Ill effects of wrapping hair?

FAMUDva

I have a curious question about wrapping my hair. I typically wrap my hair when I'm wearing straight styles and plan to wear straight styles alternating with my bun until December 06. To maintain, I wrap it at night and had been wrapping it from right to left and my right side is MUCH thinner than my left.

Could it be from wrapping it? COuld it be the direction? Last night I decided to wrap from the opposite direction, but wanted to know what you ladies think.

And if you DO NOT wrap, how do you maintain your straight styles without using heat?

TIA

KiniKakes

FAMUDva said:
I have a curious question about wrapping my hair. I typically wrap my hair when I'm wearing straight styles and plan to wear straight styles alternating with my bun until December 06. To maintain, I wrap it at night and had been wrapping it from right to left and my right side is MUCH thinner than my left.

Could it be from wrapping it? COuld it be the direction? Last night I decided to wrap from the opposite direction, but wanted to know what you ladies think.

And if you DO NOT wrap, how do you maintain your straight styles without using heat?

TIA

Yes, Im pretty sure its from wrapping!

The right side of my hair used to be significantly thinner. This was the result of 10+ years of wrapping. I was wrapping my hair, clockwise/to the right, since first pressing my hair senior year of high school. I thought this was best for my hair, and didnt realize I should be alternating directions.

Since that time, I have stopped wrapping my hair altogether. And I have regained fullness in the right side of my hair. I attribute this to MTG, conditioning treatments, and overall TLC. I now sleep with my hair pincurled or in a bun. On the rare occasions that I do wrap, I wrap in the opposite direction.

Check out the album called Progress Pictures in my Fokti. I have pics of my hair thinned from wrapping back in January, and current pictures today where it has filled back in!

mahogany66

I used to wrap my hair EVERY NIGHT and now my hair is thin on the right side:( , so I decided to wrap my hair ONLY after my rollerset. I sleep with two rollers now.

Last edited:

HighlyFavored1

When I wore my hair down a lot, I used to wrap nearly everynight. Some hair is strong enough for this, but it was thinning out my edges and one side. This was mainly due to me using a hard brush to wrap and consistently doing it in the same direction. Once I tried wrapping in the opposite direction and it hurt my scalp a bit since my hair wasnt used to it, that probably wasn't good.

Now, if i wear my hair straight and down, I wrap carefully with a large toothed comb and no brushing. I just twist the scarf around my head a few times to get my hair to lay down. But i keep wrapping to a minimum.

I don't know another alternative to keeping a straight style, I'll be interested in suggestions. :eek:

shunta

KiniKakes said:

The right side of my hair used to be significantly thinner. This was the result of 10+ years of wrapping. I was wrapping my hair, clockwise/to the right, since first pressing my hair senior year of high school. I thought this was best for my hair, and didnt realize I should be alternating directions.

Since that time, I have stopped wrapping my hair altogether. And I have regained fullness in the right side of my hair. I attribute this to MTG, conditioning treatments, and overall TLC. I now sleep with my hair pincurled or in a bun. On the rare occasions that I do wrap, I wrap in the opposite direction.

Check out the album called Progress Pictures in my Fokti. I have pics of my hair thinned from wrapping back in January, and current pictures today where it has filled back in!
Quick question- isnt is uncomfortable to sleep in a bun? Just curious :confused:

FAMUDva

Thanks Ladies!

KiniKakes, I just checked out your Fotki and your hair is beautiful! So, do you not wear straight styles anymore? I know when I sleep with a bun, there are crimps in my hair the next day and I rarely use heat, so I need something that will help me keep it moving so to speak when I want to wear it straight after a DBO or flat ironing.

I was literally just telling my ATL LHCF sistas this weekend that my hair was MUCH thicker before I started LHCF. I've never had issues with thick healthy hair, but could never get past 1-2' past shoulders. So, now I'm steaming that my hair seems to be thinning.

I'm guessing this is also why my hair grows slower on the left side than the right. It will be interesting to see what others say.

BeatriceFly

KiniKakes said:

WHAT DO YOU USE TO PIN CURL IT?
JUST BOBBY PINS
B/C IW OULD FIND THAT IF I DIDNT WRAP MY HAIR IT WOULD BE JACKED UP IN THE MORNING
EVEN THOUGHT IM NOT CURRENTLY PRESSING, WHEN I DO I WANT TO KNOW WHAT TO DO
THERE WAS A MEMBER ON HERE THOUGH, I CANT REMEMBER THE NAME, WHO CROSS WRAPPED AND SHE HAD PICTURES OF HOW TO DO IT, SO YOU GUYS COULD TRY THAT
why was i in caps??? she parted it down the middle, and swooped each side around to the front going in opposite directions and pinned it

blackbarbie

I was just looking at past pics of me and my hair has been much longer than it is right now and while it has always had a fine texture, it was always much thinner in the past too. Never could understand why it didn't have a problem growing but wouldn't look thick until I cut it.

Even though I have read this theory a million times on this site ("wrapping causes the hair to thin"), I now truly believe it b/c I wrapped for years (6 or 7). Just even the 6 months that I stretched and wore my hair in a bun has thickened it up quite considerably and while I love that stick straight look on my hair, I am going to try to find an alternative to wrapping every day.. What I currently do it wrap a couple of days after rollersetting and then do a high pony with a big pin curl. I am hoping this won't have any long term ill-effects.

Tee

I guess I am the only odd ball but I have wrapped my hair for about 7-8 and never had a problem with thinning. But all our hair is different. I dont wrap now since I air dry. Most of the time I sleep in my bunn or just a satin cap.

Oh, sleeping in a bun is no problem for me either. (I saw someone ask.)

sylver2

Letitia said:
I guess I am the only odd ball but I have wrapped my hair for about 7-8 and never had a problem with thinning. But all our hair is different. I dont wrap now since I air dry. Most of the time I sleep in my bunn or just a satin cap.

Me too. I wrapped my hair every nite for 15 years straight. no thinning.

I haven't wrapped it in awhile because I hate to comb it or manipulate my hair.
So when I want my hair striaght, after I blow dry and flat iron. I part in my style(middle part usually)
With hair hanging straight down, I tie satin scarf on head with hair hanging out the back. I then take that back part and lightly swoop it up in an oversized satin bonnet and put it halfway on head.
I go to bed wake up, take off and hair is straight as ever.

simpleDIVA

I use to wrap my hair every night, but after a while my hair started to thin out. My edges were sore as hell. I had to stop. Now I just wear a scarf on my head and call it a night.

FAMUDva

Thanks ladies... All great tips that I will start trying immediatly. Especially Sylver2's suggestion.

KiniKakes

shunta said:
Quick question- isnt is uncomfortable to sleep in a bun? Just curious :confused:

No, not at all...... the bun is usually loose. I usually pile the hair on top of my head, or maybe in the back.... and then put a satin scarf over it. Its the easiest way to sleep.

KiniKakes

FAMUDva said:
Thanks Ladies!

KiniKakes, I just checked out your Fotki and your hair is beautiful! So, do you not wear straight styles anymore? I know when I sleep with a bun, there are crimps in my hair the next day and I rarely use heat, so I need something that will help me keep it moving so to speak when I want to wear it straight after a DBO or flat ironing.

I was literally just telling my ATL LHCF sistas this weekend that my hair was MUCH thicker before I started LHCF. I've never had issues with thick healthy hair, but could never get past 1-2' past shoulders. So, now I'm steaming that my hair seems to be thinning.

I'm guessing this is also why my hair grows slower on the left side than the right. It will be interesting to see what others say.

Yeah, when i sleep in the bun the hair is sometimes curly or bent the next morning. Pin curling keeps it straight, with extra body and bounce.... sincei have naturally fine textured hair, i can use as much body as i can get. In terms of achieving the same flatness/straightness that wrapping gets......... i suppose you could just wear a satin bonnet and keep the hair down inside of it....... or try cross-wrapping, as Eboni suggested, making sure not to use a hard brush or anything of the like. Just finger comb to both sides, secure with one pin on each side, and use a satin bonnet (so its not too tight/flat against the head.

KiniKakes

EbonyPerez said:
WHAT DO YOU USE TO PIN CURL IT

No I dont use bobby pins to pin curl, I use those short silver clips that are used when roller-setting with magnetic rollers.

chiprecious

I personally have never had problems with wrapping my hair. However just as with wrapping and anything other thing you do with your hair, you have to be gentle. No hard brush, only soft boar brushes and only when dry. Light (heavily diluted) setting lotion with oil, same as with roller setting.

However at times I do notice that one side of my hair gets thinner, with or w/o wrapping. But it's gone when I switch which side I sleep on. This is a common problem for many I know.

KiniKakes

Yeah, regardless of whether it causes thinning on one side for everyone.......... just all the combing and handling of the hair required for wrapping is enough to turn me off. I realize now that my hair THRIVES from minimal combing/minimal manipulation. And with wrapping every night, its just inevitable that you are combing it up, combing it down, then combing to style.... unless you are able to do everything with your fingers.

FAMUDva

KiniKakes said:
Yeah, when i sleep in the bun the hair is sometimes curly or bent the next morning. Pin curling keeps it straight, with extra body and bounce.... sincei have naturally fine textured hair, i can use as much body as i can get. In terms of achieving the same flatness/straightness that wrapping gets......... i suppose you could just wear a satin bonnet and keep the hair down inside of it....... or try cross-wrapping, as Eboni suggested, making sure not to use a hard brush or anything of the like. Just finger comb to both sides, secure with one pin on each side, and use a satin bonnet (so its not too tight/flat against the head.

I have coarse hair (used to be THICK...LOL) and thick hair, so body has never been a problem. I'll try Sylver's method, then next week, I'll try the pincurls you mentioned. I really appreciate you ladies coming to the rescue :)

caribeandiva

Human being
wrapping in one direction will do that. try alternating sides each night. i used to wrap but it caused thinning in the left side. so i gave up and bought satin pillowcases instead. I love them, no more wrapping! i didn't wrap for straight styles though just to protect my hair.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I try not to wrap as much anymore, maybe just a couple times a week if need be. Wrapping (in the same direction) on a daily basis caused my left temple to feel sore and both temples to thin out. I've now considered other alternatives to wrapping every night.

FAMUDva

TSUprincess04 said:
I try not to wrap as much anymore, maybe just a couple times a week if need be. Wrapping (in the same direction) on a daily basis caused my left temple to feel sore and both temples to thin out. I've now considered other alternatives to wrapping every night.

Thanks TSUprincess... Certainly feel the same way now that I've come to realize what the problem was... I'm on a quest from now until December to see if the tips here help me see some of my thickness return. And BTW, are you making your way to Atlanta in Sept to see your Tigers get struck DOWN by those mighty RATTLERS :D JK.

KhandiB

my right side is thinner and less pliable than my left side because when I used to wrap I always did it to the right..

It doesnt help that the right side grows slower than the left side as it is..

Imma take a pic and show yall one day.. it looks bad sometimes :lol:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
FAMUDva said:
Thanks TSUprincess... Certainly feel the same way now that I've come to realize what the problem was... I'm on a quest from now until December to see if the tips here help me see some of my thickness return. And BTW, are you making your way to Atlanta in Sept to see your Tigers get struck DOWN by those mighty RATTLERS :D JK.

OT: UH OH!!! I think you tryin to start somethin :lol: . I more than likely will be there in September. My friends and I went last year, but we didn't go to the game, lol. Instead we went to the Battle of the Bands. We just spent our time there going to clubs and shopping.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I used to wrap nightly too. Now I either do a mohawk set with 3/4 rollers or I cross wrap or make 3/4 huge pin curls. I do wrap my hair after rollersetting for a straight look but I alternate wich side I wrap to.

mahogany66

simplycee said:
I used to wrap nightly too. Now I either do a mohawk set with 3/4 rollers or I cross wrap or make 3/4 huge pin curls. I do wrap my hair after rollersetting for a straight look but I alternate wich side I wrap to.

how do you achieve the mohawk set?

LaNecia

EbonyPerez said:
THERE WAS A MEMBER ON HERE THOUGH, I CANT REMEMBER THE NAME, WHO CROSS WRAPPED AND SHE HAD PICTURES OF HOW TO DO IT, SO YOU GUYS COULD TRY THAT
why was i in caps??? she parted it down the middle, and swooped each side around to the front going in opposite directions and pinned it

I remember that but I can't recall who it was for the life of me! I've been waiting fo rmy hair to get long enough to do that method. I saved that website at home, I'll take a look and see if I can find it.

shunta

Letitia said:

You guys probably think that Im retarded but I just wanna make sure I m getting this right. When you sleep in a bun at night, are you sleeping in a high bun with the donut or sock? Dont be too mad at me for asking :perplexed