold up?

Its adorable hun....so creative and cute!:yep:

Last edited:
This is funny that you started this thread. I just took out my individuals that I had in for 5 weeks (tried to push it to 8..but I could barely make it to 5), and I was thinking about her hair (.....sounds stalkerish...:look:) and was thinking of trying out her regimen---braids and 1xmonth shampoo. Her hair is my ultimate dream (and you too BMP). I need to research diff. cornrow styles to mix it up.

I don't think that my scalp could take 4 whole weeks without cleansing, but I'm gonna experiment and try to push it to 2 weeks. I wish I figured out the simple concept of low manipulation and moisture 5 years ago. It's really so simple it makes me wanna :wallbash: myself. I've been on this forum for 2 years and even still the light bulb has only recently come on.

I decided to do something like this for the next 6 months but im going to wash my hair atleast twice a month. I cant do cornrows that long, so i am going to wear kinky twist or micro braids.

I'm sure her regimen works for her, but I could never (relaxed or natural) wait 4 weeks to wash my hair. I'm sure my scalp would stink LOL Her hair is beautiful and I didn't think her regimen was too much.

I am doing an abbreviated version of her regime. My hair is cornrowed but I tried doing a weave again. Just had it installed this weekend. The stylist did not do it too tight like the first weave I tried months ago and had to take out. I will probably get 3 months of wear out of this install. Not sure about the not washing business but we shall see......

Her hair is stunning, but no, I wouldn't do it.

I need to have my hair out. I just do.:lol: I start feenin after a week of having my hair in twists.

I do like that she blowdries her hair before braiding. I always start out with blowdried hair when twisting, and my hair is doing fine.:yep:

Thank you very much for starting this thread BMP. I can see myself doing this for the next two years in an effort to make MBL. This would be easy for me, but I would need to use extensions and I couldn't go a whole month w/o washing my hair, as washing and DC'ing are essential parts of my regimen.

I notice alot of people bringing up the washing portion. I don't think the washing part is pivotal to getting her results...as long as its long-term low/no manipulation (like only redoing hair once a month) then I think you're good and on the right track:yep:

Just wanted to add--the crochet braids definitely help with retention. My hair GREW and I retained every inch. Wouldn't mind trying it again, as I was able to achieve BSL quickly with them, but the lady who used to braid my hair now has carpal tunnel, and I haven't found anyone else I fully trust for that style.
I'm so excited to give them a try!:yahoo:

Her hair is very nice. BlackMasterPiece, do you straighten your hair before you do a straw set?
I didn't for the one in my siggy but in the future I would DEFINITELY blowdry my hair before doing a straw set:yep:

I wish i could do this but i just can't. I know it works though, in school this girl used to have medium large canerows and she would leave them in 4 like 6 months. The canerows were close to dreading, maaaan her scalp was full of dry scalp there were flakes flaking every where, but her hair was long.
I think you can retain just as much length by washing the braids however often you like:yep: the key is keeping the hair stationary and detangled in braids for extended periods.

Theres this member here that has a reggie similar to this with her wigs. She rebraids every three weeks and cowashes them moisturizes and seals with oil like every 3 days. She doesn't mind the fact that the braids get fuzzy because no ones seeing them and her hair s WL I didnt save that posters fotki sadly:ohwell:

I decided to do something like this for the next 6 months but im going to wash my hair atleast twice a month. I cant do cornrows that long, so i am going to wear kinky twist or micro braids.
I think thats an awesome gameplan:yep: you're keepin it protected!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1vbV4NPQdI

bmp after seeing this video I *have* to have this! I'm going to Jamaica next week too and was wondering what kind of style to do. These yarn braids are coming out tonight!
Girl you're just like me right now I looooved this one sooo cute and her hair is chillin in braids underneath....I love it.

I never knew how cute crochet braids were untill I stumbled upon them a coupla days ago and now I'm completely in love:love2:

Last edited:
this is another reason why i'm on the hunt for a good blow dryer. I have been braided up for a long time however I want to take the braids out every 4-6 weeks wash &b blow dry and braid back up. I will co wash in between.
are you laides blow drying then braiding?

Her regimen is pretty much what I planned on doing this year. Currently I have my hair in crochet braids (which I LUV :grin:), and I plan on keeping them in for a month, then redoing them. I don't particularly wash them but I do spray my scalp with a water and conditioner mix, and follow that with a water rinse.

Last edited:
I don't think it's necessary not wash your hair but I can see the low manipulation. The ladies in the Twist and Growth challenge are doing her regime except they are washing their hair. Those here who want waist length hair will get there without doing her extreme program.

Until you ladies posted it, I didn't know her regimen, though I'd already subscribed to her channel and watched several of her vids. Oddly, I've been doing the same thing for almost 4 mos now myself (keeping hair braided for a month, only washing after taking them down and before rebraiding). So, essentially, I go about a month between washes as well. I don't exercise, and I spritz with water, S-Curl, leave in, and moisturize and seal my ends a few times a week, just to keep my hair from getting too dry in between washes. My hair has grown significantly.

The only difference between my regi and hers is that I don't blow-dry before braiding (to keep down breakage at demarcation line, I just braid while damp), and I wear a LF or wig over my braids when I leave the house. Other than that, its the same (besides products, of course). Also, I'm not yet fully natural, but transitioning (about 6 mos in). I am definitely gonna stay on this regi now that I know she follows a very similar one! LOL...so the answer is YES, I am willing to adopt her regi...I already did unknowingly months ago.

ETA: Low manip is what my hair loves...I have dry skin and scalp as well (worse in winter) so I don't like to wash my hair too much anyway! I don't consider her methods "extreme," rather she is just doing what works for her. People need to stop being so judgmental...it's not "extreme" to go a month without shampooing your hair (think of the millions of ladies who wear braided extensions & who don't always wash, & who wear the braids for a few months) or fusion extensions(where you can't wash for a while after initial application). Get a grip.

Last edited:
I know a lady who didn't wash her hair for 6 weeks(braids) and her hair stunk like crazy. I had to tell her cousin to tell her to wash her hair. How do you know if your hair isn't smelling?

I have had a somewhat similar reggie myself for the past several years. :yep: I do co-wash maybe 1x per week or 1x per 10 days let's say... but I don't have any hard and fast rules about when I wash. If my scalp feels dirty, I know what to do.

But I have kept my hair in either cornrows or C&G braids for roughly a month at at time for at least the past 2 years... maybe 2.5 years. I might have a wig on top of the cornrows, or I might wear extended cornrow braids... but the low manipulation aspect is similar.

I don't blow dry, though. I braid my hair damp.

I am in love with the latch hook styles! :gorgeous: I may be doing this for my next protective style. What I will need to do, though, is commit to using my blow dryer to make certain my cornrows get thoroughly dry when I wash... otherwise the funky sour smell issue may rear its ugly head.

I'd try it if I had access to an awesome braider here. Her styles are cute. I'd have to use witch hazel or something to clean my scalp if I tried to go 4 weeks with out washing. I'm currently doing Crown and Glory for the first time so I'm washing weekly. After only 2 weeks I'm already seeing some growth. I plan on keeping my current individual braids in for 10-12 weeks then starting over again.

I just got a message from Longhairdontcare:
natural 6 yrs

I do wash in braids 2-3x per month in braids. I DON'T wash more than 1x per month if I am NOT braided. Reason? don't have to use a dryer when my hair is braided so I can wash as much as I want. The whole reason for washing 1x per month is because I always blowdry and I need to avoid heat damage as much as possible.

So there it is she does wash here hair she just doesn't wash it loose for convienience and to cut heat damage. I guess as we all said the key is low manipulation especially with cornrows that are accessible for regular scalp care.

Last edited:
She also wanted to say thank you for all the kind words she is a member here just not an active member. she will be making another video about regimen etc..stay tuned

Her hair is awesome!
Shoot, my regimen is pretty similar already! I'm shooting for full WL and hopefully grazing HL by the end of this year.
The low manipulation is perfect because I'm over hair right now and don't feel like doing much with it.

Luv luv luv her hair. I think Im all about the KISS routine but I dont do braids I keep my hair in twist. I usually keep them in for 2-4wks at a time and I have to wash my hair daily or every other day because I work out and sweat like a man. Really no ill effects and I have been doing this since June 09. I plan on keeping my hair twisted until I feel like my hair is to the point where I can handle it out for a few days at a time. Plus I like the ease of my hair being in twist. I dont use heat and havent since last Jan. so I plan on staying away from heat as long as possible. Hopefully in 7yrs I will be where she is...but dang I dont want to wait that long!!!

wooooooooooowwwwww ur hair has grown! lookin good!
:blush: THANKS!
You have some show stopping hair missy!! It always looks amazing, whats the reggie love?

Thank you!

My reggie is pretty simple
Cowash whenever i want (could be 5 times a week, could be 1 time a week)
Wash with poo maybe once a month
Mostly rock twistouts and buns
Flatiron once a month
I never ever comb my hair while it's dry. Truthfully i rarely comb it at all, only on wash/cowash days
:)

Luv luv luv her hair. I think Im all about the KISS routine but I dont do braids I keep my hair in twist. I usually keep them in for 2-4wks at a time and I have to wash my hair daily or every other day because I work out and sweat like a man. Really no ill effects and I have been doing this since June 09. I plan on keeping my hair twisted until I feel like my hair is to the point where I can handle it out for a few days at a time. Plus I like the ease of my hair being in twist. I dont use heat and havent since last Jan. so I plan on staying away from heat as long as possible. Hopefully in 7yrs I will be where she is...but dang I dont want to wait that long!!!

Your hair is so pretty! I want to try and wear twists for a week. I may give it a go very soon.

Back