Waistlength and Beyond – Names + Regimens!

luckiestdestiny

WL checking in....Here is my regimen...I dust often

Prepoo overnight before shampooing
Shampoo 1x a week
Deep condition 2x a week
Co-wash 2x a week
Protein 1x a month
Clarify 1x a month

Spritz, moisturize , and seal ends nightly...

Which products are your fav for each process?

blasianbeauty

Re: Waistlength and Beyond Names + Regimens!

Flowerhair can you press your hair out for us someday? I'd love to see your length straight as well. Or are you opposed to using direct heat? If so, I understand.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Re: Waistlength and Beyond Names + Regimens!

Flowerhair can you press your hair out for us someday? I'd love to see your length straight as well. Or are you opposed to using direct heat? If so, I understand.

LOL I will do that one day, but I'm very lazy... :grin:
I might have to go to a salon and have it roller set first to make it easier...

oooop2

My regi changes according to what I think my hair needs or the style I want to achieve post wash. But the basic regi for the times I dont flat iron: Cowash hair in four sections, do an oil rinse with castor oil, then add conditioner on top of the castor oil, and detangle with the denman. Leave the conditioner and castor oil on for about an hour under conditioning cap and heat, rinse. Towel dry. Add shea butter and kinky curly knot today and put it in twists or plats overnight for a twistout or braidout in the morning. If im flat ironing, I basically do the same washing technique, but I use sabino moisture block instead of the knot today. Blow dry my hair, then flat iron with a chi. I dust and trim when I feel the need to. I also try to keep my protein and moisture in balance according to how my hair feels before I wash it...thats it. :)

How often do you co-wash? And do you have issues w/ tangles or small knots at the ends of your hair?

TIA :)

africa

My regi changes according to what I think my hair needs or the style I want to achieve post wash. But the basic regi for the times I dont flat iron: Cowash hair in four sections, do an oil rinse with castor oil, then add conditioner on top of the castor oil, and detangle with the denman. Leave the conditioner and castor oil on for about an hour under conditioning cap and heat, rinse. Towel dry. Add shea butter and kinky curly knot today and put it in twists or plats overnight for a twistout or braidout in the morning. If im flat ironing, I basically do the same washing technique, but I use sabino moisture block instead of the knot today. Blow dry my hair, then flat iron with a chi. I dust and trim when I feel the need to. I also try to keep my protein and moisture in balance according to how my hair feels before I wash it...thats it. :)

Pretty hair:drunk:! How often have you been flat ironing?

Cichelle

Thanks WL ladies! But why no or limited combing?:ohwell:

I envy those who can go without the comb. I MUST detangle my hair regularly or it will turn into a matted mess. The biggest mistake I've made since the big chop was to try a low manipulation regimen where I went days and days without detangling. Let's just say I won't be repeating that. Fingercombing is not good enough to get out the shed hair, which is the main problem for me. Having said that, I detangle with a seamless comb with a lot of conditioner or something else for slip in my hair. If I band my hair, I can brush it gently daily to remove the shed hair. But in general, I limit my use of combs and/or brushes and do not use them for styling. Only for gently detangling and shed hair removal.

Honi

There is no board.
Hiya!

I relax twice a year with Phyto Index 2
Trim twice a year
Shampoo with shampoo bars, ACV rinse and moist. condish, Giovanni direct leave in once a week. Seal with coconut oil, grapeseed oil, olive oil, cocoa butter mix. Airdry 99% of time in braids. If not airdrying I rollerset.
AO GPB lite protein q 2 weeks
Shakaki rinse/CO wash mid week
Massage scalp with Nyle oil nightly
Moisturize entire length and ends with Hair One olive oil, seal with oil mix and rebraid nightly.
I don't use direct heat on my hair

Lioness

FlowerHair thank you for starting this thread :)
Such inspiring and helpful tips from the contributors :yep:
I am looking forward to being in a position to offer advice on growing healthy WL hair :yep:from experience :Rose:
I love seeing such healthy long hair.

sylver2

Thanks WL ladies! But why no or limited combing?:ohwell:

the least manipulation the best for me. I don't really need to anyway. as long as it looks neat and smooth thats all tht matters. but don't look on the inside:lol:

Says you use direct heat once a month, but wear your hair straight fifty percent of the time. Do you wear it straight through roller set/cross wraps? Or when you do use direct heat, you use a flat iron, but keep it that way for two weeks as you wash every 2 weeks? Thanks...

:yep:i don't do rollersets cause it is a pain for me..lol. but will start tryin again since its better. i blowdry hair straight with comb dryer and then flat iron. Then i will wear hair like that for 2-3 weeks, no combing or manipulation. next wash it would be a braidout wear like tht for 2 weeks. alternate. wear hair straight 50% braidout 50% using direct heat once

wyldcurlz

WL checking in....Here is my regimen...I dust often

Prepoo overnight before shampooing
Shampoo 1x a week
Deep condition 2x a week
Co-wash 2x a week
Protein 1x a month
Clarify 1x a month

Spritz, moisturize , and seal ends nightly...

all of you have such BEAUTIFUL & HEALTHY hair!! Traycee, how often do you straighten your hair? and what do you do to straighten it? (flat iron? roller set? press?)

~~HoneyComb~~

Beautiful hair ladies, all of you. My question is--how long from start to finish on wash day are you spending doing your hair? One hour? Two hours? In between washing (on non wash days), do you detangle at all to cut down on matting? When my hair was BSL stretched natural it would take me about an hour or more to detangle on wash day, and if I wouldn't detangle at least every other day (which took about 1/2 hour) it would be a mess. It's one of the reasons I didn't want to grow any longer because it was just too much work to have that much hair (for me).

I am on a journey to attempt to grow it out once again, but the minute it starts taking over 30 mins for me to style and detangle my hair, then it's over.

Lucia

I envy those who can go without the comb. I MUST detangle my hair regularly or it will turn into a matted mess. The biggest mistake I've made since the big chop was to try a low manipulation regimen where I went days and days without detangling. Let's just say I won't be repeating that. Fingercombing is not good enough to get out the shed hair, which is the main problem for me. Having said that, I detangle with a seamless comb with a lot of conditioner or something else for slip in my hair. If I band my hair, I can brush it gently daily to remove the shed hair. But in general, I limit my use of combs and/or brushes and do not use them for styling. Only for gently detangling and shed hair removal.

Congratz to you and Flowerhair on reaching tailbone. :yay:

Lucia

actually it takes about 5-10 minutes to detangle my hair. the only style thats time consuming is flat ironing my hair and when I use the instyler I dont have to blow dry it straight first just section in braids let it air dry then that iron does it all stretches out the curls and straightens.

Last edited:

Juliagizzle

How much could I pay one of yall Wl ladies to come and make me a regimen and do my hair for the next two months? :lachen: LOL I swear my curls keep shrinking and shrinking. They are playin cruel tricks on me.:nono: They are at SL length right now and it is disturbing me . I'm gonna have to take a break form this forum because it's makes me impatient:dizzy:

~~HoneyComb~~

Beautiful hair ladies, all of you. My question is--how long from start to finish on wash day are you spending doing your hair? One hour? Two hours? In between washing (on non wash days), do you detangle at all to cut down on matting? When my hair was BSL stretched natural it would take me about an hour or more to detangle on wash day, and if I wouldn't detangle at least every other day (which took about 1/2 hour) it would be a mess. It's one of the reasons I didn't want to grow any longer because it was just too much work to have that much hair (for me).

I am on a journey to attempt to grow it out once again, but the minute it starts taking over 30 mins for me to style and detangle my hair, then it's over.

Looking for some WL ladies to answer this question:grin:

nappystorm

Did your regimen change as your hair got longer?

I can't do the same things with my BSL hair that I could my twa.

Flowerchild you're a sweetheart for this thread

~~HoneyComb~~

The only thing that changed was that it was getting longer and longer to detangle my hair, this frustrated me. Perhaps some hair textures take longer to detangle when longer, whereas other hair textures don't take as long. But anything over an hour to me is too long.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time

I spend maybe 30-40 mins in the shower...there's no getting around that at this length :perplexed But I only wash once or twice a week. After that, it takes several hours to airdry...

How much could I pay one of yall Wl ladies to come and make me a regimen and do my hair for the next two months? :lachen: LOL I swear my curls keep shrinking and shrinking. They are playin cruel tricks on me.:nono: They are at SL length right now and it is disturbing me . I'm gonna have to take a break form this forum because it's makes me impatient:dizzy:

Shoulder Length is the most difficult length IMO, especially if you're natural. The curls bounce off the shoulders and the hair shrinks more than at any other length. Just hang in there and watch your hair take off in 6-10 months! :grin:

My regimen is pretty much the same, I just simplified it more and more. Took away the combs and brushes, stopped using heat etc etc. The basics are still the same :)

MizAvalon

The ROCK STAR thread! :clap:

Thanks for starting this FlowerHair, I've enjoyed reading it. It will be very helpful and inspiring to a lot of ladies.:yep:

~~HoneyComb~~

I spend maybe 30-40 mins in the shower...there's no getting around that at this length :perplexed But I only wash once or twice a week. After that, it takes several hours to airdry...

Shoulder Length is the most difficult length IMO, especially if you're natural. The curls bounce off the shoulders and the hair shrinks more than at any other length. Just hang in there and watch your hair take off in 6-10 months! :grin:

My regimen is pretty much the same, I just simplified it more and more. Took away the combs and brushes, stopped using heat etc etc. The basics are still the same :)

Thank you for answering Flowerhair!!! You must have it down to a science, perhaps if I would have hung in there a little longer I would have gotten the hang of it, if you're only spending 30-40 mins on your hair, I think that's great, and it's a reasonable amount of time, imo.

BeautifulRoots

How often do you co-wash? And do you have issues w/ tangles or small knots at the ends of your hair?

TIA :)
I co-wash about every 4 days...I dont have that many problems with the tangles...the only time I have bad tangles is when I leave it in two strand twists for a couple weeks. Those detangling sessions are serious. If I do have some sort of smaller knot in my hair, I try to gently pick it out with the end of a rat tail comb, then continue detangling.

truequeen06

Thank you, please add your tips and tricks :grin:
Your hair is very long too! :)

I'm fairly new to LHCF, but I've been around on other boards. I'm still tweaking my regi a bit.

When wearing my hair natural, I cowash almost everyday and wash and deep condition every week. When I'm wearing my hair straight, I wash after about 2 weeks and use coconut oil to moisturize / seal every 2 or 3 days (at night).

I detangle everyday usually in the shower while my hair is saturated with conditioner. If I don't detangle regularly, my hair gets to be a big matted mess and I always end up losing tons of hair.

I don't use protein much and when I do it's a very light protein. I don't bother with things like aphogee.

I have my regi in more detail in the About Me section of my fotki :yep:.

Cichelle

I know what you mean. For some time I've struggled with the detangling issue. It started to take so long to detangle my hair. I used A LOT of water. I didn't feel right about it, but it REALLY hit home when I moved to a new place that doesn't have the same hot water capacity. I could never get my hair detangled before the hot water ran out. It was and still does take me 30-40 minutes to detangle. It can be much less if I do it daily, but that isn't always practical.

I mentioned above that I found that banding makes a big difference. I can wash my hair, band it and then when it dries, I can take out the bands and brush it. It doesn't go huge east-west style like it would if I brushed it ordinarily. And I can put it up in a bun and brush it gently once a day, dry, with virtually no tangling problems at all.

That being said, my hair takes a long time to dry when banded. It can take two days, depending on the weather. And I think folks would stare at me if I went out with my hair like that. I have a picture of what it looks like in my fotki. I did once gather back the sections in to a ponytail so that I could go to the doctor. But I know I saw people looking kinda funny, since I had about 30 scrunchies in my hair. :rolleyes:

So, in general, if I wash and let it air dry loose (which is what I do most of the time) it will take a long time to detangle when it's that time again, even though I almost always wear my hair in a bun. The only solution I have come up with besides banding is, like I mentioned, to cowash and detangle daily. I did this for over two years. I might go back to it again, since I finally have the time. But I'll be in school next August and I'll have to rely heavily on banding my hair.

Traycee

Which products are your fav for each process?

prepoo

Aussie Moist Conditioner w/Coconut Oil
Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship w/Coconut Oil

Shampoo

Gold Well KeraSilk...But I just started using Dr. Bonners Magic Soap ...Diluted w/water
and oil...Mix in my blog..

Deep condition

Nexxus Humectress w/Coconut Oil and Honey
Aussie 3 min Miracle w/Coconut Oil and Honey

My Favorite Protein right now is Aphogee 2 min Reconstructor
I use ACV Rinses for clarifing....

Traycee

all of you have such BEAUTIFUL & HEALTHY hair!! Traycee, how often do you straighten your hair? and what do you do to straighten it? (flat iron? roller set? press?)

I dont straighten often...I promised myself this new year to straighten more often.....I usually straigten using a flat iron....I rarel do rollersets