What's wrong with wrapping?

How do you feel about wrapping your hair

• Wrapping is good for the hair

Votes: 160 53.2%
  • Wrapping is not good for the hair

Votes: 141 46.8%

• Total voters

LAYDEE

I hear alot about protective styles but i hardly hear anything about wrapping hair. Everynight i moisturize and massage my scalp then i wrap my hair-put on my silk scarf and do the sleep thang:grin: my hair is healthy and right now its alittle past my shoulders. is it wrong to wrap my hair? i do remember someone saying that her hair is thin on the right side because of wrapping. did this happen to anyone else? just wanna know how you ladies feel about the whole wrapping hair thing.

Last edited:

MizaniMami

For me, I only wrap when I wear my hair down which is now every 1 1/2 mos-3 mos. And that's only about 4 nights in a row.

I use to be a vigorious wrapper EVERY night never missing a night. Needless to say my right side (the side I used to start my wrap on) is waaaaay thinner and weaker than the other. It is slowly but surely recovering though:( since now that I do protective styling I just slap it in a silk scarf.

But yeah, unfortunalty for me, wrapping makes the ends of my hair feel so good. KhandiB has a method called the "cross wrap" in her fotki if you want alternative methods. I tried it but my wrap doesn't stay so it left me with bended ends. I'll get better, I hope.

ETA: I voted "wrapping is NOT good for the hair"

LAYDEE

MizaniMami said:
For me, I only wrap when I wear my hair down which is now every 1 1/2 mos-3 mos. And that's only about 4 nights in a row.

I use to be a vigorious wrapper EVERY night never missing a night. Needless to say my right side (the side I used to start my wrap on) is waaaaay thinner and weaker than the other. It is slowly but surely recovering though:( since now that I do protective styling I just slap it in a silk scarf.

But yeah, unfortunalty for me, wrapping makes the ends of my hair feel so good. KhandiB has a method called the "cross wrap" in her fotki if you want alternative methods. I tried it but my wrap doesn't stay so it left me with bended ends. I'll get better, I hope.

what type of protective styles do you do?

tffy2004

I use to Wrap every single night until I notice that my edges on the left side were thinning. So I don't wrap as often anymore. Thats the only negative thing I experienced when I use to wrap often.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I've always wrapped my hair to get the straight look with no ill effects. I always reversed the sides and I never wrapped for more than a week straight.

secretdiamond

I still don't understand the thinning on one side thing, but for me, it's the amount of combing and manipulation that occurs with wrapping that caused me to stop. That's too big of a chance for constant breaking.

sylver2

Nothing's wrong with wrapping for me. Doin it for like 15 years. The only reason I don't really wrap as much anymore is because I stopped combing my hair altogether xcept on wash day.

prettywhitty

Wrapping caused the left side of my hair to get thin. It's come back now. When I wrap, I use Khandi B's crosswrap method and get good results.

Wishin4BSL

I've been wrapping my hair for maybe 8 years and it used to thin on one side until I got a regular schedule for washing, moisturizing, and deep conditioning. Now I have very little breakage and it gets healthier every day.

Wishin4BSL said:
I've been wrapping my hair for maybe 8 years and it used to thin on one side until I got a regular schedule for washing, moisturizing, and deep conditioning. Now I have very little breakage and it gets healthier every day.

ITA, I've never had a problem with wrapping my hair. But I am going to look into KhandiB's alternative method for wrapping, I want to try something different

Yeah-- the same thing happened to me>>> :cry:
MizaniMami said:

Neroli

I wrapped for years until I learned to stretch relaxers from 6 to 12 weeks and had to stop the daily combing and manipulating except on wash days. Also, the longer my hair gets, the more "work" wrapping becomes and just not necessary anymore . . .

KiniKakes

gradygirl said:
I think some people experience thinning one side it they continue to wrap their hair in the same direction.

Yes, this was my experience. I wrapped in the same direction for 10 years.... major thinning! However, after stopping about a year ago, Ive since babied my hair and its regained most of its fullness. (See Progress Pictures in my Fokti for Before & After).

I know every woman has not experienced this. My hair happens to be very fine/soft, and I believe that for those with fine/thin hair (like myself) this is more of an issue.

Last edited:

chayil0427

I think any situation in which you consistently put your hair in the same position can be damaging. That's why it's necessary to frequently alter protective styles ect. and make sure they're not too tight.

With wrapping, if you wrap your hair really tightly and tie it up tightly then you could get tension damage. (I had a similiar traction problem with butterfly clips)

Personally I just loosely pile up my hair and put on a bonnet. It also keeps my hair from being flat. I don't like how wrapping somethimes leave my nape (which is a damaged area for me) exposed. Yet, wrapping workes beautiful for others...I just personally found it to be damaging for me.

Chayil

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
Wrapping makes my scalp extremely sore and my hair would eventually shed in the section where the soreness was.

secretdiamond

Browndilocks said:
Wrapping makes my scalp extremely sore and my hair would eventually shed in the section where the soreness was.
Hmm... why do you think that was? I would get soreness on my temple too. I don't think I had the shedding though. But I rarely wrapped. It was only when I wore my hair down, which was very infrequent anyway.

Does anyone know?

Southernbella.

Wishin4BSL said:

I think that was the problem for me too. A few years ago, I wrapped every night until my hair started thinning. Now, I don't think it was just wrapping that caused it; I think it was a combo of everything you mentioned. My hair was already weak, and the process of wrapping broke it off.

I think I may give it a try again now that I know more.

Princess Pie

I tried KhandiB's cross wrap, and it worked for me. I still need more practice, but it's a keeper.

When wrapping the traditional way, I also experienced some thinning. I tried alternating sides, but that created more problems (too much manipulation). I won't wrap my hair the traditional way anymore.

shunta

Browndilocks said:
Me, too!! I was wondering why my poor scalp was sore.:confused:

erin558

ive been wrapping for years and now i noticed that one side of my hair isnt as long and strong as the other and my temple area is just thinnig. my problem is that I cannot find a method to wrap my hair up at night that can even compare to wrapping. i've been just putting my silk scarf on my head and letting the hair hang out and covering it with a bonnet but i think it makes my ends look weird.

ive been wrapping my hair basically every night. i havent experienced any thinning or pulled edges. I think the key is to not wrap the hair so tight. the really should be no pulling involved, just finger comb your hair in to the wrap very loosely. this will leave basically no damage to your hair or sclap. hth.

nyreebnks

I wrap after my weekly washes because I don't want to use heat on my hair I haven't had any problems that I can see, My hair is growing fine

FAMUDva

tffy2004 said:
I use to Wrap every single night until I notice that my edges on the left side were thinning. So I don't wrap as often anymore. Thats the only negative thing I experienced when I use to wrap often.

I agree. I RARELY wrap now. My right side is so much thinner and at least an inch shorter than the left side because of wrapping. It's the only thing I can attribute it to since both sides have always been treated the same. I'm bunning now, so I only wrap on the occasions that my hair is down. I've picked up the cross wrap method that someone had in their fotki to prevent "real" wrapping.

asubeauty

I tried other ways of tying up my hair at night, and nothing but wrapping ever worked for me. I just loosely wrap my hair, put one of those mesh wrap things around it, and put a satin bonnet on top. If the bonnet isn't too big, I just put the bonnet on and don't use the mesh thing at all.

This has worked better for me than any other method. I don't have any thinning now, so I think that maybe when I did have thinning, it was because I was wearing my scarf too tight or something.

erin558

im going to try wrapping my hair very loose because nothing else works for me.

im a slave to wrapping :(