Waistlength and Beyond – Names + Regimens!

ladytee2

Hi Flowerhair! Here's my information as you requested :yep:.

My regimen is fairly simple:
  1. Relax with Design Essentials lye relaxer or Straight Request. I have used Affirm when those two weren't available. I usually relax every 8 wks. to 3 mos.
  2. Shampoo and condition bi-weekly with Design Essentials moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.
  3. Deep condition bi-weekly with a moisturizing conditioner like DE's Stimulations conditioner or Aveda's Damage Remedy conditioner. I use DE's leave-in conditioner as well.
  4. Hair condiments: Now jojoba oil, Sabino Moisture Block and Phyto 9.
  5. Styling: my hair is either wrapped (preferred method), rollerset or dried under hooded dryer and flatironed with Chi.
  6. I use a wide tooth comb to comb my hair for styling or detangling on a daily basis.
  7. I wear my hair down or in a ponytail - that's it. I haven't done the protective style thing.
  8. Trims at retouch or longer if a stylist has abused her trimming privileges and cut off more than expected :ohwell:.
  9. It takes my hair 2 yrs. to grow from shoulder length to WL. My hair has been WL before joining LHCF. I was usually talked into cutting my hair off by folks who didn't enjoy doing long hair.

Ok for real Lala you make it sound so easy. Do you think its a genetic trait that your hair grows so fast? Or is it just real strong. You said " Ive been WL before LHCF." And you dont do protective styling. I want to know your secret. I want to be WL in 2yrs. Teach me:prettyplease:

Lavendar

Thanks so much ladies for sharing your regimens and thanks Flowerhair for starting this thread. Nothing like a thread full of SHEROS for inspiration!

lala

Ok for real Lala you make it sound so easy. Do you think its a genetic trait that your hair grows so fast? Or is it just real strong. You said " Ive been WL before LHCF." And you dont do protective styling. I want to know your secret. I want to be WL in 2yrs. Teach me:prettyplease:

Honestly, I think genetics plays a big part for me. My hair is strong, but it's mainly due to the fact that all the women on my Mom's side have long hair and they don't have a regimen. I had the longest hair in my class when I was in high school and my hair was natural. I've cut my hair from WL and it has always grown back.

However, I do take good care of my hair. I keep it moisturized and I don't wear braids or weaves. I only comb/brush my hair when it gets out of place. Oh, and I don't do growth aids.

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Hey Flowerhair....thanks for including me!

My Regimen:

-I follow a low-manipulation regimen which I truly believe helps me retain the most length. I try not to comb my hair much, finger comb as much as possible and when I do comb it's with a very wide tooth comb.

- I try to use direct heat as less as possible if at all. I use it maybe a few times a year and I feel that the less direct heat I use the healthier my hair and the longer it grows. This has been the most important thing to me for hair growth.

-I wear my hair straight or in braid-outs in the fall/winter and curly in the spring/summer. I shampoo once a week and co-wash again that same week only in summer. In winter I shampoo once a week for braid/twist-outs and every two weeks for straight styles/roller-sets

-Deep condition on dry hair twice a month, with Pantene Relaxed and Natural Breakage Defense Deep Conditioning Mask (my fav.) or Elasta QP DPR-11, Cholesterol. I'll either sit under the dryer for 20 minutes or leave on over night covered with a plastic cap.

-Clarify twice a month using baking soda mixed in my shampoo or diluted apple cider vinegar.

-Protein treatments once a month using Motions CPR or Mayonnaise mixed with Amla oil. Follow up with deep conditioner under the dryer.

-Trims/dustings- no schedule, just whenever I see splits or just want to even things up which ends up being about once every three or four months. I can get kinda scissor happy. My hair thrives when it's frequently dusted. Don't hold on to those damaged ends ladies.....trust me they will only hold you back!

-Moisturize daily and seal w/ unrefined coconut oil, cocasta shikaikai oil (Hairveda.com), grapeseed oil or jojoba oil. I like to use as many natural products as I can.

-At night, and when I'm home my hair is always covered. When it's curly I will pin it back and cover.....for braid/twist-outs I'll re-braid at night and for my straight styles I'll cross wrap or band at night.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Thank you Flowerhair for starting this thread. I'm really inspired.
Are there additional relaxed Waistlength ladies?
Do any waistlength ladies still rollerset?

BTW...I think you reached your length goal Flowerhair!

I still rollerset. It's getting harder and harder though. The only way I can do it is in ponytails.

shrinkage?

Flower,
Shrinkage is something many naturals struggle with. I see your inspiring lenght photo and I'm blown away. You stretch you hair down to your tail bone but even unstreteched it hangs long.

I feel like my hair shrinks to 50% of it's stretched length.
Do you think your shrinkage lessened as it got longer?
Is there hope that going from shoulder/APL to MBL the length will lessen the shrinkage??

I scour the boards quite a bit but i wonder if most tips are best suited to particular hair types (natural/relaxed, type 4's vs type 3, those that need protein vs those that need moisture. am i just destined to spend a fortune looking for what my hair likes??

can i just order what you have? :lachen:

My hair still shrinks very much. Probably more than 50%. I'm still surprised it shrinks so much. My hair is fine and does not have much weight to it at all so maybe that has something to do with it.

Would any of you WL ladies say that low manipulation or certain products have attributed to your growth success?

Only low manipulation and very little direct heat use.....I can't say any specific products have helped with growth or retaining length.

Last edited:
Hey Flowerhair....thanks for including me!

My Regimen:

-I follow a low-manipulation regimen which I truly believe helps me retain the most length. I try not to comb my hair much, finger comb as much as possible and when I do comb it's with a very wide tooth comb.

- I try to use direct heat as less as possible if at all. I use it maybe a few times a year and I feel that the less direct heat I use the healthier my hair and the longer it grows. This has been the most important thing to me for hair growth.

-I wear my hair straight or in braid-outs in the fall/winter and curly in the spring/summer. I shampoo once a week and co-wash again that same week only in summer. In winter I shampoo once a week for braid/twist-outs and every two weeks for straight styles/roller-sets

-Deep condition on dry hair twice a month, with Pantene Relaxed and Natural Breakage Defense Deep Conditioning Mask (my fav.) or Elasta QP DPR-11, Cholesterol. I'll either sit under the dryer for 20 minutes or leave on over night covered with a plastic cap.

-Clarify twice a month using baking soda mixed in my shampoo or diluted apple cider vinegar.

-Protein treatments once a month using Motions CPR or Mayonnaise mixed with Amla oil. Follow up with deep conditioner under the dryer.

-Trims/dustings- no schedule, just whenever I see splits or just want to even things up which ends up being about once every three or four months. I can get kinda scissor happy. My hair thrives when it's frequently dusted. Don't hold on to those damaged ends ladies.....trust me they will only hold you back!

-Moisturize daily and seal w/ unrefined coconut oil, cocasta shikaikai oil (Hairveda.com), grapeseed oil or jojoba oil. I like to use as many natural products as I can.

-At night, and when I'm home my hair is always covered. When it's curly I will pin it back and cover.....for braid/twist-outs I'll re-braid at night and for my straight styles I'll cross wrap or band at night.

Poka--I just looovvvveee your curls...if I had your hair type I would be so natural.......You are the reason I use HairVeda.....

sylver2

Hey yall:)
Im relaxed bone straight no lye. Touchup twice a year. 4a/b hair coarse.
I wear braidouts 50% and striaght hair 50% of the time
Shampoo every 2 weeks.
I don't comb my hair except only on wash day. wide tooth thru wet conditioner filled hair.
overnite deep conditions once a month
i don't do protective styles and wear my hair out every single day.
trims twice a year and dustings in between
staple products right now-ntm silk touch which i use as a moisturizer on my dry hair.
Rusk smoother which is my main con leave in. ntm deep conditioning treatment, P&N mask and jojoba oil. use Sabino for flat ironing and john frieda frizz ease for blowdrying
jojoba oil on my ends.
i rub ntm silk touch thru hair every nite then immediately put satin scarf on. Hair comes out sleek, smooth.
probably use direct heat once a month or once every two months

wyldcurlz

WL Ladies - what do you do about your ends?!?!?!
i notice my ends have a tendency to get thin...and a little dry.
i also notice lots of split ends. its annoying!! even worse when stylists want to cut them off.

how do you treat/care for your ends. anything specific? how often do you cut, trim or dust? (if this was posted in your regimens (which i did read) i apologize.) i have no idea what to do about my ends. (also, my hair is highlighted. :perplexed )

i feel that if i could get my ends figured out, i'd finally make it to WL, but i've been stuck at BSL or near BSL far too long. (though i'm grateful!) :)

for instance, Sylver2 - how often do you apply jojoba oil to your ends? when you use neutrogena NTM, do you apply it all over your hair or just to your ends?

FlowerHair - thank you SO MUCH for this post. its nice to have a database of who is waist length (WL) or longer and their regimens!!! its so helpful for those of us who have a goal of WL hair. its great to see the diversity of regimens and hair types! this is such a beneficial thread! thank you thank you thank you!!!

Last edited:

sylver2

i also notice lots of split ends. its annoying!! even worse when stylists want to cut them off.

how do you treat/care for your ends. anything specific? how often do you cut, trim or dust? (if this was posted in your regimens (which i did read) i apologize.) i have no idea what to do about my ends. (also, my hair is highlighted. :perplexed )

i feel that if i could get my ends figured out, i'd finally make it to WL, but i've been stuck at BSL or near BSL far too long. (though i'm grateful!) :)

for instance, Sylver - how often do you apply jojoba oil to your ends? when you use neutrogena NTM, do you apply it all over your hair or just to your ends?

I apply ntm all over hair and jojoba oil to my ends at least twice a day.

Shampoo every 2 weeks.
I don't comb my hair except only on wash day. wide tooth thru wet conditioner filled hair.
staple products right now-ntm silk touch which i use as a moisturizer on my dry hair.
Rusk smoother which is my main con leave in. ntm deep conditioning treatment, P&N mask and jojoba oil. use Sabino for flat ironing and john frieda frizz ease for blowdrying
jojoba oil on my ends.
i rub ntm silk touch thru hair every nite then immediately put satin scarf on. Hair comes out sleek, smooth.

I was wondering when you were going to show up.:grin:

tuffCOOKiE

Hi Flowerhair! Here's my information as you requested :yep:.

My regimen is fairly simple:
  1. Relax with Design Essentials lye relaxer or Straight Request. I have used Affirm when those two weren't available. I usually relax every 8 wks. to 3 mos.
  2. Shampoo and condition bi-weekly with Design Essentials moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.
  3. Deep condition bi-weekly with a moisturizing conditioner like DE's Stimulations conditioner or Aveda's Damage Remedy conditioner. I use DE's leave-in conditioner as well.
  4. Hair condiments: Now jojoba oil, Sabino Moisture Block and Phyto 9.
  5. Styling: my hair is either wrapped (preferred method), rollerset or dried under hooded dryer and flatironed with Chi.
  6. I use a wide tooth comb to comb my hair for styling or detangling on a daily basis.
  7. I wear my hair down or in a ponytail - that's it. I haven't done the protective style thing.
  8. Trims at retouch or longer if a stylist has abused her trimming privileges and cut off more than expected :ohwell:.
  9. It takes my hair 2 yrs. to grow from shoulder length to WL. My hair has been WL before joining LHCF. I was usually talked into cutting my hair off by folks who didn't enjoy doing long hair.

@bolded- does that mean every two weeks?

tuffCOOKiE

Great Thread!
Here is mine:
My regi is
I wash my hair every 4 days. ( faithfully). I use any moisturizing shampoo's like Kera Care, kenra and cream of nature. I only shampoo my scalp, not my hair, always.
I then squeeze out the water instead of toweling blotting.
I apply any conditioners that are super moiturizing like kera care Humecto, kera MC or motions silk. On the hair not the scalp!
I sit under the dryer for 30 minutes. Let my hair cool and rinse in the shower,
I then as i rinse add a little cheapie conditioner and let it sit for 2 minutes and detangle with a detangling comb. ( I use the flow of the shower water to assist in the detangling process, works great!)
I rinse finally with cold water and squeeze all the water out.
I apply my detangler, i use pantene and comb through. At this point I have no tangles and add my leave in. I use a tiny bit of aveda elixir or salerm.
I then lightly apply oil. I usually use jojoba or camelia oil.
I set my hair with water.
i go under the dryer for about 1 hour and tie a silk scarf over my hair for bed. I apply a little oil to the ends and put satin covered foam rollers that I got ( goody brand) .
In the morning take the rollers out and lightly comb and clip up with a claw clip.
I use protien every 6- 8 weeks. I use aphogee 2 min. My hair does not like too much

When you wash every 4 days, do you rollerset every 4 days as well?

unlvgirl

My Crown and Glory
I do not take growth aids. I keep my ends moisturized by applying oils to my ends everyother day. Sometimes in the winter I apply oil daily.

Lucia

for instance, Sylver2 - how often do you apply jojoba oil to your ends? when you use neutrogena NTM, do you apply it all over your hair or just to your ends?

FlowerHair - thank you SO MUCH for this post. its nice to have a database of who is waist length (WL) or longer and their regimens!!! its so helpful for those of us who have a goal of WL hair. its great to see the diversity of regimens and hair types! this is such a beneficial thread! thank you thank you thank you!!!

I moisturize every 2 or 3 days. I use the same conditioners for leave in and cowashes and I sometimes oil, I found I didnt need 2 and 3 products for everything also I wear some kind of protective styles to keep my ends healthy. now if Im wearing my hair out for a couple days then I make sure to put it up and cover it with a satin cap or scarf at night.
I only do S&D dusting trimms on the splits I dont cut into my length and I dont go to stylists. hth

Last edited:

Juliagizzle

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuubcribing... I'm so ashamed, should have had some type of regimen down packed and then I would have been WL by now. :wallbash:
I'm just too busy in my lab/kitchen trying to make a super hair elixirs lol. But I'm seeing simple works best. I think the only thing I'll mix is just oils instead of conditioners.

I hope I answer all questions:
I am relaxed with vitale mo body every 16 weeks. I apply oil to my ends every night ( camellia oil). I trim with every relaxer and I wash, deep con and rollerset every 4 days. I do this because I find that my hair is delicate when wet and having it completing dry works best for me. Once it is dry it is easy to deal with, and the sets make it sleek and shiny. I do not have tangles or breakage. When my hair is wet it tangles and breaks . hth. For me wet hair is a big no no!:nono:
I also do not use growth aids. I eat healthy and excercise 5 days a week. This is also another reason why I wash twice a week. My hair stinks after 4 days from the intense cardio:ohwell:.

Last edited:

BeautifulRoots

My regi changes according to what I think my hair needs or the style I want to achieve post wash. But the basic regi for the times I dont flat iron: Cowash hair in four sections, do an oil rinse with castor oil, then add conditioner on top of the castor oil, and detangle with the denman. Leave the conditioner and castor oil on for about an hour under conditioning cap and heat, rinse. Towel dry. Add shea butter and kinky curly knot today and put it in twists or plats overnight for a twistout or braidout in the morning. If im flat ironing, I basically do the same washing technique, but I use sabino moisture block instead of the knot today. Blow dry my hair, then flat iron with a chi. I dust and trim when I feel the need to. I also try to keep my protein and moisture in balance according to how my hair feels before I wash it...thats it. :)

Last edited:

Traycee

WL checking in....Here is my regimen...I dust often

Prepoo overnight before shampooing
Shampoo 1x a week
Deep condition 2x a week
Co-wash 2x a week
Protein 1x a month
Clarify 1x a month

Spritz, moisturize , and seal ends nightly...

*Happily Me*

I have a very simple regimen as well :yep:

I'm texlaxed and I process my hair every 10 - 16 weeks. I only leave the relaxer on my hair for 5 minutes with very little smoothing. I'm not a big fan of straight hair that's my texture on me. I like volume and natural-looking hair.

My staples are Lekair cholesterol, and CON shampoo.

I cowash approx 5 times a week, even in the winter. I'm hardcore :giggle:. I wash every week - week and a half.

I have discovered that all I need are oils and maybe a lil hair grease. I :love: the mimosa grease from Carol's Daughter. My oils are Olive, castor, grapeseed and glycerin.

Exercising and having a good diet and vitamin reggie are equally important.

luckiestdestiny

Shampoo every 2 weeks.
jojoba oil on my ends.

Says you use direct heat once a month, but wear your hair straight fifty percent of the time. Do you wear it straight through roller set/cross wraps? Or when you do use direct heat, you use a flat iron, but keep it that way for two weeks as you wash every 2 weeks? Thanks...

blasianbeauty

Re: Waistlength and Beyond Names + Regimens!

WL checking in....Here is my regimen...I dust often

Prepoo overnight before shampooing
Shampoo 1x a week
Deep condition 2x a week
Co-wash 2x a week
Protein 1x a month
Clarify 1x a month

Spritz, moisturize , and seal ends nightly...
Goodness girl I l:love:ve your hair!!