TL 2011 ON AND CRAKIN

Vintagecoilylocks

Well since this thread is still going I will set a goal of TL for my crown hear. I am groing out layers. My crown is now just past hip. I have to care for it differently then the lower hair but have not mastered that yet. It is 3c/4a wiry and delicate. :ohwell:

I noticed that even though my shedding was severe it was evenly distributed on my head. So I became thin all over:sad:

What was revealed was a definate distinction of the type of hair. I thought it was evenly distibuted over my head but no. So During the shed my benign neglect was harder on the crown and it suffered not only volume but length. Another theory that was presented to me was that I have a different growth rate and if my crown grew slower before than during the heighten shedding period the the growing rate of my crown was even shorter there by creating a shorter length. That theory makes alitte more since because there was no clear signs of breakage and the crown area was consistintly the same length all the way around my head. :drunk:

It appears to be still growing at a slower rate now but it has made great progress in length since the shedding stopped its still trails in length in inches also.

So I will just let it grow and once my lower level reaches full terminal I will see if the crown will stop at the same length in inches or grow to meet the rest equal in position on my body. :pray:

Wow! Sorry it got so long and it's probably not making sense. :spinning:

Last edited:

Lucia

Ladies updates next month
Or if your wearing your hair out for the holidays well take those updates too
Updates are twice a year now Jan and July so plenty o time to grow grow grow That hair
Don't forget to share the link or post your pics
TIA

Lucia

Benefits of Castor oil for hair

http://hairlyobsessed.blogspot.com/2011/01/benefits-of-castor-oil.html

Since my hair is loving castor oil so much right now, I thought I'd post some of the benefits of this oil:

Castor Oil is derived from the castor bean, and seeds of the castor plant. It has been used for decades as a laxative, a purgative (to induce vomiting) and as a skin softener.

The anti-bacterial and anti-fungicidal properties of Ricinoleic Acid in castor oil protects the scalp and hair from infections which can cause hair loss. Castor oil has omega-9 fatty acids in it that prevents your scalp from drying out and that also nourishes your hair from the roots. Castor oil is a humectant as it draws moisture into the hair and skin. Applying castor oil on hair will keep it looking soft, shiny and strong.

Castor oil coats the hair shaft and smoothes the cuticle layer, sealing in moisture and leaving the hair feeling soft and silky. It is more easily absorbed by the hair, allowing for deeper penetration into the hair shaft. Rubbing castor oil into your scalp and roots on a regular basis helps lost hair grow back and also helps thicken hair that’s already growing. You can also experiment with castor oil for hair on your ends. This rich, thick oil will help your ends becomes shiny and hide the appearance of frizzy, damaged, and split ends. Over time, as you trim damage away, you'll notice your hair won't develop split ends as easily.

Castor oil can be used in several different ways for hair:
• As a leave-in.
• Combined with other ingredients to make your conditioner or moisturizer.
• As a pre-poo or hot oil treatment.

As with any hot oil treatment, it is important to avoid overuse of castor oil, especially if you are prone to oily scalp and hair conditions. For hair that is damaged, a hot oil treatment is typically indicated as a monthly treatment, while weekly moisturizing treatments are more useful to restore the good condition to the hair. Since my hair is fine, I have to be careful not to use too much. Otherwise, hair becomes extremely oily and stiff.

Castor oil also thickens eyelashes and eyebrows.
I’ve been rubbing a little castor oil over the base of my eyelashes before bed. This should prevent thinning and promote rapid growth, leading to thicker and fuller lashes. Many commercial products for eyelashes actually contain castor oil. If you want to thicken sparse eyebrows, rub a little castor oil over the brow line before bed.

Here are some non-hair benefits of castor oil:

*Softens thick calluses and removes corns
*Cures skin infections like athlete’s foot and ringworm
*Prevents stretch marks
*Removes moles and warts
*Removes age spots (liver spots)
*Cures acne
*Keeps the skin looking smooth, youthful and unlined
*Breaks up external and internal scar tissue, and prevents new scars from forming
*Soothes shingles

more info

http://www.kristinasoil.com/fyi.html

http://www.untamedtresses.com/content/108-sorting-out-hair-oil-confusion.html

When learning to use oil to condition hair, sorting out what oil to use can be rather confusing. Some people swear by one oil for their hair while others claim that the same oil is terrible for their hair and they will claim another oil as their holy grail of oils.

There is also the issue of oils for the scalp vs. oil for the hair. Not every oil that is good for your hair, is necessarily the best oil for massaging your scalp - although it can be.

Let me briefly tell you what I know about massage oil. I believe the main criteria for a good scalp oil would include an oil that is noncomedogenic, readily absorbed into the skin and of course would take into consideration personal allergies and skin sensitivities. Here are some of the more common skin/massage oils.

Oils said to be good for skin:

almond
avocado
castor oil
coconut
grape seed
jojoba
olive
seabuckthorn
sesame
sunflower

While castor oil is supposed to be very nice for the scalp it is rather thick so it is better to thin it with a lighter weight oil when using it for a scalp massage.

But where things get really confusing for many people is when oil is used to condition the hair after it has left the scalp area. Generally oil for conditioning is used on the very ends of the hair or from the ears down since the hair closer to the scalp doesn't often need as much help from extra oil unless it's been stripped. But people will oil the entire length of the hair as a pre-shampoo conditioning treatment.

This is where it gets tricky and not everybody agrees on what is the best oil for hair. I believe this is because of different hair types and what we hope the oil will do for our hair. So in order to shed some light on this situation and help you to figure out what oils might be good choices for you I'm sharing just a bit of oil/hair science I found a while back.

Coconut oil is one of the most touted hair oils you will hear about. Coconut oil is said to help prevent protein loss when washing hair. This makes it a good oil to use in your hair as a pre-shampoo treatment. Coconut oil is one oil that is proven to penetrate the hair shaft. To give it time to 'do it's thing' most people use it as a pre-treatment for an hour or more, sometimes even applying it the night before.

As far as different oils working better for different hair types, I believe much of this difference has to do with how the different oils work on the hair. Some oils penetrate the hair shaft and other oils sit on top. A while back I compiled a list of oils and classified them as to which oils penetrated and which oils sit on top of hair.

Straight chain glycerides are oils that penetrate:

Avocado
Camellia
Castor Oil
Coconut
Olive
Palm Kernel
Sweet Almond

Oils that partially penetrate:

Meadowfoam seed

Polyunsaturated oils sit on top of hair:

Broccoli Seed
Grapeseed
Jojoba
Sesame
Sunflower

So my theory is that if you are looking for an oil to fortify the hair strand, then choosing one of the penetrating oils is what you will want to try. If you are hoping to seal moisture in or keep humidity out, then I believe choosing one of the oils that coats the hair shaft is a better choice for you. If you are looking to do both, then a mixture of oils from both classes of oils is what you would want to experiment with. Or using a light amount of penetrating oil first and then following with a light amount of an oil that coats the hair.

I also think that whether the hair is damp or dry when you apply the oil also need to be considered. When the hair is damp, after freshly washing, the cuticle is still raised bit. I wonder if this doesn't help the oils that penetrate to get into the hair shaft since the cuticle is already a bit more open. So when you experiment with the best routine for your hair, also factor in how your hair responds to damp oiling vs. dry oiling.

Last edited:

LoveLongLocks

Hi Lucia & other "Crakin" ladies :wave:
I am glad to see this thread continue!
Congrats to
@ nadiacurly
@ MarcustheWu
Vintagecoilylocks
- The updates are amazing....

I am still @ Hip Length *sigh*, because I started at waist this year. I knew it would be a long shot.
Long layers work better for my style - so I won't be a full "hip" or "tailbone". However, my hair is very healthy and thick this year. I embrace my curls more, and can count on one hand how many times I have used heat on my hair this past year. This has allowed my hair to need less trims, and stay very thick. My new long term goal is waist length un- stretched, so I will just continue to grow healthy hair. I will be back to post a pic for an update.

- Also I like the, I like the idea for updates twice a year, so that we all keep up with each others progress.:yep:

Dee Raven

Ok, so here goes. My end of the year update. I didn't make TL, but I got pretty close considering all the cutting I did. I think I cut about 4 inches over the year. I was hoping for more blunt ends, but that didn't happen (see picture 2). I kind of jacked up my hair a little bit with too much flatironing during the middle of the year too. (Lesson learned) My hair at my crown is shorter than the back by a couple of inches so hopefully in this coming year, with continued trimming I will be able to get a nice blunt cut. How are you guys dealing with the "V". I hate it. :sad: As you can see it's not really a "V" but whatever. I really want to cut back to WL, but I am going to try to resist the urge as it hasn't helped me at all this year. Would love to hear you guys' thoughts on the matter?

Lucia , are we going to continue using this thread for 2012 TL updates, or are we switching to the other one?

Attachments

• Dec 2012.jpg
    Dec 2012.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 93
  • plans 2012.jpg
    plans 2012.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 85

Lucia

Ok, so here goes. My end of the year update. I didn't make TL, but I got pretty close considering all the cutting I did. I think I cut about 4 inches over the year. I was hoping for more blunt ends, but that didn't happen (see picture 2). I kind of jacked up my hair a little bit with too much flatironing during the middle of the year too. (Lesson learned) My hair at my crown is shorter than the back by a couple of inches so hopefully in this coming year, with continued trimming I will be able to get a nice blunt cut. How are you guys dealing with the "V". I hate it. :sad: As you can see it's not really a "V" but whatever. I really want to cut back to WL, but I am going to try to resist the urge as it hasn't helped me at all this year. Would love to hear you guys' thoughts on the matter?

Lucia , are we going to continue using this thread for 2012 TL updates, or are we switching to the other one?

Looks healthy to me, yeah it's a little uneven but if you give it some time the rest of your hair will catch up and even things up. Also, I think you should PS it and leave it alone and in 2-3 months do a dusting trim.
As you and everyone else knows I cut back alot of hair going for blunt ends and that delayed my from reaching my goal sooner and it wasn't worth it cause it's growing back in the same way it's a U shape now but I know where it' headed. :ohwell: it is what it is. I'll blunt the hemline after I reach goal.
Were only updating 2x a year Jan and July on this one, and I'll still post some hair info. I'll still be updating bi-annually in this thread though, it's up to you if you want to keep up with both. hth

Last edited:

Vintagecoilylocks

Your hair is coming along very nicely. I have a question because I have layers in my hair. If I pulled it all down it gives the appearance of thin ends however, when I section off my layers each layer is fairly even. Have you noticed if its the different levels of your hair that causes the appearance of thin or are your long and short hairs random?:spinning:
Right now my crown and middle levels are trailing my lower level. My crown just barely past hip, the middle level is touching BCL and the lower is at lower TBL. So my Goal for 2012 is to get my crown to full BCL.

Vintagecoilylocks

Were only updating 2x a year Jan and July on this one, and I'll still post some hair info. I'll still be updating bi-annually in this thread though, it's up to you if you want to keep up with both. hth

I am much too impatient for that so I will probably use the spring and fall equinox and the summer and winter soltice for update.

So For my 2011 winter update I can report that I really needed a break from the micro braids and have it in only 7 braids. Have noticed the weight more this week so it may not last for long. Bumped up my washings to every 5 days. Winter dryness was setting in. That means detangling more often so I will monitor the effects carelully. I measure progress with how far from the seat of a chair I sit on. My hair is lop sided because my right side is on the chair, my center is touching and my left side has a inch to go. This is my lower longest hairs. My crown is just a pinch past Hip and my middle is touching BCL.

I will check back in middle March 2012. Great growing ladies. See you at TBL:spinning:

Dee Raven

So I had a horrible night of sleep last night because of that update I posted. I was ready to cut my hair back to MBL and I woke up thinking about it. I know, I'm so hair obsessed. But anyways, I decided to take a few more shots after I slept with it bunned at night. And I'm a lot more encouraged. What do you guys think? This is what I'm thinking. I have some heat damage in the last few inches of my hair because of my last few salon visits (years ago), so I think that it gets straighter than the hair at the top of my head. So after sleeping on the hair, I think the top got a little straighter and now it looks more proportionate. So anyways, Lucia I'm taking your advice. I'll grow it out for 3 - 4 more months, I should be at TL, then I'll just keep trimming every few months.

Vintagecoilylocks , I have unplanned different layers because my crown area is really fine and super dry. So it needs very delicate treatment and I think the salon stylists were ripping it out because I haven't gone to the salon in almost 2 years and this is the longest it's been. So I wish I could say I was growing out a planned layer, but I guess as long as it's growing that's okay.

Attachments

• Dec 2012 (2).jpg
    Dec 2012 (2).jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 114

NJoy

Here I grow again!
So I had a horrible night of sleep last night because of that update I posted. I was ready to cut my hair back to MBL and I woke up thinking about it. I know, I'm so hair obsessed. But anyways, I decided to take a few more shots after I slept with it bunned at night. And I'm a lot more encouraged. What do you guys think? This is what I'm thinking. I have some heat damage in the last few inches of my hair because of my last few salon visits (years ago), so I think that it gets straighter than the hair at the top of my head. So after sleeping on the hair, I think the top got a little straighter and now it looks more proportionate. So anyways, Lucia I'm taking your advice. I'll grow it out for 3 - 4 more months, I should be at TL, then I'll just keep trimming every few months.

Dee Raven

Girl, your hair looks beautiful and healthy. You ends look beautiful, as well. Whatchutalkinbout? :lick:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Dee Raven

Yep. I saw 'em. Still looks fine to me. Long and lovely. Just fanned out more. And if you have any layers, like VC stated, that could be contributing to the thinner ends look. But, you know what you're trying to achieve so, get your trims on as you see fit. Buuuuuut, for the record, I love it. Sleep well, lady. You're looking good on this end. :spinning:

Vintagecoilylocks

Vintagecoilylocks , I have unplanned different layers because my crown area is really fine and super dry. So it needs very delicate treatment and I think the salon stylists were ripping it out because I haven't gone to the salon in almost 2 years and this is the longest it's been. So I wish I could say I was growing out a planned layer, but I guess as long as it's growing that's okay.

Yes this new photo is better. Not so bad after all. I agree you should hold off and give it some time. You can always trim but you can't get it back if you trim prematurely.:yep:

Lita

Your hair is coming along very nicely. I have a question because I have layers in my hair. If I pulled it all down it gives the appearance of thin ends however, when I section off my layers each layer is fairly even. Have you noticed if its the different levels of your hair that causes the appearance of thin or are your long and short hairs random?:spinning:
Right now my crown and middle levels are trailing my lower level. My crown just barely past hip, the middle level is touching BCL and the lower is at lower TBL. So my Goal for 2012 is to get my crown to full BCL.

Vintagecoilylocks My hair is the same way,due to the layers..If I take a picture of the back it looks ok...If I add all of my hair together..Looks like one un-even mess...So just slowly clipping the ends...(My Hair Grows In a Natural V shape)

Happy Hair Growing!

LoveLongLocks

Beautiful progress Dee Raven.

I am posting this years last photo. I have half up in a bun with the a light light iron. I have been parked at the same length since this Summer, due to trims ect. -
I am trimming in a Deep V with layers in the front, because I like to keep my hair thick.
Needless to say, I am still grazing Hip Length - no where near TBL at all. I am really lacking the patience with my hair to get past this length. Hopefully I can over come my "thick" end obsession to reach my goal length of full hip/ grazing tail in 2012. If I can make it there, then I can trim up.:ohwell:

Attachments

• 078.JPG
    078.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 114

Lucia

NJoy
This will be the first time I'll use crisco to straighten usually I do't use anything and put a dab of coconut oil on the ends after I flat iron.
I'll let you know if I like the crisco or not.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
NJoy
This will be the first time I'll use crisco to straighten usually I do't use anything and put a dab of coconut oil on the ends after I flat iron.
I'll let you know if I like the crisco or not.

Ok. Cool! 'Cuz I'm thinking about trying it too.

Vintagecoilylocks

Vintagecoilylocks My hair is the same way,due to the layers..If I take a picture of the back it looks ok...If I add all of my hair together..Looks like one un-even mess...So just slowly clipping the ends...(My Hair Grows In a Natural V shape)

Happy Hair Growing!

I joined the braid twist challenge for 3 months. At the end of the challenge it will be one year since my reclaimation program started. Since last March my layers have become more visible as 3 definate layers. I may consider trimming the two top layers to be more pronounce as actual layers then go from there. That may give it a neater appearance with my natural curl. I don't wear it out but knowing the crazy way it is still bothers me. It may help in the growing out process too. Since my ultimate goal is to wear a nice braid the layers do effect how nice the braid looks. :sad:

It seems a nice braid will require my crown hair being longer in inches and fall alittle longer on my body then the lower layer. Right now that is a long journey for me to reach TBL with the crown and then reach it in fullness. But a fun journey :yep:

Lucia

Vintagecoilylocks
Sounds like a plan how did you like the medium small twists any strain on your hair?
Lita
You too
I guess we just accept the V shape is just how our hair grows. At least your at a length where you can maintain a blunt hemline I'm not where I want to be lengthwise yet. It I know it's coming soon.

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
@NJoy
Is the avatar pic you?

Lucia

Yes. I posted a thread about me wearing my fave wig as my avi and my hair now actually being that long and thick (like Mufasa, I said). So, I added a phonytail to make my NEW visualization pic, which is in my avi. That's my new goal length. I recommended others doing the same. Making a visualization pic and using it as profile pic or in siggy. That way you see it all the time. :yep:

Lucia

Lucia

Yes. I posted a thread about me wearing my fave wig as my avi and my hair now actually being that long and thick (like Mufasa, I said). So, I added a phonytail to make my NEW visualization pic, which is in my avi. That's my new goal length. I recommended others doing the same. Making a visualization pic and using it as profile pic or in siggy. That way you see it all the time. :yep:

Whaaaaaat :lol: you crazy but in the best way. I'm going to break out the weave then actually I don't have any weaves or wigs shopping excuse mmmm....I wonder what length I should buy ...... I'm going to use your idea as soon as I get over this cold :sick:
I'm delaying my end of year reveals until I can wet my hair.
I'm going to look that post up thanks