Waistlength and Beyond – Names + Regimens!

Hey Traycee I was wondering have you tried the GVP version of Nexxus Humectress? I want to try the real version, but I'm on a college student budget right now. Thanks!

This thread is interesting. If I keep up what I'm doing I should be waist-length by the end of the year!

I envy those who can go without the comb. I MUST detangle my hair regularly or it will turn into a matted mess. The biggest mistake I've made since the big chop was to try a low manipulation regimen where I went days and days without detangling. Let's just say I won't be repeating that. Fingercombing is not good enough to get out the shed hair, which is the main problem for me. Having said that, I detangle with a seamless comb with a lot of conditioner or something else for slip in my hair. If I band my hair, I can brush it gently daily to remove the shed hair. But in general, I limit my use of combs and/or brushes and do not use them for styling. Only for gently detangling and shed hair removal.

What did you do to recover from trying a low manipulation regimen?

Great thread!

My regimen is pretty simple. It has varied over the years, but not in the basics. I wash my hair 2-3 times a week, air dry it and then put it in a bun or other updo. My products are shampoo (usually shampoo bars), conditioner, and occasionally I will use coconut oil sparingly. I can replace the conditioner if I do a heavy oiling pre-shampoo. But I rarely do that anymore.

I've discovered that banding works well for me to keep tangles away. When I band, I simply wash, band the hair in four sections and then let it air dry. If I am in a hurry, I will sit under a bonnet dryer for about an hour to speed up the drying. When I take the bands out, I brush my hair and put it up in an updo. It doesn't make my hair straight, but it's the closest I get since I don't use any other form of heat.

I don't deep condition, either for protein or moisture. I use henna. I don't trim and wont unless there is damage that cannot be remedied any other way.

Hmm, I think that's all.

:)

what is banding?

Thanks so much ladies for sharing your regimens. Thanks FlowerHair for starting this thread.
Looking forward to the day I reach WL. Way to go ladies!!!!!

I co-wash about every 4 days...I dont have that many problems with the tangles...the only time I have bad tangles is when I leave it in two strand twists for a couple weeks. Those detangling sessions are serious. If I do have some sort of smaller knot in my hair, I try to gently pick it out with the end of a rat tail comb, then continue detangling.

Thanks for sharing. Your regime is very simple and one that I can definitely incorporate into my current regime :grin:

My regi changes according to what I think my hair needs or the style I want to achieve post wash. But the basic regi for the times I dont flat iron: Cowash hair in four sections, do an oil rinse with castor oil, then add conditioner on top of the castor oil, and detangle with the denman. Leave the conditioner and castor oil on for about an hour under conditioning cap and heat, rinse. Towel dry. Add shea butter and kinky curly knot today and put it in twists or plats overnight for a twistout or braidout in the morning. If im flat ironing, I basically do the same washing technique, but I use sabino moisture block instead of the knot today. Blow dry my hair, then flat iron with a chi. I dust and trim when I feel the need to. I also try to keep my protein and moisture in balance according to how my hair feels before I wash it...thats it. :)

Since you co-wash every 4 days, what do you do to your hair to maintain your twistouts/braidouts, in order to avoid tangles/knots? Do you retwist nightly? Also, do you apply anything to your hair daily in order to maintain the moisture?

What does the Kinky-curly product do for your hair?

TIA :)

What did you do to recover from trying a low manipulation regimen?

I started cowashing and detangling every day for a long while. I was pretty much obsessed with getting the shed hair out and removing all tangles because I couldn't bare to go through what I went through again. (Not to be dramatic, but it was BAD.) And I treated my hair even more gently than ever.

Last edited:
I love this thread! I'm so inspired and looking forward to what 2009 will bring in terms of hair and other personal goals.

Thanks for sharing such helpful wisdom ladies!

My answers are in bold above.
My hair destiny is just longer hair, it's very thick.

I don't think anyone on this board has reached her hair's full potential yet, because no one has used these excellent ideas of hair care for long enough yet. I think your hair can grow as long as you want, that's the mindset you need. :)

Thanks for starting this post. I've really enjoyed reading all the reggies and comments of the WL and beyond ladies.:yep:

Never a truer word was spoken. I'm so glad that you said this, because sometimes it seems that many of us are so impatient and want the length to happen overnight. :)

My regimen is simple. little to no manipulation, I don't really comb through my hair onl a dail basis. I mainly jut comb the ends. I wear it clipped up most of the time.
I wash and straighten every 3 weeks.
1.I wash with cream of nature shampoo
2. I condition with queen helen cholestrol conditioner. I leave it on for 30 minutes then I rinse.
3. Then I apply a olive oil leave in detangler. I let it sit about 3 minutes then I detangle.
4.Then I apply chi oil lightly and then I blow dry.
5.Next I apply a little more chi oil and Isoplus pressing oil and then I flat iron.

I apply herbal oil that I buy at walmart every other day to my ends only. I clip my hair up and roll the ends on satin rollers and I tie my hair with a satin scarf at night.
I have learned that for me less is definitely more!

Thanks so much. As a natural head, I like this reggie. I'm currently not using heat, but when I do start back I will tweak my flat iron regimen a bit.

Yup, what she said. Except I make four sections.

Girl I'm glad you cleared that up, because I was wondering how I would get my hair to air dry in less than 4 days with only one banded braid.:lachen:

Hey Traycee I was wondering have you tried the GVP version of Nexxus Humectress? I want to try the real version, but I'm on a college student budget right now. Thanks!

You know I havent tried it....I tried to purchase it last week and Sally didnt have it..

I co-wash about every 4 days...I dont have that many problems with the tangles...the only time I have bad tangles is when I leave it in two strand twists for a couple weeks. Those detangling sessions are serious. If I do have some sort of smaller knot in my hair, I try to gently pick it out with the end of a rat tail comb, then continue detangling.

I just went to your album and OMG. Your hair is gorgeous. That bantu-knot out you did was just :lick:

Thanks FlowerHair for starting this great thread and thanks to all of you ladies for contributing! Very sweet and inspiring! :yep: My question is, how much product do you all go through in a month? Especially with conditioners and moisturizers. It seems like I go thru a lot- and I'm just barely SL stretched! Lol:wallbash:. It doesn't help that I like a lot of stuff that isn't cheap!

Thanks FlowerHair for starting this great thread and thanks to all of you ladies for contributing! Very sweet and inspiring! :yep: My question is, how much product do you all go through in a month? Especially with conditioners and moisturizers. It seems like I go thru a lot- and I'm just barely SL stretched! Lol:wallbash:. It doesn't help that I like a lot of stuff that isn't cheap!

Another wl checking in. I don't go through a lot at all and I care for 3 other heads. I think the key is preparation. Before I put any shampoo on, I make sure I saturate my hair and kind of do a wash with the just the water. That helps the shampoo to lather a lot quicker. I put it on my scalp first and then work through the rest of my hair. Sometimes I will put some in an applicator bottle with water and then squeeze it on. As for moisturizers, I apply to my hair while wet which allows it to be distributed evenly. HTH Q

I don't use a lot of shampoo, but I use around 1/3 bottle of conditioner a week :grin:

Another wl checking in. I don't go through a lot at all and I care for 3 other heads. I think the key is preparation. Before I put any shampoo on, I make sure I saturate my hair and kind of do a wash with the just the water. That helps the shampoo to lather a lot quicker. I put it on my scalp first and then work through the rest of my hair. Sometimes I will put some in an applicator bottle with water and then squeeze it on. As for moisturizers, I apply to my hair while wet which allows it to be distributed evenly. HTH Q

I really admire you for caring for 4 heads of long, thick, beautiful hair :Rose:

I don't use a lot of shampoo, but I use around 1/3 bottle of conditioner a week :grin:
I really admire you for caring for 4 heads of long, thick, beautiful hair :Rose:
Thanks girlie. Some days, it gets hard so I have a schedule. But seeing how healthy their hair is, makes it worth it. Q

Dang, that is a lot of conditioner! :lachen: Between myself and DD (she's just a little past SL...but it's much longer w/o dreaded shrinkage) we go thru a LOT of conditioner. Ok so I don't feel too bad then.

Girl I'm glad you cleared that up, because I was wondering how I would get my hair to air dry in less than 4 days with only one banded braid.:lachen:

Lol! Yeah, my hair would be wet for a week.

I've tried 8 sections and of course it dried more quickly, but I'm way too lazy to do that on a regular basis. My arms get tired.

You know I havent tried it....I tried to purchase it last week and Sally didnt have it..

I waonder if your Sally's is made up like the one i go to hten....because the GVP Nexxus stuff is not by the other GVP products.....its down there on the bottom shelf intertwined with the real Nexxus stuff:spinning:....it cost like 5 something a bottle.

When i run out of shampoo....i'm gonna try these.

Thank you for starting the great thread!
Saving my spot by wishful thinking...:grin:

I love the banding idea. When I finally reach bsl and beyond I think this will be the method I air dry in. Currently I just bun it. So far the one main point that keeps sticking out for me is LOW manipulation. No fancy "helicopter" do's or elaborate daily style changes.

Thank you FlowerHair!! I am honored to be mentioned but I still have a couple of inches to go til I am really WL.

Prepoo with Coconut Oil +Shampoo and DC once per week. I used to be a cowashing mad woman but I dont do it anymore. I think I was getting protein overload. I rollerset. I cant remember the last time I used my blow dryer or flat iron..maybe in July. I had to learn that air drying is not my friend so I dont do that anymore unless I am feeling extremely lazy and tired.

I bun everyday or wear my hair in a twist if I want to feel like I am wearing it down..hahaha..I do wear my hair down maybe once a month though.

I take vitamins but not as often as I should. I don't do growth aids that much anymore. Maybe a few times a month if I remember to do it. I do try and drink a protein shake everyday.

Main products: Poos I used Elucence and CON...Conditioners Elucence, Silicon Mix and CON..Deep Conditioners Hairveda Sitrinilah and Motions Moisture Plus..I used to henna every month but I think that was contributing to the protein overload thing so I henna maybe every 3 months and use Aphoghee 2 minute maybe once a month.

This so much simplier from when I first joined the board. I was doing something different to my hair almost every other day using different products and that just gets to be too much. I do agree with the other ladies about low manipulation. I have retained so much hair and gained more thickness since I stopped doing all that cowashing. I do detangle in the shower under running water while the conditioner is in.

I cant wait to really join the ranks of you lovely WL ladies!!

Last edited:
Thank you FlowerHair!! I am honored to be mentioned but I still have a couple of inches to go til I am really WL.

Prepoo with Coconut Oil +Shampoo and DC once per week. I used to be a cowashing mad woman but I dont do it anymore. I think I was getting protein overload. I rollerset. I cant remember the last time I used my blow dryer or flat iron..maybe in July. I had to learn that air drying is not my friend so I dont do that anymore unless I am feeling extremely lazy and tired.

I bun everyday or wear my hair in a twist if I want to feel like I am wearing it down..hahaha..I do wear my hair down maybe once a month though.

I take vitamins but not as often as I should. I don't do growth aids that much anymore. Maybe a few times a month if I remember to do it. I do try and drink a protein shake everyday.

Main products: Poos I used Elucence and CON...Conditioners Elucence, Silicon Mix and CON..Deep Conditioners Hairveda Sitrinilah and Motions Moisture Plus..I used to henna every month but I think that was contributing to the protein overload thing so I henna maybe every 3 months and use Aphoghee 2 minute maybe once a month.

This so much simplier from when I first joined the board. I was doing something different to my hair almost every other day using different products and that just gets to be too much. I do agree with the other ladies about low manipulation. I have retained so much hair and gained more thickness since I stopped doing all that cowashing. I do detangle in the shower under running water while the conditioner is in.

I cant wait to really join the ranks of you lovely WL ladies!!

Yeah, I would lose my daggone mind if I cowashed everyday, and had to do something to it. My scalp hurts just thinking about it!

Back