Is Wrapping Bad for the Hair???

Jewell

Do you ladies think wrapping is bad for the hair? Does it thin your edges? I don't think its bad for the hair, but I do think that care should be taken with the edges so that there isn't too much tension from brushing/combing the wrap into place applied. I wrapped my hair tonight for the first time since January 05. I would love to get back to wrapping everynight, and I haven't really had a problem with my hair thinning before, yet on another hair board, most are saying that wrapping causes breakage not only on the edges, but in other parts of the hair. What do ya'll think?

Is a wrap considered a protective style? Because I have absolutely no problem wrapping my hair and wearing it out in public (without pins, without a scarf), but people look at me funny! :lol: I don't see the problem with it. If you leave it up to me, I will wash my hair, air dry, grease my scalp, wrap my hair, and leave it like that until the next wash! (I wash twice a week). The only time I would take it down is for church, because my job has a VERY CASUAL atmosphere! TIA, and sorry so long! I just love to wrap my hair and get that look, but I am interested to know what you ladies think!

Last edited:

Crysdon

I stopped wrapping a few months ago. I gather all the hair together and I roll it up with four rollers in the crown. I've noticed that my ends are not as thin and my styles lasts a lot longer. When I wrapped my hair, the style would get way too flat and only last 3 or 4 days. I wash my hair every week and my styles now last until my next shampoo.

Maybe you could wrap in moderation.

Jewell

I will have to try to wrap in moderation. I would also like to wear it as my protective style too! :D Thanks for the tip!

chocolate01

I used to wrap my hair all the time when I was fully relaxed and never had a problem with thinning edges. I do have a problem with my edges being a little thin now but I contribute that to something else so for me wrapping was not a problem. It was a way of protecting my hair at night and holding my curls as well.

California

I can't stand wrapping. Not that I can't do it. Its just too much everynight. Plus the hair looks aaaight. Nothing special.

EssentialGrowth

Crysdon said:
I stopped wrapping a few months ago. I gather all the hair together and I roll it up with four rollers in the crown. I've noticed that my ends are not as thin and my styles lasts a lot longer. When I wrapped my hair, the style would get way too flat and only last 3 or 4 days. I wash my hair every week and my styles now last until my next shampoo.

Maybe you could wrap in moderation.

This was the exact same reason why I stopped wrapping my hair. Another reason was that it was thinning my hair out--my hair would end up looking so limp and lifeless :nono:.

Jewell, I suggest you rely not only on wrapping for protecting your hair at night, but also try other alternatives--like roller setting, braiding, twists, etc.

Crysdon, I have also been doing your exact same method for the past two months and found it to be most beneficial for my hair, especially my ends :yep:

LoriLOCX

I think that wrapping the hair was intended to be a protective styling. Over time, people have changed the way in which the hair is put into a wrap.....using lots of tension and stiff brushing of the hair in a tight circular pattern to get it as flat as possible, becuase flat supposedly meant a smoother result. It was this tension that caused thinning and breakage because wet hair is stretched beyond it's limit causing it to weaken.

Then, the products used on the hair to obtain better wrap results might also contain substances that may be more harmful then good....such as mixing gel into a wrap lotion, and then using a curling iron each time to smooth/curl the ends.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I never had a problem wrapping when I was relaxed. If you need more volume, add rollers to the crown and wrapp the rest. If you find your hair is starting to train itself to being wrapped a certain way, alternate the direction you wrap in. If your hair is limp you may have too much product in your hair weighing it down.

L

lkg4healthyhair

I found that when I wrapped my hair using my fingers instead of a comb or brush and alternating directions it was better for my hair, but now I wear it in a bun daily so I no longer need to wrap it. I just put a large magnetic roller on top with product on the ends.

sylver2

I been wrapping my hair for 16 years now. Never had a problem.
Only time I don't wrap is if I'm stretching relaxer after 10 weeks.
I usually just use a soft bristle brush to wrap. I do it because it gives mt that bone straight look I love so much and protects hair.

Ayeshia

OProbably if you doo it too tight and constantly brush it in the same direction continuously. I've never had a problem.

hairmaster

The wrap was first meant as a setting method. if you followed the directions you wrapped the hair around the head and sit under a dryer, then loosened the hair for styling. this was to keep from blow-drying and iron pressing. you have to let the hair and scalp breath, so leaving the hair wrapped up keeps the scalp from breathing.
Using grease on the scalp blocks the scalp from breathing also. Try using Olive Oil.
As to wearing a wrap allday says I'm to lazy to style/comb my hair today.

LDebagoria

This is interesting. A friend of mine always wraps her hair really tight. I'm not sure if she has breakage or not...

webby

Think Slim
I have never had a problem, but I do pull my bobby-pins out before I tie my hair down with the scarf. I think that if the pins cause a lot of friction, then that may lead to breakage.

Stormy

I just got my hair cut into a chin length bob. The stylist told me to wrap it every night. I did it last night, and I'll continue it to see how well my hair does. My daughter has been doing this for two months since she got her hair cut, and her hair has grown A LOT! It's also very thick too. So, I believe the wrapping is working. :grin:

webby

Think Slim
Stormy said:
I just got my hair cut into a chin length bob. The stylist told me to wrap it every night. I did it last night, and I'll continue it to see how well my hair does. My daughter has been doing this for two months since she got her hair cut, and her hair has grown A LOT! It's also very thick too. So, I believe the wrapping is working. :grin:
Wrapping doesn't contribute to additional growth. It just maintains a hairstyle and can be less taxing for women who usually hot curl, or flat iron regularly. Did that make sense?

Jewell

Thanks everyone for all the tips! Yeah, hairmaster I see what you mean about the wearing a wrap all day, LOL. I never wrap my hair wet, because it would take 2 days to dry! I only do a dry wrap at night with a little oil or something. I have been wrapping for a couple years now, and never noticed any thinning at my edges. I can only wrap up until week 8 or 9, then it becomes too difficult with the new growth and all. When that time comes, I will go back to just pinning my hair up under a scarf at night or doing pin curls. :)

I just heard all the hype about it being bad for the hair, and wanted to find out you all's opinions. I wrap using one duck bill clip at the top, a wide tooth comb, and a boar bristle brush (soft). I think when I used a plastic brush with plastic bristles, I was definitely prone to having breakage if I wasn't careful.

webby

Think Slim
Jewell said:
I just heard all the hype about it being bad for the hair, and wanted to find out you all's opinions. I wrap using on duck bill clip at the top, a wide tooth comb, and a boar bristle brush (soft). I think when I used a plastic brush with plastic bristles, I was definitely prone to having breakage if I wasn't careful.
Do you have to brush? I only ask, because I never use a brush at all, unless I'm blowing my roots. Other than that, I use a seamless comb and notice much less hair being pulled.

hairmaster

webby said:
Do you have to brush? I only ask, because I never use a brush at all, unless I'm blowing my roots. Other than that, I use a seamless comb and notice much less hair being pulled.
To get a nice smooth look some use a brush. Nylon brushes cause more damage.
and if you wrap wet hair then you will sit under the dryer for maybe two hours but it is better than direct heat and a flat iron in that two hours time.

PhonyBaloney500

When I get my hair straightened (I'm natural), I wrap it at night for the first few nights then put a satin scarf. After a few nights I get lazy and just wear it in a ponytail.

I'm surprised that wrapping might thin edges out. I definitely don't wrap TOO tight--in fact it looks pretty sloppy!

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I used to wrap my hair and it was good for my hair, I only had to use heat once a week. I think the trick with wrapping is to alternate wrapping every night (clockwise one night then couterclockwise the next night). Just make sure the scarf you use is satin or silk so it doesn't cause breakage and add a little more moisture to your hairline to gurad against breakage and you should be fine.

I've tried using the half and half method metioned on this board and had good results. My only complaint with this method is it requires clips, which I'm not crazy about.

Now about you wearing a wrap out in public (without a scarf)...... :spank:

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
Hummm...

Wrapping gives me good results but I do have 1 problem with it. Every time I wrap my hair, my scalp becomes extremely sore. I am not wrapping tightly. Right around where my hair ends (in the wrap), no matter which way I do it, I'm sore the next day & my scalp is really sensitive :mad:

karezone

I think that wrapping is good, until you get long (shoulder length hair) then I think that it causes the ends to thin out

Jewell

webby said:

I really prefer to brush the whole thing after the wrap is in place just to lay down any stray hairs.I comb it into place, then brush it around once to make it smooth. That's it.

Jewell

simplycee said:
I used to wrap my hair and it was good for my hair, I only had to use heat once a week. I think the trick with wrapping is to alternate wrapping every night (clockwise one night then couterclockwise the next night). Just make sure the scarf you use is satin or silk so it doesn't cause breakage and add a little more moisture to your hairline to gurad against breakage and you should be fine.

I've tried using the half and half method metioned on this board and had good results. My only complaint with this method is it requires clips, which I'm not crazy about.

Now about you wearing a wrap out in public (without a scarf)...... :spank:

:lol: