How do you feel about wrapping your hair

• Wrapping is good for the hair

Votes: 160 53.2%
  • Wrapping is not good for the hair

Votes: 141 46.8%

• Total voters

blackbarbie

asubeauty said:
I tried other ways of tying up my hair at night, and nothing but wrapping ever worked for me. I just loosely wrap my hair, put one of those mesh wrap things around it, and put a satin bonnet on top. If the bonnet isn't too big, I just put the bonnet on and don't use the mesh thing at all.

This has worked better for me than any other method. I don't have any thinning now, so I think that maybe when I did have thinning, it was because I was wearing my scarf too tight or something.

This is what i do as well. I have always wrapped with no adverse reactions, however, I did notice (thank God I caught it immediately) that on one side, about 10 strands had all broken off to the same length. I realized that i was pulling the scarf too tight and I immediately started just wrapping the hair loosely and then putting the mesh wrap thing around it and throwing my satin bonnet back on. The growth gradually came back.

e$h

tffy2004 said:
I use to Wrap every single night until I notice that my edges on the left side were thinning. So I don't wrap as often anymore. Thats the only negative thing I experienced when I use to wrap often.

What she said.

nychaelasymone

excuse my ignorance but what is the "mesh" thingy?

I don't know any other way to avoid heat but to wrap....my hair is too short but I do change directions every week.

Babygurl

I havent really wrapped my hair since I started my hair care challenge. I did notice the thinning on one side but the main thing for me is that its too much manipulation for my taste.

motherx2esq

I wrapped my hair for close to 16 years and I started to notice that my hair and head was sore every morning when I took my hair down. I always use really hard brushes too. One side of my hair was more manageable than the other. The other side was way thinner. I have now stopped wrapping (unless I do a cross wrap, I really like it) because of my head and hair being sore.

Plenty

LAYDEE said:
I hear alot about protective styles but i hardly hear anything about wrapping hair. Everynight i moisturize and massage my scalp then i wrap my hair-put on my silk scarf and do the sleep thang:grin: my hair is healthy and right now its alittle past my shoulders. is it wrong to wrap my hair? i do remember someone saying that her hair is thin on the right side because of wrapping. did this happen to anyone else? just wanna know how you ladies feel about the whole wrapping hair thing.

Girl my hair thrived from wasing and wrapping, but others hate it. I have learn that these hair techniques depend on so many variables that half the time it is not worth asking such general questions. Half are going to with you and the other have wont. Most wont respond. Trust me I have been on this board for too long. Just doing what works for your is the best alternative always. Peace out!

Plenty!

blackbarbie

nychaelasymone said:
excuse my ignorance but what is the "mesh" thingy?

I don't know any other way to avoid heat but to wrap....my hair is too short but I do change directions every week.

It's a band about 2 inches wide and made of mesh; it also has a velcro closure on each end. (you can find it in Sally's) I put it on first, immediately after I wrap my hair to make sure my satin scarf isn't cutting off circulation to any of my edges:lol:

Babygurl, how do you wear your hair on a nightly basis?

tsiporah

I think wrapping is bad for the hair. Most ladies that I have seen have that thin one side or thin in the back. Plus the style, in my opinion is not "straight" if that is what one aims for. It has a kind of "crooked wig appearance."

Babygurl

blackbarbie said:
Babygurl, how do you wear your hair on a nightly basis?

Im a bun girl, so its usually wrapped in a satin scarf with my bun..if Im wearing it down Ill put a scarf on the top and a satin bonnet for the ends (sylver2's method), it usually looks fresly wrapped in the morning.

NOEChic

I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong.
when i used to wrap my hair to the right, i would not have any thinning on the right. but my hair was always thin on the left side.

blackbarbie

Babygurl said:
Im a bun girl, so its usually wrapped in a satin scarf with my bun..if Im wearing it down Ill put a scarf on the top and a satin bonnet for the ends (sylver2's method), it usually looks fresly wrapped in the morning.

I was wondering b/c I noticed you said you wore it up in a bun daily, but in your siggy pics, that stuff is just as straight and shiny!!!

The only way I can do the scarf method is if I know I am going to pin it up in a bun the next morning, but I can't make the length "lay down" in the bonnet quite right to get straight results if I intend to wear it down.....

Oh, beautimus hair girly!!

Isis

*wonders how this thread got bumped...* :wasntme:

I still haven't tried wrapping, never even seen or heard of it until I discovered hair boards.

It seems like wrapping, cross-wrapping like KhandiB's method, without using a brush or comb (just fingers) should work very well, without breakage. :scratchch

Last edited:

Miss*Tress

Isis said:
*wonders how this thread got bumped...* :wasntme:
Voting bumps the thread, Isis.

How does wrapping cause hair to thin? :huh:
For those of you who experienced thinning and sore scalp, were you brushing and smoothing hair down or in any other way pulling it really tight while wrapping? :confused:

e$h

Browndilocks said:
Wrapping makes my scalp extremely sore and my hair would eventually shed in the section where the soreness was.

BUMPING BUMPING BUMPING

Why is this?

pistachio

Yeah, I think it was Kinikakes that said she was frustrated because she wraed only the right side instead of alternating directions. I know that I'm late in this thread!!!;) But I wrap my hair only when I plan to wear it out the next day, and that's been AT LEAST two months ago.

Artemis

I hate wrapping!! For me, everytime I've wrapped, I've had a bad hair day. Thin edges, and a sore scalp:mad:, and that "crooked wig" appearance...Now that my hair has recovered, I put it up in a loose bun, using a good hair days pin. I bought a yard of silk for a scarf but now I just use it to cover my cotton pillow before bed. This the first time in a while I can really get a good night's sleep without fighting my headrag or worrying about screwing up my 'do.:)

janeemat

Personally for me, nothing is wrong with wrapping. I still wrap for several weeks afte I get a fresh relaxer. I found wrapping a very healthy method because you can avoid curling irons. Some ladies said that it thinned their hair from the constant wrapping, but I always rotate the direction that I wrap in. I few years ago, after damaging my hair from a home perm, wrapping grew my hair from bald to past shoulder length in about 15 months.

Amarech

I think a distinction needs to be made. If you're talking about wet wrapping, then I don't think its good. But I wrap my hair after I've blown it dry and flat ironed it and I couldn't survive any other way:) .

Wet wrapping has always been more trouble than it's worth, at least for me. And all that combing and smothing while your hair is wet or even damp can't be good even if you do have some type of leave in.

My hair does great with dry wrapping and I haven't had any problems!

Babychoc

Taij said:
I think a distinction needs to be made. If you're talking about wet wrapping, then I don't think its good. But I wrap my hair after I've blown it dry and flat ironed it and I couldn't survive any other way:) .

Wet wrapping has always been more trouble than it's worth, at least for me. And all that combing and smothing while your hair is wet or even damp can't be good even if you do have some type of leave in.

I totally agree with this ^^^

Isis

Miss*Tress said:
Voting bumps the thread, Isis.

How does wrapping cause hair to thin? :huh:
For those of you who experienced thinning and sore scalp, were you brushing and smoothing hair down or in any other way pulling it really tight while wrapping? :confused:
Thank you Miss*Tress, I learned something new! That explains why I see threads bumped now and then seemingly for no reason.

20perlz

I have wrapped religiously once a week for 2 years straight. My hair always appeared to be healthy because I consistently conditioned and washed (which was all I really knew to do before finding these boards). Right after I got pregnant, I started noticing breakage in the hair on the right side. I thought it was my conditioner (Nexxus) not being enough so since finding these boards, I have uped the conditioner and switched from my beloved layered cut to protective styles.

NOW, after reading this thread I realize that my breakage may very well have been caused by the fact that for 2 years I have never changed the DIRECTION that I was wrapping my hair in. Boy does that sting! :ohwell:

sylver2

Taij said:

years ago a stylist tried to wet wrap my hair once because she was to lazy to roller set. It was a nightmare. My hair is thick as hell, I lost so much hair from her trying to comb and brush it straight around while wet. It took her forver and then it was still half assed done. Then even after I was under the dryer for like 2 hours the inside was still soaking wet.
I now shudder whenever I think of hair being wrapped while wet..lol

Zahrah

sylver2 said:
years ago a stylist tried to wet wrap my hair once because she was to lazy to roller set. It was a nightmare. My hair is thick as hell, I lost so much hair from her trying to comb and brush it straight around while wet. It took her forver and then it was still half assed done. Then even after I was under the dryer for like 2 hours the inside was still soaking wet.
I now shudder whenever I think of hair being wrapped while wet..lol

ITA- I sat for 3 hrs. before it was totally dry:wallbash:

Brees_hair

For me wrapping made my left side thinner and shorter:ohwell: , which I am working on to make thicker and longer as we speak. I did switch the directions I wrapped, but had a tendency to wrap to the right. anyway, I no longer do daily wraps, I pin my hair into a loose bun before bed. I think the only time I wrap is if I request it at the salon or when I need to reserve my hair for a special event.

locabouthair

my hair has gotten thinner but I'm not sure if it's due to wrapping because i wrap my hair to the right and my left side is really thin. i think that wrapping can be too much manipulation especially if your hair is fragile already. i want to find an alternative to wrapping because i want to reduce the amount of combing but everytime i dont wrap my hair it looks a hot mess. i would love to try khandi's method but my hair isn't long enough for it to work.

NantanYah

LAYDEE said:
I hear alot about protective styles but i hardly hear anything about wrapping hair. Everynight i moisturize and massage my scalp then i wrap my hair-put on my silk scarf and do the sleep thang:grin: my hair is healthy and right now its alittle past my shoulders. is it wrong to wrap my hair? i do remember someone saying that her hair is thin on the right side because of wrapping. did this happen to anyone else? just wanna know how you ladies feel about the whole wrapping hair thing.

When I was relaxed I would wrap my hair gently in a silk/satin scarf. My hair was very healthy APL length and I had no problems. It was when I didn't wrap that my hair was dry with split ends. My sister still has a relaxer and her hair is very healthy and APL length to this day. People always comment on her hair and want to touch it. She uses her wrap scarf religiously at night. I think people get problems when they wrap their hair and put the scarf on too tight. Just my take on it:)

*Happily Me*

tsiporah said:
I think wrapping is bad for the hair. Most ladies that I have seen have that thin one side or thin in the back. Plus the style, in my opinion is not "straight" if that is what one aims for. It has a kind of "crooked wig appearance."

:lol: i've seen this a lot

tarheelgurl

I wrap probably every other night until there is too much new growth and then I just pin it up and tie it up.

back2relaxed

I voted, but I have mixed emotions on the subject. I used to religiously wrap my hair, even changing directions, but what I did notice after having my son and my hair becoming more sensitive is that the wrapping caused one side of my hair to thin. I believe that the pulling that occurs when you wrap your hair causes tension on the hair even if you oil the edges eventually it weakens that side of your hair. Now I know many people who can still wrap their hair with no issues, but for me this time around I won't be doing it. One benefit though is it helps you to maintain a heat free hair style in most cases...